Late Texas Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LPMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread specifically for procrastinators like me who submitted their applications to TMDSAS in September or October. Let's include our stats (GPA and MCAT), date TMDSAS completed initial processing, and date interview invites were received.

For me:

GPA: 3.30
MCAT: 27R (9 on all sections)
Processing: 10/15
Still no word from schools for interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you happen to know how long it took the TMDSAS to transmit your application to the med schools once they've received everything? I submitted my application early in October and the last thing they received were my rec letters (received 10/20.) They've had my transcript since 10/14.

I hope to God they don't take as long as AMCAS to verify transcripts. Also, are you a Texas resident? I'm applying out of state.

alexander,
i dont think they take nearly as long to process as amcas. my app was processed and sent to schools 5 days after they received my last transcript. anyway, my application is a little confusing

processed: 10/8 (didnt receive MCAT until 10/15 and recs until 10/23)

GPA: 3.35
MCAT:35Q
interviews: none
tx res

i edited this since it made no sense earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hit the submit button for TMDSAS on 9/23. I was processed on 10/15. So what is that...? about 3 weeks or so....

Yes, I am a Texas resident ....

I also haven't had any interviews but on a good note, no rejections either.

NR must be down..... :D

u finally gonna apply this cycle?

Originally posted by vladtaltos

Actually NR is back up.

And I was tsaying my prayers last night and admitted to God that I really am an idiot. For years ppl have been telling me to apply early to avoid all the stress....i still haven't sent in my AMCAS.

Originally posted by dookbloo
alexander,
i dont think they take nearly as long to process as amcas. my app was processed and sent to schools 5 days after they received my last transcript. anyway, my application is a little confusing

processed: 10/8 (didnt receive MCAT until 10/15 and recs until 10/23)

GPA: 3.35
MCAT:35Q
interviews: none
tx res

i edited this since it made no sense earlier.

So they sent transmitted your application to the schools 5 days after receiving your transcript? Did you have all your letters in as well or do those even matter for the transmit date?

And it's about time you revealed your SDN identity to me. :)

alexander, sorry for being confusing. what i was trying to say earlier is that they sent my application off w/o my mcat and recommendations on 10/8. in other words, you dont have to have those for them to send off the application, they just need your transcripts. at the same time, i wont get interviews all that soon because i know a lot of the schools held my application since they didnt have the mcat scores and the recs (or the 2ndaries in some cases). make more sense?

Originally posted by ndi_amaka
Actually NR is back up.

And I was tsaying my prayers last night and admitted to God that I really am an idiot. For years ppl have been telling me to apply early to avoid all the stress....i still haven't sent in my AMCAS.

don't worry. you'll be at SW within a month. your process should be significantly less strenous than mine......and I never knew my ID here was a secret.

My app was submitted 9/15 to AMCAS, and from there sent to all schools on 10/1. Secondaries were completed before 10/1.

Interview: 11/10 (UTSA)

MCAT: 29Q

Evo

Originally posted by dookbloo
alexander, sorry for being confusing. what i was trying to say earlier is that they sent my application off w/o my mcat and recommendations on 10/8. in other words, you dont have to have those for them to send off the application, they just need your transcripts. at the same time, i wont get interviews all that soon because i know a lot of the schools held my application since they didnt have the mcat scores and the recs (or the 2ndaries in some cases). make more sense?

That's just great. TMDSAS has had my transcript since 10/14 and there's still no date next to:

"E. Initial Processing Date - sent to school(s)"

You're getting your transmitted to schools date from the status of application documents website, right?

First AMCAS and now TMDSAS. I hate all application services! :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Alexander99
That's just great. TMDSAS has had my transcript since 10/14 and there's still no date next to:

"E. Initial Processing Date - sent to school(s)"

You're getting your transmitted to schools date from the status of application documents website, right?

First AMCAS and now TMDSAS. I hate all application services! :mad:

careful. NRMP is watching.

My application was processed in early September. I?m an August MCATer so I am still a ?late?applicant

GPA 3.5
MCAT 28N (10-9-9)

Interview Invitations
Texas Tech
UTH
TCOM

all are scheduled for the middle of November.

don't worry. you'll be at SW within a month. your process should be significantly less strenous than mine......and I never knew my ID here was a secret.

Let's hope. If it doesn't work out, worst case scenario I apply again in MAy with all my stuff in like i should have and go to Nigeria and do a little reacquainting with my family.

Hit the SUBMIT button on 10/28 (teehee). HOWEVER, all of my transcripts, letters of rec, mcat, etc. have been in for over a month.

I am going to call TMDSAS by Friday and make sure everything is in. I've sent my secondaries long ago too. Just took me a while to perfect the essay, but all is underway now!

(sorry forgot to add my stats earlier)

GPA: 3.62
MCAT: 24N-- 6VR, 9PS, 9BS

(The 6VR is going to kill me, isn't it?:( )

ALSO- YES, I am a TX resident!!!

Tech messed up my application. How did they not receive all three LORs sent into TMDSAS...hmmmmmmmmm....

Originally posted by tuesday
My application was processed in early September. I?m an August MCATer so I am still a ?late?applicant

GPA 3.5
MCAT 28N (10-9-9)

Interview Invitations
Texas Tech
UTH
TCOM

all are scheduled for the middle of November.

tuesday, when did receive your invites?

Processed 6/18

Interviews:

TAMU: 11/13

UTSA: was made aware of invite, date not received yet.

Originally posted by trauma_junky
Processed 6/18

Interviews:

TAMU: 11/13

UTSA: was made aware of invite, date not received yet.

Is this a late application?

Originally posted by LPMD
tuesday, when did receive your invites?

Yes, lets start sharing the dates we received the invitations:

Interview Invitations
Texas Tech (received email 10/21)
UTH (received email 10/24)
TCOM (received phone call 10/17)

trauma junky,

when and how did you receive your A&M invitation??

Originally posted by ndi_amaka
Is this a late application?

No, just showing it can take a while sometimes

Originally posted by tuesday
trauma junky,

when and how did you receive your A&M invitation??

Yesterday.

Originally posted by trauma_junky
No, just showing it can take a while sometimes

When did you have in all your secondaries though?? Cuz I know Tech wrote me last week or two weeks ago asking for the secondary app fee.

I just got word today that I have an interview at UTh 11/14! :clap: :clap:

Here's my story:

I'm a reapplicant who already has an acceptance for 2008 from a DO school in CA (TUCOM). Decided to reapply to TX so I could stay closer to family and friends and save $100,000!

Stats:

GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 23S (10-VR, 6-PS, 7-BS) I hate physics!!!
TMDSAS transmission date: 10/15/03

I've talked to them a few times on the phone (they were really nice) and they told me that they actually send out the application even if all the transcripts and LOR aren't in! So they sent out my stuff w/out the letters. They finally got the LOR on 10/18 and my last transcript 10/28. She told me that they just keep updating the schools as they varify the transcripts. Not sure how it works from there...

Anyway, I've heard nothing yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone.

Tiffany

By the way, for those of you who don't know Elysium, well she works for the devil or was it a witch. So I guess that's why ADCOMs were nice to her, because they fear her.
Enough said.

Gibna,

You are so incredibly mature! How old are you, 15?

Listen, whatever. I hope you get into med school somewhere and stop trolling threads where you don't belong.

Isn't there a Wayne State thread you can go to?

:rolleyes:

See one my few flaws is that I don't think it through before posting. So I guess I seem like a jerk many times when sharing unrestrained thoughts on the internet. But you did start it you know, in the DO thread. I used to like posting there before your mean and degrading comments. I mean I am human you know and I do have feelings.
And no I am not interested in Wayne anymore, but thanks for wishing me luck in getting somewhere. I guess at this point I need alot of it.

