Let's try again, join me for study group NBDE I may/June 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blissonearth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends, let's continue the closed thread here. No promoting any materials here, just prop some in doubt questions as our exam is approaching fast.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks teethie..is there any source stating the relations of structures in abdomen (posterior n ant)...or such detail is not necessary?

postganglionics from sup cervical ganglion supplies which muscle?
ciliary
dilator
sphincter
levator palpebrae superioris

acc to 1st aid..postganglionics from sup cervic ganglion gives rise to the 4 plexii..which means ciliary ..so doesnt it mean it supplies the corresponding muscles...which is 1,2 n 3?
pls clarify..thnx
the postganglionic fibres supply pupillary dilator muscle,muller muscle of the upper eyelid ,lacrimal and salivary glands,blood vessels ,sweat glands and arrector pili muscle of the head.
its given on page 703 in kaplan anatomy chapter on autonomic nervous system .so i think it should be 2nd choice .plz correct me if u think its wrong .

Members don't see this ad :)
hey
was solving some couple of tests ,,But In ( I-B ) ASDA.quest number 18

berry aneurysm may result in
a.cerebrovascular accident
b.sudden severe chest apin
c.painless swelling of leg
d.focus of radiolucency in a long bone

the key says that the answer is (a) ...why ??? !!!!!!!!!! i remeber that berry aneeurysm in NOT causes by accidents !! unlike epedural and subdural hematoma ,,, thats how i memorized it from nbde ist aid.

any idea plsssssss! or the key is wrong !

the ans is correct cos the cerebrovascular accidents dosnt mean due to an accident in traffic or so!!!! its the term refering to the harmful accidents in the brain like the hemorrhage the stroke due to embolus or so! hope i cleared ur doubt! if still need more clarification search fr the cvs accidents in the book ull get it!:)

agree :thumbup:
the ans is correct cos the cerebrovascular accidents dosnt mean due to an accident in traffic or so!!!! its the term refering to the harmful accidents in the brain like the hemorrhage the stroke due to embolus or so! hope i cleared ur doubt! if still need more clarification search fr the cvs accidents in the book ull get it!:)

just to clarify...the answer for that was dilator.thnx for the responses everybody.

Can anyone answer these Qs:

Which of the following methods of sterilization requires the longest time?
a. steam under pressure at 250 F (121 C)
b. steam under pressure at 340 F (171 C)
c. Unsaturates chemical vapor at 270 F (132 C)
d. Dry heat at 320 F (160 C)
e. Dry heat at 340 F (171 C)

Which of the following describes the proper axial inclination of palatal root of a maxillary 2nd molar?
a. vertical
b. mesial and facial
c. mesial and lingual
d. distal and facial
e. distal and lingual

Which of the following describes the example of innate immunity?
a. an allergic reaction to insect venom
b. the classic pathway of complement
c. the destruction of virus infected cells by T-killer cells
d. the production of IgG in response to insect venom
e. the alternative pathway of complement

Methylated labile protein
a. S-adenosyl methionine
b. Tetrahydrofolate
c. methionine

which embrassure views do u see in posterior teeth?
a. occlusal
b. cervical
c. facial
d. lingual

Thanks in advance

c. Unsaturates chemical vapor at 270 F (132 C) answer
d. Dry heat at 320 F (160 C)

Which of the following describes the proper axial inclination of palatal root of a maxillary 2nd molar?
a. vertical
b. mesial and facial
c. mesial and lingual
d. distal and facial
e. distal and lingual answer

e. the alternative pathway of complement answer

a. S-adenosyl methionine answer
b. Tetrahydrofolate
c. methionine

a. occlusal
b. cervical
c. facial
d. lingual
i didn't understand this question
Thanks in advance
please correct me if i'm wrong

d. Dry heat at 320 F (160 C)=ANS

a. vertical
b. mesial and facial
c. mesial and lingual
d. distal and facial
e. distal and lingual=ANS???????????:confused:

e. the alternative pathway of complement= ANS

a. S-adenosyl methionine=ANS????
b. Tetrahydrofolate
c. methionine

a. occlusal=ANS ???? BUT DINT UNDERSTAND THE QSTN :confused:
b. cervical
c. facial
d. lingua

CAN U PLS GIVE THE ANS FR THESE QSTNS:)

Members don't see this ad :)
a. vertical
b. mesial and facial
c. mesial and lingual
d. distal and facial
e. distal and lingua

I think so.

