KCU-COM vs RVU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCU-COM vs RVU-COM

• RVU-COM

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • KCU-COM

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters

orionsbelt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've been a long time lurker but really need some advice now. I have been accepted to KCU-COM (my top choice) but just recently been accepted to RVU-COM, and now debating on where I should go. I know both of their curriculum are the same. I live in Kansas, but the drive to both schools is practically the same, so no big differences there, but I do want to consider some things:

1) I really like Colorado and can see myself practicing there- would it help to go to a school in the state you want to practice in?
2) Tuition at KCU-COM is about 6-7k cheaper
3) The KCU-COM campus is gorgeous, wayyy bigger, and has a gym. RVU-COM only has one building...and does not have a gym.
4) KCU-COM is much more established and has a solid reputation, however, RVU-COM has improved a LOT and had 100% pass rate on their boards last year (they said #1 in the nation for DO schools)
5) RVU-COM requires you to take both the COMLEX and USMLE right now. It seems like their students will have less difficulties adjusting to whatever happens when the merger takes affect.
6) urban vs suburban life
7) cost of living? student life/satisfaction?
8) residency placement?

I would really appreciate some feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

rvucom.....among highest board scores and great match lists

Hey guys!

I've been a long time lurker but really need some advice now. I have been accepted to KCU-COM (my top choice) but just recently been accepted to RVU-COM, and now debating on where I should go. I know both of their curriculum are the same. I live in Kansas, but the drive to both schools is practically the same, so no big differences there, but I do want to consider some things:

1) I really like Colorado and can see myself practicing there- would it help to go to a school in the state you want to practice in?
2) Tuition at KCU-COM is about 6-7k cheaper
3) The KCU-COM campus is gorgeous, wayyy bigger, and has a gym. RVU-COM only has one building...and does not have a gym.
4) KCU-COM is much more established and has a solid reputation, however, RVU-COM has improved a LOT and had 100% pass rate on their boards last year (they said #1 in the nation for DO schools)
5) RVU-COM requires you to take both the COMLEX and USMLE right now. It seems like their students will have less difficulties adjusting to whatever happens when the merger takes affect.
6) urban vs suburban life
7) cost of living? student life/satisfaction?
8) residency placement?

I would really appreciate some feedback!

KCU. Established with a great rep vs new and for profit. Board scores are on you

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good point. If social perception and prestige are very important to you, which is perfectly fine within normal limits, go to the more established school (KCU-COM)....if you want the better program choose RVUCOM

Reactions: 1 user
That's a good point. If social perception and prestige are very important to you, which is perfectly fine within normal limits, go to the more established school (KCU-COM)....if you want the better program choose RVUCOM

A prestige hungry student that goes to KCUMB is going to have some disappointments down the line.

Or any osteopathic school. I don't mean to imply the KCUMB is worse.

A prestige hungry student that goes to KCUMB is going to have some disappointments down the line.

Or any osteopathic school. I don't mean to imply the KCUMB is worse.

Osteopathic schools, especially after the merger have skyrocketed in terms of prestige and respect.

Sorry. It is now normal to see students actively choose DO over MD based on philosophy.
More tools in the toolbox.

Medicine in general is shifting towards holistic and preventive care in the US, these are century old tenets of Osteopathy. This means there is no learning or adjustment curve for DO school, faculty, students in this time of transition of medicine.

For MDs the faculty physicians and schools must adopt these new and altered philosophies and then apply and teach them on the fly.

Back to the merger, ACGME accreditation means in part that it is recognized that DO and MD clinical rotations and education are of equal strength, so much so that their residency system should be the same.

This is all on top of the fact that the curriculum is the SAME.

One area that DO schools are lacking, the new ones are behind in research! New schools like BCOM are requiring intensive research requirements for students and this will help if this becomes more widespread
Times have changed sir. Times have changed

Reactions: 6 users
Curriculum:
In terms of curriculum, there is zero difference. The Dr. Dubin (Dean) for KCU was the dean for RVU and TCOM (who designed the curriculum at those schools) and all three programs have had increases in board scores since.

Prestige/Match
If you throw prestige out the window, you have a larger sample size in terms of match rates/locations for KCU than RVU so your likelihood of what you see match at KCU is more than likely to be a product of the school rather than an anomaly. RVU has only had 4 matches and so you can't say much whereas KCU is one of the oldest schools in the country. USMLE vs COMLEX, from what I was hearing at KCU's interview, they strongly encourage you to take USMLE as well. Though, on preliminary looks, they both match a small % in to FM (approx 20% each) which is absolutely nuts seeing as so many DO schools push Primary Care. I give the edge at KCU simply because of the old established nature.

Rotations:
I can't comment much for RVU as I do not know much about their rotations. From what I know/read, they're primarily based in Colorado so on one end, it's a + to not have to move too much but on the other end, you're limited to the state of Colorado with some in Wyoming, Dakota, Utah and one in Cali. With KCU, you're rotating at huge hospitals in big cities such as Kansas City, Aurora, Orlando, Palm Beach, Columbus, Oklahoma City. You will definitely see great pathology there as well.

Community:
Can't comment for RVU, but at first glance, KCU has pretty large involvement in the KC community with programs such as Score One for Health.

Research:
I tried looking up stuff regarding research at RVU and couldn't find much. KCU has a research facility with some faculty having research projects. There also has been people collaborating at other places nearby for research.

But take this FWIW

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you guys! Personally, since I want to practice in Colorado I think it'll be a good idea to go to RVU because I'll have more networking opportunities. This may give me better chances of getting a residency in the state if I am on good terms with the hospitals, etc. It seems like the only difference between RVU and KCU is the "prestige" and KCU being an older school. Looking at RVU's match list from last year I don't think not having that old school prestige is holding them back. I think I'm probably going to go to RVU :) Thanks for all input!

Thank you guys! Personally, since I want to practice in Colorado I think it'll be a good idea to go to RVU because I'll have more networking opportunities. This may give me better chances of getting a residency in the state if I am on good terms with the hospitals, etc. It seems like the only difference between RVU and KCU is the "prestige" and KCU being an older school. Looking at RVU's match list from last year I don't think not having that old school prestige is holding them back. I think I'm probably going to go to RVU :) Thanks for all input!

It's not about prestige more about reputation. Resendecies are more likely to have had a KCU grad, research, hospital affiltions, non for profit status. Really non of that matters though if your happier at rvu!

I'm in the same situation as orionsbelt. Which school do you believe would have better clinical rotations?