Late change to OB/gyn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilycat

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've sort of dug myself into a hole that I'm not sure how to get out of. I'm an MS4 who's applied to anesthesiology -- I've gotten a good number of invites, and feel good about matching. However, I've had a gnawing feeling over the last few months that it is not the right specialty for me, and that OB/gyn is (its one of the only areas of medicine that I can actually get passionate about, and also one of the few cores where I feel the knowledge actually stuck with me over a year later, probably b/c I was more interested in it, compared to say, immunization schedules). Unfortunately, I have not done any OB/gyn electives beyond my 2-month core, and realize that I need that experience to really make a decision. However, there doesn't seem to be any way to do this in time for this year's match.

I guess my question is, what are the chances that I could transfer into an OB/gyn program my intern year, assuming I do some electives this winter and spring and decide that it is indeed a better fit. I know that in recent years, my home program has had at least 1-2 people drop out of every PGY1 class, but I'm not sure how common that is. If anyone has any advice or direct knowledge or experience of a similar situation, it would be most appreciated -- thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can still apply to OB/GYN (apply for both). The deadline for OB/GYN is 11/1 for some programs and there are other programs' deadline is end of December. The only annoying part is you have to write another personal statement. You can do a Sub-I or just an elective in November or December. As long as you do a Sub-I before your have to put in your final rank list. Good luck.

Hmm....good question. I am not really sure what to tell you. Looks like you have a few options:

1) Match this year into an Anesthesia program and try switching into OB/GYN as an intern - I think this may be a bit risky because even though you may get a spot open up, it may not...or it may be at a program or programs that you would not want to be at. However, I have heard stories of residents switching specialties as interns. In my home school...a family practice intern switch with an Ob/Gyn intern.

2) You decide not to match this year and take a year off and re-apply for the match next year. I think this is the most conservative approach and will most likely yield you a spot in an Ob/Gyn program. Another advantage is that you may gain some exposure in the field to make certain that this is something you would like to do for the rest of your life. However, the disadvantage would be that you would have to wait a year.

3) You could try to match into an Ob/Gyn program this year. I am not sure if it is too late for this or not. Most application deadlines are in late October or November 1. However, you would be at a disadvantage applying this late because you would have to essentially re-do your whole application, personal statement, and scramble for letters of recommendation from at least a couple Ob/Gyn faculty. Also, you would still have the uncertainty of whether Ob/GYN is for you or not.

It is a difficult decision. I hope that I have clarified things a bit -- not sure :) . I do suggest that you do at least one Ob/Gyn elective or speak with the Ob/Gyn advisor at your institution to make sure that this is something you would like to do before you make your final decision.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
lilycat said:
So, I've sort of dug myself into a hole that I'm not sure how to get out of. I'm an MS4 who's applied to anesthesiology -- I've gotten a good number of invites, and feel good about matching. However, I've had a gnawing feeling over the last few months that it is not the right specialty for me, and that OB/gyn is (its one of the only areas of medicine that I can actually get passionate about, and also one of the few cores where I feel the knowledge actually stuck with me over a year later, probably b/c I was more interested in it, compared to say, immunization schedules). Unfortunately, I have not done any OB/gyn electives beyond my 2-month core, and realize that I need that experience to really make a decision. However, there doesn't seem to be any way to do this in time for this year's match.

I guess my question is, what are the chances that I could transfer into an OB/gyn program my intern year, assuming I do some electives this winter and spring and decide that it is indeed a better fit. I know that in recent years, my home program has had at least 1-2 people drop out of every PGY1 class, but I'm not sure how common that is. If anyone has any advice or direct knowledge or experience of a similar situation, it would be most appreciated -- thanks!

Hi Lily,

Im actually feeling your pain as we speak. I didn't have the best time in my obgyn rotation in 3rd year and I'm finishing up the clinic time I owe them now and guess what - I FELL IN LOVE WITH OBGYn! When I first started med school I wanted to do obgyn, at least that was my idea, then as school progressed I really wanted ct surgery. I was all set for that in fact until I gave birth 3 months ago - now I'm all back into the obgyn thing and I really do love it - i wish so dearly that I could manage this residency with a newborn but I know for a fact its not feasible, hence I'm going into my other true love - psych :)

I just wanted you to know the pd at my school said it would not be too late at all for me to switch (hes trying to encourage me to do it!) but I'm just like you, how do I know for SURE that I would love it when my electives have only been in ct surgery and psych? I THINK I would love it, and I do love the entire medicine aspect of it, the adrenaline, the surgery, the primary care, all of it - but that residency would take away from my daughter in her most crucial years :( Perhaps at some other time I will go back, but highly unlikely I'm sure <soft sigh> oh well...

