LMU-DCOM Class of 2011 continued

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't get share point to work. Can someone post the web address so I can make sure I have the correct one? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just FYI for everyone...I found boxes of S, M, and L Nitrile gloves at Sam's this weekend for like 7 dollars a box (150 in a box). Seems like a pretty good deal.

As I understood it, we had to provide these.

If anyone not near Knoxville would like me to pick some up for you, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to accomodate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you are on a remote network and don't have access permission,

I think that might be it. When I got to school this morning it worked fine. Thanks for the help.

Has anyone else had trouble with Sprint in the area? I have been in Digital Roam for the last 24 hours and am not able to make or receive calls. Just wondering if it is my phone, or a downed tower.

Can't help you with Sprint. Have you tried turning it off and back on, etc? (I'm sure you have).

Also, the sp.lmunet.edu address now takes me to the school radio station! :)

Yea, well I can't get DCOM's or LMU's site to load so I can't get my email...+pissed+:beat:

I have about had it with all this technology. Someone give me a notebook and a pen.:smuggrin::p

(Still love you DCOM, don't worry. :biglove:)

Hey, did anyone else notice we have a new emoticon thingy:

:corny:

Isn't that cute!!!! :biglove: :banana:

Sorry, getting loopy, woke up at 3:30 and couldn't get back to sleep....off to bed now.:sleep:

Has anyone else had trouble with Sprint in the area? I have been in Digital Roam for the last 24 hours and am not able to make or receive calls. Just wondering if it is my phone, or a downed tower.

I have Sprint and as long as you have a national plan, your roaming is free. I don't mind the phone being in roam at all. I like getting the better signal and not have to pay for it. The only time things get hairy is when the phone switches from sprint's tower to a roaming tower - then you may drop calls. But I have noticed that today was really weird with the phone. I tried calling my wife a few times this morning at school and the phone would not work at all, even when I had a full signal (with both sprint's network and roaming). I have been very happy with Sprint's service so far, and it is the only phone I have seen work in Middlesboro (full signal mind you).

Also, we should have an email coming from LMU telling us how to access the recorded lectures online. I don't know about you all, but i definitely need to see the lectures from the anatomy lab again :eek: Those are kind of intense, to say the least ;) :oops:

I have Sprint and as long as you have a national plan, your roaming is free. I don't mind the phone being in roam at all. I like getting the better signal and not have to pay for it. The only time things get hairy is when the phone switches from sprint's tower to a roaming tower - then you may drop calls. But I have noticed that today was really weird with the phone. I tried calling my wife a few times this morning at school and the phone would not work at all, even when I had a full signal (with both sprint's network and roaming). I have been very happy with Sprint's service so far, and it is the only phone I have seen work in Middlesboro (full signal mind you).

Also, we should have an email coming from LMU telling us how to access the recorded lectures online. I don't know about you all, but i definitely need to see the lectures from the anatomy lab again :eek: Those are kind of intense, to say the least ;) :oops:

gotta love Dr. Cross' pace!! Whew!

no kidding...we'll get used to it. or fail.

cheerful options, i know. i dont mind this professionalism stuff though, its interesting and has some application. it could be a lot worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
WAKE UP EVERYBODY!!!! :D :lol:

There is a heat advisory today. I don't think we ever had a heat advisory in New York. :smuggrin: It is too hot down here! Actually, it really wasn't bad until the end of July. Now it is too hot to ride. My poor horses are covered in sweat just from standing. :eek: Yuck! :p

august will happen, roughly once a year. the heat does suck, but the humidity is worse in my book.

AWWWW! Can't we just skip August?:rolleyes:

OMG! I just have to say that I love Dr. Thompson!!! :love: (And all of the other faculty and staff too. :) ) But, I just LOVED his lecture today about osteopathic medicine!!! :biglove: I am so happy that I am at DCOM and going into osteopathic medicine. It really fits so well with my personal beliefs and I really can't believe that I ever considered allopathic medicine. I would have been so out of place! I hope y'all are as excited about all of this as I am! :banana: :banana::biglove::D

OMG! I just have to say that I love Dr. Thompson!!! :love: (And all of the other faculty and staff too. :) ) But, I just LOVED his lecture today about osteopathic medicine!!! :biglove: I am so happy that I am at DCOM and going into osteopathic medicine. It really fits so well with my personal beliefs and I really can't believe that I ever considered allopathic medicine. I would have been so out of place! I hope y'all are as excited about all of this as I am! :banana: :banana::biglove::D

Definitely!! It was a great lecture!

