June 19 PCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twiggy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured we'd start a different thread...not sure if the mods want this in the "what do my scores mean" sticky. First time taker, haven't taken any organic chem yet or A&P (self taught while studying for PCAT). Used Dr. Collins, Kaplan book, and the REA book:

Verbal Ability 423 82
Biology 455 98 :)
Reading Comp 419 75 :(
Quant Ability 429 84
Chemistry 434 88

Composite 432 92

Writing 3.0/3.0

Thank GOD I don't have to take it again in Oct.! Good luck to everyone! :D

Members don't see this ad.

An 89 is not a bad score! Assuming that everything else about your application is strong I believe that you're in good shape and if I were you you should focus on applying early since UK is rolling. That's just my two cents about it. Try the other forums especially in the Pre-Pharmacy threads like WAMC and should I retake it for other people's opinions (past and present)

Yeah I wasn't worried about the composite, the Biology score just makes me a little nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, i am writng pcat in 20 days and i found i can not answer the microby question in the pearson pcat propely.I checked kaplan,mcgrowhill and dr collines for this part.Dr collin is better than anything but still there are some questions about desease that i can not find any refrence to study for.do you have any suggestion how to improve the micb section?
thanks

No offense, but I think maybe you should focus on improving your writing skills so you can score well on the writing prompt, verbal ability and reading comp. Not knowing a few diseases will not be a huge problem; not knowing how to spell and write a good essay will cost you big points.

stats: first and last time taker, no orgo or microbio, reviewed kaplan 2010-2011 guide for 2 weeks, incoming sophomore year at Pitt, conditional acceptance 2-4 program, cumulative GPA: 3.82, sciences/math GPA: 3.8

Verbal Ability: 82
Biology: 91
Reading Comprehension: 86
Quantitative Ability: 80
Chemistry: 77
Writing: 3/3

Composite: 88

YOU DID EXCELLENT TO BE A FIRST TIME TAKER AND WILL BECOME A SOPHOMORE NEXT YEAR!!!! I HOPE I CAN DO THE SAME AND I AM TAKING MINE ON AUGUST 21, 2010! I CANNOT WAIT SO I CAN BE DONE WITH THIS DREADFUL TEST.:thumbup:

Verbal Ability 443 95%
Biology 440 94%
Reading 435 90%
Quantitative 470 99%
Chemistry 455 96%
Overall 449% 99%

Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

I have two questions, though. Would everyone who used Pearson tests give what they scored on those? Also, if I were to make a study guide detailing what I did for the PCAT, where would be the best place to post it on StudentDoc? Thanks.

Hi, just wondering if you have posted somewhere?

Well I would've never been able to sleep once I knew the scores were up. I was planning to take it twice more and had already paid for the 3 practice tests, but I got my scores and... couldn't believe it. Been out of school since '04 and crammed Dr Collins for Calc & Chem plus chem textbooks.

Verbal Ability 443 95%
Biology 435 91%
Reading 458 98%
Quantitative 440 92%
Chemistry 444 93%
Overall 444 98%

Writing 3/3 (If I didn't get even 3.5 on conventions of language I don't know who can get a 5)

Getting a 90 composite with an 85 chem was the dream score for me for my first test. Now I get to really focus on shadowing and experience instead of studying for 2 more PCATs. I know I can cancel my August test but I don't suppose I can cancel the practice tests (or sell them)?

Did Dr. Collin's helped you on the verbal part of the PCAT?

When determining composite scores, are certain sections weighted more than others? i.e. chem more than verbal?

When determining composite scores, are certain sections weighted more than others? i.e. chem more than verbal?
They scaled composite score is an average of all 5 of the subsection's scaled score. Then the overall scaled composite score is then compared to everyone else's hence the percentile.

You're gonna retake a 88 composite? :confused:

yea i think i should. my gpa is very bad.

gpa 3.0
gen chem - C+, orgo 1 - B+, orgo 2 - C+, bio 1 - B- Bio 2 - C+

my breakdown:
I studied for a week, didnt study for verbal or reading comp..
verbal - 69
reading comp - 25
bio - 91
chem - 93
quant - 97
essay 3/3
composite - 88

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone's score been received by PharmCAS yet? I was thinking it would have shown up by now.

Hm, well you still did excellent on your 3 main subjects. Great job! I guess the 25 in RC puts you on the fence a bit. & I think if you show a good upward trend + higher grades in the rest of your pre-reqs, you should be fine.

& my pharmcas shows that they received my score on 7/30. Kind of weird though... It says...

Date Taken Date Received
June 10 07/30/2010

I'm pretty sure I didn't take it on the 10th... *shrugs

Hm, well you still did excellent on your 3 main subjects. Great job! I guess the 25 in RC puts you on the fence a bit. & I think if you show a good upward trend + higher grades in the rest of your pre-reqs, you should be fine.

& my pharmcas shows that they received my score on 7/30. Kind of weird though... It says...

