LECOM Bradenton Masters of Medical Sciences, 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone send GRE scores? I'm in the process of applying, but all I could find was the Pennsylvania code (6659) on ETS. Is this correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Just completed my application today hopefully I'll get a response soon. It took me a while to get my letter of recommendation unfortunately, so I'm a little late in the cycle :(

Does anybody know when the application begins/ends? Looking to apply and attend in 2018.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying at the end of this week... Wish me luck lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Decision made and waiting for the letter. Hoping for good news.

Decision made and waiting for the letter. Hoping for good news.
My status updated today saying they had made a decision. I decided to call and turns out I was accepted! You should give them a call.

Reactions: 1 user
My status updated today saying they had made a decision. I decided to call and turns out I was accepted! You should give them a call.
Congrats did you call the main No. (941) 782-5978
I called and no one answers.

Congrats did you call the main No. (941) 782-5978
I called and no one answers.
Call the main number and ask to speak with Nicole Papanikos. The number is (941) 756-0690

Got my letter of acceptance today! I emailed them about sending official transcripts because I'll be graduating this semester and I'll have to wait a while until my college finalizes everything, but hopefully I'll still be eligible for the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my letter of acceptance today! I emailed them about sending official transcripts because I'll be graduating this semester and I'll have to wait a while until my college finalizes everything, but hopefully I'll still be eligible for the program.
Congrats! When did you apply? And do you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats! When did you apply? And do you mind sharing your stats?
3/8 - sent most of my application (only missing my LOR)
4/18 - sent in my LOR and completed my app
4/24 - saw the message in the portal about them making a decision
4/27 - received my letter of acceptance in the mail (I live in Florida so mine may have been quicker than the usual)

Stats
cGPA: 3.45 (with grade forgiveness, not sure what it is without)
sGPA: 3.28 (3.07 without grade forgiveness)
MCAT: 499

I messed up two 5 credit science classes in the beginning of my undergrad but retook them and did fairly well. I've been on an uphill trend lately and I'm hoping to continue during the program. I'm currently on track to retake the MCAT June 30th, but since the program starts June 13th I'm not sure if I can. I know some people will be banking on the 3.0 GPA & interview, but for me I want to have possible options in case I don't get into LECOM's DO program.

I have a question for everyone here. Does anyone know if any graduates of this program have been accepted to any med schools other than LECOM? Lets say for example I do attend this program and maintain a high GPA (3.7+) and get a 508+ on the MCAT? Do you think any MD schools would be willing to accept a graduate from an osteopathic masters program?

Called today. Decisions should be made within 1-2 weeks. Good luck!

Also if you submitted a DO application, transcripts and LOR can be pulled to support MMS application.

I have a question for everyone here. Does anyone know if any graduates of this program have been accepted to any med schools other than LECOM? Lets say for example I do attend this program and maintain a high GPA (3.7+) and get a 508+ on the MCAT? Do you think any MD schools would be willing to accept a graduate from an osteopathic masters program?
yes there have been graduates accepted to other DO schools such as Nova, as to other MD schools I highly doubt that they will discriminate against a osteopathic school masters program. From personal experience in the program there was nothing "osteopathic" related, more general medical knowledge based, so you should be fine.

Can anyone who has done or is currently doing this program comment on what the day to day schedule is like? I saw M-F starting at 8 for approximately 4 hours but any other details would be great. Are lectures recorded? Is attendance required? How do you feel about the difficulty of the program? Have other people who did well and then went on to Lecom B DO school commented on how well it prepared them? I saw some discussion of this but what percentage of people assured of an interview actually get in to DO school there? It seems like the consensus has been if you have a >3.3 and do fine in the interview the odds are good.

