Kaplan HY or DIT better for student with a weak foundation? Help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlwaysBStudying

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first year of medical school (barely) and am trying to get through all of First Aid in a 6 week time period before start of second year. I learn best by videos and want to use either DIT or Kaplan HY videos as my primary learning source. Can anyone offer advice about which is better for someone with a weak foundation?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Getting through FA before M2 is a waste of time & will just fill your head with a bunch of concepts that you haven't learned. If you have a weak foundation, why do you want to try to expose yourself to concepts that will make even less sense without said foundation?

You'll regret that $800 so much.......... Seriously, just enjoy your summer, review some physiology or something if you think your foundation is weak and work your butt off next year. You don't want to go into second year or boards without a decent understanding of physiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Sounds crazy I know, but my school has assigned 'homework' to review all of FA over summer. First day of year 2 I have a 100 question test on FA. Everything is fair game with a concentration on materials covered first year.

A lot of material to go through and not a lot of time. I am fortunate enough to have access to DIT & Kaplan HY , but it sounds like these are best suited for use closer to my exam 12 - 13 months out ?

With the situation I am in, any advice on how to utilize Kaplan HY or DIT in the next 6 weeks?

I would like to avoid purchasing more Kaplan vids if possible.

Thanks!

I would go through the DIT videos very slowly (taking notes, ANKI cards, etc.) just take your time to make sure that you have the basic concepts down (quality over quantity). I also found SketchyMicro extremely helpful for microbiology (so I would recommend that as well). I felt like DIT was fairly solid for biochem and immunology just to get the basic framework down and understand the big picture (but you really have to just pound the picky details into your head which is why I recommend making ANKI cards for the videos). Also, don't forget to enjoy your summer. I doubt very many people are going to do well on this quiz, so the quiz is either going to be very easy or there will be a steep curve.

I just finished my first year of medical school (barely) and am trying to get through all of First Aid in a 6 week time period before start of second year. I learn best by videos and want to use either DIT or Kaplan HY videos as my primary learning source. Can anyone offer advice about which is better for someone with a weak foundation?

Thanks in advance

Ok since I've done both this is what I think. Do Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Videos first since you just finished MS1 because they cover details, explanations and concepts very well. Then towards the end or after your MS2 you can do DIT because DIT mostly covers FA and explains the book but remember to become very familiar with the FA during your MS2 and try to incorporate it into your classes regardless of if you do Kaplan or DIT.

Go to admins & tell them to find faculty to teach better if they want their step scores to go up, not assign FA reading over the summer. What a joke. There are good methods for schools to help students do well on step 1. This is not one of them.

I find it hard to believe that a school would force you to read FA on stuff you haven't covered over the summer, but whatever... DIT will walk you through all of FA, but it would be such an awful program to use without being familiar with the information.

I would like to also add that I wouldn't touch the organ systems you haven't covered yet. You won't learn anything, and it would be a complete waste of time. I would just cover the topics you have already covered in DIT/Kaplan/FA and the first 3 chapters of Pathoma + Pathoma for any organ systems you have covered already.