LMU-DCOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am kind of a lurker. I got accepted back in November.

I wanted to say congratulations to cbest for getting accepted.

I also wanted to mention that when you fill out your FAFSA, because you are going into a professional school, you are automatically considered independent and thus don't need to fill out parental information.

Finally, I wanted to mention that I recently emailed Dr. Leo for some more information about the hotel apartments and he mentioned that there will be a night stand for the bed and that the kitchenette will contain a stovetop, microwave and cabinets for storage.

Thanks for the info Cat! He did not mention anything about a fridge did he??? Or if one was not included, what size was acceptable... -Fellow Lurker

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info Cat! He did not mention anything about a fridge did he??? Or if one was not included, what size was acceptable... -Fellow Lurker

You know what, I didn't ask because I assumed that it would be included. What I would like to know is, if there is a refrigerator, is there some sort of freezer component to it? Also, I remember in the original drawing layout that Dr. Leo sent in the email that the 1 bedroom apartment had a drawing of a couch on it, does that mean they are providing couches as well?

I didn't ask because I figured my questions would be answered once I see pictures of completed rooms. But who knows when we will see those pictures.

By the way, if anyone else is still interested in the medical mission trip to San Raymundo, Guatemala, here's a link of the pictures that were taken. It'll kind of give you a feel of what it's going to be like.

You know what, I didn't ask because I assumed that it would be included. What I would like to know is, if there is a refrigerator, is there some sort of freezer component to it? Also, I remember in the original drawing layout that Dr. Leo sent in the email that the 1 bedroom apartment had a drawing of a couch on it, does that mean they are providing couches as well?

I didn't ask because I figured my questions would be answered once I see pictures of completed rooms. But who knows when we will see those pictures.

When I called and asked about the apt. a month ago Dr. Leo said there was a full size fridge with a freezer, and they had not made a decision on whether they were providing couches or not. I wish they would post completed pictures of the interior soon!!!:)

When I called and asked about the apt. a month ago Dr. Leo said there was a full size fridge with a freezer, and they had not made a decision on whether they were providing couches or not. I wish they would post completed pictures of the interior soon!!!:)

wow DCOM is doing great, i love the management. Who knows we could be the next big school in a few years?

I think thats a definate possibility.... theres definately some good leadership and vision for DCOM's future....

awesome, radiologists have it good these dayz. If you come to DCOM def putting you on the surgery club.

Sounds great. We need to be as involved as possible to get into the specialties.

MJB: Yes, the deposit is in.

wow DCOM is doing great, i love the management. Who knows we could be the next big school in a few years?

I totally agree, and we are going to be able to say that we graduated from there!! VERY AWESOME!!:D :D

Congrats Dr. I!

So, who wants to share a sweet Lake house with us on Norris Lake? I wanna boat and some more feeshin' poles...and a lake front house!

The road our house is on splits and goes down to the boat docks. I think they are maybe two miles from our house. Supposedly it is some of the best fishing in the area, or so the owner of the house told us. My son is going nuts waiting to go fishing. So, I won't share a house with you, but we will come fishing!:D :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
BBQ! Saturday, August 4th. Time to be announced at a later date. :D

can't remember if I shared the sailing club website but it is http://www.concordyachtclub.org/. I anticipate racing in a regatta or two this May. It is an hour and a half drive from the school. I didn't see the yacht club this time but will definately be part of it in the future. Being a competitive sailor is not something I can just let go of.

I was working and met someone who was familiar with the social scene in Harragote. He said that the closet bar type of hang out was in Tazwell and called the Mustang. He also warned me not to go to a place called CRS which was also in Tazwell. He was a big guy and wouldn't go to CRS as it was dubbed the "cut, rape and stab" club.

Hi everyone. I was accepted in December but am just now getting around to posting some information about myself.

My name is Brent, was born in Anderson, SC and certainly fit into the non-traditional category...I am 39 years old! I received my undergraduate education at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, VA. For most of my professional life I have been a funeral director, and presently manage and operate the largest funeral home in Charlotte, NC but have always wanted to be a doctor. I am very thankful for this opportunity to pursue my dream. I have had the good fortune to travel quite a bit and live in a lot of places (mostly big cities) but I am a country boy at heart and look forward to living and eventually practicing in a rural area.

I am single and have never been married but do have two wonderful dogs who I think will also like the country. Some of my hobbies include camping, hiking, most sports and especially football (Clemson Tiger and Carolina Panther fan here!) and of course my pups.

It will be great to meet you guys...we are going to have a terrific class!

Hi everyone. I was accepted in December but am just now getting around to posting some information about myself.

My name is Brent, was born in Anderson, SC and certainly fit into the non-traditional category...I am 39 years old! I received my undergraduate education at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, VA. For most of my professional life I have been a funeral director, and presently manage and operate the largest funeral home in Charlotte, NC but have always wanted to be a doctor. I am very thankful for this opportunity to pursue my dream. I have had the good fortune to travel quite a bit and live in a lot of places (mostly big cities) but I am a country boy at heart and look forward to living and eventually practicing in a rural area.

