LECOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DnB607 said:
All I have to say is...ugh orientation. :thumbdown:

OMG today was like the loooooooooongest day ever!!! I can't wait until Thursday when we actually start class and get out at 4!!

Members don't see this ad.

DrWiggles said:
OMG today was like the loooooooooongest day ever!!! I can't wait until Thursday when we actually start class and get out at 4!!

I can't wait either! haha

DnB607 said:
I can't wait either! haha

Definitely a very long day. I was expecting 3pm, but I heard all of the schools are like that. Right now I'm just happy that we got our schedules and I can plan trips home back to Chicago for the whole semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
SO how did everyone enjoy 3 days of BS and hearing "it's soooo hard, but don't be nervous!"? well, classes start tomorrow!!! holy crap!!! I don't have any books yet b/c 1.) they're all sold out 2.) when the hell did they even become sold out since we've been in orientation the whole time the bookstore is open? well, good luck everyone, see ya tomorrow!!

I was doing OK up until we got into the last little bit of the Neuro Stuff (the diagrams) and then completely dead in the water with the Autonomic stuff. Trying to figure out what the diagrams are suppossed to be showing is not fun

Jeremy

EFD8216 said:
I was doing OK up until we got into the last little bit of the Neuro Stuff (the diagrams) and then completely dead in the water with the Autonomic stuff. Trying to figure out what the diagrams are suppossed to be showing is not fun

Jeremy
It doesn't really help when half the power point is obtuse, vintage diagrams. Stuff was still coming up out of the dirt when those were made, hot damn.

anybody going to that MSII's house party today (we all got an email)??

Nope. Studing tonight, going out tomorrow.

ok, trying not to panic but it's kinda tough. Anyone else a bit overwhelmed? I'm used to hard work, but this just seems insane, and I feel like I'm already behind after 2 days!!!!!!

Hey guys

I was one of the tour guides during your orientation...hang in there. You'll always be behind!

yeah it's hard and overwhelming, I feel like the last 2 days is stuff it took me 2 months to learn in undergrad. But I have at least already taken A&P, histology, phys, micro, embryology. I feel sorry for those people who only took the bare minimum of sciences, I don't know how they'll make it.

HiScarlett said:
yeah it's hard and overwhelming, I feel like the last 2 days is stuff it took me 2 months to learn in undergrad. But I have at least already taken A&P, histology, phys, micro, embryology. I feel sorry for those people who only took the bare minimum of sciences, I don't know how they'll make it.

The neuro stuf is slowly starting to make sense to me, but the memorization...aaragh. Took the online neuro quiz and aced it though...looks like I got the GVE, GVA, GSA, and GSE straightened out at least.

But the Autonomic lecture went too fast.

I missed the radiology lecture yesterday due to a doctor's appointment (ugh the fun of being a late accept) which I could not schedule at any other time. I printed out the notes, but what were the key concepts he talked about?

Members don't see this ad :)
where's the online neuro quiz???

confused as hell about buck's lecture and the book doesn't really clear things up... question-- test/quiz questions are only taken from the listed objectives, not any of the extra stuff that the textbook has ??

That autonomics lecture from Dr. Buck has to be THE toughest lecture you'll have. It's nuts. Don't worry about having it down pat right now. That stuff will hit you in the face again during neuro!

"....it evolved that way, if you believe in that." Dr. Buck.

Evolution is apparently up for grabs according to Dr. Buck. Amazing stuff considering we are in a med school in the year 2006.

First the pledge of allegiance, then the Frank Capra/ Leni Riefenstahl-esque propaganda videos, now we got science itself on the chopping block. Way to go LECOM, more irony than I could ever want; what else ya got?

wondermutt said:
"....it evolved that way, if you believe in that." Dr. Buck.

Evolution is apparently up for grabs according to Dr. Buck. Amazing stuff considering we are in a med school in the year 2006.

