Living in Cleveland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm starting residency at MetroHealth this July and was wondering if anybody had information of where MH residents live/are happiest at. I'm currently visiting Cleveland and have looked at residences-mostly in Parma, Lakewood, Tremont, and one or two spots in Downtown Cleveland. I've been told that single residents(I'm a single male) tend to favor Downtown and those with families prefer burbs such as Parma, Westlake, etc.

While I prefer being close to more vibrant areas, such as Tremont or Downtown, it seems like its hit or miss in terms of finding relatively safe/well maintained areas with available parking. Also, while I like Lakewood, parking is generally an issue and the buildings seem to be quite old(I found exactly one that was thoroughly renovated). It also seems like places that are known to be a bit safer are waayyy overpriced(but maybe that's the only option-I'm just not entirely sure). It's difficult to figure out the whole situation with my limited time in the city, which is why I was looking for any specifics in terms of good areas/buildings easily accessible to MetroHealth that people have had first or secondhand experiences with.

Any and all information is appreciated, though.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm starting residency at MetroHealth this July and was wondering if anybody had information of where MH residents live/are happiest at. I'm currently visiting Cleveland and have looked at residences-mostly in Parma, Lakewood, Tremont, and one or two spots in Downtown Cleveland. I've been told that single residents(I'm a single male) tend to favor Downtown and those with families prefer burbs such as Parma, Westlake, etc.

While I prefer being close to more vibrant areas, such as Tremont or Downtown, it seems like its hit or miss in terms of finding relatively safe/well maintained areas with available parking. Also, while I like Lakewood, parking is generally an issue and the buildings seem to be quite old(I found exactly one that was thoroughly renovated). It also seems like places that are known to be a bit safer are waayyy overpriced(but maybe that's the only option-I'm just not entirely sure). It's difficult to figure out the whole situation with my limited time in the city, which is why I was looking for any specifics in terms of good areas/buildings easily accessible to MetroHealth that people have had first or secondhand experiences with.

Thanks!

Hey Merv,

So I'm a Case student also starting at Metro for residency, so figured I could help out a bit. From what I've gathered, a lot of the Metro residents seem to live in Lakewood, with people also living in Westlake, Tremont, and downtown. People with families or with significant others at UH/the Clinic might live in the East side.

Personally, I am moving to Tremont because it's a 6 minute drive to Metro and a GREAT neighborhood, especially as a single person up for meeting new people. Slightly more bohemian, but definitely trendy, with great restaurants, bars, shops, etc. I also really like Lakewood, would have seriously considered moving there if it wasn't so far from my friends staying on the East side. Downtown is fine, but downtown Cleveland is not as vibrant as downtowns in other metropolitan areas, and feel that the other two places I mentioned definitely have more of a trendy vibe to them.

Tremont Place Lofts is a good one in Tremont, on the pricier side, but WONDERFUL apartments. I know of a couple of residents that live in the Carlyle in Lakewood, or one of the other apartment buildings along the shoreway. It is true that buildings tend to be older, and those that are more modern tend to be pricier, but there's definitely great deals to be had!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]oZzgAjjuqZM[/YOUTUBE]

From the creator:

"So The Cleveland Board of Tourism was not happy with the first video that I turned in. In fact, they said that upon viewing it, three of the board members moved away.

They insisted that I turn in a proper Cleveland tourism video, otherwise they will pursue litigation.

So I was really planning on buckling down and giving it my all this time, but there was a "Rock of Love" marathon on VH1 last night that I didn't want to miss, so I cranked this video out in even less time than the first one. Roughly 35 minutes total.

Despite this, I'm rather pleased with how it turned out, and I think they will be too.

http://mikepolkjr.com"

Mom!?

Hey Merv,

So I'm a Case student also starting at Metro for residency, so figured I could help out a bit. From what I've gathered, a lot of the Metro residents seem to live in Lakewood, with people also living in Westlake, Tremont, and downtown. People with families or with significant others at UH/the Clinic might live in the East side.

Personally, I am moving to Tremont because it's a 6 minute drive to Metro and a GREAT neighborhood, especially as a single person up for meeting new people. Slightly more bohemian, but definitely trendy, with great restaurants, bars, shops, etc. I also really like Lakewood, would have seriously considered moving there if it wasn't so far from my friends staying on the East side. Downtown is fine, but downtown Cleveland is not as vibrant as downtowns in other metropolitan areas, and feel that the other two places I mentioned definitely have more of a trendy vibe to them.

Tremont Place Lofts is a good one in Tremont, on the pricier side, but WONDERFUL apartments. I know of a couple of residents that live in the Carlyle in Lakewood, or one of the other apartment buildings along the shoreway. It is true that buildings tend to be older, and those that are more modern tend to be pricier, but there's definitely great deals to be had!

There are also a couple apartments on W25th for really reasonable prices.
Ohio City especially W25th is blooming. Quite a few good restaurants and bars. People are friendly too. I've lived there for 2 years and now I don't even pay for drinks most of the time =P

Send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Hey Merv,

Hey lth-
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've heard similar things, and have pretty much focused my attention to a few specific areas. I was in Cleveland for the first time this weekend, so I'll definitely be making a return trip to focus on those areas and ultimately make a decision.

[YOUTUBE]oZzgAjjuqZM[/YOUTUBE]

From the creator:

"So The Cleveland Board of Tourism was not happy with the first video that I turned in. In fact, they said that upon viewing it, three of the board members moved away.

They insisted that I turn in a proper Cleveland tourism video, otherwise they will pursue litigation.

So I was really planning on buckling down and giving it my all this time, but there was a "Rock of Love" marathon on VH1 last night that I didn't want to miss, so I cranked this video out in even less time than the first one. Roughly 35 minutes total.

Despite this, I'm rather pleased with how it turned out, and I think they will be too.

http://mikepolkjr.com"

:laugh: Even better than the first one, haha.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Tremont, Ohio City, and downtown are fun areas and I know lots of people that live in them. I am on the east side since I've been at CCF and UH/Case.

Safety can be hit or miss anywhere in Cleveland, even in Shaker Heights.

The west side gets less snow than the east side, so indoor parking in winter may be less of an issue.