Is anyone else have problems with blackboard? I can get in, but when I click on the course pages nothing comes up.... It may just be me.. not the most technologically savvy...

A quick question.....

Does anyone know the part number for the Welch Allyn PanOptic diagnostic kit? The guy at the bookstore wasn't very helpful and I'm too lazy to go back over there. Thanks for your help

A quick question.....

Does anyone know the part number for the Welch Allyn PanOptic diagnostic kit? The guy at the bookstore wasn't very helpful and I'm too lazy to go back over there. Thanks for your help

The Part number is REF 97800-MS
The LOT number is 8001242787

A lot of people have started having trouble with Blackboard, myself included. It is weird though because in lab yesterday, I could get into it, but the girl sitting next to me couldn't. I have periodically been having trouble as well. I can get into the main page, but when I click on the classes, it says that the page can't be dispalyed. Weird.:rolleyes::p

Helllo all,

Due to the hectic pace and the fact that cable (hence internet) takes weeks to get hooked up here, I haven't been on here much. I just wanted to let you all know that Scrub World in the Middlesboro mall (by Penny's) has ordered nitrile gloves for anatomy lab. They have smalls and are ordering med, large and xlarge to be in toward the end of next week. A box of 100 will be $8.99 before your 15% student discount (you must have your ID for this discount).

BRACHIAL PLEXUS!!!!!! :eek: :confused: :scared: :sleep: :mad: +pissed+ :hungover: :beat: :idea::love:

Sorry, the thread was fading away so I hate to bump it up and I am going nuts after looking at and drawing out the brachial plexus all day. See y'all in the morning.

BRACHIAL PLEXUS!!!!!!

Sorry, the thread was fading away so I hate to bump it up and I am going nuts after looking at and drawing out the brachial plexus all day. See y'all in the morning.

I completely understand!! I have been drawing it and redrawing it all day while cleaning. Oh the life of a med. student! :eek::eek:

Also, have we heard anything else about SGA or SOMA?

BRACHIAL PLEXUS!!!!!! :eek: :confused: :scared: :sleep: :mad: +pissed+ :hungover: :beat: :idea::love:

Do we need to know all innervations of the branches by tomorrow? I have all but the radial nerve down, but there are quite a few for it. Just curious if I have to master it tonight or spread it out over the week. Thanks!

I have no idea. I can pretty much draw it, label it, find it on the cadever and name parts, etc. I know some of the innervations, but not all yet. I am working on it though, along with everything else I am trying to learn. If Dr. Cross asks me to draw anything tomorrow, I think I will run out of the room crying. :smuggrin::oops: There is just so much to remember. I look over stuff every chance I get and each time I pick up a little bit more information. So, hopefully I will end up learning it all in time for the test. :scared:

It is so sad. I fall asleep every night going over anatomy in my head. Yes, the life of a med student.:lol:

know the plexus, the sides, the fact that randy travis drinks cold beer, know the names, the numbers. If you can re-draw netters pg. then you are fine. be sure to know the corresponding roots (such as radial - C5-T1, T1 is inconsistent contributor...ok thats a side detail, but you get the idea). i would probably have an idea about erbs and klumpke's too

Its not impossible, its just a pain in the butt. good luck y'all.

know the plexus, the sides, the fact that randy travis drinks cold beer, know the names, the numbers. If you can re-draw netters pg. then you are fine. be sure to know the corresponding roots (such as radial - C5-T1, T1 is inconsistent contributor...ok thats a side detail, but you get the idea). i would probably have an idea about erbs and klumpke's too

Its not impossible, its just a pain in the butt. good luck y'all.

