LMU-DCOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who did ya'll make the deposit check out to? On the letter it says to send it to Paul Carney's attention, but then on the roomate letter it says to send it to Jody Caldwell's attention. Also, there is no mention of what to make the check out to. Or maybe i'm just missing it. I'm leaving for Thailand on Saturday and I need to send it in before hand. I called the school but they are closed until January 2nd. Help!! Thanks!!!

That's a question I was wondering as well. I got the acceptance phone call from Dr. Stowers on December 22, but the letter has not arrived as of yet so I don't know who to make the check to or by when it is due. (30 days from receipt of letter or 30 days from the phone call??)

Wow, Thailand! Traveling is so much fun. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone planning on bringing their dogs to Tennessee? I'd love to, but I don't want my dog to be lonely if we will be in class from 8-4. Plus, will the hotel/apartments even allow us to have dogs?

I'm bringing my pup in August as well, so you'll have at least one doggy pal for your boys, although it looks like many of us have dogs. Aedan (see avatar) is a chocolate labrador - 5 weeks in the picture - and he'll be a year at the end of July. I had the same question about housing availability for those of us with dogs. I doubt the new apartments will allow pups, but you never know. Otherwise, perhaps several of us will have to find a house, preferrably one with a considerable yard. (I suppose there's always the Cumberland Gap National Park.) We'll have to wait on the apartments, I imagine. Anyone looking for a roommate?

IAP- I'm pretty sure that you have 30 days from when you received the letter. But call the school to be sure. They will be open again on January 2nd.

TaliesinDO- Koda (my chocolate lab) is about 4 years old now. He's so good and I don't want to leave him behind...but it's when he's alone that he finds trouble to get into. From chewing up furniture to leaving "surprises" for me. *sigh* Maybe I should see how i'll adjust to the first year of medical school before I bring him along.

Members don't see this ad :)
TaliesinDO- Koda (my chocolate lab) is about 4 years old now. He's so good and I don't want to leave him behind...but it's when he's alone that he finds trouble to get into. From chewing up furniture to leaving "surprises" for me. *sigh* Maybe I should see how i'll adjust to the first year of medical school before I bring him along.

I'm bringing Aedan, my charming chocolate, for the first year regardless, so I can promise you at least one playmate for Koda. Any thoughts on housing? Too early to plan that yet? I suppose it depends on whether you bring Koda. In any case, I'm excited for the inaugural class of LMU-DCOM come August.

Hello everyone, My name is Heath.I will also be attending LMU-DCOM in the fall and I am estatic about it. I was accepted in early October but just now found this site. Like many of you, I was also very impressed with the school and the ideations of the staff. In my opinion LMU-DCOM will be a top medical school very quickly.
I live in Memphis now and have driven over a couple of times for various reasons. One thing that I have realized it that there is not very many places to live as of yet. I anticipate this will improve as the time to start school draws near.
Never the less I am super excited and cannot wait to meet everyone. Now that I have discovered this site I would like to be an active partner in our class discussions.
It made me proud to see many fellow EMT's in the class. I am a paramedic and firefighter myself.​

After looking over the floor plans of the one-room unit I have to say I am a bit disappointed. It definitely does resemble a hotel a lot more than an apartment. Kitchenette??? What about us food lovers who cook? :(

Well hopefully the finished versions will be impressive. Does anyone remember them saying anything about units with multiple bedrooms? It looks as if that piece of information may not have been completely accurate.

On a positive note... HOORAY for the FREE TABLET PC's :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hello everyone, My name is Heath.I will also be attending LMU-DCOM in the fall and I am estatic about it. I was accepted in early October but just now found this site. Like many of you, I was also very impressed with the school and the ideations of the staff. In my opinion LMU-DCOM will be a top medical school very quickly.
I live in Memphis now and have driven over a couple of times for various reasons. One thing that I have realized it that there is not very many places to live as of yet. I anticipate this will improve as the time to start school draws near.
Never the less I am super excited and cannot wait to meet everyone. Now that I have discovered this site I would like to be an active partner in our class discussions.
It made me proud to see many fellow EMT's in the class. I am a paramedic and firefighter myself.​

Hello and look forward to meeting you in August!:)

Good to meet another class member; see you in August!

