LECOM Master of Medical Science 2018-2019 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do you guys know if this program offers federal loans

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take to get the application sent? Filled out the inquiry form more than 1 week ago and then called the school- they said they’d email it right away, but no response. Oh, well, I guess I’ll call tomorrow.

How long does it take to get the application sent? Filled out the inquiry form more than 1 week ago and then called the school- they said they’d email it right away, but no response. Oh, well, I guess I’ll call tomorrow.

I think its pretty quick I got my decision within a week after they had everything (scores, LOR and transcripts, etc). I'd recommend mailing/forwarding transcript and scores to speed everything up.

Hey guys! I’m a current masters student at LECOM Bradenton. Feel free to ask me any questions about the program.

Hey guys! I’m a current masters student at LECOM Bradenton. Feel free to ask me any questions about the program.
I’m looking to apply once I get the application link sent to me.

1. How big is the class?
2. How do most students fare (from the Erie postbacc posts it seems like a lot of students have a real tough time with pharmacology)?
3. Any perceived differences between this program and the postbacc?
4. Do most of the Bradenton students who enroll in LECOM for medicine stay there or go to the other campuses?

I’m looking to apply once I get the application link sent to me.

1. How big is the class?
2. How do most students fare (from the Erie postbacc posts it seems like a lot of students have a real tough time with pharmacology)?
3. Any perceived differences between this program and the postbacc?
4. Do most of the Bradenton students who enroll in LECOM for medicine stay there or go to the other campuses?

1. We started of with 75 but now we have 63.

2. The average on most of our exams are around an 80%. A majority of the med track students were able to obtain a 3.0 GPA or higher and get an interview.

3. I don’t know too much about the postbacc program. All I know is that in the Erie campus you receive a certificate while in the Bradenton campus you receive an actual masters degree.

4. The acceptances are only for the medical program in the Bradenton campus.

1. What is the class schedule like?
2. Do you plan to attend their medical school?
3. It seems somewhat rigid/strict (dress code-shirt and tie, no food or drinks on campus, etc). How would you describe it?

1. What is the class schedule like?
2. Do you plan to attend their medical school?
3. It seems somewhat rigid/strict (dress code-shirt and tie, no food or drinks on campus, etc). How would you describe it?

1. Summer and Fall semester our classes were in the morning around 8-9am. For the spring semester we have a mix of Afternoon and morning classes.

2. Yes I do plan on attending.

3. The dress code for guys is pretty strict as we are required to have a tie but it is pretty lax for girls. As for food, you can bring it to campus but can only eat it in the cafeteria.

Found out I was accepted into this program as well as the post bacc in Erie. Are both programs the same? Any idea which one is better?
Congrats, did you or anyone use the same essay for both programs?

Which of the textbooks did you actually find yourself using that are worth investing in the hard copy of instead of using a pdf?
And do you know of anyone that hasn't taken those classes like in undergrad that is struggling/do you have any suggestions if I never took anatomy/phys prior?

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a similar sub 3 GPA, a slightly higher ACT, and no MCAT. I was accepted last year and was able to get into the DO program this year. So its definitely possible, but it may be more competitive this year. I believe they doubled in apps for the program between the first and second years classes.

Did you end up retaking the MCAT in order to get into the DO program? I applied and was accepted into the MMS program with my AIS score and I am trying to decide whether or not I should retake the MCAT to get my score up. I emailed and was told if I have a 3.4-4.0 GPA at the end of the program I should be okay, but if my end GPA is a 3.0-3.3 then a higher MCAT would be helpful. Is it pretty easy to maintain at least a 3.4 GPA or would you think retaking the MCAT would be the best option?

Reactions: 1 user
is there a booklist available???!!
Yes there is a booklist available. If I’m not mistaken when I was accepted the book list came with the letters. If not I’ll be glad to give you guys the books we use.

Which of the textbooks did you actually find yourself using that are worth investing in the hard copy of instead of using a pdf?
And do you know of anyone that hasn't taken those classes like in undergrad that is struggling/do you have any suggestions if I never took anatomy/phys prior?

Up until the spring semester the only classes I found myself using the textbook for were:
1. Biochemistry
2. Molecular cell biology
3. Health Disparities
4. Behavioral medicine
5. Medical genetics

Though for PBL all the hard copy texts are required.

I never took an human anatomy course (took comparative vertebrae anatomy) but I have an A so far in anatomy. My advice would be to use supplemental resources such as Grays anatomy or even YouTube videos to help you get a generalized idea of the concepts.

What are some apartment complexes near by campus? All I found online was Luxe Lakewood Ranch and Creekside Resort. Are there any others that are less than a 10 minute commute by driving?

does anybody have old syllabuses and old lecture slides i can look at

Has anyone here considered applying to Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate program as well? I just submitted my apps for that but I’m thinking maybe I should apply to this one as well if it isn’t too late
I applied and got in to the postbacc but not the MMS program. Still scratching my head but oh well, at least I get a summer vacation.

Hello, if everything is suppose to be in by May 1st that means the last MCAT score that they will accept are the ones from January/March ?

If u havent taken Mcat can u submit sat scores if so what is the year cutoff or does it not matter

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you know what the stats are for the med students who get the interview?

