June 19 PCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twiggy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured we'd start a different thread...not sure if the mods want this in the "what do my scores mean" sticky. First time taker, haven't taken any organic chem yet or A&P (self taught while studying for PCAT). Used Dr. Collins, Kaplan book, and the REA book:

Verbal Ability 423 82
Biology 455 98 :)
Reading Comp 419 75 :(
Quant Ability 429 84
Chemistry 434 88

Composite 432 92

Writing 3.0/3.0

Thank GOD I don't have to take it again in Oct.! Good luck to everyone! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if I were you, I would learn how to get good at them if you're really serious about pharmacy. You know that after pharmacy school you get to take another standardized test right? Ever heard of the NAPLEX?

Yeah but you just need to PASS naplex not scoring high on it.

This was my first time taking the PCAT. I feel good about it even though I didn't make anything in the 90's. Atleast I'm consistent?

VA: 73
B: 76
RC: 75
QA: 84
C: 88

Composite: 84

3/3 writing

Should I retake? I'm hoping to get into UGA or Mercer/// Stats: GPA = 3.85; a year of undergrad research; shadowed a pharmacist once; secretary of a club; will have a BS in Biochem next May. Thanks for any advice.

Side note.... I did not receive my scores in the mail and I live in Georgia.

I'm a first time taker and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my score...almost shed a few tears :))

VA- 89
Bio- 80
Quant- 94
Chem-99
RC- 63 :)mad:)
Composite- 96

Essays: 3/3

Overall can't really complain though Quant was surprising since I almost ran out of time and had to blind guess on a few.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was my first time taking the PCAT. I feel good about it even though I didn't make anything in the 90's. Atleast I'm consistent?

VA: 73
B: 76
RC: 75
QA: 84
C: 88

Composite: 84

3/3 writing

Should I retake? I'm hoping to get into UGA or Mercer/// Stats: GPA = 3.85; a year of undergrad research; shadowed a pharmacist once; secretary of a club; will have a BS in Biochem next May. Thanks for any advice.

Side note.... I did not receive my scores in the mail and I live in Georgia.

Not sure but those are my 2 schools too. I'm in GA as well. :) 85 composite. I'm not retaking. Not sure if I can get into UGA with those scores but I feel pretty good about Mercer. Your GPA is better than mine too. :thumbup:

Verbal 413 69
Biology 435 91
Reading 415 69
Math 429 84
Chemistry 472 99

Composite 433 93

I'm a first time taker. I used Collin's and Kaplan.
I'm shocked at my math score because I ran out of time and blindly filled in like 10 questions. I'm just glad I don't have to take it over again!
Hopefully this will help me get into pharm school since i only have a cum 3.35 GPA.

Does the PCAT really reflect the knowledge you have acquired through college? NO WAY! Does it determine how well your going to do your first year of pharmacy school? I think not! So why do admissions deem this test so important....:confused: I heard pharmacy school is for students whodidn't make it in to med school. Is this true? This is really sad to think about. Professors have told me that pharmacy is a mind numbing profession, but this is certainly not true. I think it is just the opinion of the academic world. What do you think?

Last edited:
I have never heard of that. People who choose pharmacy from my understanding choose it because that is what they want to do. To get into pharmacy school isn't a cake walk so I wouldn't think that people who go into pharmacy do it because they couldn't make into medical school.

I agree with you! But the requirements aren't nearly as rigorous.I heard its not nearly as competitive.... but I hope I'm wrong. No upper level math, no physics/

Verbal Ability - 443 - 95%
Biology - 425 - 84%
Reading Comp. - 419 - 75%
Quant. Ability - 432 - 87%
Chemistry -444 - 93%
Composite - 433 - 93%
Writing: 3/3

All in all, I'm pretty happy with my first (and it'll be the only!) PCAT scores. :)
Great job, everyone!

