KCOM class of 2005 meeting room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for all of your advice. I checked the NOWPA files, but didn't see anything. Maybe I need to look again?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd check the nowpa files again... I know I just donated my old files which had last years exams plus most exams going back to the class of '98... good luck!

Hey guys

Have any of you heard when the name change for KCOM might take place, and what it might be. I have an interview at KCOM on the 22nd of november and I am very interested in learning what the new name might be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! Congrats on the interview....I think you will love it here. That is about the time my hubby interviewed last year.....ahh, memories. :)

Anyways, I don't know when the name change will happen but I hear that it will be: A.T. Still University of Health Sciences. KCOM will still keep its name, it will just fall under that umbrella name....as will S.H.M. (School of Health Management) and the Arizona School of Health Sciences.

Hope that helps. :)

Good luck and have fun!!!

Wifty

not a student....but a spouse with too much info in her head. LOL

hey, s42, it looks like I will be helping give you a tour of the campus on your interview day, so I will get to meet you!

You will recognize me easily: I will be the frazzled medical student . . . oh wait, we will all look like that since we have a Neurology final that day!

Look forward to meeting you!

Ahhhh! I don't care about the Getitalls anymore! I don't care about food poisoning... I just want break!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by Takin' it to the barrier
Nobody cares about your genitals....
Oh wait...Getitalls...nevermind:p
Don't you care about Starboard's genitals? :confused: what next? your patients on gyn rotations? :eek: they could DIE and then you'd have a fat lawsuit from the boyfriend with all sorts of STD's that he's more than willing to share with you (I suppose you are aware of the graphic possibilities). What kind of world would this be if we all let each others genitals go uncared for???

Chaos...
Pure chaos. :eek:

I didn't even think of the consequences. Sorry everyone for not caring about your genitals. I'll work on that! Please come by and see me anytime and we will share concerns about all your private parts!:D

Genitals?? did someone say genitals???

All I can say is that my genitals have been put thru it the past 17 days!!!!! Someone better care for MY genitals!

(for those of you who aren't in school with us......my genitals haven't been put thru it because I'm..uh...promiscuous....I had a baby!!!!!) :love:

Howdy,

I found this the other day, thought you might be interested.

Memo

To: All department heads

Re: Complicating and Disrupting Student Study Techniques

It has recently come to my attention that many students are become efficient and effective at studying. In keeping with our charter to confuse, demoralize and cultivate lassitude in our students, I propose the following examination review format changes:

1. Promise the students a comprehensive test review, cancel, then reschedule.

2. Review the aforementioned examination line by line using vague terminology and broad references.

This technique has proven effective at keeping students off balanced while creating an atmosphere of uncertainty and distrust.

This policy is to take effect immediately.

The Dean

That's funny! Just the other day, I found THIS note wadded up in the Dean's trash (yes, I regularly dig through the deans' trash!!):

Dear Dean of Regional Affairs,

Our department has recently implemented a pilot program that is designed to reduce the effectiveness of our students' study time and to conserve precious resources.

Operating under a grant from the pharmaceutical manufacturer of Fluoxetine, we have been successful in depressing the students' affect and, as a side effect, reduced their unusually rampant consumption of our department's limited supply of A's. The methodology employed was simple: we included in the class schedule a lecture time for review of the material to expect on the final examination, then, at the last minute, informed the students that this was individual time scheduled for them to approach us in our offices! Of course, they realized that 156 students could not possibly be assisted by our limited department in such a short time, so they missed the review on which they had been counting. Since they had not previously prepared, they developed a depressed mood and suffered an A anorexia.

In the next phase of our experiment, we intend to adjust the variables by offering a review schedule that does not fit the examination format. Results will be forthcoming.

We recommend that you institute this procedure immediately in all departments! Please help us to reduce the useless assignment of A's to these students!

Thank you,

The Pharmacology Department

I found this inscribed on the men's bathroon wall:

"For a good time, call JohnDO"
665-XXXX

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, THAT'S why you called!