After looking over the floor plans of the one-room unit I have to say I am a bit disappointed. It definitely does resemble a hotel a lot more than an apartment. Kitchenette??? What about us food lovers who cook? :(

Well hopefully the finished versions will be impressive. Does anyone remember them saying anything about units with multiple bedrooms? It looks as if that piece of information may not have been completely accurate.

On a positive note... HOORAY for the FREE TABLET PC's :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Agreed. A kitchenette? There's no way that will work for me. I used to teach cooking classes for a while, and (needlesstosay) I have way too much fantastic cookware than could be accomodated by a kitchenette. What can I say? I love to cook, and I do a lot. So, be that as it is, I'm certainly in the market for a house, preferrably to rent with other DCOM students. Any takers? As for the free tablet PCs, cheers to that! Anyway, I'm certain this Fall will be as excellent as it is exciting.

Agreed. A kitchenette? There's no way that will work for me. I used to teach cooking classes for a while, and (needlesstosay) I have way too much fantastic cookware than could be accomodated by a kitchenette. What can I say? I love to cook, and I do a lot. So, be that as it is, I'm certainly in the market for a house, preferrably to rent with other DCOM students. Any takers? As for the free tablet PCs, cheers to that! Anyway, I'm certain this Fall will be as excellent as it is exciting.

Ya I was a bit disappointed too with the floorplans - especially for the single rooms - but I think I may still be leaning towards them just because they are so close to the school - but definitely interested in the roommate list, and maybe a house depending on cost/location/etc....

Ya I was a bit disappointed too with the floorplans - especially for the single rooms - but I think I may still be leaning towards them just because they are so close to the school - but definitely interested in the roommate list, and maybe a house depending on cost/location/etc....

My other limiting factor is the puppy; I don't think the new apts will allow dogs. Hopefully there will be a few other dog-loving individuals to share a house. I'll start looking into houses within a half-mile radius of campus. More likely than not, renting a whole house (with enough people) will be cheaper than the dorm/apts, but with fewer ammenities, perhaps. We'll see...

My other limiting factor is the puppy; I don't think the new apts will allow dogs. Hopefully there will be a few other dog-loving individuals to share a house. I'll start looking into houses within a half-mile radius of campus. More likely than not, renting a whole house (with enough people) will be cheaper than the dorm/apts, but with fewer ammenities, perhaps. We'll see...

Houses are definitely cheaper! I have been looking at houses to rent as well as apartments. Houses have ranged from $300-$600 with the average being around $400 and 2-3 bedrooms. Apartments have ranged from $275-$450. So, they are actually about the same price. The issue will be with pets, especially dogs. A lot of them do not allow pets.:( :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Houses are definitely cheaper! I have been looking at houses to rent as well as apartments. Houses have ranged from $300-$600 with the average being around $400 and 2-3 bedrooms. Apartments have ranged from $275-$450. So, they are actually about the same price. The issue will be with pets, especially dogs. A lot of them do not allow pets.:( :)

Thank you, that's good to know. Where are you searching for houses to rent? I've found plenty for sale, but not many to rent. Hopefully there are at least a small handfull that are amiable toward canine companions, perhaps more inclined if they're crated trained? (Perhaps not) I'll keep hunting.

Noticing the realative lack of housing for us, I have been thinking. Myself and a friend are considering building apartments in Harrogate. I am sorely dissapointed with the floor plan of the "school's apartments". Fist off, I was told that they would be one and two bedrooms. This is not the case. From what I can tell both designs are one bedroom. That doesn't work for everyone. The staff did mention that condos are being built, but will not be completed until the second year class arrives.

