**LECOM-Erie WARNING!!**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did I mention the fact they take attendance!

you did talk about attendance just sayin'

and owle, first year was by alphabet which was odd but whatever... school policy is school policy but people still got the chance to switch seats with people who didn't like their current one. this year, we got to pick our own so you get to sit next to friends and pick where you think you can hear the best.

odd? yeah, but for two years its not bad... i know girls who worry more about which color to paint their finger nails before bed than where they have to sit in class

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The following is verbatim from our handbook on e-professionalism. You decide.

Students are personally responsible for the content they publish on blogs, wikis or any other form of user-generated media. Be mindful that what you publish will be public for a long time – protect your privacy.
Identify yourself – name and, when relevant, role at LECOM – when you discuss LECOM-related matters. And write in the first person. You must make it clear that you are speaking for yourself and not on behalf of LECOM.
If you publish content to any website outside of LECOM and it has something to do with work you do or subjects associated with LECOM, use a disclaimer such as this: “The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent LECOM’s positions, strategies or opinions.”
Respect copyright, fair use, financial disclosure, and privacy rights laws.
Don’t provide LECOM’s or another student’s confidential or other proprietary information. Ask permission to publish or report on conversations that are meant to be private or internal to LECOM.
Don’t cite or reference LECOM workers, faculty, students or alumni without their approval. When you do make a reference, where possible link back to the source.

Respect your audience. Don’t use ethnic slurs, personal insults, obscenity, or engage in any conduct that would not be acceptable to LECOM. You should also show proper consideration for others’ privacy and for topics that may be considered objectionable or inflammatory – such as politics and religion.
Find out who else is blogging or publishing on the topic, and cite them.
Be aware of your association with LECOM in online social networks. If you identify yourself as a LECOM student, ensure your profile and related content is consistent with how you wish to present yourself with others.
Get your facts right, be the first to correct your mistakes, and don’t alter previous posts without indicating that you have done so.
Try to add value. Provide worthwhile information and perspective. LECOM’s brand is best represented by its people and what you publish may reflect on LECOM.
Do not use LECOM’s logo or seal.
Obey the rules of the social media on which you write.

you did talk about attendance just sayin'

and owle, first year was by alphabet which was odd but whatever... school policy is school policy but people still got the chance to switch seats with people who didn't like their current one. this year, we got to pick our own so you get to sit next to friends and pick where you think you can hear the best.

odd? yeah, but for two years its not bad... i know girls who worry more about which color to paint their finger nails before bed than where they have to sit in class

I'm impressed, sir. Most people don't get that the e is part of the name. Usually people "say" owl. How did you know? Anyway good job. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it is so bad to post negative information about a school. This forum is not for the benefit of my school, LECOM, or any other school. It is for pre-pharms. Information, good or bad, is helpful to people who may be deciding about whether or not to attend a school. Don't like a dress code? Maybe LECOM isn't the school for you. Don't like being accused of being unprofessional when one of your classmates posts something on the Internet? If that is a deal breaker for you, then maybe another school would be better. It doesn't really matter if the rest of the LECOM students didn't care that much about the dean's remarks because this particular forum is not for pharmacy students and it certainly isn't to gloss over the negatives of a school because people are worried about the school's reputation. That doesn't help the pre-pharms. If you are going to try to shout someone down because they are putting your school in an unfavorable light then you aren't really understanding the point of this forum. It is to provide information that pre-pharms may find useful. Accusing people who are providing information of being immature or unprofessional doesn't really achieve that goal.

fam_midol_max_strength_caple-5300.jpg

Problem solved

fam_midol_max_strength_caple-5300.jpg

Problem solved

And whatever do you mean by that picture? If I had to guess, I'd say that this is an expression of sexism but perhaps there is a more innocent explanation. I'm hard pressed to think of it though it could be that I just lack imagination. I am curious if you are able to explain how a product designed for only women is relevant to this thread without sounding like a chauvinist. Up for a good challenge?