I am single and have never been married but do have two wonderful dogs who I think will also like the country. Some of my hobbies include camping, hiking, most sports and especially football (Clemson Tiger and Carolina Panther fan here!) and of course my pups.

It will be great to meet you guys...we are going to have a terrific class!

WOW! Interesting background! Very nice to meet you.:D

My name is Brent, was born in Anderson, SC and certainly fit into the non-traditional category...I am 39 years old!

LOL! You say that like you are old :laugh: I know there are quite a few of us who are "older". I am 33 with four beautiful children.

Congrats on your acceptance...Looking forward to meeting you.

Question for those staying in the Med student housing....

What do we do during the summers? Continue living in apartments and pay rent out-of-pocket (since the cost of attendance budget only allows for 10 months)? Move out during summers? Either?

Thanks

What do we do during the summers? Continue living in apartments and pay rent out-of-pocket (since the cost of attendance budget only allows for 10 months)? Move out during summers? Either?

Thanks

nope, unlike dorms we are living in independent apartments owned by DCOM. We are obligated to pay the rent through out the year, unless you wanna move out during the summer? which would be an annoying process...

Thanks

Well I was going to put my stuff in storage and just go back to CA for a couple of months and visit with friends and family.

From what I understand the apartments are year round. I sure hope so cause I hate moving.....

Hi all. I just found this thread but was accepted in December. I was reading the posts and found that two others were from, or live/lived in Fort Worth at some point. I have a BS in Biochemistry from TCU here in Fort Worth, and an MS in Medical Science from UNTHSC-TCOM, also here in Fort Worth. My wife (graduating from Law School in May) and I, as well as our 6 dogs are extremely thrilled about DCOM. I'd like to get together with those in the Fort Worth area before we make that journey to Harrogate. Let me know.....

us horned frogs are taking over DCOM!!!

I read your profile, and see that you were a Scribe at Harris, is that right? I scribed for Dr. Trotter too, but way back in 1998. I can't believe its been almost 10 years.

Hi all. I just found this thread but was accepted in December. I was reading the posts and found that two others were from, or live/lived in Fort Worth at some point. I have a BS in Biochemistry from TCU here in Fort Worth, and an MS in Medical Science from UNTHSC-TCOM, also here in Fort Worth. My wife (graduating from Law School in May) and I, as well as our 6 dogs are extremely thrilled about DCOM. I'd like to get together with those in the Fort Worth area before we make that journey to Harrogate. Let me know.....

Hello! I am starting at Dcom in August and my husband is graduating from law school in May as well. What kind of law does your wife want to practice? Has she found a job in the area yet?

She is not certain at this point but interested in family law, estate planning / probate, and corporate law. She is currently looking for work in the Knoxville area but has not secured anything yet. She is mostly focused at this point on finishing school and then preparing for the Texas Bar Exam in July. Then she will have to take the Tennessee Bar in February. What about your husband? Nice to see another Doctor/Lawyer married couple!

Bump...we need to start using this forum and get out of pre-osteo. :)

I agree, new threads keep starting there, but no one is using this one. :confused:

haha. I said that too and then I started the new thread in the pre-osteo...What a dork!:laugh:

Questions for those of you from the area.

What can we expect as far as property taxes go on vehicles, etc...?

Also, what is the sales tax like down there?

I'm almost 100% sure we'll be living in Halls....if my wife ends up working out west near the intersection of I-40 and 140, about how long would it take her to commute that distance?

Any help is appreciated.

Questions for those of you from the area.

What can we expect as far as property taxes go on vehicles, etc...?

Also, what is the sales tax like down there?

I'm almost 100% sure we'll be living in Halls....if my wife ends up working out west near the intersection of I-40 and 140, about how long would it take her to commute that distance?

Any help is appreciated.

No property taxes on vehicles. There is tags,registration and wheel tax ~$60

Sales tax totally sucks...9.25%, even on groceries.

I live about 8 miles west of 140 (Pellissipi Pkwy) and I-40 and it takes me about 1.5 hrs to Harrogate. It's a long drive so we are moving to Halls (most likely), Corryton, or Clinton. From the 140/I-40 junction Halls is around 40 min. -depending on the traffic. I guess she would be looking at Parkwest, Baptist West, or Fort Sanders West?

Thanks...I wondered what the catch was on taxes...home property taxes seem low...none on vehicles (gotta figure out boats)...etc...

I figured sales tax would be brutal.

She's looking at many options, including offices/clinics.

I can't believe there are NO property taxes on cars.

How about income tax?

Thanks...I wondered what the catch was on taxes...home property taxes seem low...none on vehicles (gotta figure out boats)...etc...

I figured sales tax would be brutal.

She's looking at many options, including offices/clinics.

I can't believe there are NO property taxes on cars.

How about income tax?

