Laptop vs. iPad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunctionalMovementGuru

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting PT school this fall and currently have a mac laptop. The computer is about 6 years old and I am debating whether to update with a new laptop or purchase an ipad for school.

Do any current students have a recommendation for what I should purchase? Any specific pros/cons to getting laptop versus ipad?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting PT school this fall and currently have a mac laptop. The computer is about 6 years old and I am debating whether to update with a new laptop or purchase an ipad for school.

Do any current students have a recommendation for what I should purchase? Any specific pros/cons to getting laptop versus ipad?

Thank you!
I'm starting PT school next month and I plan to use an Ipad air 2 with a keyboard case. However, I'll still have my laptop at home to review notes and such at my desk.

Thank you!
That mac will last you another 5 years, especially if you update to a solid state hard drive and increase the RAM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an old macbook pro and was considering getting an iPad but ended up getting the Surface Pro 4. I was kind of worried because I've had mac since middle school, but I really love it. It was between the ipad pro and the surface pro4 for me though because I really want to go completely digital with my notes for PT school and both computers have the best stylus on the market.

I am wondering the same thing! I would prefer to have all electronic notes but I am currently better at taking notes by hand. Would an iPad with the apple pencil/a good note-taking app be more efficient and user-friendly than my laptop or is the difference minimal?

I am wondering the same thing! I would prefer to have all electronic notes but I am currently better at taking notes by hand. Would an iPad with the apple pencil/a good note-taking app be more efficient and user-friendly than my laptop or is the difference minimal?
That was the exact reason I got the Surface. I have to be able to write out notes, and I just don't get the same notetaking experience from typing. I like the Surface bc the keyboard is really nice, and it runs a full Windows OS, so I still have the option to type notes. But the pencil for the Apple feels a little better on the screen. I love the stylus for both, but I think you really need to go to Best Buy or the Apple Store and just try them. Because some people just don't care for the feel of writing on a screen.

Oh and to answer the efficiency question: if you like the feel of the stylus, it's absolutely more efficient. I use OneNote (and ipad users seem to really like Notability) and I have notebooks for every class. Handouts are scanned and put onto a pdf editor. I carry a small notebook to class just in case I need paper, but otherwise everything is on my computer.

Reactions: 1 user
I have used both the iPad pro and a surface book. Hands down, the surface line is much better for PT school (I am a 3rd year). The iPad pro is a tablet first, pretty hard to do the basic computer functions you need while in school. That's why the surface line is so appealing for academic settings

Using a Surface Pro 4, and it works wonders for lecture and studying! Definitely recommend it.

I have used both the iPad pro and a surface book. Hands down, the surface line is much better for PT school (I am a 3rd year). The iPad pro is a tablet first, pretty hard to do the basic computer functions you need while in school. That's why the surface line is so appealing for academic settings
Have you used both in PT school? And do you have experience with the 2017 releases of both? I’m curious if you appreciated the note taking ability of one more than the other (notability vs OneNote). I’m also curious if you’ve run into any technological issues or repairs over time.
I’m truly stuck between the new surface book and the iPad Pro.
Separate from the cost (surface book costs about double but truly more powerful) and ease of compatibility with my current OS, both options seem about equal as far as in class note taking using the pencil/pen for handwritten notes.
What specific advantages did you experience in PT school when using the surface book vs the iPad Pro?
I have an older MacBook Pro so I have access to all Microsoft programs. I have loved its longevity- I bought it for undergrad in 2008 and increased the Ram and replaced the battery thanks to ifixit.
I also understand that options to upgrade the iPad pro and surface book are extremely limited/nonexistent. Knowing this I want to make an informed decision and have spent most of my free time researching the benefits of each device. Thank you for your time! I’m looking forward to starting PT school in May!

Some schools require iPads and others don't. The school I got accepted into requires an iPad, it is usually listed under the technology fee. However, I am going to try and get out of it because I have a 2013 MacBook Pro.