And whatever do you mean by that picture? If I had to guess, I'd say that this is an expression of sexism but perhaps there is a more innocent explanation. I'm hard pressed to think of it though it could be that I just lack imagination. I am curious if you are able to explain how a product designed for only women is relevant to this thread without sounding like a chauvinist. Up for a good challenge?

Joke

WHOOOSH

diastole's head

:laugh:

Yeah but you didn't explain the joke. That isn't rising to the challenge at all. C'mon, I was expecting more from you.

How about I'm tired, it's late and I thought I'd inject a small bit of humor into a rather humorless thread.

Not everything has to be so serious all of the time.

How about I'm tired, it's late and I thought I'd inject a small bit of humor into a rather humorless thread.

Not everything has to be so serious all of the time.

Sleep = good. I'm studying arrhythmias or I would go to sleep. I hate all those anti-arrhythmic drugs. Heart failure is a way cooler condition. That got bumped to next week unfortunately.

Sleep = good. I'm studying arrhythmias or I would go to sleep. I hate all those anti-arrhythmic drugs. Heart failure is a way cooler condition. That got bumped to next week unfortunately.

I'm jealous, I'm stuck doing a rehash of undergrad classes. Bores the bejesus out of me.

I'm jealous, I'm stuck doing a rehash of undergrad classes. Bores the bejesus out of me.

Therapeutics is pretty cool. I don't know why they say this year is so hard. There is a lot of info but it is more interesting info. I guess people get all caught up in the exams and lose sight of the coolness of it all.

How do you people not know how to sneak food into lecture halls? We're not allowed to eat or drink anything other than H20 in the lecture halls, however I managed to sneak food in almost every day and never get caught.

Infectious Disease is the coolest subject of therapeutics. It's like you vs pathogens in a war, and the class teaches you all the tactics and strategies. Speaking of tactics and strategies, I'm off to go play some Starcraft 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Therapeutics is pretty cool. I don't know why they say this year is so hard. There is a lot of info but it is more interesting info. I guess people get all caught up in the exams and lose sight of the coolness of it all.

I personally can't wait for classes like that. But I'm an uber nerd and sop up that kind of info lol

Infectious Disease is the coolest subject of therapeutics. It's like you vs pathogens in a war, and the class teaches you all the tactics and strategies. Speaking of tactics and strategies, I'm off to go play some Starcraft 2.

I've come to the conclusion that pharmacy students like ID so much because it is the easiest thing to grasp conceptually.

I'ma fan of metabolism.

I don't think it is so bad to post negative information about a school. This forum is not for the benefit of my school, LECOM, or any other school. It is for pre-pharms. Information, good or bad, is helpful to people who may be deciding about whether or not to attend a school. Don't like a dress code? Maybe LECOM isn't the school for you. Don't like being accused of being unprofessional when one of your classmates posts something on the Internet? If that is a deal breaker for you, then maybe another school would be better. It doesn't really matter if the rest of the LECOM students didn't care that much about the dean's remarks because this particular forum is not for pharmacy students and it certainly isn't to gloss over the negatives of a school because people are worried about the school's reputation. That doesn't help the pre-pharms. If you are going to try to shout someone down because they are putting your school in an unfavorable light then you aren't really understanding the point of this forum. It is to provide information that pre-pharms may find useful. Accusing people who are providing information of being immature or unprofessional doesn't really achieve that goal.
:clap::bow::claps::nod: THAT is just it. If I want something from the school, I will go to the school. This is to inform the prospective students about what you may have to deal with when desiding on LECOM. Is ALL faculty bad? NO!! I am not Dr. Bell. (Dr. Kutzer ROCKS!!)

I think I may be finished. Thank you ALL.

I've come to the conclusion that pharmacy students like ID so much because it is the easiest thing to grasp conceptually.

I'ma fan of metabolism.

Really? I know a lot who hate ID because they think there are too many antibiotics, bacteria, viruses, etc out there.

Personally, I can't stand oncology and the CNS drugs such as the antipsychotics, antiseizure, parkinson's, alzheimers, etc.

