What parts of my primary (reapplication) can remain the same/similar to my original application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClashRoyaleKing

Medical School Applicant
Reaction score
I know that my personal statement needs to be tweaked to reflect continued growth and passion in medicine. However, can my activity descriptions (if I think they are decent) stay with few or no modifications? I feel like my writing was decent, although some improvements definitely need to be made.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's important to reassess your original (unsuccessful) appliation with a critical eye. Particularly if you are reapplying to some of the same schools, I would try to show growth and improvement in every area possible (including by reworking, not tweaking, your personal statement). If you have access to a pre-medical advisor, they can be of great help.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Agreed with Rachapkis; while you can probably leave some W/A descriptions the same you should update the activities you have continued and add the new ones you've started. Chatting with a pre-health advisor can help you identify specifically where in your application needs improvement

Reactions: 2 users
Usually, most adcoms want to see a different PS. Essays about your IA or background likely should not be rewritten without consulting your student conduct dean or a pro bono lawyer (if applicable).

Work/activities: completely depends. I have had some reapplicants completely redo their W/A sections. Others write their W/A in a manner that you cannot revise them other than updating hours and responsibilities. Get feedback.

Some secondaries may be harder to do a full revision unless you insufficiently discussed your mission fit relevant to the topic. Get feedback.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Usually, most adcoms want to see a different PS.
Just curious, can adcoms see previous year's PS or have access to previous year's primary applications? I thought each application is independent, and that only what I have on my primary applications is sent.

Just curious, can adcoms see previous year's PS or have access to previous year's primary applications? I thought each application is independent, and that only what I have on my primary applications is sent.
Yes, they can, so that's why it's better to write it again. Also, this essay didn't help you last year, so try a different one.

Reactions: 4 users
I know that my personal statement needs to be tweaked to reflect continued growth and passion in medicine. However, can my activity descriptions (if I think they are decent) stay with few or no modifications? I feel like my writing was decent, although some improvements definitely need to be made.
It's really hard to assess your own writing. And it's impossible for people who haven't reviewed your application to comment on the quality of your writing. However, I can ask questions. In those activity descriptions that you want to reuse, did you just list your responsibilities or activities, or did you also reveal what you learned, what you contributed, and the impact you had on others and they had on you?

And clearly you want to add activities from this year in order to show growth and a new and improved you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Usually, most adcoms want to see a different PS. Essays about your IA or background likely should not be rewritten without consulting your student conduct dean or a pro bono lawyer (if applicable).

Work/activities: completely depends. I have had some reapplicants completely redo their W/A sections. Others write their W/A in a manner that you cannot revise them other than updating hours and responsibilities. Get feedback.

Some secondaries may be harder to do a full revision unless you insufficiently discussed your mission fit relevant to the topic. Get feedback.
Thanks, Smile.

Luckily, I do not have any IA essays to write :) I feel like some of my W/A were written in a manner that could/need to be revised (Clinical Experiences, Extracurriculars, Research, and other Volunteer Experience). Others I feel capture exactly what I want them to capture (Emergency Department Volunteer, Food Closet Volunteer, Tutor, Hobby).

I haven't looked too closely at my secondaries yet, but I anticipate the same mix of definitely change to no change.

If you only applied to a certain amount of schools this cycle, can schools you never applied but will apply to next cycle be able to see your previous PS as well?

It's really hard to assess your own writing. And it's impossible for people who haven't reviewed your application to comment on the quality of your writing. However, I can ask questions? In those activity descriptions that you want to reuse, did you just list your responsibilities or activities, or did you also reveal what you learned, what you contributed, and the impact you had on others and they had on you?

And clearly what you to add activities from this year in order to show growth and a new and improved you.
Thanks for the help, Linda.

The activity descriptions that I want to reuse in my reapplication include a short description of duties/clarification of duties and then a short anecdote + what I learned from the activity/how it impacted me. This comes up both in a nonclinical volunteer experience, clinical volunteer experience, tutor experience, and nonclinical employment activity.

The activity descriptions that I want to redo include 2/3 of my MME's and include, in the activity description, the duties and my takeaways from the role. The MME describes an anecdote from the experience + another thing I learned from the experience. My research and extracurricular activity descriptions (neither MME) focus on descriptions of the activity and I want to redo them because (1) I had low hours at the time of application and could not describe them the best (<50 hrs...) and (2) because they are mediocre at best.

If you only applied to a certain amount of schools this cycle, can schools you never applied but will apply to next cycle be able to see your previous PS as well?
Schools technically can see your past AMCAS applications only if you designated them in those past cycles. If you did not designate them in a past cycle, they shouldn't see your past application.

Thanks for the help, Linda.

The activity descriptions that I want to reuse in my reapplication include a short description of duties/clarification of duties and then a short anecdote + what I learned from the activity/how it impacted me. This comes up both in a nonclinical volunteer experience, clinical volunteer experience, tutor experience, and nonclinical employment activity.

The activity descriptions that I want to redo include 2/3 of my MME's and include, in the activity description, the duties and my takeaways from the role. The MME describes an anecdote from the experience + another thing I learned from the experience. My research and extracurricular activity descriptions (neither MME) focus on descriptions of the activity and I want to redo them because (1) I had low hours at the time of application and could not describe them the best (<50 hrs...) and (2) because they are mediocre at best.
What you wrote sounds good. Again, without reviewing your app and knowing what was in last year's app, what you've done since then, and even some experiences from before you applied that perhaps should have been included, I can't say for sure.

The key points I want to make are that you want your reapplications to

1. Present you as new and improved.
2. Show growth and dynamism.
3. Demonstrate that you addressed weaknesses in your qualifications and your presentation of those qualifications. .

Good luck!