Is anyone else less that enthused about places to live?(or lack there of) It is important to me to be close to the campus. I plan on being very involved in the student government and activities of the school in general. Thus, proximity is important.

Who else feels me??

Also, congrats to all of you again. It's seem like all of us accepted are very excited about being at DCOM.

This should be loads of fun!!!

Thank you, that's good to know. Where are you searching for houses to rent? I've found plenty for sale, but not many to rent. Hopefully there are at least a small handfull that are amiable toward canine companions, perhaps more inclined if they're crated trained? (Perhaps not) I'll keep hunting.

I found a lot here. Many are in Kentucky, but some are very close.

http://www.londonky.com/cgi-local/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

http://www.middlesborodailynews.com/claiborne_progress/

You can post free on-line classifieds on the top link. I posted one for a house and one for a job for my husband. I just did it yesterday and no calls yet, so who knows if it will work. But, it's free, so worth a try. There also appears to be an apartment complex in Rose Hill, VA which is about 20 minutes or so from Harrogate. I don't know about anyone with dogs though. A lot of places say no pets.:oops: :luck:

I agree that the housing options are not great for anyone who is not buying a house. I was really not impressed with the hotel either. Fortunately, I wasn't planning on it anyway. It would be a great idea to build apartments around the school. They need it, so someone could make a lot of money on that. I will let you all know about any other houses/apartments or helpful sites I come across. :)

Noticing the realative lack of housing for us, I have been thinking. Myself and a friend are considering building apartments in Harrogate. I am sorely dissapointed with the floor plan of the "school's apartments". Fist off, I was told that they would be one and two bedrooms. This is not the case. From what I can tell both designs are one bedroom. That doesn't work for everyone. The staff did mention that condos are being built, but will not be completed until the second year class arrives.

Is anyone else less that enthused about places to live?(or lack there of) It is important to me to be close to the campus. I plan on being very involved in the student government and activities of the school in general. Thus, proximity is important.

Who else feels me??

Also, congrats to all of you again. It's seem like all of us accepted are very excited about being at DCOM.

This should be loads of fun!!!

I love your idea about building apartments - I was looking forward to the hotel apts because they were easy and so close but am now disappointed and would definitely be interested in other options (and maybe even cheaper) as well as possibly getting in on renting a house with a few other students as long as it is close to campus...

I think Im still gonna stick with the school apartments. Im really bad with money, lol... and its just so much easier to have all my bills taken care of and not have to worry. Plus internet is included, Id hate to see what kind of dial up service they have out in town.... lol...

I think Im still gonna stick with the school apartments. Im really bad with money, lol... and its just so much easier to have all my bills taken care of and not have to worry. Plus internet is included, Id hate to see what kind of dial up service they have out in town.... lol...

same here i dont intend to waste my time searching for a place...one bedroom apt in the hotel modified apartments should do it for me. I know everyone's mad about the floorplan..seriously unless you are planning to have a family or settle down in harrogate, it shouldnt be a big deal! I will compromise with any situation down there, after all iam from NY.hehe

I never received the info. about the floorplans? Are they all going to be 1 bedroom. What's the difference b/w kitchen and a kitchenette other than the size?

I Got Accepted! Whoo-hoo!

Congratulations nsolana!

I never received the info. about the floorplans? Are they all going to be 1 bedroom. What's the difference b/w kitchen and a kitchenette other than the size?

I had to resize and compress these, so I am not sure how this will work. I can forward the email to you if it doesn't. I agree that they are actually a decent option unless you have a family.:)

Attachments

• image001cc.jpg
    image001cc.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 185
  • image002cc.jpg
    image002cc.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 188
I wanted to say hello to everyone. I received my phone call today, so it looks as if I will be joining you in August. I can’t tell you all how excited I am. I’ll send a short bio later, but I couldn’t wait to say hi.
Lawson

Congratulations Lawson! :)

Did you interview there on December 15th with me? Your name sounds really familiar.

