Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on the II! I actually just interviewed here on Jan 9. Still no response though. If you guys need help, feel free to PM me! In short, after my interview, this school changed from my number 3 on my list to number 1. Everyone was really friendly and they were very open about them being a Christian school and emphasized that they wanted us to be aware of it, but they won't do anything to "push" it on the students. They said that they have their faculty sign some statement of faith but they don't expect their students to do so. I felt like they had nothing to hide and they were willing to disclose information and answer your questions honestly.

Edit: Also, seriously, don't believe all the hate on SDN and the internets. Go to the school yourself and determine if you like it or not. I went in with an open mind and was totally blown away. Besides, if you hate on a school and still choose to invest the time and money to apply, only to talk bad about it, I honestly think it's hard to give you sympathy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats on the II! I actually just interviewed here on Jan 9. Still no response though. If you guys need help, feel free to PM me! In short, after my interview, this school changed from my number 3 on my list to number 1. Everyone was really friendly and they were very open about them being a Christian school and emphasized that they wanted us to be aware of it, but they won't do anything to "push" it on the students. They said that they have their faculty sign some statement of faith but they don't expect their students to do so. I felt like they had nothing to hide and they were willing to disclose information and answer your questions honestly.

Edit: Also, seriously, don't believe all the hate on SDN and the internets. Go to the school yourself and determine if you like it or not. I went in with an open mind and was totally blown away. Besides, if you hate on a school and still choose to invest the time and money to apply, only to talk bad about it, I honestly think it's hard to give you sympathy.

The admissions board and interviewers were meeting today to review those who interviewed over the past 2 weeks. They said they would start getting back to each interviewee after that but to keep in mind it can take an additional week or two to call people. (They have 2-3 interviews X 8 people each every week.)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Almost done with all the admit paperwork!

I know this sounds weird, me being a nurse and all, but I really hate shots. 3 immunizations and 2 TB tests in 3 weeks.

Poking someone else is much more fun than getting poked. Lol :poke:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I know this sounds weird, me being a nurse and all, but I really hate shots. 3 immunizations and 2 TB tests in 3 weeks.

Why did you need 2 TB tests?

Why did you need 2 TB tests?

It was required for my new job and Liberty also requires a 2 step process. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone and got it paid for, woohoo.

But yea, 2 step TBs are standard for a lot of hospitals and healthcare related programs. They want to make sure you are 100% not infected with TB, latent or active. And getting 2 pokes from 2 different medication lots gives them assurance I guess. And it has to be done atleast a week apart.

Same here. Just did my titers last week with my PCP. I hope they come back ok...haven't dealt with immunization in years. lol!

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed on Jan 13th. How long do I need to wait? The nerves are real.

First year here. If you have any questions about LUCOM I'd be happy to answer what I can. Good luck with all the applications.

Reactions: 2 users
First year here. If you have any questions about LUCOM I'd be happy to answer what I can. Good luck with all the applications.

Hi Mednova! Would you be able to shed some light on the daily class schedule? I was told that most days are 8 AM to 3 PM or 8 AM to 5 PM depending on which lab section you are assigned to.

Hi Mednova! Would you be able to shed some light on the daily class schedule? I was told that most days are 8 AM to 3 PM or 8 AM to 5 PM depending on which lab section you are assigned to.

Hey Aldiebear,
Yeah that is correct. Typically class is from 8-12, lunch at noon, and labs from 1-5. The class is divided into group x and group y. (That way we won't have all of us trying to dissect or learn omm at the same time.) We rotate each week as to whether X or Y will go first. Sometimes though there will be multiple labs going on at the same time ie anatomy and omm. So 1-3 pm X group is in anatomy and Y group is OMM, then switch at 3. Hope that helps.

Hey Aldiebear,
Yeah that is correct. Typically class is from 8-12, lunch at noon, and labs from 1-5. The class is divided into group x and group y. (That way we won't have all of us trying to dissect or learn omm at the same time.) We rotate each week as to whether X or Y will go first. Sometimes though there will be multiple labs going on at the same time ie anatomy and omm. So 1-3 pm X group is in anatomy and Y group is OMM, then switch at 3. Hope that helps.

Is lab everyday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Mednova! Appreciate your willingness to share your insight and experiences with us.

I know LUCOM hasn't graduated its first class yet, but how are things looking in terms of residency placement?

