Learning materials for 1st year fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kemien

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 1st year GI fellow feeling completely clueless so far.
I've been trying to read Sleisenger but it is dense and I'm not finding it practical.

What are people using to study at this stage?
I'm intrigued by DDSEP9 but it's still 300$ for a trainee for the books + qbanks. I don't mind paying for it but I am unable to even find even a preview on line before buying it.
Is it a good ressource for building knowledge base at my stage? Or is it more a review for final year fellows before ABIM or staff going for recert?
If not, what other ressources apart from guidelines would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the learning is on the job. Read the guidelines from the major societies. Read about every patient you encounter. I didn't read S&F unless it was a topic I was interested in or was really clueless in, was presenting grand rounds or writing a paper. Probably got thru a quarter at most during fellowship, and I'd guess that was more than most. Keep abreast with review articles and guidelines/ practice updates as they come. In your down time start with DDSEP- it is underrated and not dense.

Reactions: 1 user
Sleisenger just to look up select topics. Mayo board review is better but it's still very long and not so good for actually clinical decision making. DDSEP is good because it's concise, but it's heavy on esoteric things which I presume could be on boards. I think UpToDate and ACG, AGA and ASGE guidelines are the best, with on the job learning. NCCN for GI malignancy.

I think ACG grand rounds and prior post graduate course lecture videos have been good because you can watch a video even if you come home and feel tired. Though it can be hard to retain information if you don't link a video/reading with a patient you saw it will see in clinic, in my opinion.

I haven't really used it much but for early first year fellows Yamada's handbook (not text or atlas) could be good and Cotton's would be good for scoping education.