Any URM success with late AAMC primary app submission? (july,august, september)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carterjt47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on submitting my primary app around mid July. I heard in other threads that July submissions are considered late. I'm kindly asking any URM if they had any success with acceptances when applying later in the application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you're submitting at that point due to a mcat? July really isn't that late though. From what I have read people have had success. Keep in mind your application still needs to be verified. You can bypass this by submitting to 1 random school as soon as it opens.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted mid-August and I've been decently successful. If I had to re-do the application cycle, however, I'd definitely avoid this.

Members don't see this ad :)
July isn't late but make sure it's verified by then so you just have to update the MCAT. The most stressful part is the verification portion cause it can take sooooo long especially if you are verifying later.

I plan on submitting my primary app around mid July. I heard in other threads that July submissions are considered late. I'm kindly asking any URM if they had any success with acceptances when applying later in the application cycle.

I had my first app complete around 8/26 and latest app 9/20. I had 14 interview invites out of 21 apps. I wouldn't say July is late, especially if it because of an MCAT score and you have everything complete prior.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted around September 23 and was completed at most place first week of October. I have had more than 10+ interviews and multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
Current non-trad M3 at my state med school. I submitted mid-August and was verified in early October. I didn't submit any secondaries until a few weeks after that. I was pretty broke at the time so I only applied to 4 schools, received 2 interviews and eventually, 2 acceptances. I don't recommend applying so narrowly as it was pretty risky, but it did work out fine for me.

I had my primary app submitted on 7/8 and it was verified 8 days later. I had my 1st secondary come in a few days after that (19 total) and submitted them all within 3 days (PREWRITE EVERY ESSAY!!) My last Secondary I submitted in October (running low on $$ and had to wait for pay days). Over all my cycle has been good as I have had 7 interviews. I still wish I would have submitted my primary in June instead of July.

I didn't submit my primary until the 3rd week of July. Way later than I would have wanted to, mostly because I waited until after I took the MCAT ( mid June) to start working on my PS and activities. It was verified mid August. Even my secondaries were late because my letter packet wasn't submitted until late September! I submitted the latest secondary in mid October (was still accepted). Despite my life long issue with procrastination, I received 11 interview invites and 4 acceptances so far.

Submitted my primary in late October. Two interviews out of four schools. Accepted at one and no news from the other.

I definitely wish I applied earlier but it worked out for me.

I submitted early July. I received 3 interviews and 2 acceptances. Good luck

You guys are so inspiring.

I won't be taking the MCAT until June 30, so my app won't be complete until I get the scores back august 1st. Not familiar with how long it takes to get verified, but im guessing it takes 1-2 weeks. So I'm probably looking at a mid-august submission.

I hope I can get in!

You guys are so inspiring.

I won't be taking the MCAT until June 30, so my app won't be complete until I get the scores back august 1st. Not familiar with how long it takes to get verified, but im guessing it takes 1-2 weeks. So I'm probably looking at a mid-august submission.

I hope I can get in!

During peak times (which I think are July-August) it can take up to 6 weeks to get verified by AMCAS so keep that in mind. I applied super late (mid-Oct) and it only took a week to get verified but that was likely because I was one of few fools to be submitting so late. Also, you can submit before you take the MCAT. There are pros and cons to this but it is an option.

While I in no way would ever recommend applying as late as I did (please no one put yourself through that, PLEASE!), I did get 5 II and 2 acceptances so far (I have yet to hear from 3 schools, the interviews were fairly recent and adcoms have not met yet).

Best of luck to you and remember, you can do this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Plan to submit by Labor Day. Near the beginning of the application cycle decision-making process, schools are busy preparing materials for the incoming M1s. So if you have to submit slightly late, August-early September is the latest.

I submitted around September 23 and was completed at most place first week of October. I have had more than 10+ interviews and multiple acceptances.
Wow. Sept 23 is considered late according to some SDNers,but high stats can make up for it though right?

Wow. Sept 23 is considered late according to some SDNers,but high stats can make up for it though right?
Not only high stats also being a sought after applicant also mitigates that. Being a URM makes you more sought after because they are so few of us .

Bump. It turns out that September is the best available time for me to apply. Please any URM SDNers let me know your experience applying this time for reference. Please and thank you.

Not sure what bump means lol

but i am planning to submit on July 7th

I applied late both cycles I applied, both September. Applied 5-6 schools, only got 1 interview invite each time, and was waitlisted both times. The earlier the better. It's hard to say but it's likely I would have had more interviews if I applied earlier and maybe not have been waitlisted first. It worked out in the end but it was a bit of an unnecessary gamble and my options were ultimately limited.

