Let's try again, join me for study group NBDE I may/June 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blissonearth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends, let's continue the closed thread here. No promoting any materials here, just prop some in doubt questions as our exam is approaching fast.

Members don't see this ad.

the same here teethie...

Quick question : Which of the following is MOST abundant muscle present in the stomach? ---- Is the answer Oblique ??or what ,,can someone confirm this pls !!

pl help me with the answers with explanations:

1) sterilisation of dental burs is effectively accomplished without corrosion using which of the following?
autoclaving.....................Answer
ultrasonic cleansing
quat compounds
unsaturated chemical vapors
iodophors

2) if IM injection is given to extract mandibular third molar, where will you give it
masseter
medial pterygoid.....................Answere

3) if 0.5 % fluoride is present in water, what is the value in ppm?
how we will calculate
I remeber someone explained it as follows :

0.5 * 10000000 / 100 = 5000...............answer

Which of the following is MOST abundant muscle present in the stomach? ---- Is the answer Oblique ??or what ,,can someone confirm this pls !!

thanks wadent but i donot agree with autoclaving, because it does cause corrosion.
anyone pl clear..

I remeber someone explained it as follows :

0.5 * 10000000 / 100 = 5000...............answer

Which of the following is MOST abundant muscle present in the stomach? ---- Is the answer Oblique ??or what ,,can someone confirm this pls !!

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical Corner: Information on Dental Procedures

Sterilizing Burs

To sterilize Jazz® Polishers

Steam Autoclave at 121 degrees centigrade (250 degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes at 15 p.s.i. Recommendations for the care of tungsten carbide burs
(translations: French, Italian, Spanish, German, German—Robert Koch Institute (RKI)

CONSIDER SINGLE USE FOR MAIN OPERATORY CARBIDES TO INSURE:

• A consistent, fast cutting bur which saves valuable time
  • Greater patient comfort
  • Reduced sterilization cost

clinical_pix.jpg

STEPS TO PROPERLY STERILIZE TUNGSTEN CARBIDE BURS

CLEANING
STEP 1. Wear gloves when handling contaminated instruments. Pre-soak carbide burs in a container of soapy water to loosen debris. Ultrasonic systems may also be used to loosen debris in burs, however burs should be separated from each other in a bur block during immersion to prevent damage.
STEP 2. Brush away remaining debris using a SS White stainless steel wire brush (order no. 26040) and rinse burs under running water.
STEP 3. After rinsing, dry burs thoroughly by placing them on absorbent towels. Pat dry all surfaces.
STERILIZATION
Proper sterilization of carbide burs is extremely important because it :)eliminates the threat of cross infection of patients and staff with communicable diseases.
1. Dry Heat Sterilizers 170°C (340°F) for 1 hour. This method, when used according to manufacturers instructions, will not corrode or dull carbide burs.
2. Steam autoclaves 121°C (250°F) for 20 minutes @ 15 p.s.i. Steam autoclaves will effectively sterilize carbide burs; however, potential for corrosion is present.
AVOID cold sterilizing solutions as they contain oxidizing agents which may weaken carbide burs.
AVOID worn chucks which may cause bur slippage and/or vibration that can lead to breakag

wchich of foll muscles influence mand movt,eventhu its not MM
1.mylohyoid
2.digastric=ans causes mandibular depression alon with the help of laterl pterygoid and geniohyoid and mylohyoid also!

which of foll best describes reln bet max central insisor n max lat incisor
1.contact is offset to lingual
2.lingual embrassueres is larger than fascial embrassure=ans ??:confused:

on crown of mand first molar ,fascial cusp ridge of ML cusp originates at cusp tip n normally terminates at wchich of followng
1.lingual groove=ans
2.half way down fascial surface

i dint understnd this q atall

distoling cusp of rt mand first molar is fractured by exessive contact with oppoing max molar during rt lateral excursion.whcich of foll is most likely of interfernce
1.fascial surface of max fascial cusp
2.lingual suface of max fascial cusp=ans

correct me if am wrong:confused:

hey asheer can u plz explin last ans how did u mark,i need 2 definiely know this,such q r asked very much definite
tnz 4 ans

wadent tnz 4 sending the link,
by the way ,wen is ur exams,seems 2 b shortly
good luk 4 u

