Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FYI - If anyone is interested in watching the Research Symposium Live on YouTube the links are below:

Reception Thursday March 24 Live at 6 PM CST

Research Symposium Friday March 25 Live at 2:30 PM CST

Members don't see this ad.

Turned down my acceptance. Congrats to whomever gets it off the wait-list!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently on the waitlist and I just got an email about first year students applying for financial aid. Does this indicate I might have a seat or is it the general email they send to everyone? Thanks in advance (trying not to get my hopes up!). :)

I'm currently on the waitlist and I just got an email about first year students applying for financial aid. Does this indicate I might have a seat or is it the general email they send to everyone? Thanks in advance (trying not to get my hopes up!). :)

I received the email and I was wondering the something! I think it was an mass email =(

Match List Info sent out by the Dean today (most up to date!):

We had a 100% match this year, and below is a list of the residency programs they are matriculating into. Some of the hospitals listed have more than one student matched.

Anesthesiology ANES- 11

St. Louis University SOM
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
University of Kentucky Med Ctr
University of Kansas School of Medicine
Loyola University Medical Center
University of Oklahoma COM
Case Western Univ Hosps Case Med Ctr
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
St. Luke's Hospital

Diagnostic Radiology (Year 1 and Year 2)- 10

McLaren-Macomb
Oakwood Southshore Medical Center
Larkin Community Hospital
Yale-New Haven Hospital
University of Missouri - Columbia
Texas A&M-Scott & White
Cook County Stronger Hospital
Ohio State University
Medical College of Wisconsin

Emergency Medicine- 21

Doctor's Hospital-Columbus
Desert Regional Medical Center
Mt. Sinai Medical Center
York Hospital
St. Vincents Mercy Medical Center
NYP Hosp-Columbia & Cornell-NY
University of Missouri Kansas City
Hofstra NSLIJ SOM
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Western Michigan Univ Stryker SOM
McLaren-Macomb
St. Francis Medical Center
Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliate Hospitals
McLaren-Oakland
Central Michigan University COM
University Hospitals
Southern Illinois Univeristy SOM

Family Medicine- 33

Doctor's Hospital-Columbus
St. Anthony North Hospital
North Colorado Med Ctr
New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Cox Family Medicine (SWMO AHEC)
Adena Regional Medical Center
Lincoln Medical Education Partnership
West Suburban Hospital Medical Center
Des Peres Hospital
Scott Air Force Base
Texas Tech University Affiliate Hosp
Siouxland Medical Education Foundation
Our Lady of Lourdes
McLaren-Oakland
Research Medical Center
White County Medical Center
Oklahoma State Univ Medical Center
Mercy Medical Center
Trinity Bettendorf
Floyd Medical Center
Mercy Hospital
AHS Morristown Medical Center
Via Christi Regional Medical Center
Sky Ridge Medical Center

General Surgery- 14

Marshfield Clinic-St. Joseph's Hosp-WI
St. John Providence Health System
Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center
Genesys Regional Med-Health Park
Wright Patterson Air Force Base Medical Center
St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center
McLaren General Surgery Consortium
McLaren-Greater Lansing
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Arnot Ogden Medical Center

Internal Medicine- 74

West Anaheim Med Ctr
Metro Health Hospital
Medical College of Georgia
Henry Ford Health Science Center
Pinnacle Health Community General Hospital
Portsmouth Navy Medical Center
White County Medical Center
Fort Worth Plaza
University of Minnesota Medical School
Mercy Center North Iowa
White Memorial Med Ctr
Sky Ridge Medical Center
Mt. Sinai Medical Center
University of Texas Medical Branch
Palisades Medical Center
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
McLaren-Macomb
Largo Medical Center
Henry Ford Macomb
Shands Hospital
University of Chicago Medical Center
Skagit Regional Health
Eastern VA Medical School
New York Medical College-Westchester
University of Texas Health Science Center
Mercy Medical Center
Parkview Medical Center
Plaza Medical Center
St. Louis University SOM
Sacred Heart Med Ctr
North Broward Hosp. Dist.
McLaren-Greater Lansing
San Diego Naval Medical Center
University of California Irvine Medical Center
Mercy Hospital
St. James Hospital and Health
McLaren-Oakland
Adena Regional Medical Center
Virginia Commonwealth University Health System
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
Our Lady of Lourdes
Geisinger Health System
St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center
Grandview Hospital & Medical Center
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Oklahoma State Univ Medical Center
Olive View-UCLA Med Ctr
St. Vincent Hospital and Health Care Center Program
University Hospitals
Texas A&M-Scott & White
University of Connecticut
Eisenhower Army Medical Center

