Let's do some echo:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Long story short, 40 y/o male with no significant past medical history admitted for weakness, fever/chills, and shortness of breath. TTE performed found a Mitral vegetation. TEE performed with some images below. Surgeon wants to know what he has to do and if he can do the case at a community hospital that does about 150-200 hearts per year, but no ECMO or other advanced capabilities available.

Nice. I’d take a real good look at the aorto/mitral curtain- looks like abcess. Bicuspid AV. Root looks aneurysmal. Replace AV/MV.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
* do it at a place that has ecmo/mechanical support.

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like a degenerated bio prosthetic mitral with mixed stenosis and regurgitation?

You so smart bro-tatochip. 👌🏾

Redo-redo mvr/failed bpv.

Mean gradient 11 mmHg and severe MR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
C615D78E-5E56-401D-8423-BB2E185C71FB.jpeg

Agree with sevo- would want a better look at the ascending. Could be as little as AVR/MVR, or as extensive as commando procedure + Bentall, depending on root dimensions and how things look when you get in there… but at the end of the day, it needs to be explored surgically (at a place that has ECMO capability)

40 yo, preserved BiV function, and if he's not not on deaths door with florid sepsis, intubated, multiple pressors, in pulmonary edema, etc, then I don't think it absolutely has to go to an ecmo center. I sure would prefer it to be at a quaternary place, but everywhere nowadays has iNO (or inhaled flolan) and impellas.

One of the biggest factors is how good is the surgeon. Some can bang out a double valve with a 90 min pump time, and for others the whole case is a 8-10 hr blood letting with stoneheart cross clamp times...

@sevoflurane FTW. Pt had MV endocarditis with involvement of the Aorto-mitral curtain, Bicuspid AV, and Aortic Root Aneurysm with Abscess. Transferred and ended up having an AVR/MVR, Aortic Root debridement, LA wall and Aortomitral curtain debridement, and Ascending reconstruction. Better known as a Commando Procedure.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Reaction GIF

Sorry, couldn't help myself, haha

I must admit that I did not take these TEE images. CT surgeon was consulted on this pt to fix the MV and possibly the AV, which the Cardiologist thought might be a Unicuspid. Unfortunately, there were some things that I wish were better imaged like the AV and the Root, but I basically gave him an opinion on the images I had to look at. I'm not trying to throw shade at Cardiologists, but most just don't have the same level of TEE experience/practice to guide surgical management.

This patient was transferred out to a hospital where we do ~2000 hearts per year and handle the sickest patients (ECMO, iNO/Flolan, Impella, etc capabilites). Unfortunately, none of these modalities were available at the patients current hospital.

Reactions: 5 users
@sevoflurane FTW. Pt had MV endocarditis with involvement of the Aorto-mitral curtain, Bicuspid AV, and Aortic Root Aneurysm with Abscess. Transferred and ended up having an AVR/MVR, Aortic Root debridement, LA wall and Aortomitral curtain debridement, and Ascending reconstruction. Better known as a Commando Procedure.

I must admit that I did not take these TEE images. CT surgeon was consulted on this pt to fix the MV and possibly the AV, which the Cardiologist thought might be a Unicuspid. Unfortunately, there were some things that I wish were better imaged like the AV and the Root, but I basically gave him an opinion on the images I had to look at. I'm not trying to throw shade at Cardiologists, but most just don't have the same level of TEE experience/practice to guide surgical management.

This patient was transferred out to a hospital where we do ~2000 hearts per year and handle the sickest patients (ECMO, iNO/Flolan, Impella, etc capabilites). Unfortunately, none of these modalities were available at the patients current hospital.
You always have great cases. thanks for posting @sethco

Lol at commando procedure... I should watch that again. Great flick.

Surgeon wants to know what he has to do and if he can do the case at a community hospital that does about 150-200 hearts per year, but no ECMO or other advanced capabilities available.

150 per year? If half are cabg only thats about 80 valves. Per year. Wow... Thats... Wow

Yeah no

Remember Sully when I promised to kill you last? ….I lied

My turn. Case from a few weeks back… Otherwise healthy lady, transferred from OSH with reported type A dissection. Would you agree? What to tell the surgeon?

1628199309182.gif

1628199459024.gif

1628199508454.gif

1628199575517.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My turn. Case from a few weeks back… Otherwise healthy lady, transferred from OSH with reported type A dissection. Would you agree? What to tell the surgeon?

View attachment 341666

View attachment 341667
View attachment 341668
View attachment 341669
Very cool. Looks like NCC leaflet destruction or ?bicuspid with sequelae of endocarditis, annular/LVOT involvement, SoV aneurysm, and multiple perforations causing some funky communications.

My thoughts:

There is primary AI from Ao to LVOT.

There is also a fistula between the SoV aneurysm and the LVOT with possible flow in both phases of the cardiac cycle based on the 2d shot, but CFD shows primarily diastolic flow. Seems the total of amount of regurgitation from all sources is so much that a big PISA is forming.

Reactions: 2 users
Very cool. Looks like NCC leaflet destruction or ?bicuspid with sequelae of endocarditis, annular/LVOT involvement, SoV aneurysm, and multiple perforations causing some funky communications.

My thoughts:

There is primary AI from Ao to LVOT.