I wanted to say hello to everyone. I received my phone call today, so it looks as if I will be joining you in August. I can’t tell you all how excited I am. I’ll send a short bio later, but I couldn’t wait to say hi.
Lawson

Congratulations!!!:D

I did interview on the 15th...good memory.

I Got Accepted! Whoo-hoo!

Lawson

:thumbup: CONGRATS to you both!

Did you all get the latest update letter? Anyone interested in the biomedical research fellowship? I am!:D

Did you all get the latest update letter? Anyone interested in the biomedical research fellowship? I am!:D

I'm definitely interested in the biomedical research fellowship. Hopefully there will be more than only a few. Perhaps +10? Where would we go for the summer? East TN Children's? UTMC-Knoxville? Where-we-are-accepted? Possibly St. Jude's in Memphis (that would be amazing)? I suppose the details are yet to be determined.

I'm definitely interested in the biomedical research fellowship. Hopefully there will be more than only a few. Perhaps +10? Where would we go for the summer? East TN Children's? UTMC-Knoxville? Where-we-are-accepted? Possibly St. Jude's in Memphis (that would be amazing)? I suppose the details are yet to be determined.

I don't know. I went on their site to look for more info, but I didn't see any. I guess we will have to wait.:sleep:

I'm going to be looking to buy a house, once I sell my home close to the Memphis area. Once I buy the house, would love to have roommates - number will depend on number of bedrooms the house has. Anyways I have 2 dogs, so dogs will be welcome outside in the yard. My pups are looking forward to going with me to medical school. Other choice was Ca., and I wouldn't have been able to take them with me. We could have a co-ed house like Grey's anatomy. How fun would that be? oops...may not be able to afford a house that big. My dogs' picture are posted on myspace. www.myspace.com/sailingdeltagamma.

I'm going to be looking to buy a house, once I sell my home close to the Memphis area. Once I buy the house, would love to have roommates - number will depend on number of bedrooms the house has. Anyways I have 2 dogs, so dogs will be welcome outside in the yard. My pups are looking forward to going with me to medical school. Other choice was Ca., and I wouldn't have been able to take them with me. We could have a co-ed house like Grey's anatomy. How fun would that be? oops...may not be able to afford a house that big. My dogs' picture are posted on myspace. www.myspace.com/sailingdeltagamma.

Hey! Fantastic! Another person bringing dogs who's looking for a house. You're looking to buy you said? We'll I'm happy to rent! Let me know which houses you find, details, etc. I'll keep looking as well and send good finds your way. PM me with the range you want (distance from school, price, amenities, etc.) Exciting housing options - I think a co-ed house would be really fun.

Hey! Fantastic! Another person bringing dogs who's looking for a house. You're looking to buy you said? We'll I'm happy to rent! Let me know which houses you find, details, etc. I'll keep looking as well and send good finds your way. PM me with the range you want (distance from school, price, amenities, etc.) Exciting housing options - I think a co-ed house would be really fun.

Yes, definately looking to buy. I could never go back to an apartment. My dogs also need a yard. Being able to buy a home with a yard vs. just a condo in California, really convinced me that Tn. is where I belong! Thank the Lord for low cost of living in the South. Raised in Texas...so can't get the South out of me. I won't know price range until my current house sells. Realtor said he would most likely list it in March.

let me know what you find, I'd definitely be interested in renting, especially if its cheaper than the school apts. co-ed grey's house? sounds fantastic.

I'm excited for the co-ed house idea. Definitely a better option than university housing, as for those of us with dogs it's the only option.

I dont think Im neurotic enough for the coed house greys anatomy style lol.... I would like it but I know im crap with money so I guess its the school apartments for me.. guaranteed housing and food is the only way I can survive lol.....:D

I just wanted to say you all will have an OUTSTANDING anatomy professor in Dr. Cross. We at UNE will miss him horribly. He's been around for a while and he's very excited about getting DCOM off the ground.

Don't let him scare you - he's just a big ol' teddy bear who cares deeply about his students. Tell him the class of 2010 at UNE says HI!!!!!!!

