Just Thinking

CScull

Is Positive, O Positive
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So you graduating kids have made me think about collegiate things recently and I want to share my predicament with you...

I really like two schools, both are private and small. They'll cost about the same to me with financial aid and scholarships and stuff...

School number 1 is my favorite school. It has a much better science program, wonderful research opportunities, and the school itself is newer and more advanced. I like the people better and the atmosphere better and it'll probably make it easier for me if I want to go into med school...

School number 2 is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately it's a little more snobby than school number 1 and everything's a lot older there. They have more required religion credits which I'm not really opposed to excepting that I'll have less time to study other stuff I'm interested in. They also are a "learning based school" so they don't allow Professors to do any research programs, ick. Here's the kicker though, it has a Pharmacy School, and School number 1 doesn't. They also reserve 55 of their 110 seats to only their UGs.

Right now I'm not sure if I even really want to do Pharmacy School though, and I'm kinda leaning towards School number 1. The only problem is it'll be a whole lot tougher to go to School number 2's Pharmacy program if I don't start there. I'm not really worried about the extra year, though, the way it's looking both schools are pretty much free for me unless my mom miraculously starts making an extra sixty thousand dollars a year.

So here’s my question then: As I’m not entirely sure whether I want to do Pharmacy or Medicine, would it be wiser to go to the school I love and take my chances with the competition, or go to a school I like alright and have a better chance of getting their pharmacy school?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Since it sounds like you really like School 1, I'd probably say that is your better bet.

Going somewhere where you'll be happy will help you excel and you'll be in a better position when it comes down to applying to professional programs.

There's a few things that put me off regarding School 2:
1.) You describe school 1 as "school I love" which already puts it a step back
2.) You're not set on pharm... and even if you were, there's more than just the one program out there. You don't need to go to a school you're not crazy about just because it slightly increases the odds you'll be accepted to a single pharm program
3.) you're making a case against school 2 from the start, it pretty much sounds like you've made up your mind... go with it.

If I were you, I would pick school number 1. Even as a premed who has no life, at least have chances to do research, learn what you love, and even party.

Also, you don't even know if you want to go to pharmacy school. Say you go to school 2 and you find out you'd rather get an MD; you'd be much better off going to school 1.

If you are bent on going to school 2's pharmacy school, it would mean that you'd have to work a bit harder while going to school 1. Besides, it's the school you really want to go. Just go there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto. I would pick school number one as well.

So you graduating kids have made me think about collegiate things recently and I want to share my predicament with you...

I really like two schools, both are private and small. They'll cost about the same to me with financial aid and scholarships and stuff...

School number 1 is my favorite school. It has a much better science program, wonderful research opportunities, and the school itself is newer and more advanced. I like the people better and the atmosphere better and it'll probably make it easier for me if I want to go into med school...

School number 2 is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately it's a little more snobby than school number 1 and everything's a lot older there. They have more required religion credits which I'm not really opposed to excepting that I'll have less time to study other stuff I'm interested in. They also are a "learning based school" so they don't allow Professors to do any research programs, ick. Here's the kicker though, it has a PharmacySchool, and School number 1 doesn't. They also reserve 55 of their 110 seats to only their UGs.

Right now I'm not sure if I even really want to do PharmacySchool though, and I'm kinda leaning towards School number 1. The only problem is it'll be a whole lot tougher to go to School number 2's Pharmacy program if I don't start there. I'm not really worried about the extra year, though, the way it's looking both schools are pretty much free for me unless my mom miraculously starts making an extra sixty thousand dollars a year.

So here’s my question then: As I’m not entirely sure whether I want to do Pharmacy or Medicine, would it be wiser to go to the school I love and take my chances with the competition, or go to a school I like alright and have a better chance of getting their pharmacy school?

Thanks.

Yea Depakote is right you're making a case from the start against School 2 , but that's not the only reason why I'd agree with the others and go with School 1 .

Clearly your mind and heart is set on this school, in fact you've already weighed more pros than cons with school 1 over school 2 . So I'd pick school 1 . :)

School #1 is the school for you based on what you've said about it ;):thumbup:

I would pick Ohio State and party with me.

Pick school number 1. You seem to be more happy if you were there and plus even if they hold half the seats in school 2 for the UG's theres no guarantee you will get one. So go to school number 1...there are dozens of pharmD and med schools you can apply to in the future, its not a big deal.

I believe its most important to go where you will get the better exposure and education, and since price isnt of concern to you, it seems your choice is obvious.

Go with your gut, which is - I'm guessing - saying to go with number 1. It sounds like you have a honest desire to go to number 1, but you're worried about possible future prospects. Just remember that there are plenty of pharm schools, and being able to enjoy yourself in college will allow you to do better, and having research will make you stand out from others.

Definitely go with the school that 1) you feel more comfortable with, and 2) gives you more latitude with what you want to study. Coming from a school/program that has a lot of requirements to graduate, it's definitely been a beating. I wish had more time in my schedule to take random classes that I'm interested in but have nothing to do with my major. You might run into this situation yourself.

Also, once application season rolls around, don't discount financial aid. I'd say if you get a substantial award at school #2, it may be worth it to go there.

Best of luck.

I would pick Ohio State and party with me.

Haha! Sorry May, I'm afraid I'll be staying a little closer to home in a much littler school. Thanks for the invite though. ;)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm definitely feeling better about deciding now, but I'm still afraid I'll regret it if I choose to go the Pharmacy route. Oh well, at least I'll have an awesome time as a UG right?

To ColeOnTheRoll: I'm probably going to get about the same amount of financial aid from both; a lot. With the projected Aid I would get from them and the guaranteed scholarships the schools have for my ACT score and GPA both will be *hopefully* full tuition. School Number two would allow me to carry over my aid and scholarships for my first 2 years of PharmSchool though, its a 2+4 program. Unfortunately I wouldn't come out with a major, as I would at School number 2.

Last edited:
Haha! Sorry May, I'm afraid I'll be staying a little closer to home in a much littler school. Thanks for the invite though. ;)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm definitely feeling better about deciding now, but I'm still afraid I'll regret it if I choose to go the Pharmacy route. Oh well, at least I'll have an awesome time as a UG right?

To ColeOnTheRoll: I'm probably going to get about the same amount of financial aid from both; a lot. With the projected Aid I would get from them and the guaranteed scholarships the schools have for my ACT score and GPA both will be *hopefully* full tuition. School Number two would allow me to carry over my aid and scholarships for my first 2 years of PharmSchool though, its a 2+4 program. Unfortunately I wouldn't come out with a major, as I would at School number 2.

With that said, then, you should definitely go with the school you prefer for whatever reasons you have. I think you should only be worried about not graduating with a formal degree if you think there's a chance you may not go through with pharm school. That would totally suck if you got into year two or three and decided it wasn't for you.

Pick number 3 me Lord...

I kid. Sounds like you really like number 1. Right? Just go with number 1. Plus, don't let that 55 seat thing fish you in, if you don't even want to go there. Go with your heart.

If you say so, number three it is then... I feel like this is the part in the movie where we burst out singing: "Go With Your Heart"!

School number 1, no contest.

Extra research and science opportunities will help you out -- if you decide to go to pharmacy school, you'll get in if you work hard, especially with a good science program around you. And I think going to a school with required religion will be a mistake -- in my opinion, that's for people who are passionate about that religion, want to spend all the time with that religion, and want everyone else around them to be of the same religion. You don't want to be a grown adult and still not be allowed to choose your own religious practices because your school mandates that you must practice religion their way. Also, I'm guessing that school probably isn't very diverse if everyone has to practice the same religion -- being around more diversity will help you out in the "real world."