LECOM Seton Hill - Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Helen Wheels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the official thread for members of the Class of 2015 at LECOM Seton Hill.

Members don't see this ad.

Ballin!! Let the games begin.

I'll probably have a lot of questions in the coming months so I hope some OMSI and OMSII's can help out..

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the acceptance letter in the mail this evening!!! Whoo hoo! I am waiting to hear back from the Navy as I applied for HPSP-- Any other Navy HPSP-ers?? :biglove:

Just got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday! Already looking for places around Greensburg to live. Anyone with suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated!

Hi..did you interview on Feb 4th? I did & got my acceptance too :-D
looking for a place to live in greensburg, maybe buy a house but i'd like to know the feasibility if anyone can offer advice. My fiance and I will both be attending in the fall.
Can't wait!!

I would recommend either the Lofts, which are a bit expensive but come fully furnished and with all utilities included (so helpful if youre coming from far away or just dont want to deal with all the move in hassle)- also theyre like 1/2 mile from school.

A lot of students live in Toll House, apts a couple of miles away but a little cheaper, and they seem to like it.

Your best bet would be to come here and check out a few places and get a feel for the area before you sign anything!

I would recommend either the Lofts, which are a bit expensive but come fully furnished and with all utilities included (so helpful if youre coming from far away or just dont want to deal with all the move in hassle)- also theyre like 1/2 mile from school.

A lot of students live in Toll House, apts a couple of miles away but a little cheaper, and they seem to like it.

Your best bet would be to come here and check out a few places and get a feel for the area before you sign anything!

I'm coming down to the area soon to look at places. I think Toll was one of the places on my list. I was also looking at places in Monroeville.

Does anyone know the start date of orientation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering if I have the right idea here...we have to figure out how to pay for 3k worth of books, and moving to greensburg, before getting our loan money?! How do people manage this?

Just wondering if I have the right idea here...we have to figure out how to pay for 3k worth of books, and moving to greensburg, before getting our loan money?! How do people manage this?

Yeah, it isn't quite convenient the way loans are disbursed. If you don't have money saved up I guess you borrow it from parents or a credit card.

Hey Guys,
Just got the acceptance about a week ago (woohoo!) and I'll be attending this fall. So my wife is a registered dietitian with a great resume (lots of inpatient and outpatient experience) and we're looking for jobs for her (since a med student isn't exactly a sugar daddy!). We've heard Pittsburgh has a massive healthcare job market but are getting pretty stumped, at least on the internet. Anyone know of some places (maybe specific hospitals,etc) to look besides the standard monster/careerbuilder/etc?

Thanks in advance and see you all in a couple months!

Hey Guys,
Just got the acceptance about a week ago (woohoo!) and I'll be attending this fall. So my wife is a registered dietitian with a great resume (lots of inpatient and outpatient experience) and we're looking for jobs for her (since a med student isn't exactly a sugar daddy!). We've heard Pittsburgh has a massive healthcare job market but are getting pretty stumped, at least on the internet. Anyone know of some places (maybe specific hospitals,etc) to look besides the standard monster/careerbuilder/etc?

Thanks in advance and see you all in a couple months!

The 2 big health systems are UPMC (upmc.com) and West Penn Allegheny Health System (wpahs.com). They have facilities all over the Pittsburgh area and outside Pittsburgh too. In Greensburg there is Excela Health (excelahealth.org) which has Westmoreland hospital close to our campus. This should hopefully give you a start.

Congratulations on your acceptance and good luck with the job search.

Well it looks like I'll be heading there as well in a few months! Seems scarily fast.

The 2 big health systems are UPMC (upmc.com) and West Penn Allegheny Health System (wpahs.com). They have facilities all over the Pittsburgh area and outside Pittsburgh too. In Greensburg there is Excela Health (excelahealth.org) which has Westmoreland hospital close to our campus. This should hopefully give you a start.

Congratulations on your acceptance and good luck with the job search.

Sorry for the late reply. Work has been insane lately. Thanks for the info, we're having some better luck with the actual local websites as opposed to the bigger ones.

See you all in July!

Hey everyone,

I was recently accepted into the class of 2015 and was wondering if anyone had been to Greensburg and/or could tell me anything about the town. At least one person has mentioned it has plenty of small businesses and more of a college town feel than Erie. Thanks for any info and I look forward to meeting you all in July.

I know it's crazy. Can't wait to tell this job and my boss where to shove it! Anyone hear anything aside from the letter's "you're accepted and we'll be in touch"?

I can't wait to quit my job of ten years! Woot!

Yes, I received an email with lots of forms to complete and return and other instructions. Got this back in January but was accepted way back in last summer.

