Making the most of living at home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentofsdn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I matched at an advanced program and will be doing my intern year at a program close to my parents' home. My main incentive for ranking this advanced program over slightly more prestigious categoricals (anesthesia) was for this reason.
My questions are
1) was this smart? (lol need some validation)
2) how can I make the most of one year of living with my parents before I move out for the advanced program?
3) Should I prioritize saving or paying off interest/maybe even some capital on my loans?

For some information on my situation I will be doing REPAYE for my student loans. I'm single and have no dependents. I will have 0 expenses other than gas and occasional entertainment. I ideally see myself doing fellowhsip, an academic attending position, and pursuing PSLF. Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Little late to ask if this was smart...you’re kinda stuck now.

Exactly what are asking? If it’s tspend quality time with your parents, well I guess any down time you have can be spent with them...if it’s to make a dent in your student loans then I guess anything you would have put towards rent and utilities and food could go towards paying your loans...so maybe 20-25k off?

Little late to ask if this was smart...you’re kinda stuck now.

Exactly what are asking? If it’s tspend quality time with your parents, well I guess any down time you have can be spent with them...if it’s to make a dent in your student loans then I guess anything you would have put towards rent and utilities and food could go towards paying your loans...so maybe 20-25k off?

i know its late to be asking, it was a question for a little praise in case it was a good decision or critique if it was a bad one. sorry if it inconvenienced you to read that, you could have ignored it.

Overall I'm asking if its smarter to make small loan payments and save more money or make larger loan payments and save less money.

Last edited:
So I matched at an advanced program and will be doing my intern year at a program close to my parents' home. My main incentive for ranking this advanced program over slightly more prestigious categoricals (anesthesia) was for this reason.
My questions are
2) how can I make the most of one year of living with my parents before I move out for the advanced program?
3) Should I prioritize saving or paying off interest/maybe even some capital on my loans?

For some information on my situation I will be doing REPAYE for my student loans. I'm single and have no dependents. I will have 0 expenses other than gas and occasional entertainment. I ideally see myself doing fellowhsip, an academic attending position, and pursuing PSLF. Thank you for any advice!

I personally think it was smart as long as you have a good relationship with your parents. I lived at home during most of med school until I got married and saved a ton. The emotional support was also great. Residency obviously is stressful so if you get along with the parents and you can forego the stresses of having to pay rent, cleaning, doing much cooking, good for you. But yes like rokshana said it's kind of late to ask now.

Not sure how to answer the second question. Focus on doing well in internship and saving money. Be grateful to your parents.

I would prioritize putting money toward loans. You'll have plenty of time to save later. Thats what I would do. I luckily have no loans since they were paid off very quickly and it's amazingly freeing to be able to do as you wish with your paycheck.

I personally think it was smart as long as you have a good relationship with your parents. I lived at home during most of med school until I got married and saved a ton. The emotional support was also great. Residency obviously is stressful so if you get along with the parents and you can forego the stresses of having to pay rent, cleaning, doing much cooking, good for you. But yes like rokshana said it's kind of late to ask now.

Not sure how to answer the second question. Focus on doing well in internship and saving money. Be grateful to your parents.

I would prioritize putting money toward loans. You'll have plenty of time to save later. Thats what I would do. I luckily have no loans since they were paid off very quickly and it's amazingly freeing to be able to do as you wish with your paycheck.

Cool thank you for the advice

I'd advise...

1. Saving up an emergency fund, and whatever funds you need to move to your new residency program. The amount for the e-fund is variable...I aimed for ~5K during residency because that made me feel secure that I wouldn't go into debt if something happened that I needed to take care of. Some would recommend more, some less.

2. Contributing to a Roth IRA for both 2019 and 2020. You can contribute up to $6000 per year, and this will be the least amount you pay in taxes for the rest of your career, so you should absolutely take advantage of it.

3. Use whatever else you have leftover after expenses to pay off loans.

But I hate debt and am not convinced that any repayment plan is actually going to be in my benefit. Others feel differently.

Reactions: 1 users
It's great to spend more time with your parents before they die and they're gone forever, leaving you to do whatever without them for the rest of your life. Other benefits to living with them noted. Personally I think that matters more than prestige but it also depends on your ultimate career goals.

As far as loans, I've gone into detail elsewhere, but I would just do income based and PLSF and call it a day. Unless you can really make headway on those loans at any point before being an attending, I see no point.

Too many people have something go wrong with life where in hindsight they shouldn't have worried about it, should have lived a regular life. As long as my payments are reasonable compared to my income, who cares if you pay on it for 20 years? Who care if it's a million dollars? I only care about having money in my retirement, a house, something to leave to the kids. It's a second mortgage, but if you can afford the two and live decent, save, and save for retirement, which doctors can.

It's a fallacy for many to try to live a debt-free life these days, at least I would think so until you get attending checks and can figure out some way to do that.

A couple reasons I say all this:
I know a physician who busted ass to pay off all their loans in 10 years. Then they got a terminal disease and died within like a year, leaving their spouse and very young child to fend for themselves. Might have been better to spend more time with family, pay less loans, live better, save more in savings in trust for the kid. Student loans die with you.

Another physician had an inheritance in trust for them. They had massive student loans. Partner suggest they use all that money to pay off student loans, physician balked at the idea. Physician was disabled in residency, now has no income. Student loans discharged, money in trust still available, thank God they didn't use it to get out of their loans. Also grateful they didn't use what little stipend they had for loans, and instead lived a little better on it.

