Let this NP teach you about CHF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's wrong with the NASCET trial?

nothing is wrong with it, just that people have been telling me about 70% stenosis for years now but i don't recall if anyone ever said where it was from. actually they probably did and i just wasn't listening

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked the way he performed the Rinne test.

"Nurse Practitioners are LEADING the charge."

"NPs LEAD THE WAY in diagnosing, ordering and evaluating tests, prescribing, treating, and educating patients."

"I prefer a Nurse Practitioner as my Primary Care Provider."

"Nurse Practitioners: Fifty Years of Patient-Centers, Accessible, HIGH-QUALITY HealthCare."

Meanwhile what they are teaching at U.S. M.D. schools:

All degrees are the same.
You are all just PROVIDERS.
There is nothing special about the MD degree.
Tolerance, Diversity, Respect.

What would the AMA version of this video be?

I imagine a fat bald white man behind a desk vigorously counting dollar bills and licking his chops. I have no idea why that image is in my head.

"Physicians: 3,000 years of ........."
or
"The American Medical Association: 165 years of greed, graft, corruption, and incompetence."

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't think most NPs are pushing for more independence. Most of the ones I have met really enjoy the niche they fill.

It's just a vocal few who don't understand the boundaries of their knowledge base.
You probably haven't talked to a lot of NP...

You probably haven't talked to a lot of NP...
Most of them are just trying to make a living and have regular everyday egos.

Academics/politics is a different story.

Reactions: 1 user
The ones I used to work with criticized doctors all the time. A few of them would even dare to say that they should get equal pay for equal work. In fact, one RN that I took classes with in undegrad told me her DNP degree will be equal to MD because it's a 'doctorate'. She thought I was crazy when I was studying for the mcat because according to her 'I could become a 'doctor' in less than 3 years'. Some of them are not vocal, but don't make the mistake in thinking that they disagree with what these nursing organizations are doing in term of expanding their scopes and blurring the line between NP and physicians...

Most of them are just trying to make a living and have regular everyday egos.

Academics/politics is a different story.

I can't take away from your experience, mine as also been the same in person more or less when I work with them in the clinics (outpatient). They correct people when called "doctor" (preferring to be called Mr/Ms), and they don't wear white coats. With that said, they do ask for consults that on lab interpretations (every ECG) or unusual presentations of usual afflictions (ringworm). They do handle most common things quite well. But, in our inpatient hospitals we're much more likely to see a white coat overload; the only way we can distinguish doctors now is by the huge MD placard they now have to wear — then again, they do give out white coats like hotcakes nowadays. So, within the same city, in the same network I see a variety of outward NP attitudes about their position. Some are cool with being Mr/Ms, some insist on presenting like a doctor; I personally think the latter is unprofessional and only works to confuse patients even more to a system they currently don't understand.

I think what W19 is talking about is more or less true about NPs seeking independence:

USA Today article on NP move for more independence circa 2014
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/18/nurse-practitioner-independence-laws/13470733/

From a pharmacist named Drug Monkey:

Nurse Practitioners: All The Attitude Of A Physician, None Of The Skills.

My friends, this night I will convince you that all Nurse Practitioners should be stripped of their prescribing authority. Actually I won't do it, a Nurse Practitioner who chose to put on public display her incredible ignorance will. All I will do is cut and paste a letter to the editor from the leading trade magazine Drug Topics:

"Generics are not the same"

I am an NP in pediatrics — old school, you could say — practicing for close to 20 years. I have a real problem with generics for my patients, family, and myself. I was taught and have read that certain generics such as those used in warfarin and cardiac therapy should not be used.

Even the slightest difference could prove harmful. An oncologist here in town will only use brand Coumadin for her patients. I witnessed my father's blood pressure soar after only a few days on a generic and quickly return to normal after he took an extra dose and then went back to brand. I find various generic antidepressants have little to no therapeutic effects on the majority of my patients.

Brand drug prices are soaring. No one really talks about this subject, and consumers, our patients, should know or have a choice!