We get ID next semester alongside pharmacogenetics. Personally, I can't wait for the fun. Unlike Sparda, I am intrigued by the CNS and am somewhat familiar with the antipsychotics, antidepressants, etc etc from my psych program. I totally look forward to it. It beats this biochem and immunology stuff. Although I must admit that immunology is interesting- it is just difficult to find the time to study all the details. We are just getting to autoimmune disorders so that should be fun.

How do you people not know how to sneak food into lecture halls? We're not allowed to eat or drink anything other than H20 in the lecture halls, however I managed to sneak food in almost every day and never get caught.

I just ate a BBQ brisket plate with a Diet Dr. Pepper in my lecture hall. Suck it! :laugh:

I'm drinking a non-fat latte in my lab. Suck that! :smuggrin:

Drinking in lab eh... reminds me of undergrad gen chem.

*Student is about to take a swig out of a bottle of water in lab*
Professor: "How do you know I didn't change out your water for sodium hydroxide when you were on the other side of the room?

*Student lowers her water bottle slowly and never touches it again*

Ah, so good.

On topic: Non-fat latte? Might as well just drink unbrewed coffee or something, yuck. At least go 1/2&1/2.

The following is verbatim from our handbook on e-professionalism. You decide.

Students are personally responsible for the content they publish on blogs, wikis or any other form of user-generated media. Be mindful that what you publish will be public for a long time – protect your privacy.
Identify yourself – name and, when relevant, role at LECOM – when you discuss LECOM-related matters. And write in the first person. You must make it clear that you are speaking for yourself and not on behalf of LECOM.
If you publish content to any website outside of LECOM and it has something to do with work you do or subjects associated with LECOM, use a disclaimer such as this: “The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent LECOM’s positions, strategies or opinions.”
Respect copyright, fair use, financial disclosure, and privacy rights laws.
Don’t provide LECOM’s or another student’s confidential or other proprietary information. Ask permission to publish or report on conversations that are meant to be private or internal to LECOM.
Don’t cite or reference LECOM workers, faculty, students or alumni without their approval. When you do make a reference, where possible link back to the source.

Respect your audience. Don’t use ethnic slurs, personal insults, obscenity, or engage in any conduct that would not be acceptable to LECOM. You should also show proper consideration for others’ privacy and for topics that may be considered objectionable or inflammatory – such as politics and religion.
Find out who else is blogging or publishing on the topic, and cite them.
Be aware of your association with LECOM in online social networks. If you identify yourself as a LECOM student, ensure your profile and related content is consistent with how you wish to present yourself with others.
Get your facts right, be the first to correct your mistakes, and don’t alter previous posts without indicating that you have done so.
Try to add value. Provide worthwhile information and perspective. LECOM’s brand is best represented by its people and what you publish may reflect on LECOM.
Do not use LECOM’s logo or seal.
Obey the rules of the social media on which you write.

The postings this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent LECOM’s positions, strategies or opinions.
now i'm legal.

Professor: "How do you know I didn't change out your water for sodium hydroxide when you were on the other side of the room?

Ah, so good.

On topic: Non-fat latte? Might as well just drink unbrewed coffee or something, yuck. At least go 1/2&1/2.

....coming from somebody who thinks Starbucks coffee is high quality :rolleyes:

That's got nothing to do with what kind of dairy is good, sheesh!

Sure it does... it depends on how good the coffee is because it is the fat content in the milk that adds to the flavor. If the coffee sucks and you get non-fat, you might as well drink Folgers instant mix. But, you can drink good coffee and get away with non-fat and it still tastes good. Personally, I would get vitamin D milk in all my coffee but I don't want to get a muffin top.

Easy. Water bottle is still there and hasn't corroded. Or do a pH test. Or take some of the stuff from your bottle, drop it into some hydrochloric acid, and see what happens.

