Lincoln Memorial Uni. Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if anyone has submitted their AACOMAS already? I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and do it now or wait until we get to LMU and start the semester.

Also, just wanted to see how many people are retaking their MCAT? Maybe we can set up a study group or something once we get to LMU so that we can get together once or twice a week and review for the MCAT. I am assuming most people that are going to retake, will do it in Jan. 2011? Does anyone know if the MCAT prep that LMU offers will be during the first semester or over the summer after second semester? I really hope it's during first semester so that it can help everyone do well on the Jan. MCAT but I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone has submitted their AACOMAS already? I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and do it now or wait until we get to LMU and start the semester.

Also, just wanted to see how many people are retaking their MCAT? Maybe we can set up a study group or something once we get to LMU so that we can get together once or twice a week and review for the MCAT. I am assuming most people that are going to retake, will do it in Jan. 2011? Does anyone know if the MCAT prep that LMU offers will be during the first semester or over the summer after second semester? I really hope it's during first semester so that it can help everyone do well on the Jan. MCAT but I'm not sure.

The optional mcat prep is over the summer after the second semester. That's what Dr vanderpool told me.

The optional mcat prep is over the summer after the second semester. That's what Dr vanderpool told me.

Oh okay, that's what I thought but I wasn't a 100% sure. Do you have to retake the MCAT? If so, when are you planning on taking it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I drove down to Harrogate TN last weekend from Minnesota and looked for off campus housing. If you are still looking for off campus housing I would suggest contacting Ball Realty (423-626-9393). They are mainly renting to medical students and faculty. They are finishing a complex of one bedroom apartments and they might have vacancies in their two bedroom duplex's. The have two small communities of duplex's one in Harrogate and one in Tazwell (mind the spelling). The apartments and duplex's in Harrogate are pretty close to campus and are probably the best quality of rental (off campus) you can find. The duplex's in Tazwell are about 13 miles away and you would need a car to get to and from them. The school looks great and the town is small (very small), but I am excited for this program! I meet with some faculty from the program and the admission office and they are excited for this program too!! Let me know if any of you are going to be in town early, I am moving down around the 18th of July, I would like to meet up with some people from my program! :):cool:!!

i will leave home the 20th and get there the 21st! maybe some of us can meet for dinner? i think that would be awesome! plus i love food!:D if anybody wants to go to the movies also, let me know! i love movies too! the movies at the theatre are like 3 dollars! so thats pretty sweet:D basically ill have a wk to lay at the pool and hang out before we get into study mode for gross anatomy! so excited!

i will leave home the 20th and get there the 21st! maybe some of us can meet for dinner? i think that would be awesome! plus i love food!:D if anybody wants to go to the movies also, let me know! i love movies too! the movies at the theatre are like 3 dollars! so thats pretty sweet:D basically ill have a wk to lay at the pool and hang out before we get into study mode for gross anatomy! so excited!

I plan on getting there sometime in the evening on the 23rd or mid-afternoon on the 24th, not sure yet. By the way, when we get our tablet PC's, are we actually purchasing them outright or are we "renting" them for the year and will have to give them back? I should call LMU and find out but I thought perhaps someone else has already asked this question.

I will be moving down around the weekend of the 17th and 18th of july. So I am totally available to meet some of my fellow classmates when you guys are in town! I am totally geared up for this semester!!:cool: In reference to the tablet PCs, they are rented not purchased. I was going to call them and see if I have to rent a PC if I already have a computer. I would rather not spend more money than needed, since they offered only loans and scholarships upto the cost of tuition.

Is anyone taking out loans from a private lender for cost of living?? I was not sure if anyone had any suggestions for low interest rates.... FYI: Wellsfargo loans suck!

Is anyone taking out loans from a private lender for cost of living?? I was not sure if anyone had any suggestions for low interest rates.... FYI: Wellsfargo loans suck!

aww really? why do they suck? thats who i got!:(

Wellsfargo loans kind of suck because they are known for jacking up their interest rates after the money is paid out. That is what they did to me with my undergraduate loan. it went way up and I am paying for it now...

Wellsfargo loans kind of suck because they are known for jacking up their interest rates after the money is paid out. That is what they did to me with my undergraduate loan. it went way up and I am paying for it now...

Okay good to know thank you!:oops:

Oops

Last edited:
It never hurts to just send in a new application and show that you are in the program. It can only help!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys I applied to this program like 2 weeks and talked to Dr. Vanderpool and she made sure to get the decision out quickly. She just called me today and told me I was accepted but I talked to her about applying right after the year without the glide year and since I already took the MCAT and i got a 23, she said it was possible if I do well first semester especially in Gross Human Anatomy that DCOM will interview me after the winter break. If anyone has any advice on housing please let me know! Thanks....looking forward to see all of you

Hey guys, just wondering...is everyone who is going to this program hoping to go to LMU's med school? or are you applying elsewhere?

Hey guys, just wondering...is everyone who is going to this program hoping to go to LMU's med school? or are you applying elsewhere?

just here this year...and if they dont accept me then everywhere the next yr:)

I am going to apply everywhere. What is everyone putting as their classes for the pmsp program on their primary?

hey guys just wanted to let youll know i got my books on amazon. just couldnt find the histology one so i have to keep looking for that one. i also had to get the molecular genetics one. so today i ordered five books in total...they came out to 240. some i got new bc it was cheaper to get new. oh im lying..came out to 230. mine was 240 bc i ordered kendras workout dvd too:D that was ten extra dollars.

okay just wanted to give youll some info on the books :) cant wait to meet everybody!!! so excited! anybody living in 301? lol

So i just found out im living in Mars Apartments. My room number is 103. Anyone else find out their room number?

Does anyone know if we can charge our textbooks to our student accounts or do we have to use cash??

hey guys just wanted to let youll know i got my books on amazon. just couldnt find the histology one so i have to keep looking for that one. i also had to get the molecular genetics one. so today i ordered five books in total...they came out to 240. some i got new bc it was cheaper to get new. oh im lying..came out to 230. mine was 240 bc i ordered kendras workout dvd too:D that was ten extra dollars.

okay just wanted to give youll some info on the books :) cant wait to meet everybody!!! so excited! anybody living in 301? lol

Hey! I found the histology book on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Junqueiras-Ba...2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279636216&sr=8-2-spell

So Evelyn called me and told me there was a mix up of rooms and that Im actually going to be living in 206 which is a 1 bedroom!

Hi everyone,
I just moved into Mars Apartment Building 1. My apartment number is actually 103 so if anyone wants to stop by and say Hi you are more than welcome. PM me if anyone is interesting in meeting up. If not ill see you guys wednesday.

I know 2011 is the 2nd year of this program so I want to ask the first year's students how was the program? Did it help you increase gpa, improve chances of acceptance to medical schools (MD or DO), is there really a required glide year, and if the program is worth doing if I want to get into LMU-DCOM? Did the admin present opportunities/activities like schedule shadowing or services?

Thanks.

I know 2011 is the 2nd year of this program so I want to ask the first year's students how was the program? Did it help you increase gpa, improve chances of acceptance to medical schools (MD or DO), is there really a required glide year, and if the program is worth doing if I want to get into LMU-DCOM? Did the admin present opportunities/activities like schedule shadowing or services?

Thanks.

I have an application in and am simply waiting to hear back. Talking with a few current students at LMU, they have been very pleased with the first year post-bacc program. As mentioned earlier, the post-bacc students took first year medical gross anatomy (MGA) with the first year medical school students as part of their course load. I believe they offered a second course to them with the first year students this semester as well (spring). The remained of their courses were made up of upper level sciences. I am not sure how many are in the program (I would surmise somewhere around 15 or so) but as far as I know, all were granted interviews last month by the medical school as long as they had a decent MCAT score either from a previous test or if they tested during the semester (which would be more difficult). From what it sounds like, the majority of those interviewing (if not all of them--don't want to give false information) all received offers for the class starting Fall 2011.

So, I guess that helps explain the "obligatory glide year." There is a grey area, but as long as you have an MCAT score, go through the application process while enrolled in the post-bacc, and maintain an acceptable academic performance during the first semester, you are almost guaranteed an interview with a very good shot at matriculation for the class upcoming. Ideally, you would finish the post-bacc in May and matriculate in August.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks for the info Medic.

Might i ask where you got this info from? Im interested in the program as well. Just trying to get all the facts first.

I have an application in and am simply waiting to hear back. Talking with a few current students at LMU, they have been very pleased with the first year post-bacc program. As mentioned earlier, the post-bacc students took first year medical gross anatomy (MGA) with the first year medical school students as part of their course load. I believe they offered a second course to them with the first year students this semester as well (spring). The remained of their courses were made up of upper level sciences. I am not sure how many are in the program (I would surmise somewhere around 15 or so) but as far as I know, all were granted interviews last month by the medical school as long as they had a decent MCAT score either from a previous test or if they tested during the semester (which would be more difficult). From what it sounds like, the majority of those interviewing (if not all of them--don't want to give false information) all received offers for the class starting Fall 2011.

So, I guess that helps explain the "obligatory glide year." There is a grey area, but as long as you have an MCAT score, go through the application process while enrolled in the post-bacc, and maintain an acceptable academic performance during the first semester, you are almost guaranteed an interview with a very good shot at matriculation for the class upcoming. Ideally, you would finish the post-bacc in May and matriculate in August.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Might i ask where you got this info from? Im interested in the program as well. Just trying to get all the facts first.

Yw. Current students and faculty. I have bothered them enough by now, I suppose, so it seems like they are coming off with more information. Haha

I was accepted for the Fall 2011 entering class. Anybody else? I was reading last year's posts and it seems most students are living at the Mars apartments? Anybody have more info. on this? I can't find anything online.

I interviewed at DCOM last year and they took us to an apartment complex where most of the med students live, don't remember the name or if this is the same complex.

Looking forward to taking the next step with you all. :)

Hey guys I was in the post-bacc program this year and I was accepted into the LMU-DCOM class of 2015 about a month ago. So there were 30 of us to start off with and a few dropped out but I think there are 26 of us left. In the first round of interviews, they gave out I think 15 interviews. Out of those 15 interviews they accepted 8 of us in a week and they are waiting for the MCAT score for the rest of them. The other round of interviews should be coming up in early March and most of those people also were retaking the MCAT either for DO schools or MD schools. I honestly believe that they will take all of us this year because we all did really well last semester. I can say that all the post-baccs really knew their stuff when it came to anatomy and I think this program is really an amazing program. It really gives you a stepping stone into medical school because you take Medical Gross Anatomy with the medical students and it shows if you can compete on the same level as medical students. Everyone is really nice here including all the faculty and medical students and I cant wait to start medical school here next fall. If anyone has any questions about the post-bacc program please feel free to pm me and Ill try to answer any questions I can. Best of luck to all of you guys applying!

I was accepted for the Fall 2011 entering class. Anybody else? I was reading last year's posts and it seems most students are living at the Mars apartments? Anybody have more info. on this? I can't find anything online.

I interviewed at DCOM last year and they took us to an apartment complex where most of the med students live, don't remember the name or if this is the same complex.

Looking forward to taking the next step with you all. :)

Hoping to hear something soon. Can I ask when you applied and when/how they gave you a decision?

What's the area like? I grew up in a small town so rural won't bother me much, but still would like to know what's there to do, shopping areas, hangout areas, etc. How far is it to the nearest big city?

Hoping to hear something soon. Can I ask when you applied and when/how they gave you a decision?

I originally submitted the application back in August/Sept but they didn't start reviewing apps. until December. In December, they sent me a letter, via snail mail, telling me they needed my official transcripts and letters to make a final decision. I called back in January to make sure the transcripts and letters made it there and Sherry told me that I had been accepted. I received the official letter in the mail about two weeks ago.

I hope you hear good news very soon!

I originally submitted the application back in August/Sept but they didn't start reviewing apps. until December. In December, they sent me a letter, via snail mail, telling me they needed my official transcripts and letters to make a final decision. I called back in January to make sure the transcripts and letters made it there and Sherry told me that I had been accepted. I received the official letter in the mail about two weeks ago.

I hope you hear good news very soon!

Congrats!!!!

Sounds like I'm a wk or 2 behind you. I started mine in mid December as well, got everything in in January. Called early Feb and they were still reviewing the current applications they had--said it would be a few weeks and I would know something.

*for everyone else appplying, Dr. Jarster is now the program head (not Dr. Vanderool as the website says).

What's the area like? I grew up in a small town so rural won't bother me much, but still would like to know what's there to do, shopping areas, hangout areas, etc. How far is it to the nearest big city?

It's definitely a smaller town, in all sense of the word. Nestled in the Cumberland Gap in Harrogate with all the mountain scenery you could ever need. While small, there are restaurants, shops, a grocery store, and some smaller hangouts. Knoxville is about an hr away and is the nearest big metro city/area with some smaller towns in between/around the area. I personally (originally coming from a bigger city) love the area, people and everything around it.

Congrats!!!!

Sounds like I'm a wk or 2 behind you. I started mine in mid December as well, got everything in in January. Called early Feb and they were still reviewing the current applications they had--said it would be a few weeks and I would know something.

*for everyone else appplying, Dr. Jarster is now the program head (not Dr. Vanderool as the website says).

Hey everyone, yeah Dr. Jarstfer is actually in charge of the whole program. Last year it was both Dr. J and Dr. vanderpool but now its only Dr. J. Also MedicToMD, most of the people who got in to the program found out in March and April. I actually found out late June because I applied really late but its really good that you guys applied early because they are expecting more applications than last year. This year there were 30 students accepted into the program so I would expect somewhere around there this year also. Good luck to all those applying! This program is amazing!

Can anyone name some apartments or realtor nearby? Couldn't find any list with google. Does the school have housing for students with family?

Can anyone name some apartments or realtor nearby? Couldn't find any list with google. Does the school have housing for students with family?

I would be interested in knowing which on campus or off campus options are available. I would prefer to live off campus but not sure what is available in the immediate area and how reasonable.

I would be interested in knowing which on campus or off campus options are available. I would prefer to live off campus but not sure what is available in the immediate area and how reasonable.

hi =)
do you all think it is too late to apply for this year's entering class? I have a 24 mcat with a 3.4 total gpa and a 2.87 science, any advise will be greatly appreciated. I already have an AACOMAS processed and everything (i dont know if that would help at all).

Thanks,

hi =)
do you all think it is too late to apply for this year's entering class? I have a 24 mcat with a 3.4 total gpa and a 2.87 science, any advise will be greatly appreciated. I already have an AACOMAS processed and everything (i dont know if that would help at all).

Thanks,
hi guys i was accepted today , i love this program , a lot of people on sdn are recommending it . and yes to DNA8577 you should apply the deadline is may first.
anyone here know a good place to rent for a family?
also is it true if you accepted to DECOM first year you wont have to repeat Anatomy?
and finally anyone have the booklist ?
thank you and good luck to everyone applying :xf:

hi guys i was accepted today , i love this program , a lot of people on sdn are recommending it . and yes to DNA8577 you should apply the deadline is may first.
anyone here know a good place to rent for a family?
also is it true if you accepted to DECOM first year you wont have to repeat Anatomy?
and finally anyone have the booklist ?
thank you and good luck to everyone applying :xf:

Congrats Zach! Did you get a call? Letter? Email? Not sure how they are doing notifications now. I actually called this morning and whoever I needed to speak with was in a meeting so I left a message. Hoping to hear something back today or tomorrow. :xf:

DNA: def go ahead and apply. You are still within the window to do so. Good luck!

Congrats Zach! Did you get a call? Letter? Email? Not sure how they are doing notifications now. I actually called this morning and whoever I needed to speak with was in a meeting so I left a message. Hoping to hear something back today or tomorrow. :xf:

DNA: def go ahead and apply. You are still within the window to do so. Good luck!

Thank you and i hope you'll hear the good news soon. i called this morning and asked for Cherry , she is the admissions head.
she is really helpful . call an ask for her and good luck :D

I received an acceptance letter this weekend from LMU-DCOM! I'm still trying to gather some more information on the program and waiting to hear back from other places I applied as well.

does anyone know what gpa and mcat to get in the program in-order to matriculate into the D.O program there?

does anyone know what gpa and mcat to get in the program in-order to matriculate into the D.O program there?

From what I hear and I am not 100% sure here. Average mcat is 24 and gpa is 3.4 . You can find theses info by searching the web.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk