GI Attendings / Fellows Are you Happy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtb702

Reaction score
Simple question from a medical student trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. I am on GI right now and am enjoying it so my question is simple. Are you happy with your decision? Why or why not?

Thank you for responding.

Members don't see this ad.

I love GI because I feel it's the best of all worlds and gives the best balance. I didn't want to commit completely to surgery but I didn't want to give up on procedures altogether either, I wanted a more reasonable lifestyle but I didnt want to go completely the whole way to do something cush or boring like rheumatology or endocrine, and I didn't want to get into a really intense brutal lifelong specialty like interventional cardiology taking stemi call. Emergencies in GI are usually on the order of within 12 to 24 hours not 60 to 90 minutes. I wanted to have reasonable pay so I can pay off my student loan debt to not be paying off my student loans at the age of 65 and renting until the age of 50 and I can have my elderly immigrant dad not have to keep working his minimum wage job in chronic pain. I love GI because I feel like gives the best overall balance between procedures intellectual consultative and cerebral skill as well as overall balance of lifestyle with reasonable pay. You'll love it too. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think work environment (particularly pressure to make RVUs) and personal temperament have more to do with being happy than the specialty. So keep that in mind as you decide what a future that makes your happy looks like.

Definitely happy! GI is an excellent field, but keep in mind you will find happy and unhappy people in every field. There's great work-life balance (in my opinion), procedures AND complex medical decision making (great mix of the best parts of surgery and medicine in my opinion), and the pay is excellent. It's a long and competitive road to get to attendinghood, but I wouldn't have chosen anything else.

Reactions: 1 user