LECOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulfuturedo

hopefuldoc
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided this is where I will be attending, lets get our posts up here and get to know each other before next August. Congrats to everyone. :D

Members don't see this ad.

hopefulfuturedo said:
What is no one going to go to LECOM?

I don't know yet. They have let some folks that I interviewed with know, but I haven't heard squat. I guess that's not a good sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey when did you guys interview? I interviewed on 09/23,they said 3 weeks,but I havent heard anything.

Hey, Im in
Look forward to meet everyone

anutka21 said:
Hey, Im in
Sweet that makes two of us that are going. Maybe we should post our stats to help give others hope.
VR-9, PS-7, BS-8, WS-O
Science G.P.A.-3.45
Overall G.P.A.-3.47
I love LECOM so much, I was so shocked because at first I wasn't even going to go there, but Erie and the school are so awesome I can't wait to be up there next August.

So I am currently a 5th year senior at Western State College in Gunnison, Colorado. I will graduate in May with a B.A. in Biology-Cell and Molecular and a minor in Chemistry and Business. I love skiing and anything outdoors. I truely do enjoy the D.O. philosophy. Lets keep the thread going. :D

anutka21 said:
Hey, Im in
Sweet that makes two of us that are going. Maybe we should post our stats to help give others hope.
VR-9, PS-7, BS-8, WS-O
Science G.P.A.-3.45
Overall G.P.A.-3.47
I love LECOM so much, I was so shocked because at first I wasn't even going to go there, but Erie and the school are so awesome I can't wait to be up there next August.

So I am currently a 5th year senior at Western State College in Gunnison, Colorado. I will graduate in May with a B.A. in Biology-Cell and Molecular and a minor in Chemistry and Business. I love skiing and anything outdoors. I truely do enjoy the D.O. philosophy. Lets keep the thread going. :D

Hey guys congrats! Just interviewed on 10/13... So I am just doing the waiting thing. Hopefully I will be able to take part on this page. I will let you guys know in about 3 weeks :/

hopefulfuturedo,

What did you like so much about LECOM and what path do you think you are going to take? How much did you have to shell out to reserve your seat and when was it due (I saw $500 for acceptance but then $1000 for matriculation, a little confused)? Thanks. :thumbup:

DODO said:
hopefulfuturedo,

What did you like so much about LECOM and what path do you think you are going to take? How much did you have to shell out to reserve your seat and when was it due (I saw $500 for acceptance but then $1000 for matriculation, a little confused)? Thanks. :thumbup:

If you are accepted before November 15 you have to send them $1500 before December 15. That is then applied to your tuition once you matriculate. Like other schools it is non-refundable.

I am an the Lecture Discussion Pathway. They preach all day that if you lecture style learning has worked for you up until now why change it. I thought I didn't have enough self motiviation at this point for Independant study, and even though I have a good science background I just didn't think the Problem Based Learning was right for me.

At first I really wasn't excited about LECOM, I actually wasn't even going to go to the interview but my advisor said I should. I really like that city of Erie it seems like it is large enough without being a metropolis by any means. The school was fantastic, it is really nice and everyone I talked to was extremly outgoing. Some people complain about the dress code, but it seems like we should dress professionally since we are going to medical school. It also was by far the easiest and most fulfilling interview I had. It had tons of information to help you make your decision and they day wasn't filled up with nonsense and the interview was so easy and relaxing. I would recommend this school to anyone now that I have a seat.

What did you think of Erie? Will you go if you get in? When do you guys hear from them? Sorry it took so long to get back to you big Histology and Biochem test last week. If you have anymore questions just asked.

I also thought Erie was not terribly metropolitan, but when I realized after 9 hours of driving from NY thatI forgot a tie at 8:50pm the night before my interview, and I saw a Men's Warehouse as soon as I got off the highway it was like an oasis in the desert. I guess they liked my tie, be joining everyone there in August.

immunograd said:
I also thought Erie was not terribly metropolitan, but when I realized after 9 hours of driving from NY thatI forgot a tie at 8:50pm the night before my interview, and I saw a Men's Warehouse as soon as I got off the highway it was like an oasis in the desert. I guess they liked my tie, be joining everyone there in August.

