MA/MS LMFT vs LMHC vs LPC. Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mattttt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm hoping someone on here can help. I will be graduating in May with a masters degree in mental health counseling in Massachusetts. My plan is to move to California. However in my research I've come across many obstacles. The title of LMHC does not exist in the state of California. What does exist though is LMFT and LPC. I'm hoping that someone reading this might have some information that could help because all I can find online is a bunch of bureaucratic hoops or so it seems. Because I'm graduating with my masters in Massachusetts does that basically mean I'm stuck here? Again any help would be so appreciated! Thanks so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

LMHC/LPC/LCPC, all the same idea, just varies by state. Last I heard, the ACA was trying to move towards a uniform title across states, which seems like a wise move. Educational requirements can be found here http://www.bbs.ca.gov/lpcc_program/lpcc_is_traditional_path.shtml
It does look they have some additional course requirements that I know I didn't get in my MHC program. But yes, getting licensed will probably require jumping through bureaucratic hoops. Such is life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get all the certifications!!!!! Lol;p
The LPC was added in California to help align the master's level counseling license with what exists in other states; it is probably the one to aim for.