Thanks

Can anyone who has done or is currently doing this program comment on what the day to day schedule is like? I saw M-F starting at 8 for approximately 4 hours but any other details would be great. Are lectures recorded? Is attendance required? How do you feel about the difficulty of the program? Have other people who did well and then went on to Lecom B DO school commented on how well it prepared them? I saw some discussion of this but what percentage of people assured of an interview actually get in to DO school there? It seems like the consensus has been if you have a >3.3 and do fine in the interview the odds are good.

Thanks
Hey, I'm in the program right now. We are currently in the first semester, and are in the "easy" part of the program. The material itself is not very hard to understand, but everyone in the program is essentially working all the time. We have an exam or quiz almost every week. The schedule is really dependent on semester, but right now we have class like this:

Mondays: 10-12, Tuesdays: 8-10 and 10:15-12, Weds: 10-12, Thursday: 8-10 and 10:15-12, Friday: 10-12 and 1-3.

Thats what the schedule is supposed to be, but it has varied depending on how fast the Professors are teaching, and whether we are doing self-directed learning, team-based learning, or lecture.

I would say that the program has been pretty great so far. We are only about 3-4 weeks in, but I have learned a lot. They keep pushing us, and expect to us to be studying all the time. A lot of people have talked previously about the administration, but I've only found them to be awesome(literally they are cool people.)

The past class was the first MMS class so they wouldn't know how well it has prepared them for medical school which starts in the fall.

From what I understand, the program is meant to be a preparatory program, so all the students who come from the MMS class into the medical or dental school are top performers, always in the top 10% on exams, and stellar board scores. Everything I've seen so far indicates to me that the administration really wants us to succeed, while getting us ready to be the best in the medical school.

Lectures are not recorded, attendance is not mandatory but they do still take attendance. They want to see you coming in everyday.

They said that they have spots in the medical school for every student, so long as they do well. You get an interview with a 3.0, and most likely accepted with a 3.4. Like I said, they want to condition us MMS students so that we kill the boards, etc.

Last year I think more than 80% of the students who were on the medical track got accepted. Some students who did really well in the first semester of the program even got promoted to the medical school. Thats why they start in the summer.

Overall its a pretty great program. If you have any other specific question, feel free to ask.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I'm in the program right now. We are currently in the first semester, and are in the "easy" part of the program. The material itself is not very hard to understand, but everyone in the program is essentially working all the time. We have an exam or quiz almost every week. The schedule is really dependent on semester, but right now we have class like this:

Mondays: 10-12, Tuesdays: 8-10 and 10:15-12, Weds: 10-12, Thursday: 8-10 and 10:15-12, Friday: 10-12 and 1-3.

Thats what the schedule is supposed to be, but it has varied depending on how fast the Professors are teaching, and whether we are doing self-directed learning, team-based learning, or lecture.

I would say that the program has been pretty great so far. We are only about 3-4 weeks in, but I have learned a lot. They keep pushing us, and expect to us to be studying all the time. A lot of people have talked previously about the administration, but I've only found them to be awesome(literally they are cool people.)

The past class was the first MMS class so they wouldn't know how well it has prepared them for medical school which starts in the fall.

From what I understand, the program is meant to be a preparatory program, so all the students who come from the MMS class into the medical or dental school are top performers, always in the top 10% on exams, and stellar board scores. Everything I've seen so far indicates to me that the administration really wants us to succeed, while getting us ready to be the best in the medical school.

Lectures are not recorded, attendance is not mandatory but they do still take attendance. They want to see you coming in everyday.

They said that they have spots in the medical school for every student, so long as they do well. You get an interview with a 3.0, and most likely accepted with a 3.4. Like I said, they want to condition us MMS students so that we kill the boards, etc.

Last year I think more than 80% of the students who were on the medical track got accepted. Some students who did really well in the first semester of the program even got promoted to the medical school. Thats why they start in the summer.

Overall its a pretty great program. If you have any other specific question, feel free to ask.
Pre-dent here. How many pre-dents are in the program? When calculating GPA for admission purpose to MMS, do they do grade replacements? Can we use the letter of recs that are addressed to med/dent schools?

