LECOM Bradenton Masters of Medical Sciences, 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did you ask them why? what were your stats?
The wouldn't say why since the ADCOM does not give a reason for rejection. 2.98 undergrad GPA. 3.7 GPA for MBA. 506 MCAT. Former Marine sniper, tons of volunteer and clinical hours, currently work as a medical technologist for a major hospital in the Tampa area. But obviously my undergrad grades were not great, probably why they said no.

Members don't see this ad.

Just completed my application today hopefully I'll get a response soon. It took me a while to get my letter of recommendation unfortunately, so I'm a little late in the cycle :(
what were your stats???!

what were your stats???!
3/8 - sent most of my application (only missing my LOR)
4/18 - sent in my LOR and completed my app
4/24 - saw the message in the portal about them making a decision
4/27 - received my letter of acceptance in the mail (I live in Florida so mine may have been quicker than the usual)

Stats
cGPA: 3.45 (with grade forgiveness, not sure what it is without)
sGPA: 3.28 (3.07 without grade forgiveness)
MCAT: 499

I messed up two 5 credit science classes in the beginning of my undergrad but retook them and did fairly well. I've been on an uphill trend lately and I'm hoping to continue during the program. I'm currently on track to retake the MCAT June 30th, but since the program starts June 13th I'm not sure if I can. I know some people will be banking on the 3.0 GPA & interview, but for me I want to have possible options in case I don't get into LECOM's DO program.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is still a linkage, right? If I get accepted into the program and do decently (>3.3) and have like a 20 DAT I should be fine? Thank you for your replies!
If you already have a 20 DAT I wouldn't recommend doing the program..unless your undergrad GPA is really low or you have a red flag in your application somewhere. I'm a predent in the program currently and got accepted elsewhere and will not be finishing off the program because of how poorly run it is as I have observed over the semester. Too bad because I had high hopes for this school and really loves FL that's why I decided on the program. However, overall is think this program is worth it for the DOs route and not so much on the dental route.

Reactions: 1 users
If you already have a 20 DAT I wouldn't recommend doing the program..unless your undergrad GPA is really low or you have a red flag in your application somewhere. I'm a predent in the program currently and got accepted elsewhere and will not be finishing off the program because of how poorly run it is as I have observed over the semester. Too bad because I had high hopes for this school and really loves FL that's why I decided on the program. However, overall is think this program is worth it for the DOs route and not so much on the dental route.

what dont you like about the program??? also, im DO not dental. im interested in lecom brandentons PBL DO program specifically

Hey you guys are applying for next Fall entry correct? Does this program have linkage to their DO school & when is the deadline to apply? Im registered for the march 26th MCAT and scores come out May 1st.. wondering if that is late to apply?

Hey you guys are applying for next Fall entry correct? Does this program have linkage to their DO school & when is the deadline to apply? Im registered for the march 26th MCAT and scores come out May 1st.. wondering if that is late to apply?
The semester stars June 11th. I think with most types of these questions, your biggest enemy in applying will be the amount of acceptances already at that time. I would reach out to the admissions director and find out how late they continue to accept applicants. Alternatively, you can apply with SAT and uGPA.

And to answer your second question, they do not have a "direct linkage" but for those that have good GPAs (3.4 and above), I have heard that as long as you're not completely ignorant in the interview, you'll rollover with an acceptance just fine. Students who have a 3.0 at least by the end of the Spring semester get an interview.

And to answer your second question, they do not have a "direct linkage" but for those that have good GPAs (3.4 and above), I have heard that as long as you're not completely ignorant in the interview, you'll rollover with an acceptance just fine. Students who have a 3.0 at least by the end of the Spring semester get an interview.

Thank you for the info i will definitely contact them! If a good GPA is maintained do you start the year following the end of the masters or do you have to wait a gap year?

Thank you for the info i will definitely contact them! If a good GPA is maintained do you start the year following the end of the masters or do you have to wait a gap year?
No gap year. You get an interview in the Spring semester for the following year's start.

Reactions: 1 user
did you get in?!?
do you guys think that hal soloman is on the admissions commitee if he is the coordinator for it?!
Sorry for the late response. I'm currently in the Masters program, and will be finishing it up in the spring. Mr. Solomon is the program coordinator, but I don't believe he is on the committee, although he could be. He's probably the best person to be in contact with if you have any application questions about applying. If you have any for me, please feel free to ask.