I'm pretty sure that he plugged those comments to allow room for error if some of the students do not believe in evolution... I would guess it is not "up for grabs" according to Dr. Buck, but possibly to some of the LECOM students it is. This is an easy way for a professor to avoid the "I can't believe I'm being forced to study something against my religious beliefs" type of statements coming to his office... nothing more

The video was in honor of the LECOM students fighting in Iraq right now, as there are many... nothing more

Donvb said:
I'm pretty sure that he plugged those comments to allow room for error if some of the students do not believe in evolution... I would guess it is not "up for grabs" according to Dr. Buck, but possibly to some of the LECOM students it is. This is an easy way for a professor to avoid the "I can't believe I'm being forced to study something against my religious beliefs" type of statements coming to his office... nothing more

The video was in honor of the LECOM students fighting in Iraq right now, as there are many... nothing more

OK, but since when do we go to a religious school? Not really cool to play "god bless america", but oh yeah, I also am silent for the "...one nation under god" part of the pledge". Maybe it's just me but I'm not really down with having religion crammed down my throat. ....Also, anyone at LECOM who doesn't believe in evolution shouldn't be here, if you can deny one scientific fact, why not deny any you choose?

HiScarlett said:
OK, but since when do we go to a religious school? Not really cool to play "god bless america", but oh yeah, I also am silent for the "...one nation under god" part of the pledge". Maybe it's just me but I'm not really down with having religion crammed down my throat. ....Also, anyone at LECOM who doesn't believe in evolution shouldn't be here, if you can deny one scientific fact, why not deny any you choose?

Welcome to LECOM...it only gets worse with the propaganda and lies...Enjoy the next 4 years. I know I didn't :thumbdown:

I'd like to believe that, but since Buck decided to include his religious-tinged poem (I use the word extremely casually) into our anatomy lab manual I remain rather doubtful.

anyone else feel like they don't know crap about anatomy??? I feel like the only one who a) has never had anatomy before, or b) is just really slow at picking it up. I don't think I'm an idiot....at least I didn't think so until a few days ago...grrrrrr...it's going to be a long long loooonnnngg two years.

OMG Dr. Buck made a statement supporting evolution! What ever shall we do :scared:

doctorE2010 said:
anyone else feel like they don't know crap about anatomy??? I feel like the only one who a) has never had anatomy before, or b) is just really slow at picking it up. I don't think I'm an idiot....at least I didn't think so until a few days ago...grrrrrr...it's going to be a long long loooonnnngg two years.

I'm with you. I don't think I'm an idiot, but I feel the same as you. Mainly, we are exhausted due to lack of sleep, and thus our brains have not have enough time to let the new info sink in.

MedicineMan99 said:
So are you guys still happy with your decision to attend LECOM?

yea, it's better than going to grad school.

Corrupt200 said:
yea, it's better than going to grad school.
LECOM has been awesome so far! I'm not sure why everyones always bitching, other than childlike complaints about the dress code, etc.

GET OVER IT, I have been enjoying my time, and yes, Dr. Buck did seem to change his attitude about evolution... Perhaps he was harrassed by a fellow student??? :eek:

I agree! However I happen to like the dress code, I went to catholic school my entire life, other than college, and the shirt and tie thing is much better than the brown sweater with a ******ed patch i had to wear for 13 years. At least we get to pick what colors we get to wear! :D

here's some more childish bitching guys... don't read it if ya don't want to! I think the dress code IS super lame! we might as well just wear catholic school uniforms, I had to wear them all growing up and I would much prefer a white shirt/blue or black pants, doesn't take any thought or time to pick out your outfit. Or no dress code would also be great, why should I be all dressed up to sit in a lecture hall all day, or to go get gross and smelly in anatomy lab? Also, I am finding the school's facilities to be rather lacking. Most places are wireless all over, have comfortable student lounges, allow you to have a water bottle, and have much better libraries. Oh, and the cafeteria sucks a lot, they need a better range of choices, especially for those of us who don't eat meat. Oh, and the gym sucks. I think that's about all for now...

HiScarlett said:
here's some more childish bitching guys... don't read it if ya don't want to! I think the dress code IS super lame! we might as well just wear catholic school uniforms, I had to wear them all growing up and I would much prefer a white shirt/blue or black pants, doesn't take any thought or time to pick out your outfit. Or no dress code would also be great, why should I be all dressed up to sit in a lecture hall all day, or to go get gross and smelly in anatomy lab? Also, I am finding the school's facilities to be rather lacking. Most places are wireless all over, have comfortable student lounges, allow you to have a water bottle, and have much better libraries. Oh, and the cafeteria sucks a lot, they need a better range of choices, especially for those of us who don't eat meat. Oh, and the gym sucks. I think that's about all for now...

At least you girls don't have to wear ties!