I am glad everything worked out. Why don't we tell a little about ourselves so that we get to know each other a little more.

Hey, guys I have a question. How do you know which pathway were you accepted in. My letter didnt specify the pathway. Is that decided based on ratings you gave during interview? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
anutka21 said:
Hey, guys I have a question. How do you know which pathway were you accepted in. My letter didnt specify the pathway. Is that decided based on ratings you gave during interview? Thanks

I dont' know. I signed up for LDP as my number one choice. So I just assumed that was the pathway I was admitted into. Hope that helps. How did you rank your pathways. I think we are so early that we get what ever pathway we chose as number 1.

hopefulfuturedo said:
I dont' know. I signed up for LDP as my number one choice. So I just assumed that was the pathway I was admitted into. Hope that helps. How did you rank your pathways. I think we are so early that we get what ever pathway we chose as number 1.
Thats what I thought too. thanks :)
I picked LDP also.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input hopefulfuturedo. I wasn't super impressed with Erie, but I see it as I will not have that much time to go out anyways plus not as much distractions... But the cost of living and tuition are nice. I was impressed by the school however. Really well maintained, professional atmosphere and friendly faculty and students, plus one of my friends is a first year there and he is happy with his decision and knows the school will prepare him well. Don't know if I could get used to taking test with a shirt and tie (normal attire is sweats and sandals, went to school at UC san diego). About the 3 different learning pathways, I think it is a great idea. Half the people I ask tell me for sure to take ISP and the other half say no way take LDP. I like that with ISP you will have a little more flexability in your schedule and will only have to focus on one subject at a time, however, you will only have one Big test at the end of each module (sp.). However with LDP you will have a set schedule and a little more room for error with more than one exam per subject... What a decision (I guess I don't need to think about that yet since I don't even know if I am in yet)

Do you guys know about the vacation time, like how much time we have off for our first summer etc.? About which pathway you are in, they will talk with you a little latter to make sure that is the one you want since there are a set number per each pathway (140 LDP, 40 PBL, and 30 ISP). Well I guess that is it for now. Congrats to both of you guys, and keep your fingers crossed.

Hey Guys and Girls!

I just sent in my deposit yesterday, so I'll be joining you all come next fall! I'm currently finishing up O-Chem at Flathead Valley Community College in Kalispell, Montana. I received my undergraduate degree in business from the University of Colorado - Boulder in 2003, decided on a career change, and now I'm going to be a DO! Whoohooooo!!! :D

HopefulfutureDO, it'll be nice to have another Bronco fan in Erie - we'll have to set some Sundays aside soley for the Broncs. Hopefully Plummer doesn't do his usual later this year! :rolleyes:

I was really impressed with Erie. I had never been there and really just went for some interview experience. However, I loved the city, the school, and the people I met there. So, that's where I'll be attending! I also interviewed at Touro-NV. Wasn't really that impressed. Got an interview invite to DMU right after I mailed my deposit, so I think it was God's way of telling me I should go to LECOM. I don't mind the dress code at all - professional atmosphere breeds professional doctors!

I am in the LDP. I chose it mostly because I'm from a non-science background and will benefit greatly by being in lecture and learning how I always have!

I look forward to meeting you all. Has anyone started looking into housing? I'm used to paying a ton for an apartment (Boulder was crazy expensive), so I'm excited to tone the prices down a bit!

Cory

Oh, forgot my stats:

MCAT: 23Q (V:9 B:7 P:7)
GPA: 3.8ish.

There is hope for all you that didn't do too stellar on your MCAT! No worries!!! :D

Hey

If you guys or gals have any questions about LECOM, feel free to PM me. I am an MS3, was in LDP, and do not have a degree in the sciences.

As far as vacation time, this year I believe they are getting 3-4 weeks off for Christmas/New Year's just the way the days fall. Normally you get a good 2 weeks for Christmas. Thanksgiving classes end at noon on Wednesday. I think for summer between MS1 and MS2 years you get at least 8 weeks if you don't have to remediate anything.

If your acceptance letter doesn't say anything, that means you are in LDP.