I applied late both cycles I applied, both September. Applied 5-6 schools, only got 1 interview invite each time, and was waitlisted both times. The earlier the better. It's hard to say but it's likely I would have had more interviews if I applied earlier and maybe not have been waitlisted first. It worked out in the end but it was a bit of an unnecessary gamble and my options were ultimately limited.
Do you care to share what your stats was btw?

cGPA 3.3
science GPA 3.1
MCATs: 25, 31, 506
1000+ clinical work experience
70+ clinical volunteering
15+ clinical shadowing
Both interview invites were from in state schools

I applied late due to having difficulty getting the LORs.

did you apply last cycle?
I would like to retake my MCAT at the end of august./ early sept.

I have a 3.8c and 3.7s
one publication 4th author
1500 hours of clinical
200 shadowing
3200hrs of work experience at one job
lots of other leadership roles

what do you think my chances are If I would be complete at late sept/ early oct?

did you apply last cycle?
I would like to retake my MCAT at the end of august./ early sept.

I have a 3.8c and 3.7s
one publication 4th author
1500 hours of clinical
200 shadowing
3200hrs of work experience at one job
lots of other leadership roles

what do you think my chances are If I would be complete at late sept/ early oct?
Great depending on your MCAT which if it's over 506 I don't recommend you taking it over

Great depending on your MCAT which if it's over 506 I don't recommend you taking it over

thank YOU! these over neurotic people on here crush hopes and dreams, but not you my friend!

Thank you :)

thank YOU! these over neurotic people on here crush hopes and dreams, but not you my friend!

Thank you :)
honestly you have a amazing chance at medical school , if you score a 502 + you have a shot of getting into most medical school. get a 506+ you can apply to any school in the country ! A 3.8/3.7 with the experience you have plus being a URM is very very sought after , I realize this myself from my application cycle.

Yes I applied last cycle. If I can get in you certainly can :) I second the others your stats are great.

Bump/update. Anyone applied Aug, Sep, and Oct 2017 and got interviews and acceptances?

I was complete at 9 schools in late August/early September. I received 5 interviews: 1 in October, 1 in November, 2 in December, 1 in January. Accepted to 1 school, waitlisted at 1, declined 1 interview, and waiting to hear from 2 still. )
Did you have high stats btw 3.5+ gpa 510+ MCAT?

I submitted in July, was complete in August, and sent in secondaries from late September until late October. I had a good bit of success with 9 II but I really recommend doing everything as early as you can. Although you can still be successful if you complete later, it delays the whole process. The waiting game is rough and I could've made it easier on myself by submitting earlier.

I submitted in July, was verified in August, and sent secondaries from August until October. I've had 7 interviews and have 6 acceptances so far. But also NoMD4Me said, it is so so so much better if you submit early. Having interviews in December and January isn't very fun and if you submit early, you might be able to avoid that. My biggest suggestion is to pre-write all your secondaries and start writing your 15 activities and 3 meaningfuls now. Those two things delayed my application and just made everything so much more stressful.

I submitted in July, was verified in August, and sent secondaries from August until October. I've had 7 interviews and have 6 acceptances so far. But also NoMD4Me said, it is so so so much better if you submit early. Having interviews in December and January isn't very fun and if you submit early, you might be able to avoid that. My biggest suggestion is to pre-write all your secondaries and start writing your 15 activities and 3 meaningfuls now. Those two things delayed my application and just made everything so much more stressful.

hi, Congrats on landing 6 acceptances out of 7 interviews!! :highfive:

just curious MD schools or DO?
gpa mcat and hours??
if you could provide that would help me gauge what my chances are/ friends in the same boat as late app.

hi, Congrats on landing 6 acceptances out of 7 interviews!! :highfive:

just curious MD schools or DO?
gpa mcat and hours??
if you could provide that would help me gauge what my chances are/ friends in the same boat as late app.

Thanks! I’ve quoted my WAMC thread below with my stats:

1. cGPA - 3.65, sGPA ~3.5
  2. MCAT: 510
  3. State of Residence: Indiana
  4. URM - African American (also applying disadvantaged)
  5. Clinical experience: ~90 hours (I am currently interviewing for a volunteer program at a hospital)
  6. Research experience: 2 poster presentations. 2nd author on paper currently in review. 2 summer research programs. ~720 hours
  7. Shadowing experience: ~30 hours with Bariatric Surgeon, saw 4 surgeries, 6 endoscopies, and a day of office work/general appointments.
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: ~120
  9. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. RA for 50 residents during Sophomore year.
    2. 3 years on Student Board that represents our schools foundation (Vice President next year)
    3. TA for 1 semester.
    4. Member of Department of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Advisory Group - met with Dean to give recommendations about the department.
  10. Relevant honors or awards: Semester Honors and Dean List every semester. Received Competitive scholarship in high school. 3 consecutive awards from Black Caucus of Faculty and Staff for academics, service, and leadership.