Round and round it goes. When I took on student loan debt to pursue an education I could leverage into a higher salary, I just saw it as the opportunity cost. Loan payments, until the day I die (facetious) are just cost of doing business, it is the overhead. It's like living on the street, and then starting a multimillion dollar a month business where you have a million dollars a month in overhead. You're still getting ahead even though you have expenses, so it's still worth doing. I have no problems having a salary and paying on those loans until I don't work anymore.

The issue is that people look at all the "extra" money they'll have/save from interest paying in the short run rather than the long run. The issue is that there is no way to know, as I've illustrated, if you'll ever see those savings on interest. The only money you have is what you make today, and the only money you have for tomorrow is what you save and safely invest.

Any financial advisor will tell you not to sacrifice all savings to bring down debt, the above scenarios being simple examples of why, there's more reasons than that. The key is a balance. That isn't to say there aren't other ideas about paying down debt, or that you shouldn't try to pay down debt.

For me, I calculated I would have had to pay $30K a year just to avoid capitalization, just to keep up with interest, not even pay down principle. Meanwhile, on my IBR my loan payments were like zero or $200 a month. I decided I'd rather have the money in the hand.

Other people are smarter about finances with me, more highly value paying less interest over the life of a loan, and can leverage that financially, and some people are just more conservative about getting what they can now and kicking the loans down the road, like me. Ultimately what it comes down to in finance so many time, is your own values and how risk averse you are.

Reactions: 1 user
i know its late to be asking, it was a question for a little praise in case it was a good decision or critique if it was a bad one. sorry if it inconvenienced you to read that, you could have ignored it.

Overall I'm asking if its smarter to make small loan payments and save more money or make larger loan payments and save less money.

Everyone will have a different opinion...for me, if spending time with your parents is the point than it prolly is a good one...if it was to get ahead of your debts that you decided to take a less prestigious program, well that’s just silly...the overall that you could shave off your loans if you put all of your income toward your debt would be what? 30k? You will be able to do that in 2-3 months on your attending salary after you graduate.

Just don’t forget that you are still their kid in their house.

Don’t get all preachy about what an adult you are if they drop a house rule on you

Reactions: 5 users
Ask for your parents or rich uncle to spot you $6K immediately (if possible) so you can max out a Roth for 2018 before the April 15 filing deadline if you haven't done so already. Tell them you'll pay them back in full by Labor Day and do it ASAP.

Save another $12K for your 2019 & 2020 Roth contributions.

Whatever is leftover, save as both an emergency fund for the present and for when you inevitably become an attending in a few years. Having the extra cash when you finish can be used to get the best rate out there to refinance if you go with First Republic since they ask for such a steep amount of cash to remain in one of their savings accounts...this is if the PSLF plan falls through. If you continue with PSLF, can always use the extra cash toward a home/condo/whatever you want as an attending.

Help with dinner/chores/the lawn a tad before July 1st.

Just my two-cents.

Reactions: 2 users
Ask for your parents or rich uncle to spot you $6K immediately (if possible) so you can max out a Roth for 2018 before the April 15 filing deadline if you haven't done so already. Tell them you'll pay them back in full by Labor Day and do it ASAP.

Save another $12K for your 2019 & 2020 Roth contributions.

Whatever is leftover, save as both an emergency fund for the present and for when you inevitably become an attending in a few years. Having the extra cash when you finish can be used to get the best rate out there to refinance if you go with First Republic since they ask for such a steep amount of cash to remain in one of their savings accounts...this is if the PSLF plan falls through. If you continue with PSLF, can always use the extra cash toward a home/condo/whatever you want as an attending.

Help with dinner/chores/the lawn a tad before July 1st.

Just my two-cents.

You have to have earned income to contribute to a Roth IRA. If OP is a typical 4th year medical student, they don’t have any earned income for 2018, and thus cannot contribute to a Roth IRA for 2018.

Reactions: 3 users
I would advise you put max money into 401k if they have one and Roth IRA once you have earned income, then build up an "oh **** living with my parents as an adult sucks" savings account. Hopefully it ends up not sucking and then that turns into your moving to the new place money. I would do one of the income based repayment plans because you will be able to afford it. After all that if you have leftovers you can choose between paying down loans or starting a taxable investment account. Your interest rates and risk tolerance will factor in to this. But don't underestimate the power of compound interest over time versus the simple interest that student loans have (aside from the interest capitalization that happens when you change repayment plans.

I would advise you put max money into 401k if they have one and Roth IRA once you have earned income, then build up an "oh **** living with my parents as an adult sucks" savings account. Hopefully it ends up not sucking and then that turns into your moving to the new place money. I would do one of the income based repayment plans because you will be able to afford it. After all that if you have leftovers you can choose between paying down loans or starting a taxable investment account. Your interest rates and risk tolerance will factor in to this. But don't underestimate the power of compound interest over time versus the simple interest that student loans have (aside from the interest capitalization that happens when you change repayment plans.

Since most residency places don't have a 401k match, I would fill the Roth IRA first.

agree with starting an emergency fund with goal of 3-6 months living expenses. fully fund roth IRA. contribute to 403b/401k if offered. social issues aside, it could give you a solid footing financially going forward that your colleagues won't have.

My questions are

I am also doing anesthesia. To put this in perspective, between ROL deadline and now, I had some family issues and matched far away from home. Now, I'm in a position where I want nothing more than to be close to home as it's almost a necessity, to the point where I've considered a waiver/transfer. Stay close to family - you will learn to appreciate it in the long run.