Internal Medicine- Pediatrics-1

Beaumont Health System

Neurology –Pediatric- 1

Louisiana State University School of Medicine

Neurology- 6

University of Arizona Affiliate Hospitals
Botsford General Hospital
Garden City Hospital

Neurological Surgery – 1

Desert Regional Medical Center

Obstetrics and Gynecology- 15

Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center
UC San Francisco
McLaren-Greater Lansing
Sparrow Hospital
Akron General Medical Center
Rush University Medical Center
York Hospital
Tripler Army Medical Center
Creighton Univ Affil Hosps

Orthopedic Surgery- 9

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
St. Mary's Medical Center- Blue Springs
Plainview Hospital
McLaren-Macomb
Genesys Regional Med-Health Park
McLaren-Oakland

Otolaryngology-2

Tulane Univ SOM
Grandview Hospital & Medical Center

Pathology- 2

University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
Madigan Army Medical Center

Pediatrics- 19

St. Louis University SOM
Palm Beach Consortium for Graduate Medical Education
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
University of Illinois COM
University of Louisville School of Medicine
Shands Hospital
Advocate Christ Medical Center
Beaumont Health System
Maine Medical Center
Wright Patterson Air Force Base Medical Center
Children's Mercy Hospital

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation- 8

University of North Carolina Hospitals
VA Greater LA Health System
University of Texas Medical School
Indiana University SOM

Psychiatry- 15

Case Western Univ Hosps Case Med Ctr
University Hospitals
St. Mary Mercy Hospital
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education
University of Texas Health Science Center
Palm Beach Consortium for Graduate Medical Education
The Medical Center
University of South Dakota School of Medicine
Georgetown Univ Hosp
University of Michigan Hosps
Providence Sacred Heart Med. Ctr.
Creighton Univ Affil Hosps
St. Louis University SOM

Traditional Rotating Internship-16

St Petersburg General Hospital
Largo Medical Center
Mountain View Regional MC
Capital Regional Medical Center
St. James Hospital and Health
Sky Ridge Medical Center
Grand Strand Reg Med Ctr

Reactions: 5 users
I think for any one on the wait list it is notmal to receive financial aid information. It would be best to just fill out financial aid that way whenever you do get pulled from the wait list, KCU has all that to get started and not waiting around for verification or cosigners. I filled out my FAFSA and KCU fin aid info today.

That is an awesome match list. Gratz on the 100% match rate!!!!

Quick question; there's no "oncology" section for the residencies you listed, would that be under "Internal medicine"? Or how does that work?

Quick question; there's no "oncology" section for the residencies you listed, would that be under "Internal medicine"? Or how does that work?
Oncology is an IM sub-specialty that you do a fellowship for AFTER 3 years of IM..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

What thw above user said is correct, medical oncology or hematology oncology are after an IM residency as a fellowship, however radiation oncology is it's own residency :)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
What thw above user said is correct, medical oncology or hematology oncology are after an IM residency as a fellowship, however radiation oncology is it's own residency :)

Thanks as always:)

And Man. That is a lotttt of years of school and residencies and fellowships. How many years total in general would that be after graduation for hemato/onco?

Thanks as always:)

And Man. That is a lotttt of years of school and residencies and fellowships. How many years total in general would that be after graduation for hemato/onco?

Of course!

