Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did not take Biochem or Genetics in undergrad, only in grad school, so I did not apply figuring I did not meet their requirements. Unsure if they accepted grad courses, but other schools I contacted did not (DMU). Sounds like a cool program though!

i'd talk with the school...you might be able to send in a course description and they can decide for themselves if it qualifies or not...and you can always take an online genetics course over the summer before you start (many students do that)

Members don't see this ad.

The required coursework only says a certain number of semester hours for each course. I'm curious as to how you interpreted this to mean undergraduate only.

Other schools I have called said they would not allow my Chiropractic courses to count for any of the required undergrad courses such as Biochem and Genetics. Since I haven't taken them in undergrad, I'm out of the running for these schools. There are still 20 DO schools I'm applying to, so hopefully eliminating some of these wont hurt me too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I question out of ignorance: Do most DO schools have this high an amount of ACGME matches?

I question out of ignorance: Do most DO schools have this high an amount of ACGME matches?

I think a good amount of DO schools have a decent majority of people matching acgme to be honest by the time the class of 2018 graduates all aoa residencies should have merged with acgme.

The school has posted their matching for 2013.

http://www.kcumb.edu/uploadedFiles/Content/Academics/_Assets/2013MatchSpecialty.pdf

It shows a total of 217. If the average class size is 250....where are the stats on the other 33 students ( Placements ) ?

Most schools will show less than the actual class matching most who don't match because they didn't interview at enough places or just reached too high than what their board scores and their CV could get them and they are now scrambling

Last edited:
At the open house the guy said there was only 218 people in that class and everyone matched except 1. That person was going through soap again.

I am guessing you were at the 6/28th ope house?

Very excited to be applying here! Kansas City native and went to one of the open house days (6/12 I believe) and was really impressed!

when does secondary come out for kcumb?

Reading last cycle's thread, I learned that the first batch of secondaries were sent out on 7/26. If this school follows the same trend as other schools (getting in the game 2 weeks early), I would expect the secondaries by the end of the upcoming week.

Reading last cycle's thread, I learned that the first batch of secondaries were sent out on 7/26. If this school follows the same trend as other schools (getting in the game 2 weeks early), I would expect the secondaries by the end of the upcoming week.

From previous cycles, kcumb seems to get in the cycle later along with pcom and dmu.

Last year, they were the last secondary I received... a good 2 weeks after the others came in.

Members don't see this ad :)
dam
even after Turo-NY?
I did not apply to T-NY. I do believe they heavily screen before sending out secondaries; it apparently is not automatic, because I was above their minimum criteria.

Hey Guys

I applied in the 2013 cycle as a 4th year graduating student. My stats were 27Q on my MCAT and 3.66 cGPA/3.6 sGPA with a lot of volunteer and research experience.

Bad News
I interviewed in January and shortly after got waitlisted. I thought my interview went well and so when I called back to inquire, admissions didn't really have an answer for me as to why I didn't get in. They said my pre-interview score wasn't high enough this year. I found this a little strange as my mcat and gpa were slightly above last years averages.

Good News
I kept emailing them telling them I was interested in attending and then finally a week ago I got an offer to the Master of Science program (1 year track) in Biomed with guaranteed acceptance into the osteopathic medical school for fall 2014 (no interview, no re-application, no nothing).

Moral of the story...don't hesitate to berate them if you get wait-listed. I'm glad I did because i think it showed them that despite being an international student, I was committed to the school. Thought I'd post this to get everyone pumped for the new cycle and also because I'll be starting KCUMB-COM with a lot of you come fall next year.

:):thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
:thumbup:
Hey Guys just a little insight for Canadian applicants.

I applied in the 2013 cycle as a 4th year graduating student from the University of Guelph. My stats were 27Q on my MCAT and 3.66 cGPA/3.6 sGPA with a lot of volunteer and research experience.