Located 1.5 blocks from hospital. Full-time students or residents only. $600 per bedroom. Semi-furnished 2BR apt. with 1 bath, full kitchen, living room & 2 study rooms. Recently refurbished with new carpet, paint and new kitchen. Common entrance with 2 off-site parking spaces. No on-site storage available.

I'm in for Seton Hill as well. What an unbelievable feeling. As was posted above, much excitement quickly dampened with terror!

How sweeeet it is.

I'm in for Seton Hill as well. What an unbelievable feeling. As was posted above, much excitement quickly dampened with terror!

How sweeeet it is.
Congrats! Utah? Did you interview Feb 4th? There was a man from Utah in my interview session that day.

P.S. I recommend everyone join the facebook page LECOM Seton Hill, there's more activity going on over there.

I did not interview on Feb 4th, I interviewed prior to that. I am getting pretty excited, although a cross-the-country move isn't sounding fun at all.

I did not interview on Feb 4th, I interviewed prior to that. I am getting pretty excited, although a cross-the-country move isn't sounding fun at all.

phew...mine is only 6 hrs...got my truck rented

What ever you do make multiple MULTIPLE copies of all of your medical forms, generic forms, background check etc. B/c the person you are sending them to WILL LOSE THEM. Not might, this person will lose at least something of yours. others this person will lose this 4-5 times in a row, denying you ever turned them in. Have said person sign something when you turn them in if in person or certified mail.

I just got my acceptance letter in the mail today! I'm so excited!!! :soexcited:

Could anyone be so kind as to answer some of my questions?!

I'm coming form California and would like to know if a car is recommended. I know in California it is :p .. If it is highly recommended I'm going to do a cross country drive!

Also, I'm looking for a possible roommate. I think my first year experience would go smoother if I was rooming with someone else who was going through the same thing! Any 1st years interested?

Thanks!

I have looked at about every real estate rental agency I can find on the internet. I can't really find anything in the Greensburg,PA area.

What sources are you guys using to find an apartment? I am married with three children so a studio isn't going to cut it.

I have looked at about every real estate rental agency I can find on the internet. I can't really find anything in the Greensburg,PA area.

What sources are you guys using to find an apartment? I am married with three children so a studio isn't going to cut it.

I already live in the area so can't say much about apartment hunting but the school sent me this site:

www.myGreensburgapartment.com

You will need a car and you can find listings through craigslist or the greensburg newspaper.

I was wondering if anybody has received financial aid award letters yet... I was told by the office they would "tentatively" address them mid-April. It makes me nervous not having things lined up and ready to go...

I was wondering if anybody has received financial aid award letters yet... I was told by the office they would "tentatively" address them mid-April. It makes me nervous not having things lined up and ready to go...
I haven't nor has one other person who I know who is going...
just make sure you submitted fafsa, did the financial counseling part, and i'm not sure if you have to but i signed the MPN as well.

I haven't nor has one other person who I know who is going...
just make sure you submitted fafsa, did the financial counseling part, and i'm not sure if you have to but i signed the MPN as well.

-Thanks for the update!

How do you do the financial counseling part?

I remember the exhilaration I felt when i got my acceptance and the first week on campus...good luck to all of you...just remember if you can make it through the first 12 weeks of medical school you can make it through the next four years!

How do you do the financial counseling part?

When you log in at studentloans.gov there is a list of options:

home_green_bullet.gif
View My Loan Documents
home_green_bullet.gif
Entrance Counseling
home_green_bullet.gif
Sign Master Promissory Note
home_green_bullet.gif
Complete PLUS Request Process
home_green_bullet.gif
Endorse PLUS Loan

The Entrance Counseling (or some form of it depending on the school) is required as part of the PLUS loans application-- as far as I am aware of.

So I've been hearing that the so-called "required" book list is a bit shady. Some students on the facebook page have been stating that some of the books are seldom used. Could someone give me a breakdown of the books. Which ones should I stay away from? Given, they all look important to me :confused:

So I've been hearing that the so-called "required" book list is a bit shady. Some students on the facebook page have been stating that some of the books are seldom used. Could someone give me a breakdown of the books. Which ones should I stay away from? Given, they all look important to me :confused:
I bought anatomy, embryo, and histo before school started, and I never really used the histo book. I ended up buying books other that the required texts (e.g. instead of Phys, I bought the little pocket outline version and the question book; I bought Cecil's but never used it; I never bought Genetics or Behavioral Science, and never needed them). I recommend getting Anatomy and Pathology (because it looks the coolest and makes you feel like a real med student, and because it's a good book) and maybe Embryo or Histo. All the rest can wait. The books are cheaper off the internet than from the school bookstore anyway...

Congratulations on getting into medical school, everyone!