June 19 PCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twiggy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured we'd start a different thread...not sure if the mods want this in the "what do my scores mean" sticky. First time taker, haven't taken any organic chem yet or A&P (self taught while studying for PCAT). Used Dr. Collins, Kaplan book, and the REA book:

Verbal Ability 423 82
Biology 455 98 :)
Reading Comp 419 75 :(
Quant Ability 429 84
Chemistry 434 88

Composite 432 92

Writing 3.0/3.0

Thank GOD I don't have to take it again in Oct.! Good luck to everyone! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Verbal Ability 443 95%
Biology 440 94%
Reading 435 90%
Quantitative 470 99%
Chemistry 455 96%
Overall 449% 99%

Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

I have two questions, though. Would everyone who used Pearson tests give what they scored on those? Also, if I were to make a study guide detailing what I did for the PCAT, where would be the best place to post it on StudentDoc? Thanks.

Well I would've never been able to sleep once I knew the scores were up. I was planning to take it twice more and had already paid for the 3 practice tests, but I got my scores and... couldn't believe it. Been out of school since '04 and crammed Dr Collins for Calc & Chem plus chem textbooks.

Verbal Ability 443 95%
Biology 435 91%
Reading 458 98%
Quantitative 440 92%
Chemistry 444 93%
Overall 444 98%

Writing 3/3 (If I didn't get even 3.5 on conventions of language I don't know who can get a 5)

Getting a 90 composite with an 85 chem was the dream score for me for my first test. Now I get to really focus on shadowing and experience instead of studying for 2 more PCATs. I know I can cancel my August test but I don't suppose I can cancel the practice tests (or sell them)?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty happy with my scores, wish my Chem were higher, Quant is as expected:

Composite 430 91
Chemistry 422 77
Quantitative Ability 419 73
Reading Comprehension 448 96
Biology 425 84
Verbal Ability 437 92

Essay 3/3 - thought I did better but everyone seems to get 3s.

Took the Pearson practice test and everything was pretty close to how I actually did. I did a little worse in Bio and and a little better in Chem in real life than I did on the practice. It told me I would get between 80 and 99 composite, and I got a 91.

I definitely think the fact that I took Gen Chem 16 long yrs ago impacted my score. I needed much more review of that brain crushing volume of material than I got. So many different things to remember in Gen Chem and I did not spend enough time reviewing it.

Last edited:
gah.. im gonna hold back from buying it.. >< i know i didnt do well.. so im gonna hold back.

Awesome score Sitagliptin. You mind telling me what study guides you used (Pearson tests, Kaplan, etc.) How long did u study? Also what you felt was on the test that threw you off (if anything since u got a 99. good job!!!)

Average is not 450. If you have 450 composite, your percentile will be ~99th percentile.
I second that kkusang.
Here's some info from http://www.uspharmd.com/student/pharmacy_college_admissions_test/

Average PCAT score
Average PCAT composite score of pharmacy school applicants: 399.44 (50 percentile)
Average PCAT composite score of applicants accepted: 412 (69 percentile)

^I'm fairly sure those are accurate figures

Btw, has anyone gotten above a 3 on the essay? I'm fairly sure one can score 4 or even a 5? Jw.

VA: 63
Bio: 66
RC: 98
QA: 94
Chem:95
Composite: 94

Botching two sections is a letdown but I'm more than happy with what I got. Chem was the most surprising for me as I haven't taken Organic Chem and just studied off of links I found on this site.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys great post!!

Listen im taking my PCAT in like 3 weeks. Ive reviewed EVERYTHING but Im still paranoid about missing something out. i got a few questions

should i be worried about thermochemistry and electrochemistry on the chemistry section?

Did you guys happen to find a lot of trigonometry on your math sections??

Also for the biology section, about how much Microbiology was on ur test. i havn't taken microbiology yet

NOTICE: i understand that it is against the law to share too much about the questions therefore I am asking for just a very very rough general estimate and answers!1 thanks a bunch!;)

Chemistry 455 96
Quantitative Ability 422 77
Reading Comprehension 415 69
Biology 418 76
Verbal Ability 406 58
Composite 84%
Extremely happy first time taker, cancelling my august test now

Chemistry 455 96
Quantitative Ability 422 77
Reading Comprehension 415 69
Biology 418 76
Verbal Ability 406 58
Composite 84%
Extremely happy first time taker, cancelling my august test now

yo you told me you were taking it again in August right? I think the testing center might be in Pamplin hall but idk lol:D

I am pretty happy with these, considering that my basic sciences are over ten years old. The quant score isn't awesome, but we didn't cover intergration/summation in my calc course and I suck at fast math anyway.

VA 437 92
Bio 440 94
RC 435 90
QA 416 69
Chem 434 88
Comp 432 92

Writing 3/3

I took all three practice tests from Pearson and across the board scored between 80 and 99th percentile.

First time taker here.
Didn't do as well as all of you, but I am satisfied given that I have not taken organic chem or microbio.

VA 92%
Bio 68%
RC 63%
Quant 80%
Chem 68%
Composite 80%

Writing 3/3

I feel like I could improve if I took it again - on the fence about doing so. Thoughts?

Also, I wanted to post my scores so that others not scoring in the mighty 90s wouldn't feel too intimidated to post!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome score Sitagliptin. You mind telling me what study guides you used (Pearson tests, Kaplan, etc.) How long did u study? Also what you felt was on the test that threw you off (if anything since u got a 99. good job!!!)

This is the study guide I wrote on the subject.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/blog.php?b=4189

The only things that gave me pause were some of the pre-calc questions (which I didn't really review that much) and one or two of the drug questions on bio.

First time taker here.
Didn't do as well as all of you, but I am satisfied given that I have not taken organic chem or microbio.

VA 92%
Bio 68%
RC 63%
Quant 80%
Chem 68%
Composite 80%

Writing 3/3

I feel like I could improve if I took it again - on the fence about doing so. Thoughts?

Also, I wanted to post my scores so that others not scoring in the mighty 90s wouldn't feel too intimidated to post!

Thanks for posting your scores belle. I think people should post their scores even if they are not in the 90 percentile. So stop lurking lurkers, post those scores.

This was my first (and last) time taking the PCAT. For those of you that care I've taken all the normal pharmacy pre-reqs and I used Kaplan to study.

VA 413 69%
Biology 430 88%
RC 441 94% :D
QA 422 77%
Chem 430 85%

Comp 427 88%
Writing 3/3

I was shocked to see my RC being that high. And for QA I didn't have a chance to give an honest attempt on the last 10 questions so I'm more than happy with my scores.

I studied for about a month before the exam (right after school got out in May) and probably committed at least 3 hrs a day to studying using the Kaplan online class material (M-F). I did use the Pearson practice tests and I scored just south of the lower boundary they gave me for VA and QA but the composite was spot on :)

Last edited:
65% composite. I guess I will be taking this test again. I scored 80% composite for all of the science and math sections at least... I was wrong to think I didn't need to practice for the verbal and reading comprehension.

dont be too upset with the 65 especially if you did well on the science part, if i would have gotten a 65 I would have really considered not taking it again, just make sure your school you go to is very prestigious and your gpa and major is good!

This was my first (and last) time taking the PCAT. For those of you that care I've taken all the normal pharmacy pre-reqs and I used Kaplan to study.

VA 413 69%
Biology 430 88%
RC 441 94% :D
QA 422 77%
Chem 430 85%

Comp 427 88%
Writing 3/3

I was shocked to see my RC being that high. And for QA I didn't have a chance to give an honest attempt on the last 10 questions so I'm more than happy with my scores.

I studied for about a month before the exam (right after school got out in May) and probably committed at least 3 hrs a day to studying using the Kaplan online class material. I did use the Pearson practice tests and I scored just south of the lower boundary they gave me for VA and QA but the composite was spot on :)

Are you all getting your scores early because you paid $20 to see it early?

Are you all getting your scores early because you paid $20 to see it early?
Yes, I hate myself a little for giving Pearson another $20 but I'm ultimately happy that I did. However, the amount of time I was doing checking the mail box, this forum, and the pearson website for news about the scores being posted was getting ridiculous (if not borderline obsessive!)

Yes, I hate myself a little for giving Pearson another $20 but I'm ultimately happy that I did. However, the amount of time I was doing checking the mail box, this forum, and the pearson website for news about the scores being posted was getting ridiculous (if not borderline obsessive!)

same here thats why i had to buy haha well at least i get my 75 bucks back from them so booya

dont be too upset with the 65 especially if you did well on the science part, if i would have gotten a 65 I would have really considered not taking it again, just make sure your school you go to is very prestigious and your gpa and major is good!

Thanks. Yeh, thankfully I have a 3.95 cumulative to carry that 65% composite. I just finished Organic II this week so I am sure I can increase my chemistry section around 10%, so I am not too worried. At least it was the verbal and RC that I tanked. Also, I have heard of many using Dr. Collins and increasing around 20% on the composite.

When did everyone receive theirs?....I am still waiting and it is frustrating! Speaking with Pearson, they mailed them out 2 days ago....damn postal service! I am about to spend the 20 dollars to view online!

When did everyone receive theirs?....I am still waiting and it is frustrating! Speaking with Pearson, they mailed them out 2 days ago....damn postal service! I am about to spend the 20 dollars to view online!

I think we all forked over the $20. I couldn't even get the page to work (kept telling me my zip code was invalid) so my husband had to monkey with it to get it to work. I was about to have a meltdown - everyone else posting their scores and me unable to even pay for mine!

I am super bad at standardized tests ( I got a 1010 on my SAT, CR & Math)

Well, if I were you, I would learn how to get good at them if you're really serious about pharmacy. You know that after pharmacy school you get to take another standardized test right? Ever heard of the NAPLEX?

First time taker here.

VA 92%
Bio 68%
RC 63%
Quant 80%
Chem 68%
Composite 80%

Writing 3/3

It probably depends on your GPA. If you have a solid GPA, I'd keep it. If your GPA is average, maybe think about a retake. I have an average GPA (3.38) and I have so many credits that it is just not going to go up much no matter how many As I get, so anything under 85 would have probably made me want to retake.