Last edited:
Congrats for all them (june 19th scores). Plz share your opinion on Dr.Collin's and Kaplan material and also about preparation. Did these materials helped you or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a second-time test taker and I could use some advice. here are my scores from june pcat:

VA 82 (77 last time)
Bio 76 (75 last time)
RC 14 :mad: (66 last time)
QA 92 (88 last time)
Chem 93 (64 last time)
Composite 80 (79 last time)

I knew I messed up on the RC section b/c I barely had time to read half of the passages! I don't know what happened, normally I finish early! I'm applying right now and am worried b/c I know they take the highest composite, but this latest test has a 14 for RC.

My gpa is pretty low too, like about 3.0. I don't plan on retaking it since I'm applying right now and that would delay me a lot I feel. What do you guys think? Any advice/something to make me feel better? haha

If anyone asks about your RC, tell them that you were shocked by the score since you got a 66 before and that you can only imagine that you misbubbled your score sheet somehow.

INsane.
I caved and bought my scores online tonight even though I'll prolly get the report in the mail tomorrow.. but I was instantly blown away out of my mind to see my comp score of 99!!!
I posted on here june 19th, the day of my PCAT, about 1 hour afterward talking about how I felt I didn't perform very well... that the real deal was way harder than the Pearson practice test, but damn! I still cant believe it, I'm so happy!!

Verbal Ability 437 - 92%
Biology 430 - 88%
Reading Comprehension 435 - 90%
Quantitative Ability 455 - 97%
Chemistry 505 - 99%

Composite 452 - 99%

I was expecting in the 70s% for verbal and reading....
80s% for bio
maybe mid 80s% for quant
possibly a 90% for chem
and I guess around an 80% for comp, based on what people were saying on here and based on the scores I got back on all three pearson practice tests.... I still cant believe it.

But anyway, I very much want to pass of my good fortune to anyone who might be retaking and am more than willing to provide info for ppl on strategies for preparation. I prepared a little differently than most people I read about here on SDN. I have posted on some other threads about my strategies/opinions of preparation if anybody wants to look just click to my other posts.
Or.. please feel free to ask me questions via personal message, that is the best way I believe. Or could get in touch via email, just ask over personal message. I feel very blessed to be in this position. I tutor students here in Austin, TX for chem/bio/math and PCAT and would like to extend a hand to students on here. I am confident I can help.

INsane.
I caved and bought my scores online tonight even though I'll prolly get the report in the mail tomorrow.. but I was instantly blown away out of my mind to see my comp score of 99!!!
I posted on here june 19th, the day of my PCAT, about 1 hour afterward talking about how I felt I didn't perform very well... that the real deal was way harder than the Pearson practice test, but damn! I still cant believe it, I'm so happy!!

Verbal Ability 437 - 92%
Biology 430 - 88%
Reading Comprehension 435 - 90%
Quantitative Ability 455 - 97%
Chemistry 505 - 99%

Composite 452 - 99%

I was expecting in the 70s% for verbal and reading....
80s% for bio
maybe mid 80s% for quant
possibly a 90% for chem
and I guess around an 80% for comp, based on what people were saying on here and based on the scores I got back on all three pearson practice tests.... I still cant believe it.

But anyway, I very much want to pass of my good fortune to anyone who might be retaking and am more than willing to provide info for ppl on strategies for preparation. I prepared a little differently than most people I read about here on SDN. I have posted on some other threads about my strategies/opinions of preparation if anybody wants to look just click to my other posts.
Or.. please feel free to ask me questions via personal message, that is the best way I believe. Or could get in touch via email, just ask over personal message. I feel very blessed to be in this position. I tutor students here in Austin, TX for chem/bio/math and PCAT and would like to extend a hand to students on here. I am confident I can help.

hey guys great post!!

Listen im taking my PCAT in like 3 weeks. Ive reviewed EVERYTHING but Im still paranoid about missing something out. i got a few questions

should i be worried about thermochemistry and electrochemistry on the chemistry section?

Did you guys happen to find a lot of trigonometry on your math sections??