:laugh:

I HATE BUBBLE SHEETS!! I AM SICK AND TIRED OF BUBBLE SHEETS!! Ok, one more bubble sheet to go. I HATE FILLING IN MY NAME FIFTEEN TIMES A WEEK!!!

Can't they just take a poll to see what people would put?

"Ok. Everybody put your heads down. Now, everyone who thinks it's 'A' raise your hand. No peeking."

Or maybe I could hire 5 assistants to take the test with me. One to read the question to me, one to fill in the bubble sheet. One to give me a shoulder rub during the exam. The other two to just sit there, just in case the room gets too hot. "Has anybody called maintenance yet?!? Man, this is good stuff."

I am kinda pissed about classes this quarter. I was all excited about having it easy, well easy compared to last quarter, and now we have classes that we have to attend due to us being called on a pimped and pop quizzes? What's with the ploys to get us to come to class?

Quit whining Nicole, or I will convince Robbins to send you to Moberly for rotations.

Everyone excited about tmrw? Just wanted to say Good Luck to you all (Esp. Nicole and Moberly). :eek:

Well, I hope yesterday went relatively well for everyone. I got my first choice...but I know quite a few who didn't and I really couldn't be that excited because I felt badly for them.

Anyway, the stress of it is over for those of us not going thru trades or appeals. One more hoop behind us, I suppose.

When is everyone going to begin studying for boards? That is now my official new worry. It won't matter where I matched if I don't pass boards. .....maybe I should worry about passing those 3 exams next week, eh?

Surgery doesn't seem to be that bad....and that, in itself, is scary.

I am running out of things to say and ways to procrastinate. I keep checking email to see if anyone is sending out the Howell objectives.

Anyway, must get back to pharm.

Oh boy, oh boy! What fun holiday treats! Pharm and PM tests! :D

oh well... merry christmas y'all!

20+ lectures in under 24 hours? Can it be done? Believe in yoursel and your Osteopathy... (T-minus 7 months and COUNTING!)

oh wow, even after 2 years, u guys are still posting on this thread, this is great and really encouraging, u could teach those MD folks something ;) , but anyway two thumbs up! and happy holidays!

I just wanted to say that all this board studying is KILLING me! It's all I do! For example, on Christmas, I opened presents and was up here studying for boards by 10 am...I did take an extra 1/2 hour for christmas dinner...

I even cancelled my New Year's Eve plans to study.

So far, I've only gotten thru all the Northwestern books once each and that's just not acceptable.

Just kidding....

Gimme a B
Gimme a U
Gimme a M
Gimme a P

WHEN THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS GOING TO MOVE OUT OF K'VILLE SO SOME NEWBIES CAN FIND A PLACE TO LIVE?!!

just kidding,

I called a few places today like heritage house and century 21, but they were no help. My fiancee and I are looking for a 3 bedroom house with a yard for our lab, so I was wondering if any of you that had a place like this knew you were moving out and could give me a little heads up. I'm not real picky however, I have a friend who goes to Truman and the back of his toilet is more advanced that any biological warfare lab in the country, so hopefully we find some thing that is at least a little clean. I know you guys are busy, but if you check this give me some advice on how to find a decent house to live while I'm raped and tormented during my first and second year which starts in about 8 months. Thanks guys

:p :p :p

Originally posted by s42brown
give me some advice on how to find a decent house to live while I'm raped and tormented during my first and second year which starts in about 8 months. Thanks guys
:p :p :p

Hopefully someone will respond when they all get back from having fun. :)

The school will send you a list of people that want to rent houses only to KCOM students....I think that will start about March.
Finding a place that lets pets is the hardest thing though.....but not impossible.

Lots of times, places are found by hearing about them from current students.....so you came to the right place (though don't ignore the 2006ers! they are helpful too!).

Good luck.....and if your fiance has any questions about what it is like to be partnered up with a busy med student......just send her in my direction. :)

With smiles,
Wifty
happy spouse of a 2006er

With break soon coming to an end we can all have the comfort of one nice, warm/fuzzy thought... T-minus 6.5 Months and counting! Also I really can't wait to see what Rob Sanders will put down as the Jan. Animal of The Month.

Peace Out.

First - I wanted to BUMP this up

Second - have you guys checked out the "most memorable chief complaint" thread?? It's quite amusing.

I just want to say (contrary to my other posts, I am being serious with this one) that I am really nervous/scared about boards. I seriously don't know how I am going to fit in studying for current classes, going to board review on weekends, AND studying on my own time for boards. I get nauseated when I think about it. I guess a lot about school makes me feel that way, anymore.

Tell me I'm not alone in this.

Don't worry Double Elle, you are *definitely* not alone!! The idea of all that studying, with so little time is freaking me out. I barely have enough time to study for class, how am I going to fit boards in? And the weekend reviews...ugh. :eek:

On the up side though, I am sure you and everyone else will do just fine. Hey, we didn't get all this way for nothin', right??

BTW, I posted on the thread you mentioned...too funny!!

See ya in the am!

Chunky Monkey

From the ashes, our thread rises like a PHOENIX!

B U M P

Ah, it is good to be back

another finals week approaches :wow:

anybody doing something interesting for break? I may be finally trading in my old clunker car (wohoo). One can't live in AZ with no AC, after all...

First Off:

Applicant Disclaimer-To all of you future applicants AND incoming class of 2007, KCOM is a fantastic school and will make you a fine osteopath. Our basic science faculty is outstanding and for the most part, or clinical faculty is decent.

Now to me venting my frustration:
Ah the Derm final.
a. If you give a review, please put the material on the test.
b. If you say that ?you are only responsible for what is in the notes,? then test out of the notes.
c. If you give us pictures to diagnose, then give us pictures in the notes.
d. If you expect us to learn dermatology, why not show us pictures to learn from rather than factoids in bullet format?
e. If you are going to get 20 hours of my time, then why not actually teach me something?
f. Finally who are you to belittle us as students when we ask questions?

The only 2 things I am now sure of:
1. I didn?t learn a damn thing in derm.
2. I know now what type of doctor I DON?T want to be.

Thanks and good luck tomorrow,
FG

Flemish - I am changing your name to Phlemish so I can call you P. Giant

P.Giant (Kind of like P.Diddy?) -
BOO HOO HOO ...I am so sick of hearing people whine about dermatology. The notes were superb. Everything you would ever need to know for Derm was in those notes. Lectures - Oh, I was very surprised at how outstanding the lectures were. I was so proud that I got myself up and attended those. Also, the availability of his labelled powerpoints was enough to allow us to memorize any and all diagnosises we could have possibly needed for the exam. That final was a 'gimme'.

As for him not mentioning half the things during the review? Geez - can't you just be thankful that he gave us that bonus lecture during that time? I mean, he could have went over stuff he'd ALREADY gone over...but, he took time out of his evening to provide us with additional knowledge. I think we, as students, should feel lucky that we have a professor that is constantly thinking about our needs as future clinicians.

Not to mention, the way he stormed into the room during the exam and bellowed "Does anyone have any questions for me before I leave?" - wow, I thought that showed incredible respect for us and the possibility that we may be confused about something on that incredibly easy exam. I mean, where does the kindness end with this guy?

Anyway, suck it up and be a big boy/girl. Finals week is a time for us all to relax and enjoy ourselves before we have to travel somewhere for break. There's great TV on this week AND the weather is supposed to be getting better. We are given all this free time to go back into last quarter's material and review for the finals that cover both quarters - we couldn't be given a better deal than this! You know, now that I think about it - this life really is ideal....practically limitless loan money so we can all have these great lifestyles, so much free time, professors that only teach what will be on an exam....it doesn't et much better than this, people.

I really wish this was a chat room so someone could STOP this nonsense I am writing. Okay, I have procrastinated and BS'd enough.

P. Giant (Diddy) - best of luck on tomorrow's final. I'll probably have more crap to write on here after that!:laugh:

Does KCOM have any relationship with the AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honors Society)? I know some DO schools elect some 3rd year students into it? Does anyone know about this information? Or does KCOM have any honors society for its top students? I was just curious since I was reading about it on a website? Thanks.

Flemish and Double,

I agree with both of you!!! This was really just a giant BUMP!!

PS, go read the 2007 page. The profiles page. Its pretty good.

Do we have quizzes in Peds everyday or is that OB/GYN?

thanks,
n

OB/GYN will be all BABOON questions accounting for 50% of your total grade after each lecture and Peds will have an essay format exam with references each day.

heya folks. anyone else wonder what they are talking about here when they say "diversity week"? it seems that the vast majority of folks here don't go to or pay attention to any of those events. hm... maybe I'm wrong- I'd love to be. but I don't think so.

anyhow, RbassoDO and our own bustinbooty have been exchanging words, insults and fists in a friendly manner over on the fragile 2007 board, and I thought I'd encourage them to bring it here before they destroy all communication for the new class. :p

coming from a school that was barely 60% white and probably <50% christian (many atheists, buddhists, jews, hindus and muslims), and an environment where diversity was celebrated with cultural events almost non-stop... and intellectual and philosophical diversity was encouraged through a variety of clubs, and political forums... kirksville was a bit of a shock.

right now they are intensly debating the issue of iraq and what course of action should be followed, with all sides well represented including many international students from all countries involved (there are a couple iraqis). The advantage of this is that all involved are enriched and have a better appreciation of the situation- and are more likely to be able to understand those that come to them with differing viewpoints (doesn't that sound useful for doctors?)

I get the sense that here any such debate would be immediately stifled by people who feel strongly, rather than encouraged to better understand the world debate or your own views.

now, I know I'm mostly talking to the very folks that shocked me when I got here, but I am curious what this is like for you. do you think there is sufficient diversity of culture, thought, and ethnicity here for physicians? Do you think that those physicians that will practice rurally even need this sort of exposure, and if not- should it be encouraged anyway in med school?

what about recruitment? think the school should taper recruiting in established KCOM havens such as truman and brighamyoung in favor of other schools around the country so that folks like you can get to see more of the world in your education?

bones :cool:

Hey all!

Lets get some sort of debate started again. We've all been pretty boring in our second year.

Here's a topic:
What do you all think about the decision to NOT let us wear our class T-shirts?

I personally dont care much except for the principle. faculty really should have no juristiction over us (we're colleagues to them right?). Only way to win your freedom is to keep being disobedient until dialogue is started... if thats even possible in this silly place. well, I support anyone who wants to keep wearing them.

cheers,
bones

Hey guys, I'm an incoming freshman to KCOM and I am very interested in orthopedic surgery. I know that these residency positions are very competetive, however the CORE hospitals in ohio have tons of slots each year. This is great considering that the three medical schools associated with this large program are KCOM, DMU, and OUCOM. I was just wondering why I am just finding out about this now, it seems like it would be a great selling point for KCOM. The website even says that there is a kcom medical education representative at each location, wow. If you guys could tell me more about this hospital system it would be great. Also, I know that Des Peres hospital here in St. Louis has ortho spots but it does not show up on the AOA's list of participation programs in the match, is this because it is a PGY2-PGY5 program? If so how does someone find out about all of the PGY2 programs available. I just read the book "How to choice a medical specialty", so I think I have some idea about what I am saying. If not please set me staight.

