Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! Congratulations on all your acceptances!!! How do you hold off on your decision while waiting for other schools' decisions? Did you have to put down deposits? I will probably hear back from others before LUCOM.

Yeah, unfortunately you will probably have to submit a deposit to reserve your seat if you're still awaiting another institution's decision that you're more interested in. It's a small sunk cost though relative to how expensive tuition will be anyway. I think LUCOM was only $500 to reserve your seat (where BCOM was $3,000). I'd say wait until a couple days before the deposit is due just to see if you hear favorably from whatever your priority school is before sending the money. Just be careful not to miss a deadline and forfeit your seat!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'll have to explain my 4 orgamic 1 retakes

I wouldn't sweat over it. I had a REALLY bad couple of semesters at the beginning of my undergrad. I was worried about it before going in but it was really low key. Essentially my interviewer said, "Okay, I'm going to ask about this because I have to...what happened your freshman year???" I told his I was stupid and immature and I've paid for it ever since to which he stated, "Yeah, we see this all the time from male applicants. I was the same when I was an undergrad." And then we moved on. Just own up to it and don't make excuses. We definitely didn't dwell on that part of my application.

I wouldn't sweat over it. I had a REALLY bad couple of semesters at the beginning of my undergrad. I was worried about it before going in but it was really low key. Essentially my interviewer said, "Okay, I'm going to ask about this because I have to...what happened your freshman year???" I told his I was stupid and immature and I've paid for it ever since to which he stated, "Yeah, we see this all the time from male applicants. I was the same when I was an undergrad." And then we moved on. Just own up to it and don't make excuses. We definitely didn't dwell on that part of my application.

AND I was accepted. So don't stress over it.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course dude. Liberty was by far my most enjoyable interview experience. You're going to love it.

I saw the pictures of the campus and the facility, and I'm impressed. Do you know how long it takes to hear back after the interview?

Congratulations on your acceptance! How soon after the interview did you find out ? I am so excited for my interview on the 13th!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks! And I heard back the next week, but they said they normally try for 2 weeks. Good luck!

Loved Liberty University because of the staff and campus, but I will be taking an offer elsewhere. Good luck to all those applying and interviewing! Hope my spot goes to one of you guys who have put in so much effort to this application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received email confirmation of my primary app 30 days ago. Did not receive secondary yet. Should I assume rejection or do they send out official rejection emails?

Received email confirmation of my primary app 30 days ago. Did not receive secondary yet. Should I assume rejection or do they send out official rejection emails?

I'd give it a bit longer, they have probably been off for Christmas holiday.

Don't lose heart! My application was complete at least 60 days before I was offered a secondary. Once the secondary was complete, however, I received an interview invite within five days.

Is Anatomy required? My friend, who is a current LUCOM student, said it wasn't for him. On the LUCOM website, it is on the requirement list, but right next to it, it says "recommended" in parentheses. So then it's recommended?
Also, I guess I didn't see the letter of rec requirement prior to sending my primary........Now I have to find a DO ASAP. :/ I sent hand-written letters to the DOs in my area about shadowing opportunities, but NONE of them replied.

Is Anatomy required? My friend, who is a current LUCOM student, said it wasn't for him. On the LUCOM website, it is on the requirement list, but right next to it, it says "recommended" in parentheses. So then it's recommended?
Also, I guess I didn't see the letter of rec requirement prior to sending my primary........Now I have to find a DO ASAP. :/ I sent hand-written letters to the DOs in my area about shadowing opportunities, but NONE of them replied.

A&P is just recommended. Just likes physics 2. They don't require it but it looks good and gives them another point to rate you on I guess.

Best of luck getting DO letter. Try calling some of their offices. Most would be willing to let you shadow I would bet.

A&P is just recommended. Just likes physics 2. They don't require it but it looks good and gives them another point to rate you on I guess.

Best of luck getting DO letter. Try calling some of their offices. Most would be willing to let you shadow I would bet.

Thanks for the clarification! :) Yeah, I should just call them. There aren't that many DOs around me....

Got accepted in December. Looking for a female roommate for Gardens on Timberlake. Two bedroom/ Two bath in a newly constructed apartment complex. Hit my inbox if you would like to discuss this further! Super excited.

:(Got a post interview rejection here today...interviewed early December. My interview went pretty well (or so I thought).
Overall looks like they stick to their 3-4 week decision timeline. Good luck to everyone waiting!