I'm a 2nd year at LECOM B, and am really disconcerted with everything down here. For one, the library is lackluster and no one listens to student input. I hope the system works better for you guys in Erie. If you asked me a year ago I would have told you that it doesn't make sense to bash one's own med school, but I've lost the luxury of optimism in that time. The PBL system sucks, every single facilitator has a different idea of what a group should be and each time we switch groups we find that everyone has had different learning issues up to that point (which they're not willing to repeat) and because of that we'll all take the boards this summer not having covered the necessary topics. Fine, LECOM has a formidably high average on the boards, but that's because the Ferrettis won't let anyone take it that doesn't look like they're going to "do" the institution proud (make no mistake, the second you sign with LECOM your rear end belongs to the Ferrettis). One of the PBL heads, Dr. Coty, perfectly punctuates the disrespect most of the faculty have for us with his practice of addressing our class (in emails) as "dear future doctors and wannabes". You can't even transfer out, the appropriate person to write the letter (he knows who he is) says he isn't going to do so because he could lose his job. Any soon to be LECOM B MS1'ers, I have no doubt that the class of 2009 will do everything to help you guys out when you get here, but if at all possible; don't shoot yourself in the foot by accepting admissions here.

Dorkus Maximus said:
Where'd you go, LECOM buddies? :scared:

I hope I can start posting on here soon... interviewed 9/29, still waiting to hear back... this is killin' me!

I am right here. Just don't know exactly what to post anymore. waiting for more people to be accepted and decide if they are going to go there.

Doctortobee said:
Hey

If you guys or gals have any questions about LECOM, feel free to PM me. I am an MS3, was in LDP, and do not have a degree in the sciences.

As far as vacation time, this year I believe they are getting 3-4 weeks off for Christmas/New Year's just the way the days fall. Normally you get a good 2 weeks for Christmas. Thanksgiving classes end at noon on Wednesday. I think for summer between MS1 and MS2 years you get at least 8 weeks if you don't have to remediate anything.

If your acceptance letter doesn't say anything, that means you are in LDP.

actually....we're done the tues before thanksgiving but we have our 2nd core exam then. i do love the fact that we have an extra week this year for winter break. :D

Hi guys, I'm pretty sure I'll be attending in the Fall. I liked the school and really like the low cost of living (would like to buy a house). I originally put Lecture pathway, but when I interviewed at Bradenton they kinda sold me on PBL. Now I'm not sure if I want to try to switch to PBL. Any thoughts???

doctorE2010 said:
Hi guys, I'm pretty sure I'll be attending in the Fall. I liked the school and really like the low cost of living (would like to buy a house). I originally put Lecture pathway, but when I interviewed at Bradenton they kinda sold me on PBL. Now I'm not sure if I want to try to switch to PBL. Any thoughts???

Hey! My sister graduated from DMU-COM and highly recommended the PBL for anywhere its available. She said as long as you're fine with your sciences, then you'll be able to contribute to the conversations and cases without making a fool out of yourself! :oops:

I come from a business background and haven't had a whole lot of science courses. I thought I'd spend most of my time trying to grasp the science stuff without really contributing to the cases if I went the PBL route. As such, I chose the LDP so I can get my hands on the science bull's horns. :scared:

I've heard from friends that all the pathways are great. It just depends on your learning style!!! :D Choose what will suit you the best and go for it! Hope to see you around! Are you going to go to Bradentown or Erie?

anutka21 said:

Last year if your letter didn't specify, that usually meant you were LDP, but if you want in on PBL this is the time to remind them.

I am currently an MS1, PBL and if anyone has any questions feel free to email me.

I love the school and its met all me expectations.

Some things I learned: Palarmo properties are excellent and they seem to be very easy to deal with, but be specific, they tend to say thing then forget. Also if you look at a place, be sure insist that you look at the exact unit you will be renting.

north west pennsylvania apartment association is an excellent site, check it out.

If I could go back in time, I would have taken an anatomy class in the spring prior to starting. Anatomy is fast and its pretty tough, if you've had it before, I think it takes the edge off. Some say Biochem is also important.
Don't bother taking histo, its tough, but from what I've heard, taking it in undergrad doesn't help much.