cutty:p :p

First off excuse the bad spelling. Secondly, yes there is Ortho fun at some of the hospitals that we can do our rotations at. Here's the kicker: What I was told by some 4th years was that in the DO world (vs. the MD) most competetive residencies are decided in an under the table fashion, even though they (our friends at the AOA) say its not like that ie everyone gets a fair turn. Translation-You want something competetive, go to a hospital that has it. Then get buddy/buddy and make friendship w/ the surgeons. Now that you know them, they realize that you are a well adjusted young Osteopath in training. They want you as part of their team for the next year. They tell you that you have the spot. But in the mean time they interview the top 5%'ers from class rank/board scores. But that part is just a show. You are the guy/gal that has the spot. Only problem is that some of these hospitals have a limited # of spots, so it could be that you are competing w/ a classmate for the same spot. That can get dirty!

Good luck and I welcome you to a most interesting phase of your life [No, not just going to Med school (Osteopathic), but doing it in Kirksville],
FG

Originally posted by bones
:laugh:

some people just don't have a sense of humor. I feel pity for the dude.

oh well. I personally dont care much except for the principle. faculty really should have no juristiction over us (we're colleagues to them right?). Only way to win your freedom is to keep being disobedient until dialogue is started... if thats even possible in this silly place. well, I support anyone who wants to keep wearing them. I'll try to find something equally offensive to wear one of these days to aide the cause.

cheers,
miguel

This makes me think of what Dr. Rinkelman was saying to our class this morning. He said that when he was in his fourth year, he had long hair and earrings, but he decided to cut his hair off for his residency. He felt that since he would be representing the hospial and his colleagues, he should try to portray professionalism.

So I think the t-shirt issue could be encroached along that same mindset. If we chose to come to KCOM and be representatives of it, shouldn't we portray an image that is congruent with our hopefully growing professionalism?

Professionalism certainly has its place, but I believe you miss the point of the discussion. When working with patients and when acting as a school representative, restraint is certainly in order. on the other hand, having a silly T-shirt in OMM lab banned (where attire is casual anyway) seems more than a bit absurd.

The bigger issue at hand is that there are some students here that feel like they are treated as less than adults (not that wearing shirts like that one makes you seem any MORE mature)...
Exersizing autonomy regularly, however, goes a long way towards developing the ability to act independently, intelligently, and professionally when the need arises.

If we are told what to do, wear, think, and say at every stage of our career development- and then are let loose on the world, how are we to immediately become masters of our own lives? Sheep do not lead. Yet doctors are supposed to.

Originality, creativity, controversial dialogue, and dissent should be encouraged rather than suppressed with such goals in mind.

Taken to extreme, we could be like Lake Erie or NOVA where they all dress in their white coats for class every day, have attendance taken to make sure they attend every lecture, and are forced to memorize long lists of things to do in a particular order for every H+P they do (we're talking about big long checklists, not just COPMAPS). yuck. If it were up to me, we would swing far in the opposite direction, giving students much more freedom over our personal educational goals and learning strategies. Perhaps the new module-based curriculum design the deans are working on now will at least provide that option for students in future years that come through KCOM.

Things COULD clearly be far worse. In fact they really aren't bad... but I just want to remind people that seemingly minor infractions on autonomy really do challenge the very essence of what it is to be a professional. If they want to make us professionals they need to treat us with that level of respect (even if we are sometimes still far from deserving it).

At the recent medical conference in Ottowa, they sold clothing much like the shirt in question. Doctors wearing such clothing were certainly not told to remove them on grounds of professionalism for the casual meetings and lectures there. Makes you stop and think.

my 2 cents,
bones

A couple of days ago I posted a question about the CORE system in Ohio and how I could find a list of the PGY-2 residency programs in orthopedic surgery. I got a response, thanks FG, but I really didn't get an answer to my question. If anyone out there could help I would really appreciate it.

cutty:p :p

come on and answer my questions I know you guys aren't busy, I picked KCOM because it is the easiest of med schools. JJ:laugh: I just wanted to bump this thread up I like to see the famous four letters in the top three posts