I got an interview invite at TTU today!!!!:clap:

Hey guys, new here... TX resident too (and a late submitter... sigh procrastination) so I'll post.

Submitted TMDSAS 10/1... secondaries for Southwestern, Tech, and A&M on 10/16.

ndi_amaka, maybe I'll see you at UTH, I got my first interview invite for Houston on Nov 14 as well yesterday thru email. :D

Stats:

Ugrad GPA: 3.46
Grad GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 29S (10 VR, 8 PS, 11 BS)
TMDSAS transmitted: 10/23

Hey Elysium, you and I should talk! We have similar stats. Did you get any interviews last year or this year?

I'm worried about getting an interview. :(

PM me if you want to talk.

Last year I got an interview at UTMB (I submitted really late last year and my UTMB interview was 1/9).

Nothing so far this year, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I was surprised to receive an interview invite (in the mail) from UT Southwestern today (11/4). My application was transmitted to them only on 10/29. I'm not a TX resident either so perhaps the stigma that TX schools only want TX residents isn't true. I'll keep you updated on the other schools.

Alex

TTU invite 11/4

Initial Processing Date - sent to schools(s) 11/12/2003 :clap:

Good Luck, Sparkles! Here's hoping that you run the table!

Evo

Thanks EvoDevo! It only took about a week or two for everything to process and get sent out to the schools. How long 'till I hear about an interview you think?

Umm, depends on the school and how many apps they have to plow through, and how kick-ass your app is.

I heard something from one school at two weeks and another at three weeks following transmission from TMDSAS.

I also called the other schools yesterday, and was told by one that I wouldn't be hearing from them. Two of them said that my app had passed the first round of screening and was at the "invite yes/no" stage. The rest were predictably vague and/or unhelpful. :rolleyes:

On a related topic: why do adcoms have to be so fussy? I mean, it's like we've jumped through all sorts of hoops to even apply, and in some cases spent lots of money to have them just look at our application. Why couldn't they be nicer? I know that my graduate school admissions offices have been sooooooo much smoother/nicer/helpful.

Sigh.

Evo

ttu invite 11/19
san antonio 11/24
tamu 12/04

still no houston, galv, or sw....

Hey Evo,

Which schools were more forthcoming with info regarding the status of your application with the adcoms?

I haven't heard anything yet and like I've posted before I'm an applicant with dead average stats (3.3 GPA and 27 MCAT). I'm wondering if it really killed me to apply late (processed 10/15).

All the stellar applicants, i would think, comprise the majority of procrastinators who don't get their stuff in until right around the deadline. They wouldn't really be concerned with getting it in too early because their stats and ECs are very solid.

I haven't heard a peep from the 4 schools I applied to: UTSA, UT-H, UTMB, and Tech.

Considering my app was process about a month ago, I think chances are slim to none that I would get any interviews at this point. Right now, I'm just hoping that the timing of my application was the only reason I haven't received any invites because I can easily fix that next year by not procrastinating like I did.

But if it's my low GPA and I don't want to go get my masters, are there any suggestions from anyone out there as to how I can improve this in the eyes of adcoms?

Thanks,

LPMD

UTMB was the one which pretty much said "No way, Jose." That's cool, at least I won't waste time and energy waiting to hear from them. ;)

Both A&M and Tech were more forthcoming about where my application is in the screening process, and while TCOM wouldn't tell me anything specific, the lady did say that if I hadn't heard anything by the first week in Dec, then I probably had my answer.

As to your last question...post-bacc courses. It's all about the u/grad GPA.

Hope this helps. :)

Evo

So basically if I don't hear anything by the 2nd week of Dec. or so, I should just give up?:(

Well, if you consider that there is only one interview date in January for most/all schools, then you have to consider how much time the schools will be giving for notification.

Plus, you have to consider holidays and such. Sooo, while one school told me about the 2d week in Dec. thing, it is possible that you could hear sometime after christmas but before new years.

Just my two cents.