I just wanted to say you all will have an OUTSTANDING anatomy professor in Dr. Cross. We at UNE will miss him horribly. He's been around for a while and he's very excited about getting DCOM off the ground.

Don't let him scare you - he's just a big ol' teddy bear who cares deeply about his students. Tell him the class of 2010 at UNE says HI!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info! I have heard that he is great. They got a lot of great professors, so I really believe we will have a great school. :)

I'm excited for the co-ed house idea. Definitely a better option than university housing, as for those of us with dogs it's the only option.

I have a realtor and she mentioned a house in Harrogate that is absolutely wonderful. I haven't seen it yet but hope to by the end of the month. She also sent me a bulletin with a ton of houses for sale. Most are 3 bedroom and very few 4. The ones with 4 bedrooms have only 2 bathrooms. May get crowded. Most homes in Harrogate do not have garages. Wow I've been spoiled. This will be roughin' it for me.

So there will be a house for us single folks that have dogs (no cats....dislike cats). Just not sure how many bedrooms/baths, etc. I'll also set it up with cable, internet access, washer/dryer.....

Oh, I decided not to take my dogs to medical school. It's better for them since I won't have time for them. I hardly have time for them now and they look at me with those pitiful sweet lonely eyes saying, "please come out and play". There are folks here that love them and willing to adopt them. I'm a little sad. It will be nice to have a dog around in med. school that I'm not responsible for. Yeah for future roommates with dogs!

I have a realtor and she mentioned a house in Harrogate that is absolutely wonderful. I haven't seen it yet but hope to by the end of the month. She also sent me a bulletin with a ton of houses for sale. Most are 3 bedroom and very few 4. The ones with 4 bedrooms have only 2 bathrooms. May get crowded. Most homes in Harrogate do not have garages. Wow I've been spoiled. This will be roughin' it for me.

So there will be a house for us single folks that have dogs (no cats....dislike cats). Just not sure how many bedrooms/baths, etc. I'll also set it up with cable, internet access, washer/dryer.....

Oh, I decided not to take my dogs to medical school. It's better for them since I won't have time for them. I hardly have time for them now and they look at me with those pitiful sweet lonely eyes saying, "please come out and play". There are folks here that love them and willing to adopt them. I'm a little sad. It will be nice to have a dog around in med. school that I'm not responsible for. Yeah for future roommates with dogs!

It's sad you're not taking your pups, but I do understand. I am excited that you'd be willing to have roommates with dogs though, which works well for me. My pup's crate trained as well, so he's perfectly happy spending much of the day alone (I always feel bad about it, but so long as I leave the radio on he's happy - human voices to hear). He's a great dog: 6 mon. old chocolate Lab, as I'm sure you've seen from the avatar or Facebook photos.

As for things to bring, I'm sure you have plenty of furniture to bring from your current house, but I thought I'd note things I can bring as well. Starting with the kitchen, I have every piece of kitchen cookware, bakeware, appliance, etc you can think of and more. Needlesstosay the kitchen will be well supplied. I have one nice sofa and one chiar that could potentially compliment a large living room. I also have a coffee table and a small kitchen table with four cushioned chairs. If bringing any of these furniture options sounds good to you, I can email you digital pics of everything so you can have an idea of how it will look. (It's your house, so I can bring everything or nothing, based on what you have and want to have in the house.)

Keep me posted on the details as they develop and I'll help in anyway I can.

that sounds wonderful and right in Harrogate! keep me posted!

My wife and I are probably looking to buy a house in the Halls Crossroads area of North Knoxville, and might be looking into the possibility of taking on a roommate, or looking for a property that would serve as our residence as well as have a rental (condo).

Just FYI.

Hey don't panic yet, but I know I did anyway even though people told me not to. I got my letter 13 days after I interviewed, so there is still time you could get it today or tomorrow. ;)

I got my letter and call on the same day, which I thought was weird, but hey I got in so I did not care. Don't worry :D be happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.