Clinical Corner: Information on Dental Procedures

Sterilizing Burs

To sterilize Jazz® Polishers

Steam Autoclave at 121 degrees centigrade (250 degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes at 15 p.s.i. Recommendations for the care of tungsten carbide burs
(translations: French, Italian, Spanish, German, German—Robert Koch Institute (RKI)

CONSIDER SINGLE USE FOR MAIN OPERATORY CARBIDES TO INSURE:

• A consistent, fast cutting bur which saves valuable time
  • Greater patient comfort
  • Reduced sterilization cost
clinical_pix.jpg

STEPS TO PROPERLY STERILIZE TUNGSTEN CARBIDE BURS

CLEANING
STEP 1. Wear gloves when handling contaminated instruments. Pre-soak carbide burs in a container of soapy water to loosen debris. Ultrasonic systems may also be used to loosen debris in burs, however burs should be separated from each other in a bur block during immersion to prevent damage.
STEP 2. Brush away remaining debris using a SS White stainless steel wire brush (order no. 26040) and rinse burs under running water.
STEP 3. After rinsing, dry burs thoroughly by placing them on absorbent towels. Pat dry all surfaces.
STERILIZATION
Proper sterilization of carbide burs is extremely important because it :)eliminates the threat of cross infection of patients and staff with communicable diseases.
1. Dry Heat Sterilizers 170°C (340°F) for 1 hour. This method, when used according to manufacturers instructions, will not corrode or dull carbide burs.
2. Steam autoclaves 121°C (250°F) for 20 minutes @ 15 p.s.i. Steam autoclaves will effectively sterilize carbide burs; however, potential for corrosion is present.
AVOID cold sterilizing solutions as they contain oxidizing agents which may weaken carbide burs.
AVOID worn chucks which may cause bur slippage and/or vibration that can lead to breakag

hey in q clearly mentioned for corrosion resistant technique,method,
n in ur link also say steam sterlisation chances of corrosion present.......i am not sure of ans

i remeber stelising burs with hot bead sterliser,using uv rays,heat from uv rays causes beads hot n red in which burs were inserted , i hav seen this in clinic, so i go with ultrasonic technique,

Hey aathmashree ...ur more than welcome...
Unfortunatly exam is not close ,,no its not ,,becz. i atill have bio.physio + dental anatomy to go ,,, dotnt know how long these gona take ...

Any idea on which muscles in stomach r the most?longtidunal,corcular,or oblique !!!??

wchich of foll muscles influence mand movt,eventhu its not MM
1.mylohyoid
2.digastric=ans causes mandibular depression alon with the help of laterl pterygoid and geniohyoid and mylohyoid also!

on crown of mand first molar ,fascial cusp ridge of ML cusp originates at cusp tip n normally terminates at wchich of followng
1.lingual groove=ans
2.half way down fascial surface

i dint understnd this q atall

correct me if am wrong:confused:
ur answer is correct it's in kaplan book, and mand max facial is larger than lingual

Hey aathmashree ...ur more than welcome...
Unfortunatly exam is not close ,,no its not ,,becz. i atill have bio.physio + dental anatomy to go ,,, dotnt know how long these gona take ...

Any idea on which muscles in stomach r the most?longtidunal,corcular,or oblique !!!??
i think is longitudinal because it's the only outer muscle inner muscle u have circular and oblique. but i'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
the ANS = GREATER PALTINE!

and abt the sterilisation even we used to sterilise them by hot bead steriliser ! bt here the ans might be the chemical vapour or ethylene oxide sterilisation !! cos the ultrasonic is different frm the uv ray sterilisation!

thank you all for your inputs, i am going with answer unsaturated chemical vapors. I am so happy i found the answer.

Unsaturated Chemical-Vapor Sterilization

Unsaturated chemical-vapor sterilization involves heating a chemical solution or primarily alcohol with 0.23% formaldehyde in a closed pressurized chamber. Unsaturated chemical vapor sterilization of carbon steel instruments (eg, dental burs) causes less corrosion than steam sterilization because of the low level of water present during the cycle. Instruments should be dry before sterilizing

ultrasonic cleaning will only loosen out debris but cant be considered as sterilisation method.

thanks u all.

1) sterilisation of dental burs is effectively accomplished without corrosion using which of the following?
autoclaving
ultrasonic cleansing
quat compounds
iodophors

thank you all for your inputs, i am going with answer unsaturated chemical vapors. I am so happy i found the answer.