The MS2's were excellent with us this year, we will try to do the same for you guys next year.

and congrats to all

but if at all possible; don't shoot yourself in the foot by accepting admissions here.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that students not happy. I have heard similar feelings about brandonton, but the opposite seems true here in Erie. The system is well developed, we have had zero intimidation from the administration, besides the normal "rules" that exists in schools. But if your not doing anything wrong, and it seems that as long as you put in your best honest efforts, the administration will work very hard to get you through.

The numbers are important. 88% passed the boards last year, I think the national average is 89%. So that's the truth. Numbers get thrown around alot. Retention is 97% over the four years. Pretty good. I beleive one school has a retention rate of 70%, that's kinda scary, so keep these things in mind.

So, I would recommend Erie. Florida is still new and it comes with the newness problems. But it will get there.

Lecom is also pretty tight with dress codes, attendance ect. But hey, its med school, its two years and I don't mind dressing up and going to class, hey, its what we pay for anyways.

anyways, any questions. email me

j

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm so excited to attend next fall!!!

It's going to be hard paying attention in next semester's classes (especially O-Chem! :sleep: ) knowing that I'm moving on to bigger and better things at LECOM! It'll be like senior year of high school all over again!!!

Anyway, I was wondering if one of you that is already there could possible walk me through a typical day. I know we are there to learn, but is there any time for fun? If so, what do you all like to do? Are the students cohesive in recreational activities? I heard there was a gym (sort of) on campus but I didn't get to see it during our tour. Where do you all work out?

Thanks in advance for all your help! I look forward to meeting you all! :D

It's going to be hard paying attention in next semester's classes (especially O-Chem! )

How did you get accept without O-chem?

I heard there was a gym (sort of) on campus but I didn't get to see it during our tour. Where do you all work out?

The YMCA gives deals to LECOM students.

BadVB750 said:
How did you get accept without O-chem?

You just have to finish all your pre-reqs by the time you matriculate! :D All I have left is O-Chem this semester and next.

That line about shooting yourself in the foot was not mine. I think the disgruntled brandonton person said that.

Most of what we do is study, but there are always thing going on that are usually spin off's on volunteer work through the clubs, and they are usually pretty fun. As a matter of fact there are so many options that you just have to be sure you don't over commit yourself and then find yourself crunched for study time.

was up dave,
j

I got permissions to switch to the PBL track so I think that's what I'm going to do. If anyone here is currently in PBL or going that route next year, let me know (any tips would be great!). Also, for current students, I'm pretty sure my husband and I are going to buy a house (considering it is such a great buyer's market in Erie and houses are very affordable). Are there any particular neighborhoods that are recommended (or to stay away from?) Thanks!!

Here is the web site for the NW penn apartment assoc. Great site for finding apartments.

http://www.aptassoc.com/index.vnx

The streets are set up numbered, the lower the number the closer it is to the lake, the higher the number the closer it is to the expressway. And what's better is its devided into East and West. LECOM is on the West side, and its at about 38th street. So if you get a place on East 2nd street, your pretty far away. Yet West 36th street is close. Lower East side is bad between East 5th and up to East 26th.

Thought that may help

jjmcentee@hotma said:
Here is the web site for the NW penn apartment assoc. Great site for finding apartments.

http://www.aptassoc.com/index.vnx

The streets are set up numbered, the lower the number the closer it is to the lake, the higher the number the closer it is to the expressway. And what's better is its devided into East and West. LECOM is on the West side, and its at about 38th street. So if you get a place on East 2nd street, your pretty far away. Yet West 36th street is close. Lower East side is bad between East 5th and up to East 26th.

Thought that may help

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to fly out over Christmas break and look around a bit more. I was only in Erie for a grand total of 23 hours for my interview, so I didn't really get a chance to check out the housing situation.