Also, if the schools that you are applying to post the average scores of incoming classes, that might aid your decision. If the average at all of your schools is in the 70-75 range, I would probably just keep it.

Has anyone noticed whether Pharmcas has received the scores? On my application it still doesn't list the test date under official tests, but I reported my PCAT CID and my scores are online at Pearson. Thanks!

Well, if I were you, I would learn how to get good at them if you're really serious about pharmacy. You know that after pharmacy school you get to take another standardized test right? Ever heard of the NAPLEX?

Yeah, but that test isn't terribly tough. At the lowest performing pharmacy schools, 80% of the people pass. Nearly all schools easily have more than 90% passing. You don't have to be good at standardized tests to pass that. I'm sure even a bad test taker can pass if they learned their stuff in pharmacy school.

someone, I dunno which thread it was, said they called Pearson and along with them saying they mailed the scores Wednesday morning that they'd expect the scores to show up on PharmCAS around Monday.

First time taker here.

VA 92%
Bio 68%
RC 63%
Quant 80%
Chem 68%
Composite 80%

Writing 3/3

Honestly, I wouldn't retake. A 80 composite is excellent and you didn't completely bomb any subsection. But then I guess it ultimately depends on how much more time you want to put into it and how much you think you would improve.

First, congrats to everyone who scored well!!!:)

I completely bombed the PCAT. I don't understand why I did so poorly. I have a BS in chemistry, took calc I-differential equations, was a math TA, organic tutor, have three years of research, and a published paper. I am seriously starting to reconsider the quality of my education! I can't believe I can ace something so obscure like quantum mechanics, but score poorly on this test. I am retaking the test in August and studying hardcore until then. Do you think admission committees will overlook my previous score if I score significantly better on the next test? Any suggestions for new study tactics? Again, congrats to those of you who did well!

GPA: 3.84
Major GPA: 3.7
Math GPA: 3.95

quick question, do schools average your pcats together if you take more than one to get a score, or do they just take the highest composite score?

Just got my score half an hour ago:

Verbal ability 423 82%
Biology 455 98%
Reading 435 90%
Quantitative 455 97%
Chemistry 485 99%

Composite 451 99% :D

Writing 3/3

I am so glad that I don't have to take this again. So here is the question: Who want my study materials? I have Dr. Collins package and some MCAT/AP Biology and reading passages... I will not touch them again so they may be of a better use if I pass them along to someone who need them more than I do now.

Last edited:
I believe that most schools just take your highest score? Correct me if I'm wrong on that though, it's just what I have been always told.

I still want to know what it takes to score above a 3/3 on writing :confused:

I believe that most schools just take your highest score? Correct me if I'm wrong on that though, it's just what I have been always told.

I still want to know what it takes to score above a 3/3 on writing :confused:

Each school does it differently. Some average, some take the highest total score, some take the most recent, some take the highest score from each section. There's no telling.

Not many people score above a 3/3 on writing, but it doesn't matter. That's all you need.

Yay! I'm definitely happy with my scores! I'm totally good with keeping them and not taking this dreaded monster test again.

Verbal 419 77 (got 89 last time)
Biology 421 80
Reading 435 90 (got a 50 last time!)
Quant 404 48
(this isn't good...but I got a 24! last time and I'm just not really worried about quant b/c it would take a LOT of effort to do well on this section)
Chem 439 91
Comp. 424 85

writing 3/3
:thumbup:

So relieved!

Last edited:
I was rather disappointed, even though it was my first time taking it. Didn't really use any study guides... guess I need to. Haha. Timing was really an issue for me.

Overall composite of 66%.

My lowest was quant... I severely ran out of time.
Second lowest was RC. What?!
Highest was Verbal Ability ... (but I can't read apparently)..
Chem was pretty high...
Biology was a little on the low side.

Essay 3.0/3.0

Hope there are some people that didn't get 80s and 90s like me.

Last edited:
I'm a second-time test taker and I could use some advice. here are my scores from june pcat:

VA 82 (77 last time)
Bio 76 (75 last time)
RC 14 :mad: (66 last time)
QA 92 (88 last time)
Chem 93 (64 last time)
Composite 80 (79 last time)

I knew I messed up on the RC section b/c I barely had time to read half of the passages! I don't know what happened, normally I finish early! I'm applying right now and am worried b/c I know they take the highest composite, but this latest test has a 14 for RC.

My gpa is pretty low too, like about 3.0. I don't plan on retaking it since I'm applying right now and that would delay me a lot I feel. What do you guys think? Any advice/something to make me feel better? haha

stats: first and last time taker, no orgo or microbio, reviewed kaplan 2010-2011 guide for 2 weeks, incoming sophomore year at Pitt, conditional acceptance 2-4 program, cumulative GPA: 3.82, sciences/math GPA: 3.8

Verbal Ability: 82
Biology: 91
Reading Comprehension: 86
Quantitative Ability: 80
Chemistry: 77
Writing: 3/3

Composite: 88