Also for the biology section, about how much Microbiology was on ur test. i havn't taken microbiology yet

NOTICE: i understand that it is against the law to share too much about the questions therefore I am asking for just a very very rough general estimate and answers!1 thanks a bunch!;)

Yes study thermochemistry in fair detail wish respect to gibb's free energy, and enthalpy (H) and how these are represented on graphs of reactions. These are VERY popular questions, and often two part questions from the same thermo-graph. Electrochemistry is not as stressed but do make sure you understand the concept of cell potentials and half reactions and how to manipulate them to extrapolate information from equations given. Dr. collins has goog info/practice problems on both of these sections that prepared me for the chem questions on the real PCAT.
trig is iffy, bc sometimes they want you to know and have memorized and be able to expertly apply actual trig identities, calculus style; but sometimes they just dont. I got lucky on my exam, but most practice tests had at least one insane trig/calc integrated question that just blew my face off. I'd say if you think you are capable of those types of problems go for it, but if not focus more on other things, thermochem for example. that is what I did.
for bio, micro is important especially functions of blood components/cellular response to inflammation. those are the two most heavily tested components of microbio that i have encountered.
let me know if you have any other questions :)

Yes study thermochemistry in fair detail wish respect to gibb's free energy, and enthalpy (H) and how these are represented on graphs of reactions. These are VERY popular questions, and often two part questions from the same thermo-graph. Electrochemistry is not as stressed but do make sure you understand the concept of cell potentials and half reactions and how to manipulate them to extrapolate information from equations given. Dr. collins has goog info/practice problems on both of these sections that prepared me for the chem questions on the real PCAT.
trig is iffy, bc sometimes they want you to know and have memorized and be able to expertly apply actual trig identities, calculus style; but sometimes they just dont. I got lucky on my exam, but most practice tests had at least one insane trig/calc integrated question that just blew my face off. I'd say if you think you are capable of those types of problems go for it, but if not focus more on other things, thermochem for example. that is what I did.
for bio, micro is important especially functions of blood components/cellular response to inflammation. those are the two most heavily tested components of microbio that i have encountered.
let me know if you have any other questions :)

Hey bro, thanks for the detailed response. Ive been trying to focus on gen chem a lot. Im just flippin out because I havnt taken Micro yet and Ochem was years ago.

I was just surprised by the number of trig questions in my review books. It's a bummer we have to understand thermochemistry (did not do well in physical chemistry). I took your info to heart, thanks again for the help. Looks like im gonna have to teach myself micro.:confused:

Really Sad right now...

Verbal -86
Biology- 80
Reading comprehension 86
Quantitative- 96
Chemistry 4x :scared::mad::thumbdown:

Comp: 86

Hadn't taken organic...

did presentable on all the sections except chem...and because of that I'm going to have to retake....

Last edited:
Just got my scores in the mail (Ohio) and OMG, I was jumping up and down and actually crying. I am just so thrilled I broke the 90s.

VA: 443 (95)
Bio: 447 (96!)
RC: 419 (75)
QA: 404 (48) - was expecting that. I guessed on 50% of the questions.
Chem: 444 (93!)

Conventions of Language: 3
Problem solving: 3

Composite: 431 (92)

I am shaking. I was so sure I would have to take this again. First time test taker, studied for 9 days using Kaplan book. I'm going to go celebrate now!!

Just got my scores in the mail (Ohio) and OMG, I was jumping up and down and actually crying. I am just so thrilled I broke the 90s.

VA: 443 (95)
Bio: 447 (96!)
RC: 419 (75)
QA: 404 (48) - was expecting that. I guessed on 50% of the questions.
Chem: 444 (93!)

Conventions of Language: 3
Problem solving: 3

Composite: 431 (92)

I am shaking. I was so sure I would have to take this again. First time test taker, studied for 9 days using Kaplan book. I'm going to go celebrate now!!

GRATZ!!

quick question. you only studied for NINE days using JUST the kaplan book? everyone's been tellin me that kaplan book sucks LOL. How did you go about studying? GREAT score!! just make sure ur math score clears the minimum for your schools

GRATZ!!

quick question. you only studied for NINE days using JUST the kaplan book? everyone's been tellin me that kaplan book sucks LOL. How did you go about studying? GREAT score!! just make sure ur math score clears the minimum for your schools

Yeah...the problem was I got sick 3 weeks before, then finals from spring quarter were 1 week before it..so yeah, studied for 9 days with just the Kaplan book. The math section in Kaplan sucks, as you can see, lol. And, I'm not math whiz either. I studied about 12 hours a day, at least, in those nine days though.

