Just matched Internal Medicine/ looking to subspecialize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMaddness23456

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
First post, so bear with me. I just matched into IM and Im fairly certain I want to sub specialize. I know GI and Cards are both competitive, but I'm leaning towards either one of those, however I am not against branching out into other fields depending on my rotations. What should I start focusing on as Intern year comes around if i do decide to maintain the GI or Cards route?
Also, what do programs look at mostly (research, letters of rec? school I went to? anything from medical school count? STEP1/2/3, etc.?)
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
First post, so bear with me. I just matched into IM and Im fairly certain I want to sub specialize. I know GI and Cards are both competitive, but I'm leaning towards either one of those, however I am not against branching out into other fields depending on my rotations. What should I start focusing on as Intern year comes around if i do decide to maintain the GI or Cards route?
Also, what do programs look at mostly (research, letters of rec? school I went to? anything from medical school count? STEP1/2/3, etc.?)
Thanks!

Spend your intern year learning on how to be a good doctor. You seem pretty wide open, and like most interns are a classic "cards vs. GI." Try to get involved in a research project early on as fellowship applications sneak up fast.

They look at all of the above factors.

Reactions: 1 user