About the embrasure..if the q is complete,what i can understand is ''what embrasure can we see when we look from outside in a patients mouth?''
But i cant understand the options...i know only facial and lingual embrasures.What is a cervical embrasure...dont rmr...

Last edited:
hi

d. Dry heat at 320 F (160 C)=ANS--:thumbup:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=3f-...chemical vapor sterilization dry heat&f=false

e. the alternative pathway of complement= ANS--:thumbup:

a. S-adenosyl methionine=ANS????:thumbup:
b. Tetrahydrofolate
c. methionine

thanks asheer for that
i don't think it's facial because it'a apalatal root so perhaps it's mesial and lingual.it's not the crown

thanks asheer for that
i don't think it's facial because it'a apalatal root so perhaps it's mesial and lingual.it's not the crown

I read somewhere that the palatal root tips lingually but the tip of the root dips facially(see the diagram in wheelers).However,there is a q on this in asda..what answer they gave i dont remember.any inputs anyone?

so u guys finally wanna say its DISTAL N FACIAL inclination of the palatal root!:)

it is distal for sure...but like i said,the root is inclined lingually and the tip facially.
So Im thinking,if the root is given we have to answer Distally and lingually
if root tip is given -distally and facially

I saw q's on this..but i did it like in feb..so i cant say 100%

hey friends..
can anyone tell me what is the difference between dent essential, kaplan review book and kaplan lecture notes??
plz reply soon.....
i m so confuse with these 3 things...
which one is the bet study material for nbde part 1 and from where i buy this....
my id is [email protected]

Hey guys ..
So whats the final Answer !! each one sayin diff. things
Can wel all agree on distal-lingual !!
Or we Need the united nation to resolve this problem ; )

see the kaplan lecture notes is very imp cos its a ful detailed version !

n the kaplan review or the dentessentials is the same dats fr the last minute revision ! so its a choice but its good too!

do the decks 2009-2010

u can get these on ebay or amazon ppl sell the used books there! hope this info helps:) all the best

can anyone tell me wether the info given abt the glossopharyngeal nerve in deck no235 is correct i think the info they gave abt the visceral effrnts is wrong!:rolleyes:

can anyone tell me wether the info given abt the glossopharyngeal nerve in deck no235 is correct i think the info they gave abt the visceral effrnts is wrong!:rolleyes:

u r rite asheer ,its wrongly given there.
this is what i found on wikipedia .
3. Overview of visceral motor component.
Parasympathetic component of the glossopharyngeal nerve which innervates the ipsilateral parotid gland. Origin and central course - visceral motor component. The preganglionic nerve fibers originate in the inferior salivatory nucleus of the rostral medulla and travel anteriorly and laterally to exit the brainstem between the olive and the inferior cerebellar peduncle with the other components of CN IX. Note: These neurons do not form a distinct nucleus visible on cross-section of the brainstem. The position indicated on the diagram is representative of the location of the cell bodies of these fibers. Intracranial course - visceral motor component. Upon emerging from the lateral aspect of the medulla, the visceral motor fibers join the other components of CN IX to enter the jugular foramen. Within the jugular foramen there are two glossopharyngeal ganglia which contain nerve cell bodies which mediate general, visceral, and special sensation. The visceral motor fibers pass through both ganglia without synapsing and exit the inferior ganglion with CN IX general sensory fibers as the tympanic nerve. Before exiting the jugular foramen, the tympanic nerve enters the petrous portion of the temporal and ascends via the inferior tympanic canaliculus to the tympanic cavity. Within the tympanic cavity the tympanic nerve forms a plexus on the surface of the promontory of the middle ear to provide general sensation. The visceral motor fibers pass through this plexus and merge to become the lesser petrosal nerve. The lesser petrosal nerve re-enters and travels through the temporal bone to emerge in the middle cranial fossa just lateral to the greater petrosal nerve. It then proceeds anteriorly to exit the skull via the foramen ovale along with the mandibular component of CN V (V3). Visceral motor component - extra-cranial course and final innervations. Upon exiting the skull, the lesser petrosal nerve synapses in the otic ganglion which is suspended from the mandibular nerve immediately below the foramen ovale. Postganglionic fibers from the otic ganglion travel with the auriculotemporal branch of CN V3 to enter the substance of the parotid gland. Hypothalamic Influence - visceral motor component. Fibers from the hypothalamus and olfactory system project via the dorsal longitudinal fasciculus to influence the output of the inferior salivatory nucleus. Examples include: 1) dry mouth in response to fear (mediated by the hypothalamus); 2) salivation in response to smelling food (mediated by the olfactory system)

