Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was waitlisted a month ago and I'm wondering if I should send a letter of intent. I know the chances of getting off the waitlist are low but I'm from the KC area so this is my top choice. But what do you put in a letter of intent?

Members don't see this ad.

I was waitlisted a month ago and I'm wondering if I should send a letter of intent. I know the chances of getting off the waitlist are low but I'm from the KC area so this is my top choice. But what do you put in a letter of intent?

My knowledge is limited to a book I read about medical school admissions and interviews. It quotes the admissions department from various (MD) schools across the country so I will tell you what I know from it.

The way its handled really varies from school to school. That said, one of the most significant things is to update them with anything new that could help you. Don't sound obnoxious or entitled and let them know that you're interested and available. Sincerely tell them the reasons you're interested in their institution.

i.e. Dear adm.

I am writing to update my candidacy towards your program [...] Since the time I interviewed I have begun [...] Thank you for your consideration.

It may help you or not, just don't overdo it. Good luck.

My knowledge is limited to a book I read about medical school admissions and interviews. It quotes the admissions department from various (MD) schools across the country so I will tell you what I know from it.

The way its handled really varies from school to school. That said, one of the most significant things is to update them with anything new that could help you. Don't sound obnoxious or entitled and let them know that you're interested and available. Sincerely tell them the reasons you're interested in their institution.

i.e. Dear adm.

I am writing to update my candidacy towards your program [...] Since the time I interviewed I have begun [...] Thank you for your consideration.

It may help you or not, just don't overdo it. Good luck.

Great! Thank you for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted via snail mail as well, received letter yesterday (to OKC). Interviewed January 30th.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted via snail mail on Saturday. Make sure you all file your taxes and your FAFSA soon!

Reactions: 1 users
How far along is everyone with their financial aid stuff?

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Do those accepted mind sharing their stats?

Congrats on all of the acceptances! Has anyone who interviewed on Jan 30th not received a letter yet?

I haven't received an acceptance packet, but I just got an email inviting me to Accepted Students Day. Hope this isn't a cruel joke...

I haven't received an acceptance packet, but I just got an email inviting me to Accepted Students Day. Hope this isn't a cruel joke...
Same here - I live a few states away so I'm assuming the letter just hasn't arrived yet and that we are in : )

Members don't see this ad :)
To those accepted I recommend starting your vaccinations/titers/boosters asap.

I had my 3 HepB vaccinations 7 years ago. My titer came back negative. Therefore, I have to start the entire series over. This can be a problem for people who start too late!

Plan on going here in Aug. I really liked the campus and attitude/enthusiasm of the students and faculty. Accepted late October.

Too any matriculated students. Do you know any information on the quality of any of the 3 rotation sites in FL? I know some sites are better (i.e. exposure) than others.

Hey everyone, I was recently accepted to KCUMB through email however I have not received my acceptance packet yet. Do any of you know what GPA I must maintain on courses that I am currently in? Thanks a lot!

Hey everyone, I was recently accepted to KCUMB through email however I have not received my acceptance packet yet. Do any of you know what GPA I must maintain on courses that I am currently in? Thanks a lot!
I'm pretty sure once accepted, you just need to pass. You can always double check with admissions to be sure

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I was wondering if there is a facebook page for this year's class as I'm looking for a roommate

I'd also talk specifically about the things you like about the school and the campus. If you look under some SDN user's profiles there will be a number next to their MDApps ID tag. The user BABSstudent has examples of a few letters of intent that got them accepted at University of Washington. Here's the link to his profile, you can see what got him accepted at one of the best primary care schools in the nation:
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=24467

Do those accepted mind sharing their stats?

MCATs: 29Q (8/11/10), 28 (8/10/10), 29 (11/9/9)
Undergrad cGPA: 3.21
Master's sGPA/cGPA: 3.77

Too any matriculated students. Do you know any information on the quality of any of the 3 rotation sites in FL? I know some sites are better (i.e. exposure) than others.

Not sure if it will happen but one of the student ambassadors at my interview mentioned that they were looking at phasing out their FL rotation sites...I'm really hoping that doesn't happen, but if it's a major factor for you I'd try and get in contact with the school or ask some of the current students on the facebook page. There are a few of them that have been answering questions.

I'd also talk specifically about the things you like about the school and the campus. If you look under some SDN user's profiles there will be a number next to their MDApps ID tag. The user BABSstudent has examples of a few letters of intent that got them accepted at University of Washington. Here's the link to his profile, you can see what got him accepted at one of the best primary care schools in the nation:

Not sure if it will happen but one of the student ambassadors at my interview mentioned that they were looking at phasing out their FL rotation sites...I'm really hoping that doesn't happen, but if it's a major factor for you I'd try and get in contact with the school or ask some of the current students on the facebook page. There are a few of them that have been answering questions.
Thank You!

Thank you

I got waitlisted :(!!! I thought my interview went well but perhaps not...