Thanks for the help!

Pre-dent here. How many pre-dents are in the program? When calculating GPA for admission purpose to MMS, do they do grade replacements? Can we use the letter of recs that are addressed to med/dent schools?

Thanks for the help!
There are about 20 or more predents. Getting into the Dental school is not easy though, they really want a higher DAT, their Dental school is quickly becoming one of the best in the nation. I do not have the answer to the grade replacement. Yes you can use the same letters of recommendation that you use for the professional schools, or at least many of the people in the class did.

That is awesome thank you for all the info! I've been looking at Lecom and USF but I'm leaning towards Lecom. I know a lot of doctors at work who went there. I like that there's a smaller class size and if you perform well it sounds like there is a much higher chance of acceptance vs other programs. You say studying all the time. How much would you say you have been studying roughly? I don't mind studying all the time but I just want to have an idea what the typical student has been putting in as I live in St Pete, I'm married and would probably commute (looks like it's about 40 minutes). I already commute to work in Sarasota for the last 2-3 years so the only thing that bothers me is it does take away from studying / family time.

Do you happen to know if it's one letter rec max? It just says online one premed committee or science letter. I have several good science letters and what I assume is a really good DO letter from a physician who went to Lecom B.

I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to answer questions! This sounds like a great program and the best option for me.

Last edited:
That is awesome thank you for all the info! I've been looking at Lecom and USF but I'm leaning towards Lecom. I know a lot of doctors at work who went there. I like that there's a smaller class size and if you perform well it sounds like there is a much higher chance of acceptance vs other programs. You say studying all the time. How much would you say you have been studying roughly? I don't mind studying all the time but I just want to have an idea what the typical student has been putting in as I live in St Pete, I'm married and would probably commute (looks like it's about 40 minutes). I already commute to work in Sarasota for the last 2-3 years so the only thing that bothers me is it does take away from studying / family time.

Do you happen to know if it's one letter rec max? It just says online one premed committee or science letter. I have several good science letters and what I assume is a really good DO letter from a physician who went to Lecom B.

I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to answer questions!
No problem, I have a quiz in an hour but I'll try to answer everything. I actually went to undergrad in Tampa, so I applied to USF and LECOMB's programs. USF accepts 10-20% of the class into their medical school, although that number will probably go down because of the new school (the competition to get into MCM is next to impossible, probably a top 10 difficulty ranking right now.) They say that within 1-2 years of graduating from the USF program, around 80% of their class was accepted to some kind of medical school. But yeah LECOMB is 80% right away.

When I say studying all the time, I mean really every day. You can definitely take Friday nights, or Saturday evenings off, but it depends on how fast you can synthesize the material. I relaxed a lot over this past 4th weekend, only because we had just finished a big exam. But like this weekend, and today, I will not be taking any breaks, or at least no big breaks.

There are actually some students who currently commute from Sarasota/St. Pete/Tampa, and as far as I know they are handling the program fine. I would definitely suggest living closer though.

But my typical day is like this:

Wake up: 6:00 am

on campus by 7:00 am, study till class starts

Class is usually over by 12 on Monday/weds/friday(Fridays we have class also 1-3, but its usually really short) , and 10 am on tues/thurs(we're supposed to have class from 10:15- 12 too, but things changed)

Relax/ eat lunch, and start studying on campus by 12/1pm, or go to local Starbucks.

Study until 5/6pm, get dinner(like an hour break), then start again and finish around 9/10pm. Relax until 11/12am.

Rinse, repeat.

Like I said, then on Fridays, or after a big exam, we might go out to Sarasota/St. Pete/Tampa. But honestly, people will also relax a little some evenings, cause the program really is intense, and it can get tiresome working all the time.

I just applied with one letter.