I also had pretty much all the required courses under my belt including Orgo I and II, Biochem I and II and am a microbiology minor. The only thing I hadn't taken yet was physiology, which I studied from Kaplan.

I'm applying to Univ of Cincy, NEOUCOP and Ohio State (1st choice..doing my undergrad there). I don't know of any minimum math scores...just composite averages.

Yeah...the problem was I got sick 3 weeks before, then finals from spring quarter were 1 week before it..so yeah, studied for 9 days with just the Kaplan book. The math section in Kaplan sucks, as you can see, lol. And, I'm not math whiz either. I studied about 12 hours a day, at least, in those nine days though.

I also had pretty much all the required courses under my belt including Orgo I and II, Biochem I and II and am a microbiology minor. The only thing I hadn't taken yet was physiology, which I studied from Kaplan.

I'm applying to Univ of Cincy, NEOUCOP and Ohio State (1st choice..doing my undergrad there). I don't know of any minimum math scores...just composite averages.

Hey again nice scores! the math section really blows. I too have taken both semester of biochem, which kinda worries me. IS biochem on the PCATs as well?? oh well if it is im not too worried.

The organic chemistry secion is a joke on the kaplan book. Did u JUST study the ochem from ur kaplan book for the PCATs? if you did, then you must be a genius :D

Hey again nice scores! the math section really blows. I too have taken both semester of biochem, which kinda worries me. IS biochem on the PCATs as well?? oh well if it is im not too worried.

The organic chemistry secion is a joke on the kaplan book. Did u JUST study the ochem from ur kaplan book for the PCATs? if you did, then you must be a genius :D

I don't think biochem specifically is on the PCAT, but it helps with some of the bio questions I think. "Biology" is a reaalllly broad term when it comes to the PCAT, I think.

I guess I must have just remembered a lot from Orgo (All As and Bs in 3 lectures and 2 labs), since thinking back, yeah, the Kaplan Orgo really does suck, doesn't it? lol. But I didn't really go through any other notes or prep material.

I don't think biochem specifically is on the PCAT, but it helps with some of the bio questions I think. "Biology" is a reaalllly broad term when it comes to the PCAT, I think.

I guess I must have just remembered a lot from Orgo (All As and Bs in 3 lectures and 2 labs), since thinking back, yeah, the Kaplan Orgo really does suck, doesn't it? lol. But I didn't really go through any other notes or prep material.

ok good!! im just gonna assume that we are both on the same intelligence level and throw the ochem section in the trash. ahahahaha anyways GOOD LUCK with ur applications. you'll get in with those scores!:)

First time. Used Barron's and Kaplan books exclusively for about 1.5 months of nonchalant studying (an hour here or there) and 3 days of hardcore studying (~6 hrs a day).

I was expecting a score in the 70-80 range right after taking it, but then I got more confident the past few weeks, but the only subsection I would have guessed would be in the 90s was math. I ran out of time on one essay, and that must have been the graded one. I guess I'll have to rely on interview writing samples to show my real writing skillz.

Verbal - 92
Bio - 98
Reading - 94
Quant - 97
Chem - 96
Comp - 99

Writing - 2.0/3.0

What do you guys think adcoms will think about my craptastic writing score compared to everything else? I only have around a 3.4 GPA and I had to retake a couple classes.

EDIT: Oh and I have taken all prereqs except microbiology, and I'll have a BS by this spring.

First time. Used Barron's and Kaplan books exclusively for about 1.5 months of nonchalant studying (an hour here or there) and 3 days of hardcore studying (~6 hrs a day).

I was expecting a score in the 70-80 range right after taking it, but then I got more confident the past few weeks, but the only subsection I would have guessed would be in the 90s was math. I ran out of time on one essay, and that must have been the graded one. I guess I'll have to rely on interview writing samples to show my real writing skillz.