Unsaturated Chemical-Vapor Sterilization

Unsaturated chemical-vapor sterilization involves heating a chemical solution or primarily alcohol with 0.23% formaldehyde in a closed pressurized chamber. Unsaturated chemical vapor sterilization of carbon steel instruments (eg, dental burs) causes less corrosion than steam sterilization because of the low level of water present during the cycle. Instruments should be dry before sterilizing

ultrasonic cleaning will only loosen out debris but cant be considered as sterilisation method.

thanks u all.

autoclaving
ultrasonic cleansing
quat compounds
iodophors

This is a common question w/ ethylene oxide as an answer choice rather than unsaturated chemical vapors. Just as an FYI ethylene oxide would be correct if it was a listed option.

agree with you, just that it is not an option given, appreciate ur response.

This is a common question w/ ethylene oxide as an answer choice rather than unsaturated chemical vapors. Just as an FYI ethylene oxide would be correct if it was a listed option.

QUOTE=elmos;9936932]soduimfluoride inhibits glycolysis by affecting :
amylase
enolase.....Answer ! iam pretty sure ..
phosphorylase[/QUOTE]

Hey Elmos ! just found the answer to ur question..its in NBDE ist aid ..

Here what it says : Floride inhibits enolase, the enzyme that converts 2-phosphoglycerate----------> phosphoenolpyruvate ...

Hope this helps ..

pl help me with the answers with explanations:

autoclaving ...answer .. why ! well there r 2 kinds (moist heat and dry heat ) moist heat CORRODE instruments ,,but DRY HEAT DONT !
and here they r just sayin the word autocalve ,i mean they didnt specify !!

ultrasonic cleansing
quat compounds
iodophors

2) if IM injection is given to extract mandibular third molar, where will you give it
masseter
medial pterygoid..answer

3) if 0.5 % fluoride is present in water, what is the value in ppm?
how we will calculate

What do u guys think ,,, !! pls correct me iam iam wrong ..(do u agree teethie ? )

Hope that i had solved the mystery!! :)

Thanks !
dont know what i was thinkin dat time ,,, thats what came on my mind with out googling or lookin to any book..
ok then thanks Teethie n elmos.

.6 a V shaped incipient enamel extension coronoradicularly on a crown may be found

1 crossing cervical line on mesial surface of decidous molar
2 to be etiologic factor for localized pdl disease
3 in bifurcated areas of multirooted teeth n commonly on eskimo teeth
4 on mesial surface of max 1st premolar n wil be pathologically .

the ANS = GREATER PALTINE!

and abt the sterilisation even we used to sterilise them by hot bead steriliser ! bt here the ans might be the chemical vapour or ethylene oxide sterilisation !! cos the ultrasonic is different frm the uv ray sterilisation!

oh, yes

dont worry wdent, as long as we all can clear each other s doubts, there is no problem. understanding the right thing at right time is important.if we dont make mistakes, we do not learn.

elmos, sorry have not done anatomy but i will still look into it and post if find an answer.

Thanks !
dont know what i was thinkin dat time ,,, thats what came on my mind with out googling or lookin to any book..
ok then thanks Teethie n elmos.

.6 a V shaped incipient enamel extension coronoradicularly on a crown may be found.

.1 crossing cervical line on mesial surface of decidous molar.
.2 to be etiologic factor for localized pdl disease.
.3 in bifurcated areas of multirooted teeth n commonly on eskimo teeth.
.4 on mesial surface of max 1st premolar n wil be pathologically .

MMR presnt on max 1 pm,wchich extends radicularly,wchich is diff during ,class 2 cavity n root planing,but is it always pathological.?so ,i am not sure......choice 1, tehy r saying abt mand 1 dec molar with potbelly appearance,
cud b ans 2,
wats the ans given....

.6 a V shaped incipient enamel extension coronoradicularly on a crown may be found

1 crossing cervical line on mesial surface of decidous molar
2 to be etiologic factor for localized pdl disease
3 in bifurcated areas of multirooted teeth n commonly on eskimo teeth
4 on mesial surface of max 1st premolar n wil be pathologically .

It is definitely not 4.
It cud be 2 if it is an abrasion which is a v shape notch....is it the same as v shape extension?.
Look at this page...the descriptn under 1st link.We cannot open the link unless we are registerd members..but we can make out by this 3-4 lines

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+deciduous+molars&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

SO im thinking maybe 1 or 2

got it.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2848791/

.6 a V shaped incipient enamel extension coronoradicularly on a crown may be found.