Does anyone know if LECOM has high attrition rates? I heard alot of negatory-ness about strict rules and being called unprofessional, but do students get kicked out like crazy like I read about on the Worchest-Boston school. That thread was scary.

not sure about other classes before me, but for mine I have not seen very many students leave or kicked out. my class (2012) has remained close to what we started with. I know that one student switched to med school or is goin to or something like that.
that help?

Is there a local Walmart near by!? I can't imagine not being close to one if I need to furnish an apartment. And If it's a supercenter then I'm SOLD. That would be so nice. I just love how their quality has improved and the low prices are yay! It could be a deal breaker.

the super Wal-mart is scheduled to open up some time this year, or begining of next. There is an issue with roads and stuff, the city is making sure it is fixed before they open. Erie also has a target, Best-buy, Marshals, and a number of other big stores. The mall is ok.
Erie is GREAT in the summer. presque isle is awesome.
winters.....not so fun. Unless you like ice fishing.

I'm always amazed how we have more stuff in Morgantown than they do up in Erie...with half of the population. Hell, we have *two* super walmarts...:laugh:

Cleveland is right down the road, don't forget...and they got an Ikea. Just sayin'.

I'm always amazed how we have more stuff in Morgantown than they do up in Erie...with half of the population. Hell, we have *two* super walmarts...:laugh:

Run-down industries and shady bars don't count as "stuff"? Because if it does, then boy have they got your number.

Erie is a joke of a city. I spent way too much time being involved with a sorority trick from there. They have nothing of their own to brag about (okay, highest poverty rate in PA, whippy-dip) except for when they act like a suburb of Pittsburgh. Oh, how they love their Steelers and their Penguins in Erie.

Given how much negativity I hear about LECOM (some of which I know firsthand is legitimate from having visited and interviewed there), I'm relieved that I opted to go elsewhere. It can't be that the program is fine and they just accept a lot of disgruntled students. And even if that is the case, that still reflects poorly on the school because that means that their admissions committee is doing a poor job.

Run-down industries and shady bars don't count as "stuff"? Because if it does, then boy have they got your number.

Erie is a joke of a city. I spent way too much time being involved with a sorority trick from there. They have nothing of their own to brag about (okay, highest poverty rate in PA, whippy-dip) except for when they act like a suburb of Pittsburgh. Oh, how they love their Steelers and their Penguins in Erie.

Given how much negativity I hear about LECOM (some of which I know firsthand is legitimate from having visited and interviewed there), I'm relieved that I opted to go elsewhere. It can't be that the program is fine and they just accept a lot of disgruntled students. And even if that is the case, that still reflects poorly on the school because that means that their admissions committee is doing a poor job.

I'm happy that my uncle got moved from the VA in Erie, PA to the VA in Wilkes-Barre, PA. It was boring as **** in Erie and the drive to their house took like ****ing 9 hours.

Cleveland is right down the road, don't forget...and they got an Ikea. Just sayin'.

No way. Las Vegas doesn't even have an Ikea. I don't understand how that is possible with all the crazy construction that went on before the housing crash. I wanted to get some Swedish meatballs and was pretty surprised when I realized that I'd have to drive to Arizona to buy some.

At LECOM do you have any vacation time in the 3 year pharmacy program. I mean can you ever go home or as soon as finals are over class starts again in a few days. Does anyone go home for holidays?

Do students have jobs too?

You get about one week in between terms. In the summer of your first year you complete two introductory rotations (IPPE) that are 6 weeks each. Again its about a week gap between those as well. when they are finished you get a full month before school starts up again.

I'm finishing up my first term of my second year. after finals I get one week. the second term is broken in half by the christmas break. Same as first year. about two weeks Dec. 18th to Jan. 3rd.

The curriculum is not really "hard". It's just really fast, and exams come QUICK.

What do people do with those random weeks off? Non stop party or trips home/travel? Do people study or do anything school related?

You get about one week in between terms. In the summer of your first year you complete two introductory rotations (IPPE) that are 6 weeks each. Again its about a week gap between those as well. when they are finished you get a full month before school starts up again.