Verbal - 92
Bio - 98
Reading - 94
Quant - 97
Chem - 96
Comp - 99

Writing - 2.0/3.0

What do you guys think adcoms will think about my craptastic writing score compared to everything else? I only have around a 3.4 GPA and I had to retake a couple classes.

EDIT: Oh and I have taken all prereqs except microbiology, and I'll have a BS by this spring.

Dude, you have a NINETY-NINE composite. Shush! And you didn't BOMB the writing..2/3 isn't great, but it's not TERRIBLE. Besides, you have your PharmCAS personal statement to back you up and any supplemental essays. Just make sure you nail them!

Verbal - 92
Bio - 98
Reading - 94
Quant - 97
Chem - 96
Comp - 99

Writing - 2.0/3.0

man I wish...

Verbal - 92
Bio - 98
Reading - 94
Quant - 97
Chem - 96
Comp - 99

Writing - 2.0/3.0

Because of your writing score..you should definitely retake it.

I am a first-time test taker, never taken organic chemistry.

I am fairly pleased with my overall score but I am worried about my chemistry score. Should I bother retaking?

Verbal: 86
Biology: 94
RC: 86
QA: 80
Chemistry: 68
Composite: 88
Writing: 3.5/4.0

I am a first-time test taker, never taken organic chemistry.

I am fairly pleased with my overall score but I am worried about my chemistry score. Should I bother retaking?

Verbal: 86
Biology: 94
RC: 86
QA: 80
Chemistry: 68
Writing: 3.5/4.0

check with each school you are applying to. A 68 aint golden but its very very close to average. If you dont think u got what it takes to make the same if not better composite score to raise ur chem score, then dont retake it...although I want you to prove me wrong

IMO, you are fine. your other scores are >80 and are very consistent, this tells the adcoms that you didnt just score well ebcause of luck, you scored well because you're smart:thumbup:

Dude, you have a NINETY-NINE composite. Shush! And you didn't BOMB the writing..2/3 isn't great, but it's not TERRIBLE. Besides, you have your PharmCAS personal statement to back you up and any supplemental essays. Just make sure you nail them!

Well, I'm not complaining AT ALL. I'm super happy with my score, but if I saw that writing score it would kinda throw up a red flag. I guess there are chances to redeem it though. Like you said, personal statement and supplemental essays. I suppose I can spend my time on that that I may have spent studying for PCAT again.

how did you improve your reading so high?

Yay! I'm definitely happy with my scores! I'm totally good with keeping them and not taking this dreaded monster test again.

Verbal 419 77 (got 89 last time)
Biology 421 80
Reading 435 90 (got a 50 last time!)
Quant 404 48
(this isn't good...but I got a 24! last time and I'm just not really worried about quant b/c it would take a LOT of effort to do well on this section)
Chem 439 91
Comp. 424 85

writing 3/3
:thumbup:

So relieved!

will schools care that I got a 58 on the verbal and a 69 on the reading, I did however get a 96 on chemistry and 84 composite. I know 70 is usually the mark you need to hit in order to not raise any red flags, but as far as each subsection i dont know. Especially bc its just verbal and reading, do you think it is that BIG of a deal?

Verbal Ability 69
Biology 71
Re
ading Comprehension 69 (I could have sworn i got a perfect score on this)
Quan
titative Ability 73 (guessed on about 10)
Ch
emistry 98 (???? i ran out of time and guessed on four)
Comp
osite 86 (a very unbalanced 86)

writing 3/3

gpa: 3.73 in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Retake?
How will Pitt and Maryland treat me?

Verbal Ability 69
Biology 71
Re
ading Comprehension 69 (I could have sworn i got a perfect score on this)
Quan
titative Ability 73 (guessed on about 10)
Ch
emistry 98 (???? i ran out of time and guessed on four)
Comp
osite 86 (a very unbalanced 86)

writing 3/3

gpa: 3.73 in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Retake?
How will Pitt and Maryland treat me?

when you say you guessed on 10.. is that assuming you got everything else right? lol

Verbal: 60
Biology:49
Reading Comprehension: 64
Quantitative: 69
Chemistry: 12 :(
Composite: 41

I've already signed up for the October 16th date. I know my Chemistry score is absolutely terrible, but I can explain it. I hadn't taken Organic Chemistry at that point and during the test, I was only about half way through it when 5 minutes was called. I took Organic Chemistry over the summer and aced the class. I feel extremely confident about the Organic Chemistry on the PCAT now since looking back it seems very basic now. I believe that I can score in the 75+ on Chemistry when I take it again, but Pearson voids a score where there is the +50 difference. Should I be worried about this?