which of the following statements are applicable to the protruded contacting movement of mandible?
1.this is bilaterally symmetrical condylar movement
b) the condyle moves forward and carries the disk with it
c) the disk moves and carries the condyle with it
d)the disk tends to be tilted in a superior-inferior fashion on the condyle
e)this is reliably reproducible movement

1.a,b,d
2.a,c
3.a,d,e
4.b,d,e
5.c,d,e
6.all the above

Last edited:
hey guys, in my 2009 - 10 decks,in anatomical science,questions fromm 101 to 110 r missing, is this the same with every 1, r if it is thaere can any 1 plz post these questions, ..this link plz...........

any 1 let me know th working side contacts, n glidng surfaces n interference,
also abt nonworking side
once if read here ,cud b usefull 4 all n wont forget

which of the following statements are applicable to the protruded contacting movement of mandible?

1.a,b,d
2.a,c
3.a,d,e
4.b,d,e
5.c,d,e
6.all the above

I guess ans shd be (A. B. E.)
but that doesn't seem to be an option, can you please check the options again.

Agree

a. vertical
b. mesial and facial
c. mesial and lingual
d. distal and facial
e. distal and lingual=ANS???????????:confused:

I can"t agree to any of the options, coz as far as i understand the Palatal root is in line with the buccal groove, so it means it is straight and can't be facial as it is slightly lingually or palatally flared.

Agree

a. S-adenosyl methionine=ANS
b. Tetrahydrofolate
c. methionine
It is an active methyl group donor which implies labile. so this is the answer.

a. occlusal ???? BUT DINT UNDERSTAND THE QSTN :confused:
b. cervical
c. facial
d. lingual
Yepp cudn't understand this either, but just for clarification.
some one asked cervical embrasure so just mentioning that it is another term for gingival embrasure. which is also seen from both facial and lingual surface.

CAN U PLS GIVE THE ANS FR THESE QSTNS:)

plz correct it if you find it wrong!

can anyone plz help me understand concept of how clearance is increased or decreased wen substances are reabsorbed or secreted .in deck no 166 under points to remember it mentions if tubules reabsorb sunstance the clearance is less then gfr n if tubules secrete substanceclearance exceeds gfr n thirdly if tubules reabsorb and secrete a substance clearance may be less than equal to or greater than the gfr .
for sume reason its not goin into my head.or is there some gud link that explains the concept well.

Last edited:
another doubt in deck no 167 mentions that vasa recta do not create the medullary hyperosmolarity but do prevent it frm being dissipated and can carry away the water that has been reabsorbed .

can some expalin what this staeement means coz i always though that vasa recta helps in creating medullary hyperosmolarity.???

can anyone plz help me understand concept of how clearance is increased or decreased wen substances are reabsorbed or secreted .in deck no 166 under points to remember it mentions if tubules reabsorb sunstance the clearance is less then gfr n if tubules secrete substanceclearance exceeds gfr n thirdly if tubules reabsorb and secrete a substance clearance may be less than equal to or greater than the gfr .
for sume reason its not goin into my head.or is there some gud link that explains the concept well.
gfr is when the substance goes directly into the urine when is filtered it's a straight line . when the substance is reabsorbed it goes to the blood again then the amount in the urine will be less than the substance of gfr (inulin) so the curve will not reach the straight line
when the substance is filtered and the secreted that means the amount secreted will go to the urine. so the curve is above the inulin.
i hope this explanation helps.