I have a question about the interview at LECOM- ERIE...i keep hearing something about summarizing an article during the interview...i haven't received any article and i was wondering what article everyone is talking about...i understand that there are around 9 questions asked, which are pretty straight forward, but im a but confused as to what article people are talking about...any help on this would be appreciated...thanks

jl7777 said:
I have a question about the interview at LECOM- ERIE...i keep hearing something about summarizing an article during the interview...i haven't received any article and i was wondering what article everyone is talking about...i understand that there are around 9 questions asked, which are pretty straight forward, but im a but confused as to what article people are talking about...any help on this would be appreciated...thanks

It's a small ( one page) article about some healthcare issue they give you to read during the orientation. Then when you have an actual interview they will ask you to summarize it, and maybe give your opinion on it. Really nothing to worry about, it is written in plain English. Good luck :luck:

Well....I hope you feel better now that you have vented here.....now try and refocus your energy for the better and make your voice be heard in the school!

Anyone know how well LECOM-Erie students matched into residency programs?? I too just got accepted. thanks

NUcat1 said:
Anyone know how well LECOM-Erie students matched into residency programs?? I too just got accepted. thanks

I heard LECOM doesn't release their residency matches. I'd like to know too! :confused:

Hey hopefulfuturedo,

How 'bout the Broncos shellacking of the Eagles last week?!? Whooohoooo! :D

Dorkus Maximus said:
I heard LECOM doesn't release their residency matches. I'd like to know too! :confused:
They do not release those info. I wonder why or what they're trying to hide. Kinda strange if you ask me.

FutureDocDO said:
They do not release those info. I wonder why or what they're trying to hide. Kinda strange if you ask me.

It is a little fishy... but I'm not too worried! I guess I'll find out first hand whether LECOM has good residency matches or not! ;)

Dorkus Maximus said:
Hey hopefulfuturedo,

How 'bout the Broncos shellacking of the Eagles last week?!? Whooohoooo! :D

That was sweet. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I had a histology, psychology and Biochem test this week. I am so excited to attend next year, each day that goes by is a day closer to starting med school. I am excited to start but I am going to enjoy the free time I have now. How many of you are going to buy something up there due to cheap housing. If anyone wants to e-mail me my e-mail is [email protected].

My husband and I are looking into buying a house. We contacted a real estate agent at Howard Hanna and she's been very helpful so far. Also, the best place I've found to search for houses is at realtor.com Also, after searching realtor.com if I find a house I'm interested in I've been looking at the company's website (Remax, coldwell banker, etc). These websites give you more specific info and pictures. We're trying to stay under $125,000 and have found a lot of very nice properties. Hope this helps!

Hey guys,
I look forward to meeting all of you!!! I was accepted today!!!!

tryinhard said:
Hey guys,
I look forward to meeting all of you!!! I was accepted today!!!!

Congrats! I'm so excited for everyone! Isn't it the best feeling in the world?!?

Here's how it was for me:

Waiting for the letter in the mail: :confused:
Opening the letter: :scared:
Reading the word "Congratulations!": :eek:
After putting the letter down: :D

Dorkus Maximus said:
Congrats! I'm so excited for everyone! Isn't it the best feeling in the world?!?

Here's how it was for me:

Waiting for the letter in the mail: :confused:
Opening the letter: :scared:
Reading the word "Congratulations!": :eek:
After putting the letter down: :D

Same experience for me too. Hey Dorkus, you have kids, right? (I thought I read that somewhere.) Anyway, I heard the Mill Creek area has an awesome school system. I know a MS 4 there.

So anyway, I chose the PBL pathway, I come from a medical background and thought it would better suit me.

Im 90% sure I will be attending LECOM.

Raven Feather said:
Same experience for me too. Hey Dorkus, you have kids, right? (I thought I read that somewhere.) Anyway, I heard the Mill Creek area has an awesome school system. I know a MS 4 there.

So anyway, I chose the PBL pathway, I come from a medical background and thought it would better suit me.

Im 90% sure I will be attending LECOM.

Hey Raven Feather,

I don't have any kids of my own. For the past year, I've been helping my sister take care of her three kids (2, 5, and 8). She just started her own pediatric practice and her husband has a job that keeps him away a lot (at least for now). In exchange for free room and board while I finish up prereqs, I've pretty much been a nanny! Thank for the tip, though.

I was thinking about the Millcreek area for an apartment. I hear its pretty nice and not too expensive! Guess we'll see! Thanks again.