I had very little time to study for the PCAT and believe 100% I can improve on every subset especially Chemistry and Biology. Are there any recommendations for how to study for the PCAT?

So I had:
VA: 82
Bio: 71
RC: 57
QA: 92
Chem: 96
Comp: 89

Should I retake because of the Biology and Reading scores?

Verbal: 60
Biology:49
Reading Comprehension: 64
Quantitative: 69
Chemistry: 12 :(
Composite: 41

I've already signed up for the October 16th date. I know my Chemistry score is absolutely terrible, but I can explain it. I hadn't taken Organic Chemistry at that point and during the test, I was only about half way through it when 5 minutes was called. I took Organic Chemistry over the summer and aced the class. I feel extremely confident about the Organic Chemistry on the PCAT now since looking back it seems very basic now. I believe that I can score in the 75+ on Chemistry when I take it again, but Pearson voids a score where there is the +50 difference. Should I be worried about this?

I had very little time to study for the PCAT and believe 100% I can improve on every subset especially Chemistry and Biology. Are there any recommendations for how to study for the PCAT?

Yea i read about the +50 difference thing.... is that true?
Can you prove to them...that it's not a fluke or anything?

I am pretty sure that you can contest it if they void your score. You could send them a copy of your transcript that shows when you took organic - it seems pretty obvious that taking the class that the test is based on is going to improve your score significantly. I believe in the manual it gives a review class (like Kaplan) as an example of something that might raise your score that much. This case seems pretty similar.

Also, I think it's an increase of +50 on your composite score, not an individual section. So, while I am sure you can increase both your chem and composite score by +50, don't sweat it. Like pink said, if you crush the October test and they void your score, contest it, show them your summer grade explaining you hadn't had orgo yet and really buckled down to study for the October test, and you'll be fine. No worries!

I got:

Verbal 50 (this really sucks)
Biology 84 (i thought i got 99 for sure on this one)
Reading 69
Quantitative 90
Chemistry 99
Composite 91

Writing 3/3

This was my first time writing it. I know my verbal is really low compared to other grades I got, so I was wondering whether schools look at just composite after cut-off scores are met, or whether they look at each section individually? I'm trying to get into Toronto.

I'm a first time test taker, with 1 day of studying. Havent taken any organic yet either so i was pretty excited about my scores!

VA: 92
Bio: 98
RC:57
Quant:32
Chem: 91

Pretty happy copnsidering i hate reading in general and i havent taken a math class in two years.

Please answer?
Are the schools that you're applying to rolling admissions? If so then no...but if not then I'd say you should consider taking it again.

Also do you have a solid GPA (at or above 3.3?)

Last edited:
Are the schools that you're applying to rolling admissions? If so then no...but if not then I'd say you should consider taking it again.

Also do you have a solid GPA (at or above 3.3?)

I have a 3.51, but not a lot of rigorous classes. I've only taken the gen chem and first organic chem and I've only got one biology class further than what's required, I'm not sure if that's factored in but I guess it could be. They do rolling admissions, but its UK, so I figured it could be pretty competitive. But I'm also a KY resident, and they give preference to residents.

I have a 3.51, but not a lot of rigorous classes. I've only taken the gen chem and first organic chem and I've only got one biology class further than what's required, I'm not sure if that's factored in but I guess it could be. They do rolling admissions, but its UK, so I figured it could be pretty competitive. But I'm also a KY resident, and they give preference to residents.
An 89 is not a bad score! Assuming that everything else about your application is strong I believe that you're in good shape and if I were you you should focus on applying early since UK is rolling. That's just my two cents about it. Try the other forums especially in the Pre-Pharmacy threads like WAMC and should I retake it for other people's opinions (past and present)