Nope, no state income tax either! Plus, gas is way, way cheaper than the north. Right now it is ~$2.40 a gallon for regular, I think -I haven't looked since my last fill up.

Oh, St. Mary's North is at the I-75/Emory rd exit *Halls and Powell*

St. Mary's North would be sweetness...

Not sure when certain things are opening though.

She'd really like to stick with Outpatient surgery I think. She has an aversion to floor nursing.

SO, low property taxes on real estate, none on vehicles, no income tax, etc..

How does the state pay for anything (schools/roads/public services, etc)?

This is good info...thank you much.

St. Mary's North would be sweetness...

Not sure when certain things are opening though.

She'd really like to stick with Outpatient surgery I think. She has an aversion to floor nursing.

SO, low property taxes on real estate, none on vehicles, no income tax, etc..

How does the state pay for anything (schools/roads/public services, etc)?

This is good info...thank you much.

:laugh: They don't! That is why I am terrified of putting my kids in public school, but there doesn't seem to be a way to afford private after I start school.

As for public services, they are alway talking about cutting people and services from TennCare (medicaid).

Ok...

This is going to be interesting for us...we moved to Misery (that was on purpose) from Kansas (both natives) where property taxes are a bit higher on houses, cars, etc...

There was a noticeable drop in the road quality...schools in KS are pretty good for the most part (still can't figure out why Jim Ryun keeps trying to legislate Science out of the classroom though)....so I wondered.

The roads in TN seem pretty good though..and I've heard that Knox Co. schools are pretty decent. I guess living in Halls (county) is an advantage since you don't have to pay city taxes...from what I heard.

Can you tell me if you pay city taxes if you work in Knoxville, but don't necessarily live there? That's how KC, MO works...if you work or live in KCMO, you have to pay a 1% income tax.

Thanks for all the help! St. Mary's North posted some new jobs today that we're quite interested in...just wish we had some connections down there!

Ok...

This is going to be interesting for us...we moved to Misery (that was on purpose) from Kansas (both natives) where property taxes are a bit higher on houses, cars, etc...

There was a noticeable drop in the road quality...schools in KS are pretty good for the most part (still can't figure out why Jim Ryun keeps trying to legislate Science out of the classroom though)....so I wondered.

The roads in TN seem pretty good though..and I've heard that Knox Co. schools are pretty decent. I guess living in Halls (county) is an advantage since you don't have to pay city taxes...from what I heard.

Can you tell me if you pay city taxes if you work in Knoxville, but don't necessarily live there? That's how KC, MO works...if you work or live in KCMO, you have to pay a 1% income tax.

Thanks for all the help! St. Mary's North posted some new jobs today that we're quite interested in...just wish we had some connections down there!

No city income tax either only city prop tax if you live within the city limits.

Most Knox co. schools are decent with West Knoxville schools being the best.

Has anyone heard anything about a school sponsored (or led) health and wellness program?

I think this would be a great thing.

Looks like this thread is gonna be just you and me for a while :laugh: :laugh:

Mr. Carney said they were going to open a clinic on campus by Dec. 2007. He made it seem like it would be availible to students and the community.

Mr. Carney said they were going to open a clinic on campus by Dec. 2007. He made it seem like it would be availible to students and the community.

So who would be working in this clinic? And would it be a place where we can volunteer to get the extra experience? Cause that would be great helping the people of the community, and I know that at Pikeville they put on community events all the time where the students get to help the people in need of the area.:)
I am a big volunteer person, and I love doing group activities, so I think we need to start deciding what kinds of groups and clubs we want to start at the school!!:D

So who would be working in this clinic? And would it be a place where we can volunteer to get the extra experience? Cause that would be great helping the people of the community, and I know that at Pikeville they put on community events all the time where the students get to help the people in need of the area.:)
I am a big volunteer person, and I love doing group activities, so I think we need to start deciding what kinds of groups and clubs we want to start at the school!!:D

I was under the impression the clinic would give us, the students, a chance to experience the clinic during our first 2 years. So, yes, I think we would volunteer/ work in the clinic. But I would also like it to be accessible for our health issues as well.

I was under the impression the clinic would give us, the students, a chance to experience the clinic during our first 2 years. So, yes, I think we would volunteer/ work in the clinic. But I would also like it to be accessible for our health issues as well.

Yeah it would be much easier to go to the clinic for that sinus infection than to try and find a local doc to see.

So, this will be synonymous to a teaching clinic for DCOM students? That is excellent. :thumbup:

Are we ever going to use this thread?

I was accepted into DCOM back in January and have just got onto this site!! After careful consideration I decided on DCOM over other schools and will have to say I am very excited about next year and attending DCOM. I anticipate it will be a great class for next year!:thumbup:

Welcome Destin!

I really hope we hear something about financial aid soon! We are heading down soon to go house shopping, and it would be nice to have a solid budget plan! :)

Would also be nice to start using this thread more. :hardy:

Status
Not open for further replies.