I think it is around 6 years of graduate med ed (3 yrs residency, 3 yrs fellowship). Some heme/onc tracks have an integrated research componenet (see Fred Hutch heme onc) while others are a lot more clinically focused.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

the presentation: ROMP in the Parc, was really good! Did anyone else get a chance to attend yesterday?

For the multiple obligations secondary, do y'all think it's bad to say that I skipped an event to focus on studying. For example, I missed regional playoffs with my club baseball team to study for my ochem final (which I still got a B on unfortunately). But I'm afraid that may sound like if I don't have time to do something I just don't do it. Plus I really wouldn't consider a B being successful in that situation.
Or are they looking for a situation where you had multiple things to do, and you found a way to do all of them? What do y'all think? What did y'all put for this?

Yes.

They're looking to see if you can handle doing many rigorous things at once. That's pretty much what medical school is about.

Your story isn't a deal breaker but it probably wasn't the best example to use. At least your priorities were right since you focused on studying for your exam.

Kinda random question, but hoping one of the current students can answer. I love basketball and would like to use it as a destressor. I understand that KCU doesn't have an indoor basketball court. Are there any nearby gyms that do have an indoor court?

Kinda random question, but hoping one of the current students can answer. I love basketball and would like to use it as a destressor. I understand that KCU doesn't have an indoor basketball court. Are there any nearby gyms that do have an indoor court?
I don't know of any but I'm sure 24 her fitness has one. You will get a chance to play intramural basketball with KCU students in the winter/spring months.

lol I just went through some of the class of 2019 posts from orientation through the end of august, and man you guys are funny. But also it sounds so scary and I'm not prepared at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any estimates on how much they [actually] spent for books? I know the school gives an estimate (3700 or so), but students from Accepted Students Day mostly said they only bought certain essential ones (only a couple from the list that they were provided, forgot the exact names of the authors and books) and I was just wondering if anyone had a closer estimate of how much they actually spent last year!

Just getting together an estimated budget so I can plan for how deep I will drown in debt! :D :) :nailbiting: :( :dead:

Does anyone have any estimates on how much they [actually] spent for books? I know the school gives an estimate (3700 or so), but students from Accepted Students Day mostly said they only bought certain essential ones (only a couple from the list that they were provided, forgot the exact names of the authors and books) and I was just wondering if anyone had a closer estimate of how much they actually spent last year!

Just getting together an estimated budget so I can plan for how deep I will drown in debt! :D :) :nailbiting: :( :dead:
Nahhh i sent maybe...300 on books. Would say to get Med Biochem, BRS Physio, Costanzo Physio, and maybe Basic Immuno if you have never had immunology. Everything else you can get from the slides. I bought first aid to make sure i had a good supplement. If you want, you can get moores clinical anatomyoff a second year :)

Nahhh i sent maybe...300 on books. Would say to get Med Biochem, BRS Physio, Costanzo Physio, and maybe Basic Immuno if you have never had immunology. Everything else you can get from the slides. I bought first aid to make sure i had a good supplement. If you want, you can get moores clinical anatomyoff a second year :)

On top of these books, I think it would be a good idea to get an anatomy atlas as well. Some of this stuff is hard to visualize.

How many days off do KCUCOM students get for vacation (not including national holidays)? I counted 2 weeks for winter break and 5 days for spring break, but does anyone know what the summer break is like between MS1 and MS2? Is it 1 month?

How many days off do KCUCOM students get for vacation (not including national holidays)? I counted 2 weeks for winter break and 5 days for spring break, but does anyone know what the summer break is like between MS1 and MS2? Is it 1 month?
About a month and some change!

Awesome! Thank you once again!

Forgot to ask, what about any medical equipment that they require? I saw some sets with stethoscopes, suture kits, etc. and such in the bookstore, I assume we need to buy these?

Awesome! Thank you once again!

Forgot to ask, what about any medical equipment that they require? I saw some sets with stethoscopes, suture kits, etc. and such in the bookstore, I assume we need to buy these?