I'm finishing up my first term of my second year. after finals I get one week. the second term is broken in half by the christmas break. Same as first year. about two weeks Dec. 18th to Jan. 3rd.

The curriculum is not really "hard". It's just really fast, and exams come QUICK.

Dang, you're stuck doing IPPE's during the summer? that sucks.

Dang, you're stuck doing IPPE's during the summer? that sucks.
how else would you make it a three year program? for our second year we have classes all the way through July. The 29th is our last day of class.
As for what PPL do on their time off is what they do. It's their time off. they don't give us "extra" stuff to study over that time.

how else would you make it a three year program? for our second year we have classes all the way through July. The 29th is our last day of class.
As for what PPL do on their time off is what they do. It's their time off. they don't give us "extra" stuff to study over that time.

oh i didn't know it was a 3 year program, makes sense now.

The faculty and staff at LECOM bradenton do nothing but bust their ***** to make the students here comfortable. I wish dislikeLECOM and unhappyatLECOM would've considered that these posts not only hurt every student at Erie but every student at Bradenton as well. My SDN inbox has been blowing up with questions from prepharmers about LECOM's tyrannical administration, unfair practices, and other ridiculous ideas they've gotten from this forum. I'm tired of telling all of them that its not true at Bradenton. We have the same administration, so I don't even know how it can be so bad at Erie. You have a class representative for a reason, you should've communicated your complaints through him/her and the school would've listened. You've only succeeded in embarrassing all of us.

Prepharmers have gathered information from these posts and asked me questions about our quality of faculty, education, rotation sites, and student rights.
We have excellent faculty, an incredibly distinguished assistant dean and the nicest staff you'll ever find. Ask any Bradenton student or prepharmer applying to bradenton. Our assistant dean is famous. He probably wrote the pharmacokinetics book you'll end up using, and I guarantee he will know your faculty.

Our education is top notch. Only experts in the field do the lecturing. We have every learning resource available to us. If you need to see the cadavers to help grasp gross anatomy, the medical school anatomy professor will take you personally to the lab, dissect the organ in front of you and help you work through your atlas.

We dominate the rotations sites and we have many. Preceptors at all the major hospitals in the area hold LECOM students in the highest regard. Our APPE students have done nothing but impress with their knowledge and professionalism.

Nobody is telling us that we can't eat or drink. We have a cafeteria with an amazing staff. Today, I had a lemon baked chicken breast with cheddar mashed potatoes and green beans and an Iced tea ALL for $5. There's a different menu everyday. For every hour of instruction we get a 10 minute break. Yes we wear ties and slacks and dress shoes. But this is a good thing. Nobody comes to school in booty shorts or PJs. We are not 19 year old college frat kids. Our average age is 25.8. As a class we have a lot of life experiences, we are diverse, and we are adults. The school does not dare to treat us like kids. The dean doesn't dare to treat us like kids. He is replaceable, we are not.

Grow up.

You don't do your IPPE during school? We have ours for one day every other week. Then we have to do one six week summer rotation in the P1 year. In our second year, we attend school from late Aug until the end of May and then start third year rotations until the following June.
How is it you are attending class until late July? Do you only go to class for four hours a day?

We dominate the rotations sites and we have many. Preceptors at all the major hospitals in the area hold LECOM students in the highest regard. Our APPE students have done nothing but impress with their knowledge and professionalism.

I'm amazed you had time to talk to every single preceptor at every hospital. I barely have time to go to the bathroom.

I have spoken to preceptors, students from other schools and our students currently rotating. I felt I had a good enough gauge of what the preceptors thought of us to make that statement.

I think most preceptors and students have enough tact not to say "your school's students are inept" to your face...so I usually take what people say with a grain of salt. I'm a bigger fan of objective measures (residency/employment placement, attrition rates, PCOA/NAPLEX performance, etc...)

Granted, the question of "what makes a good school/practitioner" is highly subjective to begin with and isn't wholly quantifiable by any of the above, so I guess we're stuck.