Is lab everyday?
Hey Nick,
Lab isn't every day. We have OMM lab on Mondays, PCM lab on Thursdays. Depending on the course, you could have anatomy lab Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday. I know that it seems I just said we don't have lab everyday, but it really depends where you are in the course schedule. Your time spent at the school changes throughout each course. But right now, we just finished the lab component of our GI unit, so that means our afternoons have opened up a little more until GI is over in two weeks. And I believe our Urinary unit doesn't even have an anatomy lab component, so those afternoons might be more open for a while longer. :)

Bananakick - Unfortunately, we haven't graduated our first class, but the third years that took their boards over the summer scored very well for the first class of a brand-new medical school. I believe the unofficial report was 89% of the class passed on their first try. Which is one of the highest pass rates our faculty has seen from up-and-coming medical schools. Our education is outstanding and our faculty has done a great job at improving the curriculum with each class and even each course throughout the year. As a first year, I know that by the time we're ready for residency placements, LUCOM will have an established name in the game. :) If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 4 users
I edited my post. See above. Click on "Asist" on the left toolbar

Thank you! I thought I'd look for any news even though I only interviewed last week. Admissions committee met on Wednesday. Trying to be patient...

Thank you! I thought I'd look for any news even though I only interviewed last week. Admissions committee met on Wednesday. Trying to be patient...

It's extremely nerve-wrecking, I know. I waited two weeks until my acceptance call came through, and yet THAT felt like a lifetime.

It's extremely nerve-wrecking, I know. I waited two weeks until my acceptance call came through, and yet THAT felt like a lifetime.
At this point, I've learned that it's not worth getting nervous about. I'm 0-1-1 right now. Worrying about it 1) Just makes the days go by slower and 2) Sets me up to be more disappointed than if I put it in the back of my mind.

I just go about my normal life and hope for good news :)

Best of luck! I'm pulling for you!

Is it to late to apply here?

Stats:
3.79 science gpa
3.60 overall
500 mcat(third attempt) 127physical/121 verbal/125bio/127psych

Last edited:
Is it to late to apply here?

Stats:
3.79 science gpa
3.60 overall
500 mcat(third attempt) 127physical/121 verbal/125bio/127psych

Depends on your other factors. Background and extracurriculars. GPA is solid, I got in with a 501 and a lower GPA. So if I were you I would apply right now. It can't hurt.
It's a pretty stellar program from what I've seen so far.

Depends on your other factors. Background and extracurriculars. GPA is solid, I got in with a 501 and a lower GPA. So if I were you I would apply right now. It can't hurt.
It's a pretty stellar program from what I've seen so far.
I'm just worried about my low verbal...my extracurricular activities are on point

I'm just worried about my low verbal...my extracurricular activities are on point

do you have a verbal that's higher from your other 2 takes? Or are they old format? They will look at all your scores.

do you have a verbal that's higher from your other 2 takes? Or are they old format? They will look at all your scores.
I'm an esl student so I have always had trouble with it. the other two times I took it is got a 122 and 125

Hey Aldiebear,

Ok understood. Thanks a bunch for your input, Mednova!

I'm an esl student so I have always had trouble with it. the other two times I took it is got a 122 and 125

Then yes, apply. If you didn't grow up learning English then having a not so great verbal isn't bad in my view. Plus you got a 125 on the one test.

Again, if you are interested in LUCOM, I say apply.

Then yes, apply. If you didn't grow up learning English then having a not so great verbal isn't bad in my view. Plus you got a 125 on the one test.

Again, if you are interested in LUCOM, I say apply.
Is DO letter required? I don't have one...

Is DO letter required? I don't have one...
"A Letter of Recommendation is required from each of the following:

• A board-certified Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
  • A science faculty member or pre-health advisor, or committee
  • A pastor, outreach coordinator, employer, or allopathic physician (M.D.)"

Just received my itinerary! Is anyone else going to be interviewing this Friday?

A little off topic, but any good places to start doing a little roommate search? Any apartment recommendations? Thanks!

Pulling for ya bud! I've got a feeling third interview is gonna be the charm for you:soexcited:

Thanks! I really hope so. Having an acceptance somewhere will make life SO much less stressful for me. :)

I'm 0-1-1 right now. Getting back to .500 would be nice ;)

hey I was asleep and received a call from the dean. i was just wondering do they call for waitlists & acceptances or just acceptances?

hey I was asleep and received a call from the dean. i was just wondering do they call for waitlists & acceptances or just acceptances?

I was told during my interview that they only call for acceptances. They'll email for waitlist/rejections.
So............ congrats :)

Interviewed on 1/13 and haven't heard a thing. I think I'm waitlisted.

Interviewed on 1/13, just got acceptance call today! So excited!

Reactions: 3 users
For those that interviewed already, what is the expected attire? Should I wear a suit or something more business casual? Thanks.

For those that interviewed already, what is the expected attire? Should I wear a suit or something more business casual? Thanks.
You should wear what you wear to every other interview.

On another note, I will be giving my thoughts about my LUCOM interview tomorrow.

Cliffs: I was very impressed. Don't believe everything you read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted last night and thrilled to be a part of LUCOM! How do we get in touch with other members of the new class? Is there a way to get added to the facebook page?

Reactions: 3 users