NYC Living suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentofsdn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting an advanced program at NYU next year, thinking about where to live since I come from a close-by state and may not get housing in the lottery. I'll be living with my SO which eases the rent burden a little. SO works in Tribeca. Any suggestions on finding optimal neighborhoods to live in for equivalent commute times? NYU's locations a little annoying since the closest subway stop is 33rd st 6 station so this is a bit of a dilemma.

Members don't see this ad.

East Village/Lower East Side is on the cheaper side and you can take the M15 bus up 2nd Ave to Bellevue/Tisch or the 4/6 train to Tribeca. Probably less than 25 minutes to either, depending on where you live in that area. You could also live on the Upper East Side (cheaper as you go higher) and take the 4/5/6 trains to both Bellevue and Tribeca, though obviously Bellevue will be closer.

If you are willing to spend a bunch of money you could live in Flatiron or Chelsea, your SO can take the train down to Tribeca and you can take a crosstown bus to Bellevue.

Reactions: 1 user
East Village/Lower East Side is on the cheaper side and you can take the M15 bus up 2nd Ave to Bellevue/Tisch or the 4/6 train to Tribeca. Probably less than 25 minutes to either, depending on where you live in that area. You could also live on the Upper East Side (cheaper as you go higher) and take the 4/5/6 trains to both Bellevue and Tribeca, though obviously Bellevue will be closer.

If you are willing to spend a bunch of money you could live in Flatiron or Chelsea, your SO can take the train down to Tribeca and you can take a crosstown bus to Bellevue.

good looks! Likely will opt for 1) Flatiron/Chelsea or 2) LES/EV (tho, i've heard negative things about actually living in these two, super loud and rats, etc.). Been there and done that w/ UES and Midtown East and we're looking for a change of scenery now.
Do you think williamsburg would be too much of a PITA to do L-->M15 everyday? Or the feasibility of living further away (Queens, deeper in BK), keeping a car, and driving in?