If you have a 3.0 or greater in the master’s program you will get an interview.
3.0 - 3.3: Conditional Waitlist
3.4 -4.0: Conditional Acceptance

I applied two days ago and I feel so anxious!! I have no idea whether I'm getting in or not and I really want to get into this program.
Stats:
CGPA: 3.186
SGPA:2.87
MCAT: 502
and decent EC's. Please let me know if you've applied with similar stats and whether you got in or not. Thank you!!

I applied two days ago and I feel so anxious!! I have no idea whether I'm getting in or not and I really want to get into this program.
Stats:
and decent EC's. Please let me know if you've applied with similar stats and whether you got in or not. Thank you!!
I had lesser stats than you and was accepted. I think the only downside is the timeline of your application.

I had lesser stats than you and was accepted. I think the only downside is the timeline of your application.
If you don’t mind me asking what were your stats. Also when did you apply and how soon did you hear back?

Stats:

Does anyone know how many spots are left in the program?? Also waiting to hear back! Best of luck to everyone!

Does anyone know how many spots are left in the program?? Also waiting to hear back! Best of luck to everyone!
I haven’t heard anything about the spots still available. Also when did you apply and does your portal say a decision has been made? I’m just trying to figure out when I’ll know. Hopefully we both get in!!

I haven’t heard anything about the spots still available. Also when did you apply and does your portal say a decision has been made? I’m just trying to figure out when I’ll know. Hopefully we both get in!!

No decision has been made yet, I was officially complete last Thursday. 4/12. I stalked last years forums and it appears some people heard back around 4/25 ish give or take. So probably in two weeks?? I'm super anxious! Good luck!!

No decision has been made yet, I was officially complete last Thursday. 4/12. I stalked last years forums and it appears some people heard back around 4/25 ish give or take. So probably in two weeks?? I'm super anxious! Good luck!!
Same my application was complete on the 13. I had called and Hal Soloman said it will most likely take 2 weeks.

Same my application was complete on the 13. I had called and Hal Soloman said it will most likely take 2 weeks.
Today marks 3 weeks since my application was marked complete. Hopefully I hear back this week.

Today marks 3 weeks since my application was marked complete. Hopefully I hear back this week.
3 weeks?? Well he did say they were backed up because of so many applications, maybe that's why?

3 weeks?? Well he did say they were backed up because of so many applications, maybe that's why?
Yeah he said they have had many applications come in and that it will take some time for the applications to be reviewed. :/

So quick question, I'm trying to finish up my matriculation packet and mail it in. The drug test is through Verified Credentials, how do you do it? Are you supposed to arrange it through your doctor and submit the results to LECOM through this company, or does this company have clinics that you go to, to take the test. Also, why do they also test for alcohol? Thanks!

So quick question, I'm trying to finish up my matriculation packet and mail it in. The drug test is through Verified Credentials, how do you do it? Are you supposed to arrange it through your doctor and submit the results to LECOM through this company, or does this company have clinics that you go to, to take the test. Also, why do they also test for alcohol? Thanks!
I just completed this step and my drug test is tomorrow. All you have to do is go to the site, make an account, answer the questions, pay the fee and submit. The background check will occur for you. The drug test stuff will be emailed to you within 2 days (mine happened same day). Then you make an appointment online with LabCorp and go do your drug test. Not sure why they test for alcohol, seemed weird to me too. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would show up to a drug test drunk, but I've been surprised once or twice in my life.

For admitted students, is there a tuition deposit you had to give to save your spot? What was the amount?

Do you know if any classes transfer over to the DO program? Or will we have to retake all the classes again

Classes don't transfer from the masters program to the DO program. The DO program is primarily PBL based while the Masters program is lecture based. Though alot of the information you will learn in the Masters program will be seen again in medical school since we use the same books as they do.

For admitted students, is there a tuition deposit you had to give to save your spot? What was the amount?

Theres a $100 matriculation fee and then a $400 deposit that goes towards tuition.

Does anyone know how to send MCAT scores? Do we mail them or email the verification? I've called and emailed to ask about this but can't get a response so someone please help!!

Hey guys,

How do you apply? I logged into my LECOM portal, and clicked on "MS in Biomedical Science Inquiry." Is this the correct thing to click? Afterwards, it says "Applications for the 2016-2017 Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences Program are now being accepted." So did I click on the wrong thing since it says 2016-2017?
Click on the Master of Medical Science Inquiry. By Monday/Tuesday they will have hopefully sent you a link to the application then you will apply through there.

Does anyone know how to send MCAT scores? Do we mail them or email the verification? I've called and emailed to ask about this but can't get a response so someone please help!!
You can actually do this through AMCAS
For one of the schools I applied to I went on AMCAS clicked on "print score report" and I screen-shotted that page, b/c that page has the verification code. If LECOM doesn't accept that then you can just print out and send to them I think!

Also if you applied through AACOMAS they can just get all the info from there: transcripts, letters, MCAT scores.

Hey, I spoke with Hal this week because I had some trouble with my LOR's. He said he's behind on verifying apps! Stay Hopeful Guys!

Hey, I spoke with Hal this week because I had some trouble with my LOR's. He said he's behind on verifying apps! Stay Hopeful Guys!
Do you mean on having your file complete or hearing back on an admission decision? I'm wondering if anyone has been accepted/ denied recently, not if the file was marked complete !!