There is also a fistula between the SoV aneurysm and the LVOT with possible flow in both phases of the cardiac cycle based on the 2d shot, but CFD shows primarily diastolic flow. Seems the total of amount of regurgitation from all sources is so much that a big PISA is forming.
Nice, @vector2 - close. No endocarditis, and tricuspid aortic valve. This was a SOV pseudoaneurysm (NOT a classic SOVA) that ruptured into the LVOT, resulting in severe regurgitation. Not that the “neck”of the pseudoaneurysm sack is narrow, and that the remainder of the ruptured sinus looks relatively normal. Two jets can be seen in diastole, one filling the pseudoaneurysm sack from the aortic root and the other flowing back into the LVOT. There was mild valvular AI as well, likely from architectural distortion of the AV annulus. Interestingly I thought that it was the left sinus which was ruptured, but the surgeon found that it was actually the non… I assume that the whole thing got so twisted up and distorted that it threw off our usual landmarks and relationship to the IAS.

And @sevoflurane I did get some great cases as a fellow, but this was one of the last! I am now a few weeks into my new PP job : )

Reactions: 8 users
And @sevoflurane I did get some great cases as a fellow, but this was one of the last! I am now a few weeks into my new PP job : )
Super pumped for you!
Congrats on finishing a long and hard road. These next few years are especially delicious. 👊🏽

Nice, @vector2 - close. No endocarditis, and tricuspid aortic valve. This was a SOV pseudoaneurysm (NOT a classic SOVA) that ruptured into the LVOT, resulting in severe regurgitation. Not that the “neck”of the pseudoaneurysm sack is narrow, and that the remainder of the ruptured sinus looks relatively normal. Two jets can be seen in diastole, one filling the pseudoaneurysm sack from the aortic root and the other flowing back into the LVOT. There was mild valvular AI as well, likely from architectural distortion of the AV annulus. Interestingly I thought that it was the left sinus which was ruptured, but the surgeon found that it was actually the non… I assume that the whole thing got so twisted up and distorted that it threw off our usual landmarks and relationship to the IAS.

Any idea what caused it?

Any idea what caused it?
Nope. A bunch of tests still pending, last I checked, including RPR (syphilis). I should mention the ascending aorta was ratty and aneurysmal as well, supporting that theory in this young and otherwise healthy non-smoker. Otherwise just bad luck I guess? I’ve lost access to my old hospital’s EMR, so I’m unable to follow up on the results and path at this point

What did the surgeon do? Attempted repair at all?
Great images.

Does pseudo aneurysm sov vs true aneurysm alter mgt at all?
Thank you and congratulations!

What part of the country you working? what's the practice setup?
New England. Privademic kind of set up (PP group, but have residents/fellows/grand rounds/etc). Supervision outside of cardiac, solo or with fellows/residents in the heart room.

First case back after a 6 week hiatus from work. 😂
Someone mentioned earlier that EF’s of 15% don’t exist.

What is truly remarkable is that this patient’s first bp in the room was 195/110.

Reactions: 4 users
Patients really suprise me sometimes.

First case back after a 6 week hiatus from work. 😂
Someone mentioned earlier that EF’s of 15% don’t exist.

What is truly remarkable is that this patient’s first bp in the room was 195/110.

IME that scenario is fairly common. They tolerate anesthesia well too as long as they’re not overdosed.

needs at least 3 months before you actually see a real difference, but at least he came off the pump lol

Time to revive this thread, one of my favorites. This case is for the echo nerds…

60ish yo lady, BAV and ascending aneurysm. Got an AVR with a 25mm Inspiris valve, and ascending aorta replaced with a 34mm Gelweave graft.

This clip was taken after the aortic cross clamp was removed, but before separation from bypass. What do we see, what do we think it is, what to tell the surgeon?

1636682752794.gif

Since nobody is taking the bait, I’ll give a hint- does it matter what kind of valve the surgeon used here?

Fine, I’ll bite. In addition to what you’ve got above, I’d take a look at the ME LAX, AV SAX, check a 3D if I’m feeling extra. Once I’d convinced myself it wasn’t paravalvular I’d tell the surgeon valve looks good.

The new inspiris valves frequently have a non-trivial appearing, eccentric, intravalvular leak that is transiently present after separation from bypass. That’s probably what this is.

@Beeftenderloin bingo! You nailed it.

This is also known as a “wire frame leak”. Can be fooled into thinking this is a small PVL if you’re not familiar with it. This image shows where the leak comes from (perforations at the base of the stent post, but still technically inside of the sewing ring… so outside of the valve leaflets, but not really paravalvular):
1636748843299.jpeg

We came off of bypass, and the leak resolved:

1636748922435.gif

This issue is only seen with Inspiris valves smaller than a 27; if you see a leak in a 27 or 29 Inspiris, it’s more likely a real para

Reactions: 3 users
Final comment in reply to @Beeftenderloin - this leak was hard to see in any of the mid-esophageal views (just a suggestion of a little jet in the ME LAX). It also didn’t show up in the deep TG view without X-planing… A nice illustration of why X-plane through the DTG view is my favorite way to exclude AV PVLs. But I’ll get off my soap box now : )

Okay, my turn. Just pictures. Anyone want to take a stab at what the hell is going on here?

Not sure. Left image I figured that it was just pretty standard wire and moderator band there in the RV. Looking at the x-plane though? No serious idea. It's big and bright. My mind goes down a series of ideas like, embolized IVC filter or artificial tricuspid valve that moved after being poorly sutured. Perhaps a pulmonic valve that was released at the wrong location during interventional procedure? Or like above just some big ugly thrombus I guess, but doesn't have that look to me and my non-expert eyes. I know, these are just wild guesses.

Okay, my turn. Just pictures. Anyone want to take a stab at what the hell is going on here?

looks like an AV canal defect vs atrial septal rupture on the 4C ME view with an RVAD or other cannula in the RV. Other posters pointed out possible embolized valve or misdeployed PV, which would also make sense. There is a tricuspid valve in the correct position.