:(Got a post interview rejection here today...interviewed early December. My interview went pretty well (or so I thought).
Overall looks like they stick to their 3-4 week decision timeline. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Oh, I'm so sorry! Best wishes for the future! I wish for you to get accepted to the most ideal place for you to thrive...

Reactions: 2 users

don't give up. sorry to hear about your news.

Hi everyone, I am a non-traditional student who has a family. If accepted to LUCOM, what are the housing options for those coming with family?

Hi everyone, I am a non-traditional student who has a family. If accepted to LUCOM, what are the housing options for those coming with family?

Lynchburg has very affordable housing. Lots to do. There are a good number of apartments and houses for rent. I don't think you would have an issue. If you interview drive around town and look at the options.

Anyone else receive a secondary after 30 days? Not sure if I'm giving myself false hope or I should assume rejection

Anyone else receive a secondary after 30 days? Not sure if I'm giving myself false hope or I should assume rejection
When did you submit your primary application? I added LUCOM in November, and it took some time for me to get the secondary. I'm debating whether I should submit the secondary because I can't find a DO doctor to shadow, and a letter of rec from a DO doctor is required...:/ It's already January, so I don't know what to do...

When did you submit your primary application? I added LUCOM in November, and it took some time for me to get the secondary. I'm debating whether I should submit the secondary because I can't find a DO doctor to shadow, and a letter of rec from a DO doctor is required...:/ It's already January, so I don't know what to do...

Won't hurt to call their admissions and ask to speak to an admissions counselor. Tell him your situation...I'm sure they'll give you feedback. I love LUCOM's admissions...they are so helpful and genuinely want you to succeed.

Won't hurt to call their admissions and ask to speak to an admissions counselor. Tell him your situation...I'm sure they'll give you feedback. I love LUCOM's admissions...they are so helpful and genuinely want you to succeed.
I submitted mine November 2nd. I have not even received a secondary application nor a rejection letter.

I submitted mine November 2nd. I have not even received a secondary application nor a rejection letter.

Same thing- I'd call and ask. I wasn't expecting a secondary due to my MCAT score (and after talking to them) but I was sent one 2 weeks after my primary being complete. Complete surprise... but I have a feeling it was because of a conversation I had with an admissions counselor earlier and me emphasizing my interest in the school and their mission.

I heard the school does a background check before giving out secondaries.

Has anyone had any luck with getting LUCOM to reopen your secondary? I guess I was sent a secondary app in November, but it ended up in my junk mail folder (I was actually looking for school emails in there today).

I heard the school does a background check before giving out secondaries.
I dont think so. Because after youre accepted they require you to pay and submit a background check through a third party they provide.

Do they pull up your grades and question retakes?

During what portion? In my interview, it was open file but my retakes were not discussed. However, I was open about my grades...just to take precautions.

Withdrawing my acceptance here, hope one of you get it :)

Lynchburg has very affordable housing. Lots to do. There are a good number of apartments and houses for rent. I don't think you would have an issue. If you interview drive around town and look at the options.

Thanks for your input!

Hey Guys,
Is anyone interviewing on Feb 11? I'm really interested in going here.

My Asist portal just changed to "PV Pending Interview 14-JAN-2017"

Does this mean that I have an II coming my way??? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
My Asist portal just changed to "PV Pending Interview 14-JAN-2017"

Does this mean that I have an II coming my way????????? :eek:

That's what my ASIST displayed when I had my interview, so I believe so.

Officially received my II. I am interviewing 1/27.

Pumped!

Is anyone else attending?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 users
Officially received my II. I am interviewing 1/27.

Pumped!

Is anyone else attending?
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, what dates were available when you selected your interview date? I got my II on Jan. 11 and the earliest available date was Feb. 20, so that's what I chose. Definitely wish it could be sooner...

Congrats! Just out of curiosity, what dates were available when you selected your interview date? I got my II on Jan. 11 and the earliest available date was Feb. 20, so that's what I chose. Definitely wish it could be sooner...

Thanks! I got lucky. There was one opening for the Jan 27th date so I took it. The next earliest date was the Feb. 20th date that you posted.

Keep an eye out for openings!

Thanks! I got lucky. There was one opening for the Jan 27th date so I took it. The next earliest date was the Feb. 20th date that you posted.

Keep an eye out for openings!
Is there a way to change the date once you've registered? Should an opening pop up, of course.

Is there a way to change the date once you've registered? Should an opening pop up, of course.
Yes. If you click on the scheduling link they sent you, theres an "edit date" button once you long into the portal.