Bad News
I interviewed in January and shortly after got waitlisted. I thought my interview went well and so when I called back to inquire, admissions didn't really have an answer for me as to why I didn't get in. They said my pre-interview score wasn't high enough this year. I found this a little strange as my mcat and gpa were slightly above last years averages.

Good News
I kept emailing them telling them I was interested in attending and then finally a week ago I got an offer to the Master of Science program (1 year track) in Biomed with guaranteed acceptance into the osteopathic medical school for fall 2014 (no interview, no re-application, no nothing).

Moral of the story...don't hesitate to berate them if you get wait-listed. I'm glad I did because i think it showed them that despite being an international student, I was committed to the school. Thought I'd post this to get everyone pumped for the new cycle and also because I'll be starting KCUMB-COM with a lot of you come fall next year.

Hey Guys just a little insight for Canadian applicants.

I applied in the 2013 cycle as a 4th year graduating student from the University of Guelph. My stats were 27Q on my MCAT and 3.66 cGPA/3.6 sGPA with a lot of volunteer and research experience.

Bad News

Good News

Hate to burst your bubble but the masters program does not guarantee an acceptance into medical school. I should know because I graduate July 30th and I wasn't accepted. It's a great program and it prepared me very well for medical school but you are not guaranteed an acceptance, or even an interview for that matter. Of the 28 people in our program only 11 or 12 were accepted to kcumb. Anyways, good luck with the program! Like I said, its very intense and demanding but it will prepare you exceptionally well for medical school. :thumbup:

Hate to burst your bubble but the masters program does not guarantee an acceptance into medical school. I should know because I graduate July 30th and I wasn't accepted. It's a great program and it prepared me very well for medical school but you are not guaranteed an acceptance, or even an interview for that matter. Of the 28 people in our program only 11 or 12 were accepted to kcumb. Anyways, good luck with the program! Like I said, its very intense and demanding but it will prepare you exceptionally well for medical school. :thumbup:

They started it this year because application numbers went up a great deal this year and there were many people who were more than deserving of being accepted. Admissions said they use to do it 5 years ago but it was scrapped altogether. They brought it back because of application numbers.

Last edited:
They started it this year because application numbers went up a great deal this year and there were many people who were more than deserving of being accepted. Admissions said they use to do it 5 years ago but it was scrapped altogether. They brought it back because of application numbers.

Hmm. That's very interesting. Seems like maybe I picked the wrong year to be in the program. I'm graduating the program with a 3.7 and a 26 mcat. My undergrad gpa was a little below 3.25 so I wasn't even offered an interview. Many people in my class had mcats in the 25-28 range, low undergrad gpas but high gpas in the program and were not given an offer. Caused quite a bit of problems. Many disgruntled students. Maybe they made the changes because of that. Doesn't look good when less than half of the people in a masters program are not accepted to their own school. Anyways, best of luck. It's an amazing school and the program is top notch. Writing the thesis is kind of a pain and the comprehensive exam is a lot of work but you will learn a whole lot.

Hmm. That's very interesting. Seems like maybe I picked the wrong year to be in the program. I'm graduating the program with a 3.7 and a 26 mcat. My undergrad gpa was a little below 3.25 so I wasn't even offered an interview. Many people in my class had mcats in the 25-28 range, low undergrad gpas but high gpas in the program and were not given an offer. Caused quite a bit of problems. Many disgruntled students. Maybe they made the changes because of that. Doesn't look good when less than half of the people in a masters program are not accepted to their own school. Anyways, best of luck. It's an amazing school and the program is top notch. Writing the thesis is kind of a pain and the comprehensive exam is a lot of work but you will learn a whole lot.

Your masters gpa is awesome. I am sure you will get into a different D.O. school with that masters gpa. I was lucky that i had a decently good gpa and mcat in my undergrad. I interviewed this cycle and was wait-listed, I'm very fortunate they gave me this offer because I was honestly headed to SGU lol. You'll do great! goodluck:thumbup:

Just wanted to say thanks for the upper class guys for contributing, great info. Really pulling for this school!

