Late Texas Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My application was sent to the schools on 7-23, but my pre-med committee letters didn't arrive until 9-2 and I took the August MCAT.

Interviewed at Tech on 10/31
UT Southwestern interview on 11/22

Haven't heard anything from the other schools.

I'm not a TX resident either so perhaps the stigma that TX schools only want TX residents isn't true. I'll keep you updated on the other schools.

Quote from the 2003 MSAR under UT Southwestern Selection Factors:
"State Law requires that at least 90% of the class be residents of Texas. Therefore, the minimum credentials for nonresidents are more stringent than those for Texas residents."

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by EvoDevo
UTMB was the one which pretty much said "No way, Jose." That's cool, at least I won't waste time and energy waiting to hear from them. ;)

Both A&M and Tech were more forthcoming about where my application is in the screening process, and while TCOM wouldn't tell me anything specific, the lady did say that if I hadn't heard anything by the first week in Dec, then I probably had my answer.

As to your last question...post-bacc courses. It's all about the u/grad GPA.

Hope this helps. :)

Evo

hey evo, what exactly did you ask the utmb people? i couldn't seem to get past the receptionist.

I just opened up my mailbox today all depressed since I've gotten nothing but bills and junk and there it was... interview invite from UT Southwestern for 12/13... crappy stats, late application and all :D

Anyone else for that day?

Members don't see this ad :)
i submitted everything on October 1 and they cleared everything around October 20. I got a UTH interview a few days later (for 11/14...i think i saw someone else in here who may have been there on that day
dunno.gif
)

still waiting for some more offers from texas schools...i have one at emory coming up but i'd rather go closer to home
happysad.gif

stats:
29R (11B, 9VR, 9P)
3.45 gpa @ top 20 undergrad
lots of EC (ncaa baseball, etc)
some ME

happysad.gif

Hey lane,

I don't know if you remember me, but I think I met you at the UTH interview. :) Hope yours went well... I wasn't sure what to make of mine!

Originally posted by lilstina
Hey lane,

I don't know if you remember me, but I think I met you at the UTH interview. :) Hope yours went well... I wasn't sure what to make of mine!

i'm the little guy from Emory :) - what's your name? (since no one went by their SDN name :oops: )

mine went pretty well - the first guy i had was an MD in neuro. he was DRY...he pretty much just went down my application and asked questions directly from the paper. the second one was a PhD in surgery and she was AWESOME. she had a great personality and was very complimentary of the school and the people.

i'm sure you did fine though ;) like Dr. Gunn said, it's not a question of whether you'll get in, but rather a question of where you'll chose to go

Yep, I remember you... I'm Christina from Hopkins... there weren't too many of us from out of state schools hehe.

My first guy was a Ph.D really really dry... he just asked me to basically tell him all my ECs and describe them. He also flat out told me my research wasn't interesting to him, which I'm sure was the case because I was fighting not to yawn when he was telling me about his structural biochemistry stuff, but he didn't have to say it like that! :p My second guy was a pediatric endocrinologist MD, pretty cool... the whole thing lasted like 20 mins and it was basically me asking him questions. He didn't even have my file open or take any notes.

I think it went ok though, I'm just worried because I don't feel like I was blowing anyone away and it's been my only interview til now... but yeah you're right, I hope someone accepts me!

Was it someone else from here you thought you remembered from our interview date?

Originally posted by lilstina
Yep, I remember you... I'm Christina from Hopkins... there weren't too many of us from out of state schools hehe.

My first guy was a Ph.D really really dry... he just asked me to basically tell him all my ECs and describe them. He also flat out told me my research wasn't interesting to him, which I'm sure was the case because I was fighting not to yawn when he was telling me about his structural biochemistry stuff, but he didn't have to say it like that! :p My second guy was a pediatric endocrinologist MD, pretty cool... the whole thing lasted like 20 mins and it was basically me asking him questions. He didn't even have my file open or take any notes.

I think it went ok though, I'm just worried because I don't feel like I was blowing anyone away and it's been my only interview til now... but yeah you're right, I hope someone accepts me!

Was it someone else from here you thought you remembered from our interview date?

i dont remember anyone specifically from SDN (especially since i just registered 2 days ago)...i just remember a lot of people - especially us out-of-staters ;) - and that a bunch of people were talking about SDN

My application was sent to schools on 11-05 by TMDSAS. My secondaries were already in with everything else.

11-21st I received a invite for interview on 12-08