LMU-DCOM Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehd School

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought it was about time one of these was started. If you have been accepted to DCOM and have put a deposit down or fully intend to matriculate here please feel free to add to discussion. I thought this would be a helpful place to discuss housing, technology, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in. Pals for life!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking forward to getting a macbook air!

Reactions: 1 user
Looking forward to getting a macbook air!
I'll be utilizing mediasite 100% for lecture purposes. Right now it's a toss up between getting a macbook air and external monitor or getting an iMac and cheaper laptop. I've had a macbook pro for 3 years that really needs upgrading before I start medical school. But, the 13" macbook pro makes me want something larger for lectures.

I talked to a current student over the weekend who uses an extra monitor at home for media site. He plays the lecture on one and uses his laptop screen for the ppt. slides and taking notes. I also recommend the Wacom pad if using mac.

Last edited:
Has anyone completed the FAFSA yet? Was it easy?

I am unsure if you guys are aware or not, but there is a facebook page for 2018 DCOM accepted students. There are many posts from 2018 students and answers from second, third and fourth years. People post listings for housing, books, equipment etc. I would recommend that you join the page as it will allow you to ask any questions you have and get detailed responses from people who a little farther ahead in the medical process. There is nothing wrong with this page, but facebook will have many more resources as well as allow you to get to know the faces of your fellow classmates.

I am unsure if you guys are aware or not, but there is a facebook page for 2018 DCOM accepted students. There are many posts from 2018 students and answers from second, third and fourth years. People post listings for housing, books, equipment etc. I would recommend that you join the page as it will allow you to ask any questions you have and get detailed responses from people who a little farther ahead in the medical process. There is nothing wrong with this page, but facebook will have many more resources as well as allow you to get to know the faces of your fellow classmates.

Link?

Very nice to see the page. I was there and just got back today. Got a house for myself. My family saw the school and area. We had a nice time.

Thanks for the information. I've loved not having a facebook for the past few years. I wish there was a way around making a profile, but there's too much info to miss out on.
Very nice to see the page. I was there and just got back today. Got a house for myself. My family saw the school and area. We had a nice time.

Congrats! My fiance' and I are renting a house out in Speedwell. From our porch to the DCOM parking lot is 10 minutes, and the house is cheeeeap. Couldn't be happier ... but severely dreading packing all of my stuff and moving. Going to be a ton of work (and $$$).

Thanks for the information. I've loved not having a facebook for the past few years. I wish there was a way around making a profile, but there's too much info to miss out on.

Congrats! My fiance' and I are renting a house out in Speedwell. From our porch to the DCOM parking lot is 10 minutes, and the house is cheeeeap. Couldn't be happier ... but severely dreading packing all of my stuff and moving. Going to be a ton of work (and $$$).

I know what you mean. But I will be bringing everything I have. With a wife and 3 kids, I am gonna need everything. Plus I really don't see myself going back to Indiana after I graduate, but you never know. So we will see what ever happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my FAFSA. I have a red flag on my credit report, and that was a medical bill that was turned over to collections. I've been fighting it for two years, because it's also on my parent's credit report... and they have documentation that they paid the bill in full before it was even turned over to collections. :rolleyes:

Anyway, on my report it states that the balance has been paid in full. Pat Peace stated that she doesn't believe this will hinder my financial aid at all but I'm still nervous. Such a bogus situation.

Just submitted my FAFSA. I have a red flag on my credit report, and that was a medical bill that was turned over to collections. I've been fighting it for two years, because it's also on my parent's credit report... and they have documentation that they paid the bill in full before it was even turned over to collections. :rolleyes:

Anyway, on my report it states that the balance has been paid in full. Pat Peace stated that she doesn't believe this will hinder my financial aid at all but I'm still nervous. Such a bogus situation.

I can imagine how upsetting that would be. I am already looking for a co-signer :nod:

I can imagine how upsetting that would be. I am already looking for a co-signer :nod:

Does your situation require a co-signer? I'm hoping I don't need one because the only person I have to co-sign is my fiance who is also attending DCOM.

Does your situation require a co-signer? I'm hoping I don't need one because the only person I have to co-sign is my fiance who is also attending DCOM.

Yep my situation does. I lost my business and house in the east coast real estate game a few years back.

Yep my situation does. I lost my business and house in the east coast real estate game a few years back.
Aw man. Sorry to hear that. Well congrats on landing on your feet! You've got a lot of life experience that will be invaluable along the way.

It's very unfortunate that we won't get our loan money until we're up and running in the fall semester. It's going to put a serious bind on my finances.

I have a macbook from 2011 that is too slow for med school, but was just offered $400 for it. However, if I sell it I won't have a laptop for orientation week (because of damn loan money). Is there a way to get by orientation week without a laptop? I assume we'll need it for testing software.

On a separate note- if anyone is looking for a house to rent in Harrogate- I have a cute place. It's 3 bedroom 1 bath and it's less than 5 minutes from DCOM. I am class of 2015 and I loved living so close. $775
A high efficiency washer and dryer is included. Pets are OK with deposit. No smoking please.
Please contact me- [email protected] for more information and pictures.

Last edited:
On a separate note- if anyone is looking for a house to rent in Harrogate- I have a cute place. It's 3 bedroom 1 bath and it's less than 5 minutes from DCOM. I am class of 2015 and I loved living so close. $775
A high efficiency washer and dryer is included. Pets are OK with deposit. No smoking please.
Please contact me- [email protected] for more information and pictures.

Sorry- the house has rented.

The fall 2014 schedule has been posted! This makes it real. I'm becoming a little more terrified each day.

Also, it looks like we're going at a slower pace than the past year did. And two more tests. I'm pretty happy with that.

The fall 2014 schedule has been posted! This makes it real. I'm becoming a little more terrified each day.

Also, it looks like we're going at a slower pace than the past year did. And two more tests. I'm pretty happy with that.

Sounds good to me, I mean slower pace and 2 more tests. Don't get me wrong, I don't love the tests but may be more chances to get better. I will take that.

Why did you choose to attend LMU-DCOM over other schools? What do you love/ best things about this school? what do you wish would change?