Answers are as follows:

a. vertical
b. mesial and facial= Ans
c. mesial and lingual
d. distal and facial
e. distal and lingual
Mesial and facial is given as answer in the following link:
http://www.cyberdent.ca/pdf3d/interactive3Ddentalanatomy.pdf (keep srolling down. at the end of topic on right side u ll find the Question)

a. S-adenosyl methionine=ANS
b. Tetrahydrofolate
c. methionine

a. occlusal
b. cervical
c. facial
d. lingual
I dont know the answer for this

Which mandibular movement is limited by anatomical structure
a) mediotrusive
b) laterotrusive

Normal bicarbonate in the body is 1:20, if it becomes 1:10 then it is
a) uncompensated alkalosis
b) uncompensated acidosis
c) compensated alkalosis
d) compensated acidosis

What happens in a cell with decreased amount of citrate?

Glucose can be made from each of the following except
a) lactate
b) glycerol
c) fructose
d) fattyacid
e) pyruvate

HIV positive patient, dentist needs medical consultation-
a) should ask parents consent to disclose medical history
b) should place medical alert label on the file

Patient has a bubble on deciduous molar
a) dentist should extract and place space maintainer
b) do temporary restoration
c) wait and watch for 6 months

a) lactate
b) glycerol
c) fructose
d) fattyacid............answer
e) pyruvate

Fatty acids cannot be converted into glucose in animals with the exception of odd-chain fatty acids, which yield propionyl CoA, a precursor for succinyl CoA. In plants, specifically in seedlings, the glyoxylate cycle can be used to convert fatty acids (acetate) into the primary carbon source of the organism. The glyoxylate cycle produces four-carbon dicarboxylic acids that can enter gluconeogenesis.[4] Glycerol, which is a part of all triacylglycerols, can also be used in gluconeogenesis. In organisms in which glycerol is derived from glucose (e.g., humans and other mammals), glycerol is sometimes not considered a true gluconeogenic substrate, as it cannot be used to generate new glucose.

i'm not sure if fructose can be changed to glucose by some means coz they both r 6 carbon .if not then may be fructose is the answer.

hi
the normal blood bicarbonate-carbonic acid ratio is 20:1,pt with 10:1 ratio is in:
1) compensated alkalosis
2)compensated acidosis
3)uncompensated alkalosis
4) uncompensated acidosis
5)none of the above.
answer given is uncompensated acidosis(asda released)

What happens in a cell with decreased amount of citrate?
ans: tca will inhibit

a) lactate
b) glycerol
c) fructose
d) fattyacid----answer
e) pyruvate

Patient has a bubble on deciduous molar???? never heard before...
a) dentist should extract and place space maintainer
b) do temporary restoration
c) wait and watch for 6 months

gfr is when the substance goes directly into the urine when is filtered it's a straight line . when the substance is reabsorbed it goes to the blood again then the amount in the urine will be less than the substance of gfr (inulin) so the curve will not reach the straight line
when the substance is filtered and the secreted that means the amount secreted will go to the urine. so the curve is above the inulin.
i hope this explanation helps.
thnks elmos .

1.a,b,d
2.a,c
3.a,d,e
4.b,d,e
5.c,d,e
6.all the above

hey wats ans 4 this

Hey ..
2day started with biochemstry from kaplan ,began readin it feels like its too tough to understand ! is it any better if i do it from brs lipincott + decks !!! need advice plsss..

Hey ..
2day started with biochemstry from kaplan ,began readin it feels like its too tough to understand ! is it any better if i do it from brs lipincott + decks !!! need advice plsss..

If you dont like kaplan then try going through lippincott review instead of BRS lippincott, havn't heard anything particularly good about lippincott BRS.

Well kaplan is a great book, look for some illustrations here and there and you will be able to correlate what they are saying, it is a book which is sufficient to get all concepts. even though i suggested lippincott review, still its too vast to cover in a short time.

can anyone outline the sequence of ducts coming out from a salivary gland..as in 1st 2nd and then... for striated, intercalated and so on?
also if possible their epi..striated is low columnar..what abt others?

wdent, read lippincott if you have not started with kaplan, because then you dont have to read kaplan. never leave decks.

Hey ..

Status
Not open for further replies.