How do I go about presenting my ECs in my med school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gao Xiong

Reaction score
Please do not judge me as I do think it’s the anxiety of everything catching up to me.

I understand that we can submit tangible documents like LORs, MCAT scores, transcripts etc, but I’ve been curious as to how I would present “Scribing 900+ hours” or EC hours listed on an excel spreadsheet to admins in the most appropriate way.

Would it be fine to just list everything that I’ve done in a professional or academic resume, and then submit them along with the documents during my primary application? I would appreciate guidance on this, thank you very much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you might not understand how the AMCAS application works. Part of the AMCAS application is the Works and Activities section where you have 15 activities that you provide contact information for, list hours completed, and write a short paragraph about what you did.

Take a look at this link: AMCAS APP

Please do not judge me as I do think it’s the anxiety of everything catching up to me.

I understand that we can submit tangible documents like LORs, MCAT scores, transcripts etc, but I’ve been curious as to how I would present “Scribing 900+ hours” or EC hours listed on an excel spreadsheet to admins in the most appropriate way.

Would it be fine to just list everything that I’ve done in a professional or academic resume, and then submit them along with the documents during my primary application? I would appreciate guidance on this, thank you very much in advance.
For the more details, see this thread: *~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2024 *~*~*~*

Particularly, start by reading posts 2 and 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also understand the AACOMAS application has some differences.

You've been encouraged to slow down and plan to apply next spring/summer for the 2025 entering class, so why the change?

If you already have a professional resumé prepared, keep that at your side as you fill out the AMCAS application.
The AMCAS application has its own organization and structure. When you enter your jobs, activities, research, and other things in the AMCAS application, this is like creating a new resumé that is easy for schools to read because it gives every applicant the same format.

AMCAS format limits you to 15 items. If you have more than 15 separate items to enter, you will have to choose which are the most important ones you want the schools to know about. You might have to combine shadowing 3 doctors into 1 shadowing entry, then describe or list the details in the description, for example.

If you spend some time looking at the AMCAS guide, and see the instructions for each section you are working on, you will figure it out.