As for me, I wore my bugs bunny tie to schol today, and no one told me to change it. I am going to buy myself a few more non-conservative ties in order to make "dressing like Alex Keaton" seem a little more interesting.

Corrupt200 said:
At least you girls don't have to wear ties!

As for me, I wore my bugs bunny tie to schol today, and no one told me to change it. I am going to buy myself a few more non-conservative ties in order to make "dressing like Alex Keaton" seem a little more interesting.

Just don't start dressing like Diane Keaton

doctorE2010 said:
I'm in the same boat. I've never taken anatomy before either. Everything is moving so fast.

I really hope these first 2 years are going to start going by fast like everyone says...

HiScarlett said:
I really hope these first 2 years are going to start going by fast like everyone says...

Here are my questions:

1) Are you happy you decided to attend medical school?

2) Are you happy with your decision to attend LECOM or do you wish you were in another DO school?

3) Explain please.

Thanks!

MedicineMan99 said:
Here are my questions:

2) Are you happy with your decision to attend LECOM or do you wish you were in another DO school?

3) Explain please.

Thanks!

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) PBL

MedicineMan99 said:
Here are my questions:

3) Explain please.

Thanks!

1)yes
2)happy
3)very professional, preparing us well for boards, Dr. Buck

MedicineMan99 said:
Here are my questions:

---
3) Explain please.

Thanks!

1. ---so far, but only time will tell...
2. see #1
3. I only applied to 5 med schools, and only 2 DO, so I don't have a lot to compare to. I think LECOM is kinda lame though, with all the arbitrary rules and the mediocre facilities. But hey, if I come out on the other end as a competent doctor, its all good.

Not to be a mean person, but well...to be a mean person who's trying to avoid studying...

MedicineMan99 is not worth your time and I wouldn't even reply to his questions. He posted on 11-13-2005 his stats (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3099659#post3099659), as if to imply that he was in the process of applying to schools and stated that he was interested in LECOM and PCOM. He then posted on 04-28-2006 (5 months later) that he was an MSIV (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=277793) at PCOM and no one should go there because it was so bad. He's obviously a bad egg.

Anyone who would try to ruin the good thing that SDN has going by being a total meanie by trying to make people not go to a school in order to raise his chances of getting in is just beyond words that I can type in this forum.
Oh and to throw the race card into the mess he poasted this (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=132072) wonderful little tidbit as well. So, my two cents is to ignore people like him that make medical students look bad.

Ok, now I'm going to go back to studying. Because I got into medical school, and I didn't lie, cheat, and steal, I just worked hard.

Did you guys get that e-mail about the Transformers??? Gotta love all the random e-mails that were meant to be personal. Like the "I like running" one, or the "I am coming to the practice practical."

If someone wants to inform us of their transformer preference, biking satisfaction, or abilities to run, by using mass emails... i'm all for it! I love getting a glimpse of peoples private lives(every 15 minutes), only to realize these same people mass emailing everyone, are also taking the same tests as me... So, I come to the conclusion that maybe I can succeed in medical school, when my colleagues can't get around the "reply to sender" vs. "replay to all" conundrum... I also enjoy picturing them cussing after the push the "reply to all" button, and realize their terrible error... Why learn the brachial plexus when there are such perplexities as email!

And then there is the guy, this Stevens character, who has focused his life around the difficult decision of which transformer reigns supreme... I mean seriously, a guy with priorities aligned in such a perfect manner, will certainly make an excellent physician...

yes, I was about to send a mass email to everyone requesting that they stop replying to everyone about everything. Everytime I get nervous about flunking out of school I think about how there were only 5 that did it last year... then I look around the room and look for 5 people I think are dumber than me... well, I think it's been about 5 people so far who can't even use email...

oh, and one more thing, MEdicineMan99, wtf? What is your problem?

ok, I retract my previous statement, I am going to flunk out! I am having a true freak out moment right now, screaming at power points that I am not a robot, I am a person and there's no way all this stuff can fit in my head...

Corrupt200 said:
oh, like she did in Annie Hall?
Or Sleeper, or Hannah and Her Sisters OR in real life. She's a superfreak. That is to say that she's super freaky. There's more, but I have to sleep.

Hey guys...I am freaking out too. I have gotten behind on the studying and I am going crazy. Has anyone tried a study group? I am not in one and was just wondering if I can join any of you in trying to possibly memorize all of this stuff.