Anyone did a Hospitalist Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genessis42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As in, would it help if you're trying to get hired in a large, urban place? Are they starting to become the norm like it has for Pediatric Hospitalists?

Can't someone also do a CAQ? I think ABFM offers one.

I'm an M4 who's about to be an FM PGY1, so I've got a long way to go.

Members don't see this ad.

It's technically not a CAQ, it's a Designation of Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine (DFPHM). Also in order to sit for this test, you need 3 years of unsupervised hospital clinical medicine + 3000 encounters in 3 years, meaning you have to practice as a hospitalist for 3 years prior to sitting for it.

Now do you necessarily need it? No. I did inpatient medicine for 7 years in an urban setting without it. Could I sit for this test? Absolutely, but don't need to (nor want to lol).

Depending on where you are going for residency, the strength of your inpatient service should be enough to practice solo. Some programs have the FM residents run codes in the hospital, see their own patients in the ICU, do their own inpatient procedures, etc. I say do a fellowship if you feel like you need another year under your belt to get more exposure to inpatient medicine, otherwise it's not worth it.

That being said, Hospitalist fellowships in FM are only one year (as opposed to 3 year pediatric hospitalist fellowships) and to sit for this test you still need another 2-3 years of unsupervised clinic medicine, meaning you have to be attending status anyway to even take the test.

Hope this helps, and good luck with residency!

I’m doing inpatient medicine full time now straight out of residency. A good amount of large urban places usually don’t care much about fm vs im.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's technically not a CAQ, it's a Designation of Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine (DFPHM). Also in order to sit for this test, you need 3 years of unsupervised hospital clinical medicine + 3000 encounters in 3 years, meaning you have to practice as a hospitalist for 3 years prior to sitting for it.

Now do you necessarily need it? No. I did inpatient medicine for 7 years in an urban setting without it. Could I sit for this test? Absolutely, but don't need to (nor want to lol).

Depending on where you are going for residency, the strength of your inpatient service should be enough to practice solo. Some programs have the FM residents run codes in the hospital, see their own patients in the ICU, do their own inpatient procedures, etc. I say do a fellowship if you feel like you need another year under your belt to get more exposure to inpatient medicine, otherwise it's not worth it.

That being said, Hospitalist fellowships in FM are only one year (as opposed to 3 year pediatric hospitalist fellowships) and to sit for this test you still need another 2-3 years of unsupervised clinic medicine, meaning you have to be attending status anyway to even take the test.

Hope this helps, and good luck with residency!

I’m doing inpatient medicine full time now straight out of residency. A good amount of large urban places usually don’t care much about fm vs im.
That's good to hear. I'm just wondering how it would work at teaching hospitals.

I wasn't sure how difficult it would be for FM to work in an urban, tertiary type of hospital.

Does the hospitalist fellowship actually help get you more job offers?

As in, would it help if you're trying to get hired in a large, urban place? Are they starting to become the norm like it has for Pediatric Hospitalists?

Can't someone also do a CAQ? I think ABFM offers one.

I'm an M4 who's about to be an FM PGY1, so I've got a long way to go.
Anyone trying to sell you a hospitalist fellowship is trying to take your time and money.

Reactions: 3 users
That's good to hear. I'm just wondering how it would work at teaching hospitals.
Speaking specifically for teaching hospitals with a strong IM presence, the ACGME allows FM attendings to supervise IM residents if they have the CAQ in hospitalist medicine.

Many large hospitals also have FM programs who would probably be happy to hire you without that.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess the main problem with some of these 1-year fellowships is that they’re not official ACGME. That could put you in the mercy of the program and ther experiences probably vary

Reactions: 1 users