Hi everyone! I have a question for current students about classes since they are mandatory at KCUMB. Do you feel like you can attend class and solely focus on lectures without having to type notes? I.e. is their anything testable that is not in the course notes or powerpoints? The reason I'm wondering is because for some of my classes in undergrad where I had to type notes extremely quickly I did not get as much out of lecture as I could have, and if this were the case I feel going to a school with non-mandatory attendance would be much better in terms of time efficiency in learning material since I could pause lectures and go at my own pace. I'm someone who cannot focus well on typing notes and listening to lecture at the same time. If I have to go to class I do not want to have to take notes as well. I know the lectures are recorded but it would be very time consuming to watch them a second time so that I could write down all testable material that was not in the course pack or powerpoint. I am debating between this school and Des Moines (which has a non mandatory class policy). Thank you very much for whoever can help me, I am leaning towards this school over Des Moines for many reasons including the great systems based curriculum and the ample opportunity of doing research- the mandatory class policy is the only significant negative aspect for me.

I'm pretty sure once accepted, you just need to pass. You can always double check with admissions to be sure
For anyone wondering they said I must get a C at least on all of my courses with a B overall average.

Hi everyone! I have a question for current students about classes since they are mandatory at KCUMB. Do you feel like you can attend class and solely focus on lectures without having to type notes? I.e. is their anything testable that is not in the course notes or powerpoints? The reason I'm wondering is because for some of my classes in undergrad where I had to type notes extremely quickly I did not get as much out of lecture as I could have, and if this were the case I feel going to a school with non-mandatory attendance would be much better in terms of time efficiency in learning material since I could pause lectures and go at my own pace. I'm someone who cannot focus well on typing notes and listening to lecture at the same time. If I have to go to class I do not want to have to take notes as well. I know the lectures are recorded but it would be very time consuming to watch them a second time so that I could write down all testable material that was not in the course pack or powerpoint. I am debating between this school and Des Moines (which has a non mandatory class policy). Thank you very much for whoever can help me, I am leaning towards this school over Des Moines for many reasons including the great systems based curriculum and the ample opportunity of doing research- the mandatory class policy is the only significant negative aspect for me.
99 percent of testable material comes directly from the slides. You don't have time to hand write or even type notes. It is mostly highlighting or circling key words. Also, mandatory classes might be going away.

99 percent of testable material comes directly from the slides. You don't have time to hand write or even type notes. It is mostly highlighting or circling key words. Also, mandatory classes might be going away.
Thank you for the information. Hopefully the mandatory attendance gets cancelled by next year!

Can any current students (or anyone from the area) chime in on good places to live in the KC area with a family? My family and I are will be moving there this summer before school starts and would like to buy a house but I know there are some rough parts of Kansas City and surrounding areas to avoid. Thanks.

North Kansas City is popular for newcomers. Don't know much about their school district though. Other than that, I'd recommend Lee's Summit, MO or Overland Park, KS. Both have great school districts and are pretty safe. A bit further of a drive to KCUMB.

Did anyone else on the waitlist get the email today asking if they are still interested?

Did anyone else on the waitlist get the email today asking if they are still interested?
Yup, but I'm wondering if we're suppose to pay the fees too in order for our files to be complete

Can any current students (or anyone from the area) chime in on good places to live in the KC area with a family? My family and I are will be moving there this summer before school starts and would like to buy a house but I know there are some rough parts of Kansas City and surrounding areas to avoid. Thanks.

Anywhere out in the Overland Park direction, i.e. west: Olathe, Shawnee, etc. Also east is good: Blue Springs, Lees Summit. These are more suburban.

NKC tends to be more urban and closer. But it's nice too.

Would avoid south of the city

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm gonna call tomorrow.
Would you let me know what you find out? I was gonna ask them in the same email reply that they have us do. One of us will have an answer hopefully lol

Would you let me know what you find out? I was gonna ask them in the same email reply that they have us do. One of us will have an answer hopefully lol

Ha ya I'll let you know.

Hi,

Just wanted to put some input since I am from the KC area and North Kansas City High School in the NKC school district. The school itself is not as great as it used to be with the merging of Kansas City school district. It definitely isn't as good of a school as it used to be (but that also depends on the diploma type you select at the school). I've heard Staley High School is great, and that's also within the NKC district. Liberty is a great area to live in as well, but it's further north and will be a longer drive. There's also great programs at Park Hill South or Park Hill, and both are pretty safe and great educational environments (pretty good athletics too).

So we're from the same highschool.

I think that NKC is a decent district, especially for younger children. It would probably be your best bet if you want to live close to KCUMB.

Fort Osage school district is one of the best in Kansas City right now. You can live in that area and still be close enough to school. It takes me 25 min to get to KCUMB. Yes, you will have to drive on 24 hwy most likely, but it's a designated evacuation route, so always among the first to be cleaned out when it snows. My subdivision is very safe. Blue Springs school district is also good.

Just called and they said we just have to fill out the other forms. Don't have to pay the deposit.

Just called and they said we just have to fill out the other forms. Don't have to pay the deposit.

I was waitlisted but I didn't receive an email :( Are the other forms included in the email?

I was waitlisted but I didn't receive an email :( Are the other forms included in the email?

Call them. No they didn't include the forms. Just the link where we can find them.

kcumb.edu/matriculation

Call them. No they didn't include the forms. Just the link where we can find them.

kcumb.edu/matriculation

Calling will be your best bet. If I remember correctly, most people were pulled off the wait list in late june/ early july. It's probably important to get those forms in (immunizations/ background check/ transcripts) so that if you are pulled off the list, you are ready to go right away.

Thank you Ad.

Did you receive the news recently? I bet you anything if you found out recently they'll probably send you the same email sometime later