Ok. I think I have that much down. Also, I believe C4 is another inconsistent contributor. I just didn't know if I needed to know all the muscles each branch innervated. There are several! Get excited everyone, another week is about to begin! :eek::eek:

DoctorMom, Dr. Cross isn't so hard as to let you run out of the room crying. Do your best. He's just a big ol' teddy bear.

We had someone make a mistake on the brachial plexus when they drew it. Dr. Cross just asked if anyone wanted to change anything... so someone got up and changed it. He laughed. A teddy bear, I'm telling you.

DoctorMom, Dr. Cross isn't so hard as to let you run out of the room crying. Do your best. He's just a big ol' teddy bear.

We had someone make a mistake on the brachial plexus when they drew it. Dr. Cross just asked if anyone wanted to change anything... so someone got up and changed it. He laughed. A teddy bear, I'm telling you.

LOL! Thanks! I really like Dr. Cross. He definitely seems like a teddy bear. :love::D I just don't want to humiliate myself in front of the class.:laugh:

The thing that helped me the most learning the brachial plexus was this:

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/15/brachial_plex_how_to.pdf

I printed it out and practiced for about 10 minutes and had it down. I think the axial and radial might be reversed from reality, so just switch 'em around.

Thank you! :) Someone had actually sent that to me and that file is the only reason I can draw the brachial plexus. :laugh: It was really useful.

I am still working on the innervation of the muscles though. :D

I guess you all have probably heard that Bush had Lyme disease.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/08/politics/main3148021.shtml?source=RSSattr=Politics_3148021

Also on that page, there is a link to a story where a 7 year old girl died from ehrlichiosis. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,281219,00.html

I am not a fanatic, really...:rolleyes:...but, this is so huge. You all really have no idea how bad it is and how bad it is going to get. I just hope that we all carry this information with us as we become physicians because tick-borne illnessess are only going to become increasingly more common and complex. :(

I am looking for a new primary care physician in the area. Does anyone have a physician they use that they like? Dislike? Also, I prefer a female physician, but it is not absolutely necessary.

Thanks!

I am looking for a new primary care physician in the area. Does anyone have a physician they use that they like? Dislike? Also, I prefer a female physician, but it is not absolutely necessary.

Thanks!

Try looking at Cherokee Health in New Tazwell across from DeRoyal. They have FMs, not just mental health.

I am seeing a NP in KY. I guess they don't have to be under a doctor there. I called and didn't know who I was seeing and that is who he turned out to be. A lot of places weren't taking new patients. I really like him though because when I listed my meds I put Medrol dose pack, PRN (which I do take) and he gave me a Rx with 5 refills on that. I usally have to beg my doctor. So, I am loving him now. :love: LOL! In all seriousness, he was really nice. He is at Trinity Family Health in the ARH professional building.

So, I failed my Allen's test and had a positive red reflex, so if anyone wants to come poke me or prod me or something, I think I would make a good guinea pig. :p:smuggrin::laugh:

i found on that reflex, you gotta get in there pretty good on some people. maybe you just lack the arch/blood vessels/blood. ok so you probably dont lack the blood. i need to hit up dr. thompson for some omt work, i have several dysfunctions (probably all stemming from my hip). cant beat med school, you get to find out what all is wrong with you (and sometimes) how to fix it

I played baseball for LMU for 1 year before transferring...so I check their website from time to time. I was also watching you guys light up this message board. It's crazy to think LMU has a med school now. But since school started, seems you guys slowed down a bit eh? :) Good to see they're doing it right out there.

I played baseball for LMU for 1 year before transferring...so I check their website from time to time. I was also watching you guys light up this message board. It's crazy to think LMU has a med school now. But since school started, seems you guys slowed down a bit eh? :) Good to see they're doing it right out there.

Yep, it has definately slowed down. Our first test is 2 wks from today so we are really hitting things hard. Have you been back and seen the DCOM building? The technology will blow your socks off! Did you know they also brought their nursing program back on campus and are starting a PA program in 2008? I love how all the faculty and staff are so invested in us and the school. I have been blown away how deeply sincere they are about making us fantastic physicians. Can I just say that I love this school and all of those who are here:love:

wow it's been a while i posted on this site..anyways wanna point out that DCOM RULES!!! hehe have a great weekend guys.