*** To do well in the program, you have to either have really good time management/study skills, or you have to sacrifice family/friends time. I barely have time to call/talk to my undergraduate friends, or even my parents. The school emphasizes book learning, as PBL is based around learning from books, so it's not just relying on ppts, but really spending time picking out facts from book, that actually do help you learn/understand material. That part takes a lot of time (you get better at it rather quickly), but its why LECOMB students have outstanding board scores.

There are about 20 or more predents. Getting into the Dental school is not easy though, they really want a higher DAT, their Dental school is quickly becoming one of the best in the nation. I do not have the answer to the grade replacement. Yes you can use the same letters of recommendation that you use for the professional schools, or at least many of the people in the class did.
There is still a linkage, right? If I get accepted into the program and do decently (>3.3) and have like a 20 DAT I should be fine? Thank you for your replies!

No problem, I have a quiz in an hour but I'll try to answer everything. I actually went to undergrad in Tampa, so I applied to USF and LECOMB's programs. USF accepts 10-20% of the class into their medical school, although that number will probably go down because of the new school (the competition to get into MCM is next to impossible, probably a top 10 difficulty ranking right now.) They say that within 1-2 years of graduating from the USF program, around 80% of their class was accepted to some kind of medical school. But yeah LECOMB is 80% right away.

When I say studying all the time, I mean really every day. You can definitely take Friday nights, or Saturday evenings off, but it depends on how fast you can synthesize the material. I relaxed a lot over this past 4th weekend, only because we had just finished a big exam. But like this weekend, and today, I will not be taking any breaks, or at least no big breaks.

There are actually some students who currently commute from Sarasota/St. Pete/Tampa, and as far as I know they are handling the program fine. I would definitely suggest living closer though.

But my typical day is like this:

Wake up: 6:00 am

on campus by 7:00 am, study till class starts

Class is usually over by 12 on Monday/weds/friday(Fridays we have class also 1-3, but its usually really short) , and 10 am on tues/thurs(we're supposed to have class from 10:15- 12 too, but things changed)

Relax/ eat lunch, and start studying on campus by 12/1pm, or go to local Starbucks.

Study until 5/6pm, get dinner(like an hour break), then start again and finish around 9/10pm. Relax until 11/12am.

Rinse, repeat.

Like I said, then on Fridays, or after a big exam, we might go out to Sarasota/St. Pete/Tampa. But honestly, people will also relax a little some evenings, cause the program really is intense, and it can get tiresome working all the time.

I just applied with one letter.

*** To do well in the program, you have to either have really good time management/study skills, or you have to sacrifice family/friends time. I barely have time to call/talk to my undergraduate friends, or even my parents. The school emphasizes book learning, as PBL is based around learning from books, so it's not just relying on ppts, but really spending time picking out facts from book, that actually do help you learn/understand material. That part takes a lot of time (you get better at it rather quickly), but its why LECOMB students have outstanding board scores.

When you applied, how strong was your letter of recommendation? Do you think that the letter is something they look at heavily when deciding to accept or deny you?

4 minutes ago
+ QuoteReply

When you applied, how strong was your letter of recommendation? Do you think that the letter is something they look at heavily when deciding to accept or deny you?

4 minutes ago
+ QuoteReply
Hey! I don't completely remember which letter's I sent, but they were from Professors with whom I had multiple classes with in undergrad, and did research with. So the letter or letters were pretty strong. I don't know the answer to that question either, but I'd say it is a difference maker between two candidates who otherwise are similar. Best thing I can suggest is applying now, researching the school, and explaining in your personal statement why LECOMB is the school you want to be at, and how the masters program is going to help you show you can succeed. It's not just for a second chance, but also a means to become a better student and eventual Physician.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone applied yet? I've been holding off on submitting bc South Florida is in crisis mode and I wanted to call the school to clarify some things about the application. Not sure how to fill out the question about if you've taken the SAT. Yes I did like 12 years ago and I don't recall my scores.