Do you guys think there is a significant difference between June 30 and July 7 MCAT? I will be submitting my primary on or around June 1 to 1 throwaway. I got accepted to my top choice summer internship this morning, but all students attend a conference during the summer and this year its from June 24-June 26. Initially I was going to take a June 30 MCAT but im worried that might not be wise given this change in circumstances. Based on this thread it seems like I would be okay, my stats are strong otherwise and I have strong EC's. I just want to take the MCAT once and do well haha which is why im not rushing it lol.

Do you guys think there is a significant difference between June 30 and July 7 MCAT? I will be submitting my primary on or around June 1 to 1 throwaway. I got accepted to my top choice summer internship this morning, but all students attend a conference during the summer and this year its from June 24-June 26. Initially I was going to take a June 30 MCAT but im worried that might not be wise given this change in circumstances. Based on this thread it seems like I would be okay, my stats are strong otherwise and I have strong EC's. I just want to take the MCAT once and do well haha which is why im not rushing it lol.

Nah an extra week probably won’t do much. You need to make sure to have all your secondaries pre-written though. As far as moving it back, whatever you feel will get you your highest score you should do.

Nah an extra week probably won’t do much. You need to make sure to have all your secondaries pre-written though. As far as moving it back, whatever you feel will get you your highest score you should do.
Oh yeah I was planning on prewriting my secondaries all throughout July so that when my score comes back in August I will be able to send them back within a few days. I’m only worried about schools like UCLA and UCSF who screen secondaries and how an extra week might affect me/ that.

But like you said in the grand scheme of things if I was meant to get an interview at those schools one week won’t be the deciding factor right? Lol

Thanks! I’ve quoted my WAMC thread below with my stats:

I know this may be considered private information. but what schools where you accepted to. trying to build my list of schools.. for keep anonymity you dont have to list the name of the state school (if you were accepted to one)

Oh yeah I was planning on prewriting my secondaries all throughout July so that when my score comes back in August I will be able to send them back within a few days. I’m only worried about schools like UCLA and UCSF who screen secondaries and how an extra week might affect me/ that.

But like you said in the grand scheme of things if I was meant to get an interview at those schools one week won’t be the deciding factor right? Lol

I think you'll be fine with UCLA, they seem to release secondaries in batches. I didn't get mine until 8/29 along with people who were complete months before me.

I know this may be considered private information. but what schools where you accepted to. trying to build my list of schools.. for keep anonymity you dont have to list the name of the state school (if you were accepted to one)

I'll PM you my list.

I think you'll be fine with UCLA, they seem to release secondaries in batches. I didn't get mine until 8/29 along with people who were complete months before me.

I'll PM you my list.
Okay great, thanks!!

Hi again, jut reviewing this thread, but what were you stats( gpa, mcat & hours)?!?

Hi, Im in a similar situation to Op. I am graduating this spring with a 3.96gpa 4.0 science gpa (elected as a nominee for The position of Valedecotrian of my college). I was wondering if I take the july 7 mcat if I will be ok as in not to late. I plan on submitting my application early june for verfication then updating my mcat on august7 as well as finalizing my school list. Also identifying as a urm (puertorican) and am a new york state resident. Thanks.

Hi, Im in a similar situation to Op. I am graduating this spring with a 3.96gpa 4.0 science gpa (elected as a nominee for The position of Valedecotrian of my college). I was wondering if I take the july 7 mcat if I will be ok as in not to late. I plan on submitting my application early june for verfication then updating my mcat on august7 as well as finalizing my school list. Also identifying as a urm (puertorican) and am a new york state resident. Thanks.

Yes that's definitely fine. The idea is to have your entire application (Secondaries, LOR, etc.) complete by August.

Congrats on the great GPA. Kill the MCAT and you'll be golden.

Yes that's definitely fine. The idea is to have your entire application (Secondaries, LOR, etc.) complete by August.

Congrats on the great GPA. Kill the MCAT and you'll be golden.

To add to this I would say September, (Labor Day) for being fully complete means you are still on time. According to adcoms on here

Bump.....(Thread is relevant for this particular moment)

Anybody still here or nah?

I submitted my primary mid-July. I was verified 8/17 and complete at most schools by 9/5. I received 9 interview invites out of 16 apps (attended 8), and have 4 acceptances, 2 waitlists and 2 TBA thus far. That said, I don't think I was terribly late, as I was still complete at most schools around Labor Day.