LECOM-Erie Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't see a specific schedule for PBL on the portal. Is it essentially identical to the LDP schedule for the first semester?

Yes - everyone follows the same schedule, except as I understand it PBL does not do dissections in the anatomy lab (in order to mirror Seton Hill). Don't quote me on that, but it was the policy this past year. That doesn't mean that after hours some PBL students might not sneak in to the lab though ;) .

The learning pathways really break up and do their own thing after anatomy is over (i.e. ISP gets their objectives, LDP starts torture (aka class), PBL gets their group assignments and only comes back to the main campus once a week for OPP).

Members don't see this ad.

Yes - everyone follows the same schedule, except as I understand it PBL does not do dissections in the anatomy lab (in order to mirror Seton Hill). Don't quote me on that, but it was the policy this past year. That doesn't mean that after hours some PBL students might not sneak in to the lab though ;) .

The learning pathways really break up and do their own thing after anatomy is over (i.e. ISP gets their objectives, LDP starts torture (aka class), PBL gets their group assignments and only comes back to the main campus once a week for OPP).
OPP was the BANE of my existence and apparently it makes up 20% of board questions

Hey--I really appreciate that--but would love to see a schedule of ISP and PBL if anybody has one? (I'm guessing it's not the same...but I could be wrong?? haven't figured this all out.)
Applied for entry 2011. Thanks :)

Take a look at what your 1st semester of MS1 holds.... :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, just read this post...my mistake reading from top-down instead of bottom-up.
:rolleyes:

If you go to "Home", on the left hand side there is a tab under "Portal" for "Schedules". It's under the tabs for "Home", "Postbac Inquiry", etc. It may not be on yours but it is on mine. Only the schedules for LDP are up right now

Bleeker,

2nd year gets worse, let me tell you. If you think 2nd semester was bad, just wait

First semester was way worse than second semester. We had more free time in second semester. Although the classes were tougher, it was more interesting and better overall. I've heard how awful repro was. Hopefully it is better for my class, but I doubt it. I do like the "break" from thanksgiving to christmas with Medical Jurisprudence, Public Health and Geriatrics. There is a lot of DE in there so hopefully it is snowing so I can go snowboarding a lot.

How was COMLEX I? How are rotations going? What are you on right now?

Hey--I really appreciate that--but would love to see a schedule of ISP and PBL if anybody has one? (I'm guessing it's not the same...but I could be wrong?? haven't figured this all out.)
Applied for entry 2011. Thanks :)

ISP will be identical to LDP for the first 12 weeks except they have OPP on Thursdays instead of Wednesdays. PBL will have a similar schedule of Histo and Embryo. There are some new modifications to Gross for them though. I hear they will be having a dedicated "lab" time where you are required to be in a "lab room" for a couple hours to go over your software.

Everyone was freaking out about that first histo/embryo test. We all over studied for it and we did fine. It wasn't bad at all. Don't stress over it. I agree it was the easiest test we took last year.

Thanks, appreciate it.
:)
ISP will be identical to LDP for the first 12 weeks except they have OPP on Thursdays instead of Wednesdays. PBL will have a similar schedule of Histo and Embryo. There are some new modifications to Gross for them though. I hear they will be having a dedicated "lab" time where you are required to be in a "lab room" for a couple hours to go over your software.

Everyone was freaking out about that first histo/embryo test. We all over studied for it and we did fine. It wasn't bad at all. Don't stress over it. I agree it was the easiest test we took last year.

First semester was way worse than second semester. We had more free time in second semester. Although the classes were tougher, it was more interesting and better overall. I've heard how awful repro was. Hopefully it is better for my class, but I doubt it. I do like the "break" from thanksgiving to christmas with Medical Jurisprudence, Public Health and Geriatrics. There is a lot of DE in there so hopefully it is snowing so I can go snowboarding a lot.

Studying for the COMLEX, 3 weeks to go...

Yeah I studied for the exams post turkey day the night before and I got all A's or two A's and a B. So not bad, but watch the video for either geriatrics or biostats I forget which one. The answers to one of the questions are 3 objects discussed in the video, it was a BS question, more of an attendance question than anything else.

Yeah....you would think it would be a break but it turns out to be a huge waste of time, plus a ton of people blew one or two of those classes off and ended up failing. MJP is super easy, but public health and geriatrics are pretty easy to screw up on.