Nurse Practitioner, BM, BSN, MSN, ARN, CPNP​

Dear Nurse Practitioner,

I am a community pharmacist that has practiced for almost 20 years-old school you could say-if you were dumb, because there are about as many people who have practiced longer than me as there are people who haven't been practicing as long. So you could call me old school if you want, but a little mental effort would tell you I am really middle school.

But the fact you have no sense of time doesn't make you stupid. Well, actually it does, but that wouldn't be a problem if that was where the stupidity ended. The real reason I'm posting here Jeanne, is to let the world know all Nurse Practitioners are incompetent. I have a real problem with Nurse Practitioners for my patients, family, and myself. I was taught and have read that some Nurse Practitioners don't know what the word "bioequivalent" means and should not be used.

I know an oncologist who refuses to let his wife or anyone he cares about see a Nurse Practitioner. And one time, I witnessed a patient who was treated by a Nurse Practitioner, then died. Many other people have died after seeing Nurse Practitioners as well. One other time, a person I know being treated by a Nurse Practitioner went code blue at the hospital, only to quickly return to normal after being attended to by a physician. I find various Nurse Practitioners to have little to no therapeutic effects on the majority of my patients.

The cost to see a physician is soaring. No one really talks about this subject, and consumers, our patients, should know or have a choice!

So there you go, I just proved Nurse Practitioners are dangerous and should be avoided. The same way you took down over two decades worth of real world data and scientific evidence regarding generic drugs in 143 words. Or I just pulled a bunch of **** out of my ass, one of the two. Either way, our letters are remarkably similar, yes?

Something tells me you don't see my point.

Drugmonkey, ABU, NCH, OFLET, TERS, TOH, IDE, IMAM, ORON.

Reactions: 4 users
i liked the part where her degree was "BM", as it should be

I didn't think that was really funny. It made it extremely awkward how they both like reacted simultaneously to the same level. Seems incredibly scripted.

The ones I used to work with criticized doctors all the time. A few of them would even dare to say that they should get equal pay for equal work. In fact, one RN that I took classes with in undegrad told me her DNP degree will be equal to MD because it's a 'doctorate'. She thought I was crazy when I was studying for the mcat because according to her 'I could become a 'doctor' in less than 3 years'. Some of them are not vocal, but don't make the mistake in thinking that they disagree with what these nursing organizations are doing in term of expanding their scopes and blurring the line between NP and physicians...

I do love hearing that I'm not a real doctor and don't deserve my "dr" title from nurses. Especially when it's in social situations. ESPECIALLY when they're the kids of my parents friends who I know for a fact bombed the MCAT/DAT/whatever and ended up in nursing school. That's when they get a blank stare and me wandering away looking for a drink or foods.

Reactions: 2 users
I do love hearing that I'm not a real doctor and don't deserve my "dr" title from nurses. Especially when it's in social situations. ESPECIALLY when they're the kids of my parents friends who I know for a fact bombed the MCAT/DAT/whatever and ended up in nursing school. That's when they get a blank stare and me wandering away looking for a drink or foods.
While you're at the bar, can you pick me up a single malt, neat.

One of my attendings referred to ophthalmologists as "eye dentists" the other day.

I'm not sure whether that was supposed to be insulting to ophthalmologists, dentists, or both. Probably both.

Still. You guys yank da teef for bad deep space neck infections. And get our H&N patients ready for radiation. Even if my attending doesn't think so...

thnx

While you're at the bar, can you pick me up a single malt, neat.

Anything for you etherman :D

One of my attendings referred to ophthalmologists as "eye dentists" the other day.

I'm not sure whether that was supposed to be insulting to ophthalmologists, dentists, or both. Probably both.

Still. You guys yank da teef for bad deep space neck infections. And get our H&N patients ready for radiation. Even if my attending doesn't think so...

thnx

:D

ripping out teeth is pretty satisfying.

thnx

I have a friend going into ophtho who jokingly calls it eye dentistry. But maybe it's one of those things that's okay for an ophtho to say but not okay for others to say :p

kramer.jpg

Reactions: 4 users