This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nephromancer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it acceptable to group EC's into one category on your primary? For example, can I list all undergraduate research under one slot, all graduate research under another slot, and all publications yet another slot? I also hope to do something similar for community service.

If I were to do this for community service (or anything), I'm unsure how to utilize the repeat feature on the application. My thought is to not use it, just enter the date for the most recent experience and list dates next to the other experiences in the description.

I know most people don't use all 15 slots and the rule is quality over quantity, but I'm a nontraditional applicant and have meaningful research/work experience related to healthcare spanning undergrad, grad school, and a fellowship.

I appreciate any thoughts/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

How repeat activities work is that you pick a month and year range of the activity, put the # hours in that range, and then do the same for repeats. Example:
Hospice volunteer Jan/16- May/16 50
Hours. Sept/16-April/17 100 hours. You should use the repeat feature - it’ll look silly if you don’t and you’ll waste characters which you could use to show what you learned from that experience.

How repeat activities work is that you pick a month and year range of the activity, put the # hours in that range, and then do the same for repeats. Example:
Hospice volunteer Jan/16- May/16 50
Hours. Sept/16-April/17 100 hours. You should use the repeat feature - it’ll look silly if you don’t and you’ll waste characters which you could use to show what you learned from that experience.

Thank you for the reply. I understand that part of the repeat feature, but what I'm talking about doing is more like this:

EC title: Undergraduate Research
total date range and total hours

In the description:
Research lab 1, 500 hours, September 2016-June 2018: brief description
Research lab 2, 200 hours, August 2018-January 2019: brief description
etc.

My problem is I have more than 15 different EC's I think are important and want to enter. However, I don't want to break the rules or look like I can't follow directions. I'm not sure if what I'm proposing is common place or how adcoms would react.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply. I understand that part of the repeat feature, but what I'm talking about doing is more like this:

EC title: Undergraduate Research
total date range and total hours

In the description:
Research lab 1, 500 hours, September 2016-June 2018: brief description
Research lab 2, 200 hours, August 2018-January 2019: brief description
etc.

My problem is I have more than 15 different EC's I think are important and want to enter. However, I don't want to break the rules or look like I can't follow directions. I'm not sure if what I'm proposing is common place or how adcoms would react.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. If all 15 of your ECs truly are meaningful, I don't know how else you'd be able to do it besides in the description. If its the only way you can do things, I wouldn't expect adcoms to think much of it. I don't think its common because most applicants don't have over 15 different ECs which meaningful to list.

Reactions: 1 user
You can consolidate. It doesn’t say you can only include 15 experiences. It says you have 15 places to describe your experiences. If you have a couple things that are related, there is no reason you can’t consolidate. I will have all 15 filled with a few having multiple things in the description.