You'll find that 2nd year has it's ups and downs, but it's mostly grueling because you can "smell" the end of your preclinical years.

Yeah....you would think it would be a break but it turns out to be a huge waste of time, plus a ton of people blew one or two of those classes off and ended up failing. MJP is super easy, but public health and geriatrics are pretty easy to screw up on.

You'll find that 2nd year has it's ups and downs, but it's mostly grueling because you can "smell" the end of your preclinical years.
It wasn't the smell of the end but rather the stench of sitting in class all day being bored and surfing the internet. I think I was attentive in class 10-20% of the time. The rest I day dreamed, dozed off, GChat, etc

Where do you get the alcohol test? My county health department said they don't do alcohol tests. Anyone just go to their police department for a breathalyzer?

Where do you get the alcohol test? My county health department said they don't do alcohol tests. Anyone just go to their police department for a breathalyzer?

I just had mine done with my titers. I peed in a cup and gave my blood up all in one trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
It wasn't the smell of the end but rather the stench of sitting in class all day being bored and surfing the internet. I think I was attentive in class 10-20% of the time. The rest I day dreamed, dozed off, GChat, etc

True, that and staying up until 2 am the night before a test studying ... :D

True, that and staying up until 2 am the night before a test studying ... :D
Two? I remember getting only 2 hours of sleep before an exam. You got way more sleep than I did and you were ALWAYS the first one done.

Hey how long did the COMLEX take you, all of 2 hours?

My problem is that I can't find a holiday inn express to stay at the night before the exam

Last edited:
Two? I remember getting only 2 hours of sleep before an exam. You got way more sleep than I did and you were ALWAYS the first one done.

Hey how long did the COMLEX take you, all of 2 hours?

My problem is that I can't find a holiday inn express to stay at the night before the exam

That's true, I got a few winks in before the test to preserve my sanity.

It took me....a little more than 3 hours. Honestly, the questions were mainly first order so it was easy to get through them quickly because it was a "you know it or you don't".

It just got very real for me when I saw that schedule. This awesome year off is coming to end very soon. Definitely excited though.

That's true, I got a few winks in before the test to preserve my sanity.

It took me....a little more than 3 hours. Honestly, the questions were mainly first order so it was easy to get through them quickly because it was a "you know it or you don't".
So then USMLEWorld is over kill? What do you think of COMBANK?

Also how much Biochem was on there, a few people have told me only 1-2 questions

It just got very real for me when I saw that schedule. This awesome year off is coming to end very soon. Definitely excited though.

I hear ya. My year off wasn't planned, though. In fact, I started looking at alternative careers before I was offered an interview in late March.

So then USMLEWorld is over kill? What do you think of COMBANK?

Also how much Biochem was on there, a few people have told me only 1-2 questions

Probably around that, not too much at all.

I have not done COMBANK, but I have to say the Kaplan COMLEX QBank was pretty close (disturbingly so). From what I hear from others who took both exams they said USMLEWorld was definitely overkill for COMLEX.

Probably around that, not too much at all.

I have not done COMBANK, but I have to say the Kaplan COMLEX QBank was pretty close (disturbingly so). From what I hear from others who took both exams they said USMLEWorld was definitely overkill for COMLEX.
Isn't it better to have overkill than under kill?

Slevin, Pianoman and company, while your unsolicited sage wisdom will someday arguably pertain to the c/o 2014 isn't there a class of 2012 facebook page or something for you to discuss how bored you were in med school. Really.

Last edited:
Slevin, Pianoman and company, while your unsolicited sage wisdom will someday arguably pertain to the c/o 2014 isn't there a class of 2012 facebook page or something for you to discuss how bored you were in med school. Really.
EH, No posts there since the only peeps who post here are in coming students... Still studying for boards so I thought I'd help out the fresh meat coming into the grinder later this summer

Wow, dress code for bowling (business casual) :laugh:

Get used to it. The plus side is that now that I started rotations I don't blink twice wearing a shirt and tie every day.
Well, except for the ladies, it seems like they can wear just about anything and get away with it. Well, anything that doesn't show off the clavicles that is. If you show off your clavicles it might be put in your deans letter

Get used to it. The plus side is that now that I started rotations I don't blink twice wearing a shirt and tie every day.

I don't mind the dress code for class, but bowling...how can you be business casual in bowling shoes?