.1 crossing cervical line on mesial surface of decidous molar.
.2 to be etiologic factor for localized pdl disease.
.3 in bifurcated areas of multirooted teeth n commonly on eskimo teeth.
.4 on mesial surface of max 1st premolar n wil be pathologically .

Last edited:
u r right, it should be etiological factor of pdl disease because enamel projections are also found in incisors not only molars. question is saying may be so i will go with second choice.
rose82 thanks for pointing it out.

But this article also mentions that cervical projections cause attachment loss,pockets and hence perio disease.Which means the localised perio disease is also right...

Hi, it is circular i think. check out this link.

The circular fibers (stratum circulare) form a uniform layer over the whole extent of the stomach beneath the longitudinal fibers. At the pylorus they are most abundant, and are aggregated into a circular ring, which projects into the lumen, and forms, with the fold of mucous membrane covering its surface, the pyloric valve. They are continuous with the circular fibers of the esophagus, but are sharply marked off from the circular fibers of the duodenum.
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/gray/subjects/subject/247

regarding muscleof stomouch

which of the following does a human posses b4 birth but not after?
fossa ovalis (closes)
ductus arteriosus (closes)
ligamentum teres
hep vein

I feel both a and b are the answer as both become patent..pls anyone clarify.

which of the following does a human posses b4 birth but not after?
fossa ovalis (closes) (it waz foramen ovalis in fetal life )
ductus arteriosus (closes)...........Answer (becz before birth this ductus arteriosus carry bld from pulmonary-------> systemic....or frm pulmonary art-------> aorta ),,, pls correct if iam wrong !
ligamentum teres
hep vein

I feel both a and b are the answer as both become patent..pls anyone clarify.

Pls correct in case its wrong ! but most likly its true !!!
any opinion!

What is the initial infection by Staph. before it causes meningitis?
a.bone n skin
b.lung and heart

a.bone n skin
b.lung and heart

bone n skin ...correct me!

this is a very silly q..but pls can anyone give the material/point the source to solve it
which is nearest to right kidney?
colon
spleen
pancreas

Im really losing my patience to search for answers...dont know how i'll keep up the tempo:(

yes, it is bone and skin.

colon----------may be not sure:xf:
but spleen is not the answer.

Originally Posted by wdent
a.bone n skin
b.lung and heart

this is a very silly q..but pls can anyone give the material/point the source to solve it
colon
spleen
pancreas

Im really losing my patience to search for answers...dont know how i'll keep up the tempo:(

Thanks teethie..is there any source stating the relations of structures in abdomen (posterior n ant)...or such detail is not necessary?

postganglionics from sup cervical ganglion supplies which muscle?
ciliary
dilator
sphincter
levator palpebrae superioris

acc to 1st aid..postganglionics from sup cervic ganglion gives rise to the 4 plexii..which means ciliary ..so doesnt it mean it supplies the corresponding muscles...which is 1,2 n 3?
pls clarify..thnx

Thanks teethie..is there any source stating the relations of structures in abdomen (posterior n ant)...or such detail is not necessary?

postganglionics from sup cervical ganglion supplies which muscle?
ciliary
dilator
sphincter
levator palpebrae superioris.......Answer ( since it supplies the muscles of upper eyelid,lacrimal and salivary galnd ,and papilary muscle dilator and errector pilli muscle ) becz lesion to this ganglia causes the upper eye-lid to drop.... pls correct if iam wrong !:rolleyes:

acc to 1st aid..postganglionics from sup cervic ganglion gives rise to the 4 plexii..which means ciliary ..so doesnt it mean it supplies the corresponding muscles...which is 1,2 n 3?
pls clarify..thnx

iron-porphyrin protein is:
hemoglobin
albumin
cytochrome

the answer was cytochrome but why not hemoglobin can anyone explain?

colon
spleen
pancreas

hi rose
teethie is correct its colon is the rite answer.you should see atlas to locate the exact relations.if u hav netter's atlas page no 257 and261.
hope that helps or may be search sum vedio on yuotube for abdominal anatomy .

i don't think it's the answer
i think it's dilator
The sphincter muscle has a parasympathetic innervation, and the dilator has a sympathetic innervation. In pupillary constriction induced by pilocarpine, not only is the sphincter nerve supply activated but that of the dilator is inhibited. wiki pidia

Status
Not open for further replies.