Just finished my em fellowship!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not really. We face the same hypocrisy in relation to management of things on the periphery of our scope of practice as well. Even if you're a good doctor, if you do something that you were not explicitly trained for and a bad outcome comes of it there will always be a question of whether that bad outcome is a result of lack of training. This is true for all fields, not just FM docs in the ED.

Bottom line, if you've gotten the training (residency) and passed the test (board certification) it's much harder for people to argue that you straight up didn't know what you were doing, especially if the data isn't 100% clear what happened.

lemme tell you that dx’ing and managing PE is well within the scope of my training and practice. These things often come into the primary care office first, and we are often (especially in reaidency) managing these patients in the medical floor or ICU.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This back and forth just underlies the horrible culture in medicine and in society.
You went to med school, did a residency, and your job is to take care of someone suffering from an illness. Doing it with the intention of causing no harm. Also, being reasonable to know your limitations and when to ask for help.
Why are we fighting one another: EM vs FM vs this and that. Get a damn job and do it well. Focus on you and the people you serve.
We should in my opinion worry for people doing the jobs without the appropriate pathway. In America today, people want to play hero ball without going through the steps. We short cut things because of financial gains.
If a mid level can do what you do, then it’s time to revise the entire med curriculum. Split into academic doctors (those who want to learn about kreb cycle and cAMP and all) vs practice doctors (show me algorithm and reasoning and let me get the patient back home).
Bottom, we are a mess. Rather than fight other doctors because we want to protect our turf we should fight those who want to shut cut their way into what we do.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I'm very grateful to be in a big city working 20 mins from my house and making good money. It's not easy to jump from fm to em in a nice city. I do have a complaint to the internet world...

Why is my family member who just finished mid level training a candidate to work at a level 1 trauma in any big city in America? Should I have gone to pa school after my residency instead of doing the fellowship? I hear some of you out there. I prolly should have done em residency... Or mid levels only work in the fast track (untrue)... Or, mid levels are directly monitored by attending... But still... Wtf??
Where are these major metropolitan centers where NP/PA's are taking care of complex cases?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an update, everyone. I had to cancel taking my ABPS oral boards because of coronavirus. It's just as well, as I would prefer to do an oral board review course before taking the exam. In the meantime, Ive been using Emergency Medicine Oral Board Review by Okuda and Nelson, which has been great so far. If anyone knows of an online oral board review course, please let me know!

Hey @Kach, I’ve matched this year into a residency in FM and would possibly be interested in persuing an EM fellowship in the future. Could you provide some insight on the employment oppurtuilbities in the ER for FM trained physicians. Can you find a job in the suburbs of most medium/large cities such as Chicago, Houston, San Diego, Phoenix, Seattle etc etc etc, I don’t mind working in a smaller hospital but would prefer a nice sized city whether urban or suburban.

Also how competitive is an EM fellowship as a graduating FM resident? And how many years long in the fellowship?

TIA. And good luck on your upcoming boards.

Hey @Kach, I’ve matched this year into a residency in FM and would possibly be interested in pursuing an EM fellowship in the future.
Congrats!!

Could you provide some insight on the employment opportunities in the ER for FM trained physicians.
They are abundant and lucrative.

Can you find a job in the suburbs of most medium/large cities such as Chicago, Houston, San Diego, Phoenix, Seattle etc etc etc,
I work in a desirable suburb on a coast near a large city. So the answer is a big YES!

I don’t mind working in a smaller hospital but would prefer a nice sized city whether urban or suburban.
I feel you. BTW, I worked in a bunch of smaller places. They were a wonderful experience. I now work in a 20k and 35k annual ED volume hospital. I'm also a per diem hospitalist which I work 2 or 3 times a month. It is very wonderful.

Also how competitive is an EM fellowship as a graduating FM resident?
I don't know. Don't worry about it. Just apply widely.

And how many years long in the fellowship?
1 year, man! It's a good deal.

TIA. And good luck on your upcoming boards.
Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Love