Date Taken Date Received
June 10 07/30/2010

It probably means June 2010, since PharmCAS only asks for the month and year of the test. Has that been showing up on your PharmCAS since 7/30? I guess I might have to call and find out why my scores haven't been received yet.

Ah, that makes much more sense.

And yes, it updated for me on 7/30. Maybe double check that you input the correct cid? Good luck though! :)

Hey guys

I have all of Kaplan's books and I want to get rid of them so if anybody is interested, let me know and I will make you a good deal:)

Date Taken Date Received
June 10 07/30/2010

yea, I just wanna shore up my reading comp. I know i can do a lot better if I worked at it. I wanna bring my composite to 99.. thats my goal. lol. I'm gonna spend a month this time studying instead of the week ;\

Might as well share...I'm so disappointed. First time test taker. I had a range of 62-82 on 2 Pearson practice tests, so I was really hoping for at least 75.

VA 82
Bio 45
RC 69
QA 48
Chem 48
Comp 62

Writing 3/3

All my eggs are in 1 basket...due to being a miltary spouse - my only option is Creighton U Distance. Not sure of Pharmcas GPA, but it should be around 3.5. I am a CPhT and have lots of pharmacy volunteering and lots of life experiences (leadership, work...).

I signed up for Aug, but haven't had a chance to study yet. I'm taking the month of Sept off from work to study for Oct, and I'll only be taking A&P II this fall.

Is it worth trying in Aug, or should I cancel Aug, and just take Oct? I'm worried about coming in lower in Aug, since I haven't reviewed since June. Any thoughts?

I was just wondering how heavily is RC weighed compared to math and chem. How bad does it look if you got high A percentile for both math and chem but only like 40 for RC?

I was just wondering how heavily is RC weighed compared to math and chem. How bad does it look if you got high A percentile for both math and chem but only like 40 for RC?
If you mean how it's weighed when making your composite percentile....they're all weighed equally.

your composite percentile is based on your composite scaled score. Your composite scaled score is the average of all five scaled subscores.

If you mean how it's weighed when making your composite percentile....they're all weighed equally.

your composite percentile is based on your composite scaled score. Your composite scaled score is the average of all five scaled subscores.

I meant when it comes to applying to pharmacy schools. I got a composite of 88 with 97 in quant and 98 in chem..but my RC was 40. Do pharmacy schools look at each individual sections along with composite?

Might as well share...I'm so disappointed. First time test taker. I had a range of 62-82 on 2 Pearson practice tests, so I was really hoping for at least 75.

VA 82
Bio 45
RC 69
QA 48
Chem 48
Comp 62

Writing 3/3

All my eggs are in 1 basket...due to being a miltary spouse - my only option is Creighton U Distance. Not sure of Pharmcas GPA, but it should be around 3.5. I am a CPhT and have lots of pharmacy volunteering and lots of life experiences (leadership, work...).

I signed up for Aug, but haven't had a chance to study yet. I'm taking the month of Sept off from work to study for Oct, and I'll only be taking A&P II this fall.

Is it worth trying in Aug, or should I cancel Aug, and just take Oct? I'm worried about coming in lower in Aug, since I haven't reviewed since June. Any thoughts?

If it were me I would skip Aug and prep for October. That way you can really get ready. Everything else in your stats is good so I bet you can pull it up and you can chalk the first score up to not being ready for the format or something.

If it were me I would skip Aug and prep for October. That way you can really get ready. Everything else in your stats is good so I bet you can pull it up and you can chalk the first score up to not being ready for the format or something.

Do you know if I can transfer the pmt for the Aug test over to the Oct test? What's the latest we can cancel?

I'm worried that the Oct test puts me so late into the application cycle. I hope it wasn't a fluke that I ended w/the 62 and am missing a chance for get higher in Aug. I'd like to test the 3rd Pearson Practice Test, then decided if I should take Aug's test.

The PCAT seems so random to me. I don't understand how so many students get poor grades in class, but then score high on the PCAT. I know my Bio was low b/c I hadn't had A&P or Micro. I took A&P I this summer and am doing A&P II this fall. Micro's not a prereq for Creighton, so I'm not taking it. I don't know why my chem and quant are so low b/c I did really well in my classes. I think it has to do w/getting faster.

Update: I found in the PCAT Candidate Information Booklet that the last date to cancel August's test was July 30. They are such a scam b/c I didn't even get my June results until after that date. I guest I'm taking August.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I meant when it comes to applying to pharmacy schools. I got a composite of 88 with 97 in quant and 98 in chem..but my RC was 40. Do pharmacy schools look at each individual sections along with composite?

Depends on the school. Some schools have cutoffs for the individual sections. If you are worried about it, contact your schools and ask.

I'm a first time test taker, with 1 day of studying. Havent taken any organic yet either so i was pretty excited about my scores!

VA: 92
Bio: 98
RC:57
Quant:32
Chem: 91
Composite: 88

Pretty happy copnsidering i hate reading in general and i havent taken a math class in two years.

You studied for ONE day and made an 88? Ive been studyin since may, I better make a 675