Hey you all, I visited LMU -DCOM today to check out the new building and just wanted to say that I was very impressed. That whole place is so high tech! I will be applying in the next cycle ('09), and I hope that I get to come visit there again sometime!

Good luck to everyone there - it looks like an awesome place to go to school.

As a hopeful for the class of 2012, it is exciting to follow along your thread and hope for the best.

I am not a fanatic, really...:rolleyes:...but, this is so huge. You all really have no idea how bad it is and how bad it is going to get. I just hope that we all carry this information with us as we become physicians because tick-borne illnessess are only going to become increasingly more common and complex.

Hey, Doctor Mom! I was following the thread before y'all got to med school!

I want to be a DO, and I'm interested in DCOM. As it so happens, I'm disabled due to Lyme and two co-infections. I have severe, pervasive pain, for one. I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to manage med school, not to mention the requirements beforehand!

:confused: :scared: :wow:

I am not a fanatic, really...:rolleyes:...but, this is so huge. You all really have no idea how bad it is and how bad it is going to get. I just hope that we all carry this information with us as we become physicians because tick-borne illnessess are only going to become increasingly more common and complex.

Hey, Doctor Mom! I was following the thread before y'all got to med school!

I want to be a DO, and I'm interested in DCOM. As it so happens, I'm disabled due to Lyme and two co-infections. I have severe, pervasive pain, for one. I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to manage med school, not to mention the requirements beforehand!

:confused: :scared: :wow:

I am so sorry to hear that. Just hang in there. It isn't easy, but you can do it. PM me or email me at [email protected] and we can talk more about Lyme. :):luck:

To all the DCOM hopefuls, lots of luck. DCOM is a great school!:luck:

Doctor Mom: I emailed you. :D

Wow. I've been looking at your Lyme awareness site. I'm impressed!

If I can become a DO, maybe I'll work with you someday. :hardy:

Antibiotic treatment failed; I don't know if I'll ever get well. I've been sick for 22 years.

I go to Dr. H's office in Upstate NY. Maybe you know of him. I know LLMD's often prefer that their names not be used in public forums, so I just used the initial.

Hey you all, I visited LMU -DCOM today to check out the new building and just wanted to say that I was very impressed. That whole place is so high tech! I will be applying in the next cycle ('09), and I hope that I get to come visit there again sometime!

Good luck to everyone there - it looks like an awesome place to go to school.

you won't go wrong with DCOM, it will only get better in the future! Good luck!

Doctor Mom: I emailed you. :D

Wow. I've been looking at your Lyme awareness site. I'm impressed!

If I can become a DO, maybe I'll work with you someday. :hardy:

Antibiotic treatment failed; I don't know if I'll ever get well. I've been sick for 22 years.

I go to Dr. H's office in Upstate NY. Maybe you know of him. I know LLMD's often prefer that their names not be used in public forums, so I just used the initial.

Thank you! I would love to work with a fellow "Lymie" in the future. LOL!

Just hang in there. Take one day at a time and hopefully something will work. *hug* :):luck:

Thank you! I would love to work with a fellow "Lymie" in the future. LOL!

Just hang in there. Take one day at a time and hopefully something will work. *hug* :):luck:

You're such a sweetie, Doctor Mom! :biglove:

If I can possibly make it work, I will. I heard from someone in admission; I asked if there are accommodations for someone like me. He couldn't offer much information since he said this is the first medical-school admissions office for him. He just said that there's about a 5% attrition rate among medical schools, I think.

Does anyone know who I might contact about accommodations for disabled students? I won't go back for prereqs and the harrowing application ordeal if there's no chance I can make it work. I may need a five-year plan, a wheelchair for rounds 3rd and 4th year (with the ability for me to get up and do what I have to do for patients; the wheelchair would just cut down on some of the walking strain for me).

I appreciate any contact information you can provide. :banana: