Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! My file has been complete since 9/7 and I haven't heard back at all since. Is this a silent rejection or do they constantly re-review applicants? Should I send an update letter? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How much does the deposit cost?

What is the best attribute of the school and what do you wish was done differently?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Best attribute I'd say is the location. I personally am a very distracted studier so I found living in the middle of nowhere really helped me focus! I wish some of the courses were a little more organized but that's expected of any school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, so as you know we only got to meet 1st and 2nd year students when we interviewed. They didn't have two much insight to the process of applying to clinical rotations when I was there in September.

What is the process of applying to core sites like? Is it completely a pot luck type system? Are most of the rotations preceptor style, with few or no residents? If so, thoughts on that?

Going a completely different direction, where would you live if you were to start year one and two again?

Thanks!

1. Yes core rotation sites are a lottery system. You "rank" them according to top to least favorites and the computer matches everyone. Most people get a place in their top 5 on average. I got my #1. Most are preceptor only, some sites have more residents than others. There are none here at the site I am at. I think it's good and bad- good because you get to do practically every procedure (I want to go into surgery so being first assist was awesome). Bad because you don't get quite as much teaching depending on the attending you're with.

If I started year one and two again I'd live in the same place I lived. I lived in a pet friendly ball realty duplex on todd street. Huge yard. Loved it.

1. Yes core rotation sites are a lottery system. You "rank" them according to top to least favorites and the computer matches everyone. Most people get a place in their top 5 on average. I got my #1. Most are preceptor only, some sites have more residents than others. There are none here at the site I am at. I think it's good and bad- good because you get to do practically every procedure (I want to go into surgery so being first assist was awesome). Bad because you don't get quite as much teaching depending on the attending you're with.

If I started year one and two again I'd live in the same place I lived. I lived in a pet friendly ball realty duplex on todd street. Huge yard. Loved it.

What do you mean by most are preceptors? What else is there?
Thanks for the helpful insight!

What do you mean by most are preceptors? What else is there?
Thanks for the helpful insight!

sorry I mean preceptors like it's just you and an attending AKA just you and the physician. Some sites do have residents/fellows/other medical schools etc.

LMU-DCOM OMS III. Here to answer any questions anyone may have :)
If you have ties to a certain area, is there a way to increase your chances of doing 3rd year rotations at one of the nearby spots? I know VCOM and KYCOM both said when interviewed there that you could fill out a form requesting the site and family ties were usually significant reasons.

If you have ties to a certain area, is there a way to increase your chances of doing 3rd year rotations at one of the nearby spots? I know VCOM and KYCOM both said when interviewed there that you could fill out a form requesting the site and family ties were usually significant reasons.

You can request certain areas but I'm pretty sure no one is "guaranteed" unless your wife/kids/etc are in a certain location if that is where a core rotation site is.

Was interviewed and accepted earlier in the season but I have turned down the offer. Hope it goes to one of you, my darlings

Reactions: 4 users
This thread has been kind of quite lately- any more interviews or acceptance phone calls gone out?

This thread has been kind of quite lately- any more interviews or acceptance phone calls gone out?

I don't even think DCOM is open till after the New Year. I have been accepted and deposited but I haven't been able to get in touch with FinAid all week.

Members don't see this ad :)
And we are back in session! School has resumed.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the school still offers more interview spots? Completed in 9/25 and it is still silent.

When will accepted students receive more information about financial aid and other stuff that need to be completed before orientation. Also does anyone recommend attending the anatomy boot camp this summer?

Does anyone know if the school still offers more interview spots? Completed in 9/25 and it is still silent.

DCOM interviews until almost the end of April, however there are typically 2 weeks in Jan/Feb reserved for the LMU graduate student interviews. Hang tight or give them a call....they won't mind.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Accepted students, PM me for Class of 2021 Facebook group page link.

Does anyone know if you can defer a year at DCOM? If so, any idea on holding fee, the process, etc. Please let me know. Thanks!

How many of the interviewees get accepted?
"They receive 5129 applications, interview 604 candidates, accept 460." This was posted earlier in the thread. These are last cycles numbers. I found these numbers on one of LMU-DCOM's postings on their site.

II for 2/10! Heading down for the Meet and Greet the day before, definitely feel free to message me here and say hi in person. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know where they're going to be living? I'm looking for some ideas

Anyone get a call yet today? (1/20)

No call. Maybe we were rejected :(
Some people do not get a call for an acceptance! The dean is a pretty busy guy and does not get around to everyone. I never got a call, but did get an acceptance email around 11 AM pacific time. :)

Some people do not get a call for an acceptance! The dean is a pretty busy guy and does not get around to everyone. I never got a call, but did get an acceptance email around 11 AM pacific time. :)
They also send out acceptance emails? I had no idea!

Thanks! He actually ended up calling today...accepted!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
What is the dress code like for the meet and greet the night before? Are members from the admissions committee or staff going to be there?

What is the dress code like for the meet and greet the night before? Are members from the admissions committee or staff going to be there?

Most students came in business casual dress. There were not any admissions staff there but there was a nice representation from the student doctors, about four or five of them. Only about eight interviewees came. In our group there were 24 interviewees on interview day.

I am flying in for my interview on Thursday and staying in Knoxville. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

I am flying in for my interview on Thursday and staying in Knoxville. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Avoid any reference to your username and you're golden. I kid, best of luck on your interview. I'll always suggest Downtown Grill & Brewery for dinner. Great beer, food, and they have pool too.

And advice or tips you have for interviews here?
To be honest, I didn't practice for this interview and that's mainly because I have an extensive background in healthcare. I've been an army medic for almost 8 eight years with a year of deployment in Afghanistan. I've seen plenty of combat related injuries and also a lot of third world diseases that most people have only ever heard of in textbooks. I've also worked as an ER tech and currently working as a health coordinator at the VA hospital. In other words, my answers are my experiences. I've had about eight years to figure out why I wanted to go into medicine so every question they've asked me was countered with a story to back up my claim. I'd still study up on the standard questions like "why medicine?" and then relate it to an experience so that you can talk about that during your interview. Telling stories seems to keep the interviewers interested and can make you more memorable :)

And advice or tips you have for interviews here?
Also, don't drive 12 hours the night before your interview and then sleep for 4 hours then show up to your interview the next day.... don't live like me!!

To be honest, I didn't practice for this interview and that's mainly because I have an extensive background in healthcare. I've been an army medic for almost 8 eight years with a year of deployment in Afghanistan. I've seen plenty of combat related injuries and also a lot of third world diseases that most people have only ever heard of in textbooks. I've also worked as an ER tech and currently working as a health coordinator at the VA hospital. In other words, my answers are my experiences. I've had about eight years to figure out why I wanted to go into medicine so every question they've asked me was countered with a story to back up my claim. I'd still study up on the standard questions like "why medicine?" and then relate it to an experience so that you can talk about that during your interview. Telling stories seems to keep the interviewers interested and can make you more memorable :)
thank you for the tips and congratulations on your acceptance! Any questions during the interview that stood out to you as being odd or different than what's generally discussed being asked at LMU on this forum?