Laptop or Desktop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mperor

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming student at RFU-AP program, though I fully expect to be in the medical program, keeping me at RFU for the next 5 years. Should I purchase a laptop, desktop, or pda? I am not familiar with the computer availibility on the RFU campus.

I hear that a lot of medical students use pdas. Should I just get a desktop and a pda or should I really have a laptop to bring to campus. I am going to live approx 15 min off campus.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I love my laptop. portability portability portability! I take my laptop everywhere and very pleased with it. I done a lot of research on laptop and basically nowaday they are pretty much the same as specs. I would get a laptop especially for school. :D

The computer labs at the school is practically brand new and huge. They have a second computer room that is a 24 hour lab with 15-20 computers. I liked it a lot and was able to postpone making a purchase on a computer until a few weeks ago. Yup, I used the school's computer for almost everything. So you probably don't need a laptop unless you don't like the library.

Latest news: You will need a printer. A durable one. A fast one if you procrastinate and want to do all your printing at the last minute. Expect to print more than 500 pages for each class per quarter if the speculation is true. The school wants departments to cut back on paper, so they plan on putting lecture ppts on the internet for students to print out prior to lecture. This year, the ppts was included in the lecture syllabus. Just a little info, for Physio A the lecture syllabus (notes + ppt) were around 770 pages or more, with ppts about 3/4 of the syllabus. I was just notified by the chair of the physio department they are pretty much going to do this unless they get more $$ somehow.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say go with the laptop. the portability is extremely convenient, and will not take as much space on your desk (if you are residing in a dorm).

I highly suggest purchasing a wireless laptop AND a PDA. It is not practical to carry a laptop around with you all the time and a good PDA will keep you connected with email, calls, calendar, drug guides, even patient data. The Blackberry is excellent, although there are many others out there.

Christina Gellura

Mperor said:
I am an incoming student at RFU-AP program, though I fully expect to be in the medical program, keeping me at RFU for the next 5 years. Should I purchase a laptop, desktop, or pda? I am not familiar with the computer availibility on the RFU campus.

I hear that a lot of medical students use pdas. Should I just get a desktop and a pda or should I really have a laptop to bring to campus. I am going to live approx 15 min off campus.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Laptop

Laptops are great if they suit your school (e.g., lots of wi-fi spots, lecture notes online, the classrooms are built with AC outlets on the desks, etc...). However, you do not absolutely need a laptop to survive. You will get more for your money if you get the desktop/PDA combination that you mentioned. The best bet is to talk with the admissions office at your school and see what they recommend.

you should get a desktop and a PDA.

laptops are more expensive, and over time, less reliable, the fact that they are portable just means the tiny springs and plastic bits that make the hardware go get an extra beating.

If your school has a bunch of good computer labs - which it probably does - and if the stuff you need to do is on the web - which it probably is; having a good, reliable computer at home is a better bet for the full five years.