Sorry for the late response. I'm currently in the Masters program, and will be finishing it up in the spring. Mr. Solomon is the program coordinator, but I don't believe he is on the committee, although he could be. He's probably the best person to be in contact with if you have any application questions about applying. If you have any for me, please feel free to ask.

yeah!! thanks for your reply. is there anything that you dont like about the program? and do you mind sharing your stats

do you guys think that hal soloman is on the admissions commitee if he is the coordinator for it?!
yeah!! thanks for your reply. is there anything that you dont like about the program? and do you mind sharing your stats
Also a current student (& most likely not finishing out), and yes I spoke with him during pre-dents day and he said that he's in charge of the program this coming up year. He said he reads all the essays and look at the stats and all that good stuff so it seems like he definitely has a say from what it sounds like. Super nice guy. DM for any specifics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also a current student (& most likely not finishing out), and yes I spoke with him during pre-dents day and he said that he's in charge of the program this coming up year. He said he reads all the essays and look at the stats and all that good stuff so it seems like he definitely has a say from what it sounds like. Super nice guy. DM for any specifics.

yeah i thought he was really pleasant and VERY professional. why arent you finishing out!???!?1 did you get in somehwere else??

do you guys know anybody that had the stats and interviewed that didnt get in

The wouldn't say why since the ADCOM does not give a reason for rejection. 2.98 undergrad GPA. 3.7 GPA for MBA. 506 MCAT. Former Marine sniper, tons of volunteer and clinical hours, currently work as a medical technologist for a major hospital in the Tampa area. But obviously my undergrad grades were not great, probably why they said no.

maybe it was the marine sniper thing

Sorry to revive an older thread, but can anyone who was accepted to this program give a quick rundown of their experience? I've heard both good and bad reviews of LECOM-B, but am still considering the Masters program for my gap year.

I'm applying this year, can you please share success rate, how doable is the program?
Hey there! I'm in the Masters program right now and we just interviewed this week. We started with ~85 and now have ~70 students in the program. I think 23 are dental and the rest DO. The program is definitely very challenging (Biochem 1&2, Cellular and Molecular Biology, Genetics, Anatomy, Pathophysiology 1&2, Pharmacology, Immunology, Microbiology and one easy A course Public Health and Preventative Medicine) but it's doable if you put in the work. Everyone needed a 3.0 to interview. Dental required at least a 3.2 GPA and assuming a good interview to be accepted (we don't know who's been accepted yet or not) and DO did not have any specific GPA requirements to guarantee acceptance.

Sorry to revive an older thread, but can anyone who was accepted to this program give a quick rundown of their experience? I've heard both good and bad reviews of LECOM-B, but am still considering the Masters program for my gap year.
It's challenging but I would recommend it! See my response below.

Hey there! I'm in the Masters program right now and we just interviewed this week. We started with ~85 and now have ~70 students in the program. I think 23 are dental and the rest DO. The program is definitely very challenging (Biochem 1&2, Cellular and Molecular Biology, Genetics, Anatomy, Pathophysiology 1&2, Pharmacology, Immunology, Microbiology and one easy A course Public Health and Preventative Medicine) but it's doable if you put in the work. Everyone needed a 3.0 to interview. Dental required at least a 3.2 GPA and assuming a good interview to be accepted (we don't know who's been accepted yet or not) and DO did not have any specific GPA requirements to guarantee acceptance.

Thank for the comment on the MMS. I applied and am waiting on admission. Do you know when the first round of acceptances are send out? Thanks again. :)

Is it true that the Dental group takes a slightly different anatomy class than the DO? Also, I see that your numbers are better than the Erie PA program (they also just switched from the Post-bacc to the MMS this upcoming year 2019). Are the ~70 students in the program all above 3.0 -3.2, or are some of them pushing hard this semester to stay up-float?

Also, what advise do you have for studying for such an intense program? What makes some do better than the others...? I find that interesting. Thank you!

Thank for the comment on the MMS. I applied and am waiting on admission. Do you know when the first round of acceptances are send out? Thanks again. :)
Im not sure when the first round of acceptances went out. I submitted my application the day it opened in September and I think I had a response in October/November. I think it might be rolling admission? But don't quote me on that.

Is it true that the Dental group takes a slightly different anatomy class than the DO? Also, I see that your numbers are better than the Erie PA program (they also just switched from the Post-bacc to the MMS this upcoming year 2019). Are the ~70 students in the program all above 3.0 -3.2, or are some of them pushing hard this semester to stay up-float?

Also, what advise do you have for studying for such an intense program? What makes some do better than the others...? I find that interesting. Thank you!

No, I'm not sure where that rumor came from. All MMS students take the same courses, regardless of med/dental track.

No, not everyone is in the 3.0-3.2 range but most are. Most people are still trying to stay afloat regardless of GPA because there is no guaranteed GPA for acceptance (although they've implied a 3.2 for dental and 3.4 in med have been sufficient in the past).

As far as advice goes, just stay on top of the work. It's easy to say and hard to do. The program proceeds at a rapid pace and you really can't afford to put classes on the back-burner while studying for other courses. Honestly, I'm constantly studying. Every day before and after class and definitely all weekend long. If you manage your time well you may have a little time to relax occasionally but I wouldn't count on it consistently. I think the people that are doing the best in the program are literally studying every day, all day long. It is definitely possible but it's a lot of work.

Edit: Also, buy the books/use the books in the library/the free PDFs from former MMS students because you will be reading them A LOT. You might be able to get by in a couple classes without the book bc the lectures will be sufficient but I find that I end up teaching myself a lot by reading the chapters. Also, you need them for PBL anyway so get them if you can or use the PDFs if you want to save $ and don't mind reading a textbook off your computer/tablet.