I added this school later in the application season. Like November?

From the time my application was received by KCUMB till I received a secondary was about 24 hours. I received an interview invite within 8 hours of turning in the secondary. I was a 25Q, Caucasian male, sGPA 3.9, cGPA at a 3.88.

I interviewed and was accepted. I am now attending there in the fall!

My husband will be applying here once summer classes are over, August 2nd. We will be attending one of their upcoming open houses :) This is his #1 choice for D.O.; good luck to all!

anyone got a secondary yet?

Got a email yesterday and was all excited, but turned out to be just a "o hi" email :p

Got a secondary!!! Just kidding...

Really like this school, but don't think my stats are good enough:
3.36 gpa, 3.31 sgpa, 26 mcat
EC of teaching basic health to homeless, helping low-income minority students apply for college or post high school plans, 3 years volunteer in hospital and pediatric clinic, research with local med school. thoughts?

EC of teaching basic health to homeless, helping low-income minority students apply for college or post high school plans, 3 years volunteer in hospital and pediatric clinic, research with local med school. thoughts?

You may get an interview. You are fairly early in the application process so that definitely helps. :thumbup:

Make sure if you get an interview prepare your backside off since your gpa is slightly on the lower end. Your EC's may make up for it!

Goodluck hopefully it works out for ya:luck::thumbup:

We have similar stats

cGPA: 3.26
MCAT: 32

We might get some love, but depends on how competitive this yr is
Gotta kill the interview tho ;)

I added this school later in the application season. Like November?

From the time my application was received by KCUMB till I received a secondary was about 24 hours. I received an interview invite within 8 hours of turning in the secondary. I was a 25Q, Caucasian male, sGPA 3.9, cGPA at a 3.88.

I interviewed and was accepted. I am now attending there in the fall!

:thumbup: This gives me a little more hope. Obviously I plan on doing better when I retake, but I've always tried to prepare for the worst...

^
Dam that high GPA

I thought our GPA were pretty similar ... and always thought GPA>MCAT (?) :confused:

Wtf. Similiar stats = gpa and mcat are similiar hence statS plural

We actually hav similiar stats. Best of luck 2 you

I just submitted by secondary! wish me luck! hope we all fill these seats! Does anyone know how we can get LOR in to them? i have 2 DO who graduated from here i want to send secondary to !

Wait, what? Has anyone else gotten a secondary? I didn't think they were coming out until the end of this week.

I just submitted by secondary! wish me luck! hope we all fill these seats! Does anyone know how we can get LOR in to them? i have 2 DO who graduated from here i want to send secondary to !

troll!

I'm a little late to the party but I've finally got my primary submitted! I'm wondering if I won't get a secondary due to my 24 MCAT but I retake on Aug. 15th so hopefully I'll do better

You know you could get banned for this, don't you?

Hey everyone, just got rejected through their secondary prescreen, even though I received secondaries from TUCOM and CCOM. After calling them, they said that when they pre-screen, they will not accept ANY student whose GPA average is below a 3.25. Unfortunately, I didn't do so well in my undergraduate, but my gGPA was 3.75 for a Master's in Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences. Good luck to everyone else applying!

wow i can't believe it. i got screened out for kcumb secondary.

I haven't gotten anything either way yet....

Hey everyone, just got rejected through their secondary prescreen, even though I received secondaries from TUCOM and CCOM. After calling them, they said that when they pre-screen, they will not accept ANY student whose GPA average is below a 3.25. Unfortunately, I didn't do so well in my undergraduate, but my gGPA was 3.75 for a Master's in Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences. Good luck to everyone else applying!

wow i can't believe it. i got screened out for kcumb secondary.

I'm sorry to hear that for both of you, best of luck at other places!

All I got so far is a, "Thank you for applying!" e-mail. Herm...

Once you had your AACOMAS app released how long did it take to receive the secondary?