I really think you should pursue what your passion is and if you're not sure, have you thought about doing a transitional year? DUring your transitional year you could do a ton of electives in obgyn and REALLY decide what you want :)

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted :)

Poety

Poety said:
Hi Lily,

I just wanted you to know the pd at my school said it would not be too late at all for me to switch (hes trying to encourage me to do it!) but I'm just like you, how do I know for SURE that I would love it when my electives have only been in ct surgery and psych? I THINK I would love it, and I do love the entire medicine aspect of it, the adrenaline, the surgery, the primary care, all of it - but that residency would take away from my daughter in her most crucial years :( Perhaps at some other time I will go back, but highly unlikely I'm sure <soft sigh> oh well...

I really think you should pursue what your passion is and if you're not sure, have you thought about doing a transitional year? DUring your transitional year you could do a ton of electives in obgyn and REALLY decide what you want :)

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted :)

Poety

Poety -
Although most Ob/Gyn residencies are labor- and time-intensive, have you considered a program that offers the night float system. This definitely improves "outside the hospital" life of most residents from what I have seen. And although maybe not as good as Psych with regards to hours, it seems like it is better than gen surgery (at least at my home school). Although I have not personally spoken with a female resident with a child, I certainly have with those that are seriously contemplating it. I myself have a baby (I am a male so this makes things a little different, but not too much). With whatever you decide to do....go with whats in your heart and good luck.

lilicat,

Another way to dig yourself out of this whole is to just do a prelim surgical year, and then apply to OBGYN next year. You have to do one if you match in anesthesia anyways, and you probably would have a better time matching at the program of your choice after an intern year under your belt. The bad thing about this option, is that you would have to do intern year over again in OB.

Hope this helps.

Carbo/Taxol said:
Poety -
Although most Ob/Gyn residencies are labor- and time-intensive, have you considered a program that offers the night float system. This definitely improves "outside the hospital" life of most residents from what I have seen. And although maybe not as good as Psych with regards to hours, it seems like it is better than gen surgery (at least at my home school). Although I have not personally spoken with a female resident with a child, I certainly have with those that are seriously contemplating it. I myself have a baby (I am a male so this makes things a little different, but not too much). With whatever you decide to do....go with whats in your heart and good luck.

Hi Carbo, thanks for your reply, I actually have weighed it out, tonight in fact. And after talkign to some ob's I've decided the best bet for me is to stick with Psych for now. I do love it a lot, and I will miss obgyn, but I really have to put my family first. An ob said to me today, if you are only going to have one (child) than its doable, but if you are thinking of a whole big family, its going to become like baggage (either way - the family or the lifestyle) so, I'm going to pick my family - my husband wants more kids and so do I and we plan on having one during residency so - there it is :) My husband also said he is only staying home for ONE year, so I really don't have much of a choice hehe

I appreciate your advice a lot though and thanks!

Poety

Life is really what you make it Poety, despite what anyone in OB or Psych may tell you. If you want to be an OBGYN and have 3 - 4 kids, and that is important to you then you will and can make in happen. I know a number of OBGYN's (females) that have. It really depends on you. I wish you the best with your decision of a specialty choice!

community : )

Poety said:
Hi Carbo, thanks for your reply, I actually have weighed it out, tonight in fact. And after talkign to some ob's I've decided the best bet for me is to stick with Psych for now. I do love it a lot, and I will miss obgyn, but I really have to put my family first. An ob said to me today, if you are only going to have one (child) than its doable, but if you are thinking of a whole big family, its going to become like baggage (either way - the family or the lifestyle) so, I'm going to pick my family - my husband wants more kids and so do I and we plan on having one during residency so - there it is :) My husband also said he is only staying home for ONE year, so I really don't have much of a choice hehe

I appreciate your advice a lot though and thanks!

Poety

Well...sounds like you have come to a conclusion after thoughtful discussion with your colleagues and, importantly, your husband, and I do not want to cause you any more indecision with regards to your selection. But I do want to add that I know several female Ob/Gyn faculty who have kids and are able to manage. In fact, one of my gyn-oncology attendings has four kids. The key is to make time. Obviously she does not work as many hours as most Gyn-Onc attendings do, but she has been able to find a common ground to balance family time and career.

Heres wishing you the best of luck with psychiatry...maybe some day you will fall back into the fold :)

First if you want OB go back through ERAS now and get in a PS use your letters (X out anesthesiology if included) and apply (its not too late). If you do anesthesia you are committed to a 1 yr contract you then will have an additional 6 months of training to do this amounts to a cost of $150,000 since starting salary for OB/Gyn is 300K.

Good luck let me know if I can help
Diane
[email protected]

300K seems a bit generous as a starting salary for OBGYN. Where do you live? I might need to make a move to that part of the country.

community

Lots of extra time on my hands so I did a search (salary.com):

The median expected salary for a typical Physician - Obstetrics/Gynecology in Indianapolis, IN is $215,682. Base pay only:

Physician - Obstetrics/Gynecology 25th%ile /Median / 75th%ile
Indianapolis, IN $183,857 / $215,682 / $252,953

HR Reported data as of October 2005

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Diane (& anyone else), what I'm most concerned is trying to apply now without: 1) an elective in OB/gyn, and 2) a letter of rec from an OB/gyn. My current letters are from 2 anesthesiology attendings, 1 medicine, and 1 surgery, so I could possibly just submit the surgery or medicine as one of them.

Since I have to do a prelim year or TY anyways (I'm interviewing mostly for medicine prelim right now), is it inconceivable that I could transfer during intern year?

The other possibility of course would be to not match this year, do research or something next year and apply to OB next year. My only hesitation on this is mostly the year away from clinics and how rusty I may be at the end of it.

I am planning to meet with the PD here at my school as wel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Poety,

In struggling with my decision, I went through many of the same thoughts/ideas that you are having right now. I'll admit it -- anesthesia was definitely a lifestyle choice, when I made that decision. Right now, I think that the actual day-to-day practice of OB/gyn will be more interesting to me, but I worry that the lifestyle could lead to burn-out. However, I was talking to a PGY-4 in OB/gyn who is interviewing in the Boston/NYC area right now, and her comments were very encouraging to me. She said that there were a lot of group practices out there (something I was worried about), with 7-12 docs, and that at most of the places she interviewed you would work (starting out of residency) 4 days/week, ave. 40 hrs/wk, call q7 or q10 (not sure how that worked out), with starting salary of $160K, with a $10K raise after passing the boards and then again every year until maxing out around $200K. For forty hours/week, that seemed pretty reasonable.

Ugh, just reading over the above really makes me wish I had done an OB/gyn rotation this spring/summer. Sigh...

lilycat said:
Poety,

In struggling with my decision, I went through many of the same thoughts/ideas that you are having right now. I'll admit it -- anesthesia was definitely a lifestyle choice, when I made that decision. Right now, I think that the actual day-to-day practice of OB/gyn will be more interesting to me, but I worry that the lifestyle could lead to burn-out. However, I was talking to a PGY-4 in OB/gyn who is interviewing in the Boston/NYC area right now, and her comments were very encouraging to me. She said that there were a lot of group practices out there (something I was worried about), with 7-12 docs, and that at most of the places she interviewed you would work (starting out of residency) 4 days/week, ave. 40 hrs/wk, call q7 or q10 (not sure how that worked out), with starting salary of $160K, with a $10K raise after passing the boards and then again every year until maxing out around $200K. For forty hours/week, that seemed pretty reasonable.

Ugh, just reading over the above really makes me wish I had done an OB/gyn rotation this spring/summer. Sigh...

I wish I could actually do a psych/obgyn residency haha, that would pretty much sum it all up for me, then I wouldn't be leaving either specialty that I love - oh if I were just a bit younger, but I'm getting to be an old folgy.

I was talking to a friend today who said he's having a hard time with the picking a specialty thing too - wouldn't it be great if we could just be "choose your only specialty each year" docs? We know so much about so much now that we're all becoming super specialized! Kinda sucks - doesn't it?

Poety said:
I wish I could actually do a psych/obgyn residency haha, that would pretty much sum it all up for me, then I wouldn't be leaving either specialty that I love - oh if I were just a bit younger, but I'm getting to be an old folgy.

I was talking to a friend today who said he's having a hard time with the picking a specialty thing too - wouldn't it be great if we could just be "choose your only specialty each year" docs? We know so much about so much now that we're all becoming super specialized! Kinda sucks - doesn't it?

BUMP...Thought about the scramble?

Unfortunately, OBGYN usually fills up (97% match rate) so there are few programs to scramble to.

Solideliquid said:
BUMP...Thought about the scramble?

I have Solid, but in all reality, I love psych so much that it would be hard to walk away from that, but now you've gone and stirred something up again!! argghhh. I do love OB, I love the pcp part of it, and how its a bit of everything, and a TON of psych too. Dont confuse me solid, I have a number one picked out. whats really bad, is when you think "oh maybe if I hate it, I can switch over to the OB dept" :laugh: oy vay solid don't even say it!

Just want to say... I just started my OB/gyn elective (finally!), after continuing to interview for anesthesia, TY, and prelim programs, and... I love it! OB just feels like the right fit for me. Now the hard part is trying to figure out what will happen for next year. Sigh.

Hi Lilycat, just my two cents...but I would take an extra year to do research in obgyn. I know that it sounds like a pain, but it would give you time to get a couple of letters, a little vacation (which is always nice) and the research will definitely help you a lot when it comes time to interview and rank programs. If location or prestige are important for you, having that experience will open a lot more doors for you than not having research. I took a research year and was afraid that I would forget everything too, but it comes back, really. Good luck!

jennyklm said:
Hi Lilycat, just my two cents...but I would take an extra year to do research in obgyn. I know that it sounds like a pain, but it would give you time to get a couple of letters, a little vacation (which is always nice) and the research will definitely help you a lot when it comes time to interview and rank programs. If location or prestige are important for you, having that experience will open a lot more doors for you than not having research. I took a research year and was afraid that I would forget everything too, but it comes back, really. Good luck!

Hi, Just wondering about your research year. When did you do it, at the end of med school after graduation? If you did, did you need to start paying back loans? Did you do a transitional/prelim year and research on the side? How was applying/matching? Just curious.

sscooterguy