They say it's a required kit but you can seriously buy them off of someone or off eBay for a cheaper price if money is tight. I would def get a stethoscope and otoscope. The reflex hammer is cheap as well bur I usually borrow higherprimates tuning fork and reflex hammer hahaja.

Where can I see textbooks that are required and other equipment?

Reactions: 1 users
Jw, but do we have to buy a complete medical kit and if so, what's a good price for one sold by a second year? I was told they're usually around $1000 brand new.

I think for any one on the wait list it is notmal to receive financial aid information. It would be best to just fill out financial aid that way whenever you do get pulled from the wait list, KCU has all that to get started and not waiting around for verification or cosigners. I filled out my FAFSA and KCU fin aid info today.
What number did you use as your student ID?

Jw, but do we have to buy a complete medical kit and if so, what's a good price for one sold by a second year? I was told they're usually around $1000 brand new.

They cost about $800 brand new from the bookstore (only Heine brand) and I would not spend more than $500-600 for a used set, especially if you have to get your own stethoscope. There are also two types - Welch Allyn and Heine (I think that's how it spelled), both are fine, some prefer Welch Allyn, esp if you've worked in clinic before but the school shows you how to use both so get whichever you can find for a decent price :)

These are required but please don't go buy them. The second years can sell you our books for cheaper. Wait till you get to school to buy any textbooks.

I won't. I'll look at what second years are selling and used textbooks on amazon. I just couldn't figure out where everyone was seeing the required textbooks.

Just noticed that they updated the vaccination form on the matriculation part of their website. Looks like MMR and Varicella quantitative IgG are required as well.

They cost about $800 brand new from the bookstore (only Heine brand) and I would not spend more than $500-600 for a used set, especially if you have to get your own stethoscope. There are also two types - Welch Allyn and Heine (I think that's how it spelled), both are fine, some prefer Welch Allyn, esp if you've worked in clinic before but the school shows you how to use both so get whichever you can find for a decent price :)

Great, thank you! And just to clarify, this is something that we are required to buy? I remember @AlteredScale saying they only used a couple pieces from the set and just borrowed other things

Just noticed that they updated the vaccination form on the matriculation part of their website. Looks like MMR and Varicella quantitative IgG are required as well.

I must have seen that form in the first place then. I had been planning on getting them all done. I was hoping to be able to wait to get those titers done along with my Hep B once I finish the series. That wouldn't be until sometime in June though and they want me to get the MMR and Varicella done by the May 1 deadline, unfortunately.

I found a couple of sites online that have next day results and are rather inexpensive. All costs are included and I verified that they are quantitative tests. Labreqs.com was one of the cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I must have seen that form in the first place then. I had been planning on getting them all done. I was hoping to be able to wait to get those titers done along with my Hep B once I finish the series. That wouldn't be until sometime in June though and they want me to get the MMR and Varicella done by the May 1 deadline, unfortunately.

I found a couple of sites online that have next day results and are rather inexpensive. All costs are included and I verified that they are quantitative tests. Labreqs.com was one of the cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I must have downloaded an older form lol. Thanks for all the info!

Great, thank you! And just to clarify, this is something that we are required to buy? I remember @AlteredScale saying they only used a couple pieces from the set and just borrowed other things

You can get all the pieces separately or borrow them but you definitely need to have all of the equipment. In my opinion, it's a lot easier to have your own because you'll use it and you might be in the same lab group as friends so you might not be able to switch easily. Reflex hammers and tuning forks are decently priced in the bookstore if you need them last minute.

All the doctors I have shadowed know this school and say great things about it.

Also, the my own doctors know and love the school and even have partners who are graduates of KCU.

Outside of medicine people are clueless. I guarantee if you asked 100 people, only 10 or so would actually know what it takes to become a doctor and the process. No one understands the details and there isn't a reason they would.

No, they definitely dont. So true. But like you said, you cant expect those not involved in the process to know a lot about it.

Either way, I still think KCU is one of the best DO schools in the country.

Reactions: 2 users