@Nikj When you submitted your letters do you remember if you had your writers specifically recommended you for the masters program? I have several letters I could use but they're recommendations for medical school.

Has anyone applied yet? I've been holding off on submitting bc South Florida is in crisis mode and I wanted to call the school to clarify some things about the application. Not sure how to fill out the question about if you've taken the SAT. Yes I did like 12 years ago and I don't recall my scores.

@Nikj When you submitted your letters do you remember if you had your writers specifically recommended you for the masters program? I have several letters I could use but they're recommendations for medical school.
From what other students told me, you can use the same letters for med school for the masters program. I think it says it somewhere in the application actually. Ya all schools down here are closed until at least next Tuesday. You can probably call on Wednesday or Thursday next week.

From what other students told me, you can use the same letters for med school for the masters program. I think it says it somewhere in the application actually. Ya all schools down here are closed until at least next Tuesday. You can probably call on Wednesday or Thursday next week.

Awesome. Yeah on their letter requirement it says to recommend specifically for the masters but I figure a rec for medical school in general works as well. I'll give them a call when things settle down. I assume you're down in Bradenton at the moment. Stay safe and thanks for the info. We have to evacuate bc we live close to the water and are in the worst flood zone. But it's crazy bc my wife has to be at work to report on the hurricane and I have to eventually go to the hospital.

Awesome. Yeah on their letter requirement it says to recommend specifically for the masters but I figure a rec for medical school in general works as well. I'll give them a call when things settle down. I assume you're down in Bradenton at the moment. Stay safe and thanks for the info. We have to evacuate bc we live close to the water and are in the worst flood zone. But it's crazy bc my wife has to be at work to report on the hurricane and I have to eventually go to the hospital.
Ya a few of us students are stuck down here, thank you very much, and I hope you and your wife stay safe in the storm! PM once things are back to normal next week, I'll try to be more helpful.

Just applied for the next class. Originally applied for DO program:
2.98 gpa
3.7 post-bacc science gpa
3.72 MBA gpa
506 MCAT
Haven't heard anything in terms of interview invite so decided I would try this route. Anyone else applying for the 2018 July start time?

I applied and was accepted this week. There's another thread for this program so I'm not really sure where people are coming to get advice.

Rejected. Good Luck to all
Probably due to lower undergrad GPA. The Admissions Committee did not give any reason as to why. But best of luck to everyone taking this route.

I applied and was accepted this week. There's another thread for this program so I'm not really sure where people are coming to get advice.
How long did it take for you to hear back?

My application was confirmed on Sep 15 and I was an accept on Oct 2. I don't think they wait that long usually because when I submitted mine, the admissions director was on medical leave so they had to wait about a week. I would say it shouldn't take more than a week or 2.

My status changed to tell me they've made a decision on my application. Would it be acceptable to call and ask about it? I know some people have done that before but I wasn't sure.

My status changed to tell me they've made a decision on my application. Would it be acceptable to call and ask about it? I know some people have done that before but I wasn't sure.
Hey, this is what I did and they were generous enough to give me the update over the phone. Give them a call and they should be able to give you the answer.

Hey, this is what I did and they were generous enough to give me the update over the phone. Give them a call and they should be able to give you the answer.
I called and the woman forwarded me to the director, but then the phone was cut off on me. I called again and was sent to a voicemail lol. I decided to email the coordinator who was working with me and he said he hasn't spoken to admissions directly but he will let me know if he finds out.

I called and the woman forwarded me to the director, but then the phone was cut off on me. I called again and was sent to a voicemail lol. I decided to email the coordinator who was working with me and he said he hasn't spoken to admissions directly but he will let me know if he finds out.
Good luck!

did you guys send all transcript or just primary like the application asks for? Also, do you guys know of anybody that got in with a below 3.0 science gpa? also do they use grade replacement for GPA calculation

someone told me that 700 people applied for 70 seats last year... is that accurate?