Late to the Party

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyAboutMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice as to whether I should apply this year or next year.

Took the MCAT recently for the first time and waiting for results.

Originally was going to apply while waiting for my results but after sitting for the test I MUST wait for my results.

My practice exam average was between a 30-31 but I was definitely off my game on test day. Tired, nervous and generally felt like I had no idea what was going on. Already signed up for a retake in August.

My question is, am I too late to apply this year, with no MCAT retake? With a retake in August or latest 9/12?

About me:
URM, Non-trad
Sci and Cum GPA both 3.6+
Approved for FAP.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My experience:

I submitted my AMCAS App extremely late (October). It wasn't verified until November. Then I was in hustle mode to get the secondaries out. Though I received numerous interviews, the application process was incredibly stressful because I had to wait until Jan - Mar to interview. Frankly interviewing that late always felt like interviewing for a waitlist spot.

I was a successful applicant without worrying about being accepted off of a waitlist, but I would never ever do that again. I'm pretty sure it also cost me acceptance at my top choice too.

Others will have different opinions...

Without a retake - you should be okay so long as you submit your app by August 1. Remember it's going to take 4-6 weeks to verify before schools get it. Therefore while early applicants are getting invites for Sept and Oct interviews you'll only be getting secondaries. The most time efficient thing to do is pre-write all of your secondary essays while you're waiting to be verified.

With a retake - sounds like your time line will resemble mine. Very risky. I say it's risky because being a reapplicant due to a late AMCAS app is just a waste of money and time. Plus you'd have to redraft your PS and all of those secondary essays again.

Go for retakes, you never know you can do better in the retake with full preparation.