Just wear some khaki pants and a polo. It doesn't have to be anything special.

Good Luck with boards, please let us know what ends up working for you guys, we would definitely appreciate it

Stop talking about studying and relax. Med school is just school. You'll all be fine. I just graduated, have a residency spot, and I worked my entire time that I was in medical school and did research. You find time for what you care about. My best advice, calm down and stop freaking out. When you go to class they will tell you what you need to study and when. Look at all the MS2s and MS3s posting on this page because they are so bored they are looking for things to do. :laugh: That said ::shameless plug:: PM me if you are looking for cheap housing. I want a roomate. I also have a lot of medical school books/CDs/DVDs that I don't want. PM me if you want to buy them. That's my studying advice. Buy my old books. :p

Seriously. If you have any questions about Erie/LECOM/LDP, just PM me. I also know all the good running trails on Presque Isle and that the ticks all carry Lyme Disease, but that's a story for another day...

Stop talking about studying and relax. Med school is just school. You'll all be fine. I just graduated, have a residency spot, and I worked my entire time that I was in medical school and did research. You find time for what you care about. My best advice, calm down and stop freaking out. When you go to class they will tell you what you need to study and when. Look at all the MS2s and MS3s posting on this page because they are so bored they are looking for things to do. :laugh: That said ::shameless plug:: PM me if you are looking for cheap housing. I want a roomate. I also have a lot of medical school books/CDs/DVDs that I don't want. PM me if you want to buy them. That's my studying advice. Buy my old books. :p

Seriously. If you have any questions about Erie/LECOM/LDP, just PM me. I also know all the good running trails on Presque Isle and that the ticks all carry Lyme Disease, but that's a story for another day...
They'll learn all about ticks on presque from Dr. K in the micro dept count on it

Congrats and welcome class of 2014 LECOM-Erie!!!

Did you know that the National Guard needs docs so bad that they are starting to recruit med students? Just wanted to let you know about the opportunities in the National Guard for medical students if anyone is interested: we have programs that allow students to earn a stipend while in school ($1900-4000/month) with free health and dental insurance for you and for a small fee for your family! The commitment for MDSSP is 1 year of service for every 6 months you take of the stipend in school. While in school you will only be required to attend 4 drills/year and will be commissioned as a 2LT. I am a 4th year LECOM student it will be happy to answer any questions, give more details, etc. at [email protected].

Take Care!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if we need to bring our own (non latex)gloves for anatomy lab?

I used the nitriles as well. Not a fan of latex, feel like they make my hands break out after a while.

This may be an odd question to ask, but do any of the previous year students know what the LECOM Student Choir is like?

I read about it on the list of extracurriculars/groups. I know for most people it's not the highest thing on their priority list but I love singing and I would love to join something like this :D.

Also, for the dress code am I allowed to wear khaki dress pants and white socks? I wasn't sure if they were picky about wearing black socks or black dress pants, so I wanted to make sure.

Last edited:
This may be an odd question to ask, but do any of the previous year students know what the LECOM Student Choir is like?

I read about it on the list of extracurriculars/groups. I know for most people it's not the highest thing on their priority list but I love singing and I would love to join something like this :D.

Also, for the dress code am I allowed to wear khaki dress pants and white socks? I wasn't sure if they were picky about wearing black socks or black dress pants, so I wanted to make sure.
I don't wear anything but white dress socks with my khakis...

Does that mean it IS acceptable? I just wanna make sure because I'm going to be shopping for dress clothes soon...
Actually white socks are not appropriate. In reality they do an underwear check on all guys walking in the building and if you aren't wearing Hanes Tighty whities you'll have a note made in your file for that day. I know, it happened to me a few times, same story every time. I got behind in my laundry and decided to put on a pair of boxers and wouldn't you know it that was they day they decided to do an under garment check as you walked into the building. I tried to avoid it by saying I was going commando but that earned me two demerits in the boo. So after that I decided to load up on some tighty whities and bought a months supply of them. I don't have the feeling of openness now and I feel slightly constrained but I have to play by their rules.

So to answer your question, I would make sure you match, shoes match the socks which match the belt, pants, shirt and tie. God help you if you don't match, because if it happens more than once they'll take you by whatever underwear you are wearing and get the members of the military medicine club to run you up the flagpole outside the school in just your undergarments to make a statement to everyone else. So don't be that guy and you'll be OK.