Leaving residency for MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F@milyMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to leave my residency to earn an MBA.

Any advice as to some good programs near NY.

How many years are MBA programs generally.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I have decided to leave my residency to earn an MBA.

Any advice as to some good programs near NY.

How many years are MBA programs generally.

Thanks in advance

Why not simply finish residency, get a board certification and then go to B-school?

I have to agree with LaDoc on this one ... at least get certified so if you want to return at a later point. There are a ton of MBA programs in new york. That site should help you narrow down what you are looking for. Also new york is a huge state so they have schools throughout NY as I wasn't sure if you were looking for an answer like Columbia (ivy) or something like SUNY.

Members don't see this ad :)
finish your residency.

so you decided to quit residency to pursue an MBA without even knowing how long it takes to get one? that's a little odd.

so you decided to quit residency to pursue an MBA without even knowing how long it takes to get one? that's a little odd.

read between the lines: something very very bad happened in his/her residency...needs exit.

If you have no prior business training or experience, an MBA from a reputable school* generally takes 2 years. If your undergrad was in business, you should be able to finish the program in one year. If the two-year option is too long for you, there are some schools that offer a stripped-down version of business school in the form of a master's in management science. These programs take only one year to complete and are meant for people with no formal business training or work experience. I can't comment on programs in the New York area.

*Read, not online diploma mills that you get spam advertisements about.

"read between the lines: something very very bad happened in his/her residency...needs exit."

You left out a "very". LADICk00.

Thanks for advice the rest of you....I am so close I probably will finish my training. After that however, no way I'm gonna become an attending. So many of my attendings are so miserable.

Wall-street is calling my name lately. I'm afraid that I have done my soul-searching, a little too late (in my third year of residency) and I will be pursuing Ibanking. An MBA will give me some good background since my undergrad was premed.

:sleep:

Why don't you get some consulting or something along those lines? or work part time while you get yoru MBA, that way you can at least get more experience which would only help you in the long run picture if you try to go into a healthcare related field. Also keep you in touch with medicine as well ... that is if you aren't to jaded to stay.

Not only should you finish your residency, make sure you sit for the boards to get board-certified. You've gone through 4 years of med school, almost 3 years of residency, you'd be nuts not to get board certified. Also, residency life sucks a55, it does get better when you're out. I do both clincal and medical directorship for an insurance company...it's best to keep your options open. Yes, I get paid much more as a physician executive, but its not for everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not only should you finish your residency, make sure you sit for the boards to get board-certified. You've gone through 4 years of med school, almost 3 years of residency, you'd be nuts not to get board certified. Also, residency life sucks a55, it does get better when you're out. I do both clincal and medical directorship for an insurance company...it's best to keep your options open. Yes, I get paid much more as a physician executive, but its not for everyone.

Could you provide a little more information about how you broke into the field of working for an insurance company as a director?

Does anybody know how to get involved with consulting, what it pays, and if it is possible to do that just with a state license and not a board certification?

I left anesthesiology and am going back to do pathology; I am interested in learning about the business side of path (lab management, quality control, etc) and the application of advanced business degrees to that specialty.

Thanks for any help!

Could you provide a little more information about how you broke into the field of working for an insurance company as a director?

Does anybody know how to get involved with consulting, what it pays, and if it is possible to do that just with a state license and not a board certification?

I left anesthesiology and am going back to do pathology; I am interested in learning about the business side of path (lab management, quality control, etc) and the application of advanced business degrees to that specialty.

Thanks for any help!
From my point of view, it really is who you know. As I network more, there seems to be opportunities for executive work all around, and yet the average clinical physician will never know such opportunities exists. We (a medical director association I belong to) literally email each other about job opportunities and to submit names of people we know who might be interested.
In short, you still have to be qualified, but you also have to network like crazy in the beginning.

Thanks familyMD.

I would love to hear more about what a clincial/medical director does.

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post.

From my point of view, it really is who you know. As I network more, there seems to be opportunities for executive work all around, and yet the average clinical physician will never know such opportunities exists. We (a medical director association I belong to) literally email each other about job opportunities and to submit names of people we know who might be interested.
In short, you still have to be qualified, but you also have to network like crazy in the beginning.

Can you explain further what you mean by "qualified"?

Does this involve simple state licensure (which I have fulfilled), or is board certification an absolute must?

Thanks!

Can you explain further what you mean by "qualified"?

Does this involve simple state licensure (which I have fulfilled), or is board certification an absolute must?

Thanks!

Well, got LOTS of PM's so I'll answer some here so I don't keep getting PM'd. "Qualified" means you need to have experience in the insurance world and some clinical experience. w/r/t salary, the average starting salary for an insurance medical director is $200k, goes up from there. Keep in mind this is a less than 40hr/work week.
some one asked what exactly a med director for insurance company does. lots of tasks...may review appeals for pharmacy exceptions, dme exceptions, admission drg's, place of service requests. there's more but those are the major roles. that's the beginning med director, you can move up to CMO, CEO, etc.
interesting that so many students are already looking at non-clinical jobs....

Well, got LOTS of PM's so I'll answer some here so I don't keep getting PM'd. "Qualified" means you need to have experience in the insurance world and some clinical experience. w/r/t salary, the average starting salary for an insurance medical director is $200k, goes up from there. Keep in mind this is a less than 40hr/work week.
some one asked what exactly a med director for insurance company does. lots of tasks...may review appeals for pharmacy exceptions, dme exceptions, admission drg's, place of service requests. there's more but those are the major roles. that's the beginning med director, you can move up to CMO, CEO, etc.
interesting that so many students are already looking at non-clinical jobs....

how does one gain entry into the insurance world to gain some experience, and is completion of a residency/board eligibility a must in the insurance world?

how does one gain entry into the insurance world to gain some experience, and is completion of a residency/board eligibility a must in the insurance world?

bump to FamilyMD

One utilizes his creativity!

FamilyMED

Do you have your MBA?

Is one (MBA) necessary in order to obtain a medical directorship position?

Thanks

FamilyMED

Do you have your MBA?

Is one (MBA) necessary in order to obtain a medical directorship position?

Thanks

Yes, I have a healthcare Admin MBA. While not mandatory, MBA's are definitely helpful in securing non-clinical executive-type jobs.

Yes, I have a healthcare Admin MBA. While not mandatory, MBA's are definitely helpful in securing non-clinical executive-type jobs.

(if you don't mind sharing) which school did u get your MBA from?